Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Win In Bag, Next Trick Is To Fix Sick Kicks
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Sep 17, 2006, 3:49 PM

Upon further review, protection wasn't necessarily the cause of the kicking malfunctions which plagued Clemson Saturday night in Tallahassee. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This Quote Makes Me Feel Very Positive About Bowden

Sep 17, 2006, 5:31 PM

"When your at a school where my son has graduated from, my daughter getting ready to graduate from, and this is my eighth year employed here, you get attached to the school and work hard to try and achieve what they want to achieve," he said. "The fans have been really supportive, traveling on the road to cheer for us. I think more of it in terms of that sense, rather than personal gratification."

I've always liked Bowden as a man, but that solidifies my opinion of him even more.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This Quote Makes Me Feel Very Positive About Bowden

Sep 17, 2006, 6:57 PM

What's not to like about a coach that can win and graduate players and keep the riff-raff out of our U. He's got class and is building something special.

Re: This Quote Makes Me Feel Very Positive About Bowden

Sep 17, 2006, 8:18 PM

I agree with this assessment very much. People still talk about Danny, but I would rather have Tommy in today's environment. I don't want to start a Danny rant, but I have to say this: I enjoyed Danny while he was coaching at Clemson, but I was glad when heis tenure ended because I was tired of Clemson representing not just great football, but also coming to represent recruiting violations, players that could not graduate, and athletes that felt that they were above the rules/law/school. I have talked with Danny in social environments on a couple of occasions, and he is a good guy, a fun conversationalist, and cares about Clemson. But I am glad he is not the coach today.
Tommy appears to be a good guy who recruits good people and good players, gets his players to graduate, and wins ballgames. That is a good combination. If he fails on any of those elements-including winning ballgames-then we look for someone else.

Re: "I don't want to start a Danny rant" = TOTAL Bulls#!+

Sep 17, 2006, 10:11 PM

I don't dislike Danny, and I am glad he was and is associated with Clemson. But when he left it was time for him to go, and he would not be a good fit now-not unless he changed so much as to be unrecognizable. I am no academic with a grudge, but I am graduate with a degree from an institution that I am proud of. But I will admit that my pride in Clemson is more related to its academic reputation than its athletic. Team performance will vary from year to year, but my degree will always be from Clemson.

Again, I don't dislike Danny, and did not/do not want to take a shot at him. But just last week, after the loss to BC, the "Bring Back Danny" folks were out again. Years ago I grew tired of hearing Clemson bashed-justifiably-for recruiting violations, marginal student-athletes, and general boorish behavior by football players. Football coaches can move on to other jobs/schools, but I will always be a Clemson graduate and a Clemson fan. Danny was the man in charge at that time and he takes the blame. I will not apologize for being glad he left, even though we suffered in football for a period as a consequence.

Say what you will in response. I am done with this topic.

I'm gonna have to disagree.......

Sep 17, 2006, 6:05 PM

While I did think Jad was tip toeing to the ball, how can you blame that on a guy comes through the same spot 3 times in a row and nobody ever touches him. Yes, Jad needs to improve that time, but somebody has to block for him. So he kicked at 1.4 and the ball hit the defender in the chest, if he kicks it at 1.2 then it'll hit him in the hands.....

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who lines up second from the left?

Sep 17, 2006, 6:41 PM

He's been bowled over three times that I've seen. The first one caused the BC PAT block. The second one caused the FSU PAT block, (the FG block came from the outside), and the third one was after our last score though it was incidental.

1.2 or 1.4 seconds doesn't matter when the protection is laying on it's back.

ESPN talked about Lambert missing his man.....***

Sep 17, 2006, 6:50 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It wasn't Lambert ... he's supposed to "block down" and

Sep 17, 2006, 8:05 PM

that's exactly what he did; I was watching that same thing. There is somebody in there, though, that got blown up twice ... once at BC (on his back) and once at FSU. Whoever that is, Tommy's protecting him.

I'll say this about that kicking situation; we probably thought it was just a fluke after BC and (I'll bet) it wasn't addressed. Apparently, Papa Bowden saw something and exploited it. I guarantee you it was fixed after the game ... by Papa Bowden.

I totally agree, I could block those kicks no protection no

Sep 17, 2006, 7:14 PM [ in reply to Who lines up second from the left? ]

kick, maybe Jad is a little slower than usual BUT we HAVE to get better blocking, this is ridiculous this shouldnt even surface as a problem. We have to hope that what TB said about getting motivated for UNC that he can get the job done, let them know that this is just as important as FSU, lose this game and no ACC Championship, this is a ACC game so I believe that the Tigers will be fired up, Go Git Em Tigers!!!!

Both things need to get better, but

Sep 17, 2006, 8:43 PM [ in reply to Who lines up second from the left? ]

if you want to make it effective, and for it to be good in the long run, then the blocking must get better.

Re: I'm gonna have to disagree.......

Sep 17, 2006, 9:37 PM [ in reply to I'm gonna have to disagree....... ]

I totally agree. It is obvious that it is a protection problem. I think Tommy may be looking for another outlet to blame because the TV announcers said we should look into firing our special teams coach...oh wait Bowden IS the special teams coach. On the final PAT when Barry Richardson was put in and COrey Lambert was removed, things were better. Jad is not to blame, shame on Tommy for putting such an instramental player on the chopping block.

On the chopping block? Good Lord. If

Sep 18, 2006, 8:28 AM

Dean's get-off time was slow, it was slow. Sure, there are other things to fix as well protection-wise, but what's this "shame on Bowden" business? Dean's time is slow. Period.

Re: On the chopping block? Good Lord. If

Sep 18, 2006, 9:57 AM

You guys don't know anything about football apparantly. I read these replies weekly and you throw in your comments about what you would've done or what Tommy Bowden did wrong...with a couple of 20 year old kids. We beat FSU, and the team came together after what could have been another loss because of special teams. If your solutions worked you would be coaching I would think.

Re: On the chopping block? Good Lord. If

Sep 18, 2006, 10:17 AM

What? That makes no sense. I was simply noting that Bowden didn't put anyone on the "chopping block." Get-off time is what it is. Sheesh. I wasn't critizing anyone. Throttle back.

Sep 18, 2006, 3:42 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm gonna have to disagree....... ]

Totally agree! Jad is one of the best kickers in the country. Bowden was absolutely GUTLESS for putting that on Jad. Check the last FG attempt, the wing blocks down and rolled out the red carpet for the FSU player to come right off his rear end and to go a step further, on the short corner! Why not single that guy out!!!!!!!

Sep 18, 2006, 4:14 PM

Thank you...I'm gladly somebody understands. And to the gentleman who thinks I don't know anything about fooball, I assure you, I know more than you think, and I rarely comment. I just don't ever think it is appropriate for a coach to call out a player like that. Regardless of what it is for. Especially a player who works as hard as Dean. Correct him at practice, don't take the blame off yourself because You didn't fix the line after the BC game.

Sep 18, 2006, 6:24 PM

I have never commented on tigernet before, but I had to let you know that I agree with you 100% concerning Jad. I am appalled that Tommy Bowden would single any player out like he has Jad. I don't think the way he has handled this situation would ever be appropriate for any college athlete.I also agree that if Jad's time had been a fraction faster, the ball would still have been blocked!!! There were big holes in our line each time a kick has been blocked.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic