Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Format for 2007 ACC Baseball Championship Announced
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

May 3, 2007, 10:34 AM

Eight teams will compete in the league championship May 23-27. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb(not you Crump, the format)***

May 3, 2007, 10:50 AM

didn't I hear about this last summer?***

May 3, 2007, 10:51 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2013_bowl_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes-- this is just a reminder of how dumb the new format is***

May 3, 2007, 10:52 AM

Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with it. I've never

May 3, 2007, 10:54 AM

liked a 5th or 6th starter in the Championship game. All in all, it doesn't matter much to me.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2013_bowl_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the use of a tiebreaker of any form to determine a

May 3, 2007, 10:59 AM

tournament championship is ridiculous--- and to your point- since when are 5th and 6th starters not part of a team? If this is the route they are going, then they need to eliminate the tournament and just add an 11th conf. series or eliminate 1 series and start the tourney earlier to allow better spacing of the games.

I agree about the tiebreaker stuff. To be devil's advocate

May 3, 2007, 11:13 AM

what if Sean Clark had given up 9 runs in a loss instead of winning. He wasn't part of the team per se until we ran out of pitchers in the ACC tournament. Most would gripe about having to use so many pitchers and increasing risk of injuries right before regionals. I wouldn't mind the 11th conf. series and just crown a regular seasono ACC champ. It's kind of catch-22. The format isn't popular and has crappy tiebreakers, the other format kills teams with only 4 or less legit starters, etc.

I would 100% be for an 11th series

May 3, 2007, 11:22 AM

And no ACC tourney

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Another case of overthinking a problem

May 3, 2007, 10:55 AM

Or more accurately, creating a problem where there is none, and then overthinking it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Creating a problem where there was none is exactly right

May 3, 2007, 11:16 AM

If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I actually like the format

May 3, 2007, 11:29 AM

You won't have two teams playing a three game series just to decide who goes to the championship game, and you won't have a situation in which the number 1 overall seed is the team still playing at 2AM on the night before the championship game.

The tie-breaker comes into play only in the situation in which 3 teams all go 2-1 in pool play, and then the tie goes to the team that was the best team over the course of a 30 game regular season (by putting the odd seeds in one pool and the evens in the other, you have minimized the effect of interim tiebreakers on that outcome).

The format gives all 8 teams invited an RPI boost right before the tourney (not necessarily so in the old format). It gives the fans that actually attend the tourney - and by proxy the television crews that cover it - a set schedule of games more than a week in advance. And it saves your pitching staff from pitching 45 to 54 innings in a 3-day period, 5 days prior to the only weekend that matters - Regionals.

To me, this is a positive.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I loved the old format: the team with the best pitchers wins

May 3, 2007, 11:30 AM

Nothing showed who had the manliest pitchers like the conference tournament. If you didn't have enough good pitchers, you better score touchdowns. Even the regionals and CWS didn't reward good pitching like the conference tournament did (Although, almost always, the team with the best pitchers wins those tournaments as well).

Tournament = Something to do until Regionals Start

May 3, 2007, 1:29 PM

I never was one to much care about the tourney and as such only attended one in my son's four years. My theory is to get out of them healthy, rested, and ready for the next weekend.

Why is Swofford still the commissioner? Idiotic******

May 3, 2007, 1:32 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic