Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Here We Go Again
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Here We Go Again

Aug 30, 2007, 8:45 AM

Here We Go Again

I guess it is funny the difference a year can make. Last year I had an uneasy feeling that the 2006 football season was not going to be as grand as many of you felt it was destined to be. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can I have some of what you are smoking Rhymer?***

Aug 30, 2007, 8:55 AM

Pot Rhymer, lol. Just kidding, I tend to agree with Scott.

Aug 30, 2007, 9:10 AM

I'm not sure I agree with the GT loss, but 9-3 or 10-2 is my prediction.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, there you go again...

Aug 30, 2007, 12:47 PM

In my circle of Tiger supporters, there is a lot of excitement about the talent we have this year. But, and it's a big "but," the expectations are tempered by a lack of confidence in this coaching staff. The implosion last year is on everyone's mind, and will be all season. Even if we are 8-0 or 7-1, we'll be holding our collective breath that we do not repeat the nose dive of 2006. I hope Tommy and his staff learned from last year. Injuries are a part of the game and they will happen. With a little luck, or if you prefer, providence, I agree this could be a special year for our Tigers. Wake Forest certainly seemed to be "God's Team" last year. They lost their starting QB and RB, speaking of injuries, were picked dead last in the division, and ended up in the Orange Bowl. Grobe is also a man of faith, so maybe it's Tommy's turn this year. Time will tell. I think the bar is high for Tommy to stay another season. With the seat equity plan in place, fans will expect an improved product on the field. I'm pulling for him. Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's crazy! 12-0 is more like it!***

Nov 28, 2022, 2:15 PM

Re: Here We Go Again

Aug 30, 2007, 9:11 AM

I agree on the final record. Been saying 10-2 all preseason. I also expect one of those losses to come at the hands of VT and that we will face VT again in Jax. Whether we win the ACCCG is a prediction best left until at least 8 weeks into the season. It will, indeed, be hard to beat us twice. I wouldn't dream of predicting a loss in Jax at this point. Who knows what toll the 12-game season will take on the Hokies or us? By that time they, or we, could be without the services of some key players.

Anyway, I agree, Scott, it's going to be a special year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

I like the optimism, I'll take it!***

Aug 30, 2007, 9:13 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

ugghhh...he talks about the crazy optimists that thought

Aug 30, 2007, 9:13 AM

we were closing in on an Acc title last year....i know we stunk down the stretch, but someone please remind me how "far" we were from an ACC title?

Re: ugghhh...he talks about the crazy optimists that thought

Aug 30, 2007, 9:36 AM

It might as well have been a mile.

For what it's worth, I think we would have gotten there with Harper taking over for Proctor. So we get there this year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Impossible to know how Harper would have done, but

Aug 30, 2007, 10:15 AM

knowing now what we didn't know then...it sure would have been nice to find out.

I bet, if the coaches could go back in time, Harper replaces Proctor after VT. It was becoming apparent, at Wake, then even in the GT game, that Proctor didn't have the long ball...not even close.

Would be nice to go into '07 with a QB with a smidge of experience. It's 20-20 looking back, ain't it?

8-4 this yr is my guess***

Aug 30, 2007, 9:14 AM

LoL... easy guess***

Aug 30, 2007, 11:07 AM

I thought the ACC CG loser goes to Altanta?

Aug 30, 2007, 9:23 AM

Since I have tix for that game already, that would not be all bad.

Re: I thought the ACC CG loser goes to Altanta?

Aug 30, 2007, 9:37 AM

Isn't the Peach for the #3 ACC team?

I was under the impression that it had moved to #2 to

Aug 30, 2007, 9:45 AM

prevent the loser of the CG from travelling back to Jax, especially after getting beat.

Re: I was under the impression that it had moved to #2 to

Aug 30, 2007, 10:00 AM

it has, the number 3 now goes to jacksonville. but again the peach always has the ability to take someone else so even if we dont make it to jacksonville we still could play in the peach

Yeah. My point was that I would see us going to Atlanta if

Aug 30, 2007, 10:11 AM

we lost the ACC CG.

It's not set in stone, we could go anywhere...

Aug 30, 2007, 10:54 AM

The bowls can choose whomever they want as long as that team is within 1 game of the best available team's record. Remember also that the loser of the CG could have a much worse record than the 2nd place team in the conference.

For example, VT could be 12-0, playing in the CG and GT could be 2nd in their division at 11-1. On our side, a team could go to the CG with 3 conference losses. Losing the CG would add another loss. Surely, GT would get the 2nd place bowl. There's no telling how far down the loser could fall in the bowl selection.

BigCat

Of all the positive statements made here,

Aug 30, 2007, 9:33 AM

this is the one that rings true:
If there were a coach in America that deserves a break, or a ball to bounce in his favor, it is certainly Bowden.
When compared to other programs, including the one down the road, Tommy deserves a break if for nothing else than the type of program he runs at Clemson.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

We all know that a ball bouncing in our favor is based

Aug 30, 2007, 9:42 AM

solely upon Ron Cherry's discretion

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you for not saying "by enlarge".***

Aug 30, 2007, 9:46 AM

Bowden has performed best when on the "hot seat."

Aug 30, 2007, 9:55 AM

Therefore, I don't think 10-2 is outside the realm of possibility. I said earlier I think 8-4 is reasonable to hope for and anything more is gravy.

One thing I disagree with Rhymer on - you better believe that if the Tigers suffer bookend losses to the 'noles and the coots and don't impress in between, Bowden will be in serious trouble.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we go 10-2,T-Net might explode before the NEXT season***

Aug 30, 2007, 10:03 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"God has way more...

Aug 30, 2007, 10:21 AM

"God has way more important things on his plate than Clemson football."

Blasphemy I tell you!! Blasphemy!!

;)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

We've got the defense to do it.

Aug 30, 2007, 11:25 AM

On paper we have the special teams to do it (new coach, great reports in fall camp, spiller/ford returning kicks)
Great big huge ? mark on offense.
Of course there's those infamous bad breaks to like the missed call on the BC kickoff return and the missing lineman calling back a td vs MD last year. We see soon enough. I don't really like our chances vs MD though.

Aug 30, 2007, 11:53 AM

Good article...if given the opportunity, I would take it right now and call it a season.

we were in a similar po-zish when we won the NC in 81

Aug 30, 2007, 12:24 PM

just saying I like this guy's optimistic approach this year

i said the same thing about a month ago and was ridiculed

Aug 30, 2007, 2:38 PM

for it. Typical that they down dig a grave for you.

Finally someone gets it - Bowden back in 2008 regardless...***

Aug 30, 2007, 1:19 PM

Gator Bowl?

Aug 30, 2007, 1:31 PM

I thought the Peach was second choice after BCS?

Re: Gator Bowl?

Sep 1, 2007, 12:49 AM

I thought the same.

One extra thing the ACC BCS team gets this year is playing the last Gator Bowl ever in the Gator Bowl as it's going to be torn down after this season.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 30, 2007, 2:00 PM

Apparently you haven't been to the same meetings that I have attended. I have neverr seen Bowden anything but an arrogant a$$hole who gets by with limited football knowledge by being a Bowden..

You're a what...who gets by with what?***

Aug 30, 2007, 2:19 PM

I've met Bowden many times and have ................

Aug 30, 2007, 5:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Here We Go Again ]

the opposite impression of him. The times I've meet him he couldn't have been more cordial with his time.

I imagine somebody out there probably thinks you're a a$$hole also and I know there are people who think that about me.

The majority of people that I know who've meet him would not agree with you on that issue, no matter what they think of his coaching.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With 4 cupcakes, expecting 6-2 on remainder is reasonable.

Aug 30, 2007, 2:11 PM

Like Charlie Brown getting ready to kick a Lucy-held football, for some reason I am optimistic for 10-2 or better. With 4 cupcakes on the schedule, if Clemson goes less than 5-3 in the real games (9-3 overall), that would be terrible.

I greatly respect Tommy's faith and good works. But if he doesn't win the ACC-A this year, I hope they keep him on board as the team chaplain and hire a top tier head coach.

God is omnipotent. He doesn't need a priority list.

Aug 30, 2007, 2:23 PM

Even if God has "way more important things on his plate than Clemson football", He doesn't need to work His way down a list of priorities, like us humans.

And besides, God has already blessed Tommy with many good things.

Sounds great to me, but forgetting one thing

Aug 30, 2007, 3:34 PM

Chick-fil-a bowl= number 2 in the conference, not the gator bowl

Aug 30, 2007, 3:38 PM

Curb your enthusiasm folks; the coaching staff couldn't solve the VT defensive scheme (jamming the run and forcing the tigers to pass) in five games last year, how do we know they do any better this year? The inability to come up with a counter strategy was the biggest disappointment last year and a reflection of inadequate coaching.

Aug 30, 2007, 5:23 PM

The way I look at it ...if TB was the great coach, recruiter, administrator and all 'round' Mr Savior, others would be trying to hire him. To my knowledge, NOONE is! Ask yourself why..

Aug 30, 2007, 10:23 PM

Maybe because of his long contract...

Aug 30, 2007, 6:58 PM

I have too agree with this man.I have been watching tiger football since 1977 and I honestly believe that although young this is the most talent we have had on this team since the 80's and early 90's. We have more talent than Florida State and I believe Bowden knows that he just plays it off. We have been better for a couple of years now. So I expected to win Monday and I would be greatly disappointed if we don't win our division in the acc. People don't understand the talent we have. Clemson by 14 on Monday

come on now, if you pick specific games and miss

Aug 31, 2007, 8:07 AM

them,happening to get the number right is meaningless. i think we have a good team too, and don't think tb will choke on the qb situation again this year.

Where do I sign to get this deal? I will take it!!!!!!***

Sep 1, 2007, 12:15 AM

Sep 1, 2007, 6:46 PM

On a quick tally Scott Rymers gut was wrong in 2006 about - FSU, WF, GT, BC and Maryland last year, but by accident the win loss column happened to be close enough for him to still be an expert. AMAZIG!

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic