Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Most Bizarre Moments In Clemson Football History Part II
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Jul 27, 2006, 10:50 PM

Scott Rhymer gives you part 2 of his top 10 most bizarre moments in recent Clemson football history. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#3 lip quiver occured in press conf during usc week, not fsu***

Jul 27, 2006, 11:12 PM

You are correct.***

Jul 28, 2006, 8:23 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lucky Johnson

I'm pretty sure that's what it says.***

Jul 28, 2006, 10:35 PM [ in reply to #3 lip quiver occured in press conf during usc week, not fsu*** ]

Re: The Most Bizarre Moments In Clemson Football History Part II

Jul 27, 2006, 11:13 PM

I think you're wrong about the Bowden "quivering lip" incident. If memory serves me, this occured during the press conference the week of the South Carolina game, not before the Florida State game. He was asked if he knew what his future was after the upcoming game. Up until this point, Terry Don Phillips had not said anything. After the press conference, he did say some kind words about Tommy Bowden.

Yep, that throws the whole story off******

Jul 27, 2006, 11:20 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry but the 2004 GA Tech game has to be in the

Jul 28, 2006, 12:04 AM

top 10 and maybe even the puntrooskie

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those were small incidents... this is a bigger picture Top10***

Jul 28, 2006, 1:17 AM

Don't let facts get in the way of a half-baked piece***

Jul 28, 2006, 7:46 AM [ in reply to Re: The Most Bizarre Moments In Clemson Football History Part II ]

nm

Work on your reading skills

Jul 28, 2006, 6:20 PM [ in reply to Re: The Most Bizarre Moments In Clemson Football History Part II ]

Right here it makes it pretty clear, its talking about the week after the Duke game...in other words, USC week:

"Even after a 40-7 whipping of Duke, Bowden's future remained up in the air. At his weekly press conference, the media held to Bowden’s every single breath. His long pause after a question was asked about his future at Clemson, coupled with a quivering lip, sent the fan base into sheer pandemonium trying to determine the significance (or lack thereof). "

GO TIGERS

You're right. I stand corrected. Read it too fast.***

Jul 29, 2006, 3:47 PM

I remember Tommy West's last game

Jul 28, 2006, 7:45 AM

The fans tore down the goalposts because every one of us in the stadium needed a happy ending to a miserable season, and pounding the Gamecocks to end the 7-year "away team wins" streak was the perfect ending. Bringing down those goalposts was therapeutic and cathartic (even for folks like me in the upper decks). Plus it was a great feeling to win the "We Might Suck This Year, But We Still Don't Suck As Much As You Bowl" and claim "bragging" rights, such as they were, for the year. It was salvation for a season filled with painful memories.

We all liked Tommy West and wanted him to succeed. His love and passion for Clemson were obvious, but he just wasn't ready for that job. I thought it was one of the classiest gestures I've ever seen from our football program to carry him off the field, and it was well-deserved. West handled that season of misery with strength and grace. I still think highly of West and hope he excels at Memphis.

You're right, that was classy.

Jul 28, 2006, 1:38 PM

I also think one of the classiest things I've ever witnessed at any sporting event was the spontaneous and unsolicited standing ovation our fans gave to the players (ours and UMs) after the triple overtime game with Miami; we lost that game but I sure felt like I got my $50 worth.

Totally agree with you there***

Jul 31, 2006, 1:50 PM

1992?? The 1985 game in DV versus UMD was at night.

Jul 28, 2006, 7:51 AM

The Maryland game in 1985 was the night Danny "went on the field" to protest the TD pass reception that was dropped as the Terp WR got to the goal line.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think we played a UGA game in DV @ night also in the 80's***

Jul 28, 2006, 7:54 AM

Yep ... The "Throwback" uni game was under the lights.***

Jul 28, 2006, 7:55 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The "Throwback" uni game was in 1995***

Jul 28, 2006, 8:30 AM

We played UGA at UGA under the lights in 1982 for the first

Jul 28, 2006, 9:52 AM [ in reply to I think we played a UGA game in DV @ night also in the 80's*** ]

night game in Sanford Stadium. The UGA fans were brutal. I was only 11 at the time and had grown drunken men running up to my face yelling Clemson sux then barking and pushing me around. I look back on it an find it unbeleivable.

Re: 1992?? The 1985 game in DV versus UMD was at night.

Jul 28, 2006, 11:09 AM [ in reply to 1992?? The 1985 game in DV versus UMD was at night. ]

I think that game kicked off at 3:30 p.m. or late afternoon. It started in daylight but in the 4th quater it was evening or night. Budweiser Cyldesdales were there and Lee Greenwood was there at the "world's largest pep rally" before the game. I still have a plastic megaphone from that game.

GO TIGERS!!!!

Those were temp lights set up for that game . . .

Jul 28, 2006, 12:33 PM

The game Rhymer mentions was the first Night Game - - starts at night, ends at night, with permamnent lighting structures.

I could be wrong . . .

My mother has a pompom from that game

Jul 28, 2006, 6:22 PM

And it says on the handle "FIRST NIGHT GAME IN DEATH VALLEY SINCE 1956!"

So yeah I think it was the first totally night game.

GO TIGERS

Re: 1992?? The 1985 game in DV versus UMD was at night.

Jul 29, 2006, 6:12 PM [ in reply to 1992?? The 1985 game in DV versus UMD was at night. ]

Remember the all-out brawl that happened at the end of that one?**

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2 points

Jul 28, 2006, 7:53 AM

1) Let me take one more oppurtunity to say: Max and Bobby you suck! You brought down one of the best teams in college football and made the entire 90's painful (in terms of football.) You also gift wrapped many ACC championships to the Devil (ie FSU). Oh how things could have been different.

2) Woody Hayes was left on for years as atlethic director at OSU, I still dislike that program.

It's over ... let's look forward - things are bright!***

Jul 28, 2006, 1:38 PM

Jul 28, 2006, 8:17 AM

I think when Red Parker didnot warmup the team before the usc game in the stadium was pretty bizarre. He decided instead to have a full scale practice behind the stadium across from Fike. It was alittle unsettling for Carlin and company. Parker upset a heavly favored usc team, but was still fired. A lip quiver should not be on the list.

The most bizzare incident IMO was in early 60s when we were

Jul 28, 2006, 8:29 AM

playing uga and the temp. was about 85 with 2 min. left in the 1st half and a cloud just the size of the stadium came in from the lake that brought a huge hailstorm blew in off the lake bringing the temp down into 60s and coach Howard sent all of us in that were not plaing with about 20 sec. left in half. As I have said before that if not for that they would not have needed to paint my game helmet that year.

Jul 29, 2006, 4:30 PM

the program has not yet recovered from ford's firing. It has only been on the road to recovery since tommy's press confrance before the south carolina of '03. As for me, Tommy became my coatch on that day. Before then, I did not think he realy cared about Clemson, but I accepted him on that day. And have had him in my prayers ever sence.

Not saying TB has not grown as a HC every year at CU but

Jul 29, 2006, 4:49 PM

totally disagre about him not caring. I think he has cared at every job he has had as a coach. Even as an asst. many top coaches wanted him in their program. I realize he did not set the woods on fire his first couple of years but I can't remember a HC anywhere growing with his job as he has.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic