Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Commentary: Bowden, Phillips Focus On Future Of Program
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

Jan 8, 2007, 4:51 PM

Dan Scott offers up his opinion of the press gatherings held Monday at Clemson. Audio of both Bowden and Phillips to follow later. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

oh wow***

Jan 8, 2007, 4:59 PM

I feel better after reading this.***

Jan 8, 2007, 5:01 PM

puts to rest a lot, and then brings up more new questions***

Jan 8, 2007, 5:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sucks for Bowden that he enters a make or break season

Jan 8, 2007, 5:04 PM

with a QB making his first start.

Well, at least he gets another chance....but he did make

Jan 8, 2007, 5:06 PM

things a lot harder on himself next year with the team's performance at the end of this year.

Whose fault is that?***

Jan 8, 2007, 5:07 PM [ in reply to Sucks for Bowden that he enters a make or break season ]

no kidding, no one to blame but himself***

Jan 8, 2007, 5:16 PM

himself and parity***

Jan 8, 2007, 5:28 PM

I can point out 20 programs that aren't affected by "parity"***

Jan 8, 2007, 5:48 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he can point finger at himself...he recruits and develops***

Jan 8, 2007, 10:34 PM [ in reply to Sucks for Bowden that he enters a make or break season ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sucks for Bowden that he enters a make or break season

Jan 9, 2007, 9:23 PM [ in reply to Sucks for Bowden that he enters a make or break season ]

Its Tommys own fault when you look at his bad coaching job this season and the uninspired play on the field in thelast half of the season.Couple that with the uninspired and bad bowl performance,Tommy put himself on the hot seat.If he is fired next year,he has no one to blame but himself.

same ol', same ol'***

Jan 8, 2007, 5:02 PM

Sounds like TDP isn't a fan of CTB's jokes...***

Jan 8, 2007, 5:04 PM

"Put up or shut up" time has finally arrived...thank God.***

Jan 8, 2007, 5:06 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Will you be thanking God if we put up?***

Jan 8, 2007, 5:07 PM

We all will be....***

Jan 8, 2007, 5:09 PM

Of course...but after 8 years, it does seem like a prayer.***

Jan 8, 2007, 5:12 PM [ in reply to Will you be thanking God if we put up?*** ]

Don't you mean 15+ years?***

Jan 8, 2007, 5:21 PM

No...TB has been given much more than West

Jan 8, 2007, 5:28 PM

but has failed to average an appreciably higher win total.

Example: Tommy West got next to nothing in facilities upgrades. TB? West End Zone, new locker rooms, new weight room, completely renovated stadium and concourses, crown removed from field at his request, etc. The commitment has been there during TB's tenure - he just hasn't delivered.

In fairness, one could say that TB is just a better salesman

Jan 8, 2007, 5:53 PM

... than TW was. I don't recall TW ever bringing up facilities as an issue. Mind you, I don't think it's necessarily the coach's job to bring attention to facilities, but TB certainly did a great job of doing that.

The funny thing is that when TB first started squawking about facilities, most of us called BS on him. It soon became apparent that we were in fact behind the curve on facilities.

That being said, there are programs out there doing more with less.

BigCat

Re: "Put up or shut up" time has finally arrived...thank God.***

Jan 9, 2007, 9:25 PM [ in reply to "Put up or shut up" time has finally arrived...thank God.*** ]

Its about time!

Re: Maybe we will see a consistent effort similar to the end

Jan 8, 2007, 5:09 PM

of 2003 by the whole staff. It seems TB gets the team ready when he is under fire. From today's presser it clearly appears, to me, that the goals for 2007 have been clearly defined and anything short will result in using that "availble fund" TDP spoke of. I hope that the 2007 season is a success with the Tigers going into every game giving maximum effort with a game plan that will allow for positive results.

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When the crisis arises the time for preparedness has passed.

True, just wish he didn't NEED pressure to win...would like

Jan 8, 2007, 5:18 PM

have the same motivation for every game, no matter the circumstances.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: True, just wish he didn't NEED pressure to win...would like

Jan 9, 2007, 9:26 PM

I really dont care becuse Tommy has brought this on himself.We should have no pity for his excuses.

Re: Commentary: Bowden, Phillips Focus On Future Of Program

Add to the list of things to fix:

1. Coaches making game adjustments during the game.
2. Improve our passing game.
3. Put our best players on the field and use them.
4. Reduce the number of jokes certain coaches make in press conferences.

You notice we will be address several issues during the

Jan 8, 2007, 5:19 PM

offseason - why aren't they addressed during the season? Kick Coverage? We have to wait for the offseason to address this? Pass Coverage is an off season issue?

So the bottom line is

We, as Clemson fans, need to be positive, let the players know we are behind them instead of writing the rumors that are seen on here about certain players leaving, changes or whatever.
It is time for you to make a decision, back TB and his program or find another school. TB will do it.

Oh here already someone is making a comment about TB and that TDP doesn't think too much of TB's remarks. Wrong. It is all the way it is written. The media will do anything and say it anyway they want to if they think it will cause a rift. Knowing TDP he probably smiled when asked and just did not answer. For him to comment on how hard TB works...he knows the truth. I would just hate to be an assistant at this point. It is not going to be pretty when they all meet.

I have no doubt that we will be better next year. Bank on it.

Re: So the bottom line is

Jan 8, 2007, 5:18 PM

My problem is TB does better when behind the 8 ball. I want him to do well as a front runner.

Better than 8-5?***

Jan 8, 2007, 5:22 PM [ in reply to So the bottom line is ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Better than 8-5?***

Jan 9, 2007, 9:32 PM

Not near good enough when you have 4 wins against lesser teams on the schedule!6 wins fired!7 wins fired!8 wins depends whor they are agaisnt right teams job safe no extension!9 wins saves and extend contract!The bottom line is anything less than 8 quality wins will result in the firing of a very average coach>

Re: So the bottom line is

Jan 8, 2007, 5:27 PM [ in reply to So the bottom line is ]

Let's do it! But I am not looking forward to another year of excuses and prissing up and down the sidelines while crying to the referees. Just WIN...WE HAD AND STILL HAVE THE TALENT, but time is running out.

Tommy West vs. Tommy Bowden

Jan 8, 2007, 6:52 PM

Tommy West didn't get the facilities-he didn't get the wins either. He did manage to take us to 3 bowl games. We lost all 3. Rememember Syracuse 41-0. He did manage to lose every game to FSU-one 48-0. He did manage to go 3-8 in his last season losing to both Duke and WF in the same year. He lost to Virginia Tech 37-0 that year. That was the most embarrassing Home Game I ever attended. He finished 3-2 with SC, a sweet send off from the team in his last game. Don't get me wrong. He was a class guy and still is. But some act as if CTB took over the 10-2,program CDF left and not the 3-8 one TW left.

Like most of you, I believe we could and should have won more games this year. We should have beat Maryland and played in the ACCCCG. But woulda and shoulda will not change the fact that TB WILL be our coach next year and we'd better support him because he is CLEMSON FOOTBALL for that year. When we damage him, we damage our own program. When we circulate stupid untrue rumors we hurt our program, not just him, but Clemson.

And if he gets all the blame, should he not get a little credit. He has beat FSU, 3 of the last 4, He did beat a pretty good Tennesee team in 03, a pretty good Miami team in 04, SC- 6 of 8 times. He has beaten some pretty good coaches in those games, with less talent in some cases. And if we do have better talent than some teams we lost to, doesn't he at least get a little credit for having that talent. Afterall, he is the CEO.
I hardly ever write on this board and believe me I am ever bit as disappointed and frustrated by this season as you are, but I wonder, if we change coaches will we be as fortunate as UGA? Or will we be like Nebraska after Solich? It can go either way.

Nice post - agree 100%***

Jan 8, 2007, 7:00 PM

DITTO******

Jan 8, 2007, 7:22 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Re: Tommy West vs. Tommy Bowden

Jan 8, 2007, 7:30 PM [ in reply to Tommy West vs. Tommy Bowden ]

Very well said.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post!!!!!

Jan 8, 2007, 9:11 PM [ in reply to Tommy West vs. Tommy Bowden ]

You nailed it right on the head. I wish all of these recliner Coaches on the board would read your post, and think before the post something negative.

You threw a lot of examples of TW losses, and

Jan 8, 2007, 10:31 PM [ in reply to Tommy West vs. Tommy Bowden ]

there are a lot of TB bad losses as well:

TT 55-15
WF 45-17
FSU 54-7
VT 41-20
UNC 38-3
NCSU 38-6
UGA 30-0
TAMU 27-6
UVA 30-10

TB has been given a much longer leash than TW. TDP is re-iterating that 8-5 and zero conf titles is not good enough at this point. The cards are on the table. Let's hope TB can coach up a freshman QB and win the Atlantic.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: True enough, but TB is only 37-27 in ACC and

Jan 9, 2007, 9:36 AM [ in reply to Tommy West vs. Tommy Bowden ]

he is playing schools with losing records. 5 teams he got wins from this year had losing records, He is a good man but not a good coach.

Re: BRAVO

Jan 9, 2007, 9:29 PM [ in reply to Tommy West vs. Tommy Bowden ]

Good points. I agree!

GO TIGERS!!! in every sport

Two things are a little strange here

Jan 8, 2007, 7:43 PM

they have seperate press conferences after they have a meeting a week before. Do you think CTB thought he better meet with the Press before the boss did or he was just given that courtesy by TDP. From what I read here would have loved to been in that meeting they had just to hear what TDP said.

NO need to raise

Jan 8, 2007, 8:47 PM

questions about something you know nothing about. It does not make any difference. Could have been a lot of conflicts with other things on...gee

what a dumb freakin comment

Jan 8, 2007, 9:54 PM

"no need to raise questions about something you know nothing about"?

better to just guess huh?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Maybe the reason for the seperate press conferences is...

Jan 8, 2007, 10:26 PM

1) Bowden took Spurrier's advice and asked for a raise
or
2) Each one wanted all the attention
or
3) TDP didn't want to answer specific questions with Bowden in his prescence in front of all the press.

Kinda strange but hopefully we are moving in the right direction. We don't need problems within the program when we are trying to persuade recruits to be Clemson Tigers... We need stability. I like CTB, he is a good coach and he does not sway from beliefs. I just hope he learns from his mistakes. Heck, we all make mistakes but let's not make the same ones over and over.

I agree. Hopefully, we won't get a penalty for 10 men on

Jan 9, 2007, 12:27 AM

the field this year. That one's cost us the ACCCG 2 years in a row.

Dan also wanted to give Shyatt more time.***

Jan 9, 2007, 1:44 AM

Re: clemson SOL for 2007

Jan 9, 2007, 9:31 AM

lets fire Phillips and Tommy Boy. Phillips never said how many people offered money to buy out TB's contract.

Re: Commentary: Bowden, Phillips Focus On Future Of Program

Jan 10, 2007, 8:56 AM

After reading the articles concerning Tommy Bowden and Mr. Philips, I have come to the following conclusion: Based on past performance , I have no confidence in Tommy Bowden's coaching or administrative ability. Also, based on past performance I have no confidence in Clemson's evaluation or hiring ability.

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic