Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thursday Clemson Football Practice Brief
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Aug 23, 2007, 8:31 PM

Clemson returned to the practice fields for a three-hour practice on Thursday afternoon. It was the first practice for the Tigers since the start of school on Wednesday. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can also name another freshman, do I have to say it!***

Aug 23, 2007, 8:38 PM

Besides the one you're referring to; I say Gilchrist sees

Aug 24, 2007, 9:53 AM

a lot of action as well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thursday Clemson Football Practice Brief

Aug 23, 2007, 8:49 PM

looks like we will waste 5 or 6 kids redshirt years yet again as they play 100 plays or less

Yea'...big waste.***

Aug 23, 2007, 9:17 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Re: Thursday Clemson Football Practice Brief

Aug 23, 2007, 9:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Thursday Clemson Football Practice Brief ]

You do realize that the majority of those kids who didn't lodge 100 snaps asked not to be redshirted, right?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You might want to consider

Aug 23, 2007, 9:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Thursday Clemson Football Practice Brief ]

that there are some kids who won't redshirt for good reasons we don't know about. For example, perhaps in recruiting a promise was made to not redshirt, or perhaps the coaches feel that a freshman who could be a major contributor on special teams is worthy of missing a redshirt.

While you say it's a waste, always consider there could be something more behind it.

part of me wants to agree with you but it would also be a

Aug 23, 2007, 10:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Thursday Clemson Football Practice Brief ]

waste if we redshirt them and they leave after playing only two years. i feel like if they can come in and contribute then let them play early, even if it's only a few dozen plays.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you agree

Aug 23, 2007, 11:27 PM

that we have missed the ACC championship game the last 2 years by ONE play, then if the coaches feel that a true fresman can potentially make a difference on that one play that matters, then let him play

Yeah... What if Spiller & Ford had redshirted last year?******

Aug 23, 2007, 11:36 PM

Hot seat coaches can't afford to redshirt.

Aug 23, 2007, 11:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Thursday Clemson Football Practice Brief ]

For the most part, I think you have to give them the benefit of the doubt on reshirting decisions. However, if Bowden is feeling some heat under his seat, I could imagine that he might err on the side of playing true freshman, since he may not be around to reap the benefits of a redshirt.

If Bowden knew for a fact that he'd be at Clemson for the next five years, I wonder if he wouldn't redshirt Korn.

Re: Hot seat coaches can't afford to redshirt.

Aug 24, 2007, 7:59 AM

if Korn does not play this year we lose Parker!!he has said this on more than one ocassion!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's important to have true freshmen play for recruits who

Aug 24, 2007, 8:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Thursday Clemson Football Practice Brief ]

don't want to redshirt themselves. That a litmus test for some of the better recruits, so it ends up evening out. You might get a less productive year out of a true freshman for playing them, but you are able to more easily reload on the recruiting trail.

I remember reading about Kevin Alexander last season.

Aug 24, 2007, 8:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Thursday Clemson Football Practice Brief ]

His family really wanted him to avoid a redshirt, and though he didn't get that many snaps, the coaching staff obliged. It sounds now that this guy has turned into a really good football player. Now, it could be the position change, but participating in highly focused practices as a freshman getting playing time probably didn't hurt his development. I would rather have a true sophomore who is a major contributor than a redshirt freshman who's just now starting to focus on competing for a job.

This is nothing but a flame. Where are you, iceland? Our

Aug 24, 2007, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Thursday Clemson Football Practice Brief ]

coache's may have given their word to not red shirt some / a lot of these kids.

Leave the "Say what they want to hear, but then do whatever I want to do" to the other state school in Cola.

Re: This is nothing but a flame. Where are you, iceland? Our

Aug 24, 2007, 5:09 PM

That was not a flame. I know of parents and kids who were pissed that they/their sons did not redshirt. Playing less than 100 plays accomplishes nothing but wastes a year of development and productivity.

Now if you are skipping the redshirt year of lets say... Cj Spiller and Jacoby Ford - who both played a ton. Then yes it is worthwhile

Bill Cowher

Aug 24, 2007, 2:52 PM

Is Bill Cowher coming to Clemson?

No. Bill Cowher is from PA, so he's disqualified. ******

Aug 25, 2007, 4:41 PM

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic