Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Commentary: Leggett Reaching Rarefied Air
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Jun 13, 2006, 11:19 PM

A quick look at the numbers shows Clemson has a baseball coach that not only ranks among the nation’s elite but also, maybe more importantly, ranks favorably to his mentor and Clemson legend Bill Wilhelm. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pay him what it takes to keep him. Please***

Jun 13, 2006, 11:30 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:Let's not go overboard with this pay thing. He can be

Jun 14, 2006, 8:13 AM

replaced. Give him a raise but don't give away the farm.

I don't believe he is asking for the farm....

Jun 14, 2006, 8:14 AM

hell, if TDP would get rid of the dead weight in the CUAD he would have plenty to enough to pay him...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No loyalty to our coaches??? Come on guys***

Jun 14, 2006, 8:15 AM [ in reply to Re:Let's not go overboard with this pay thing. He can be ]

null

Who can replace him ? you act like it would not be a problem***

Jun 14, 2006, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Re:Let's not go overboard with this pay thing. He can be ]

verbal thumbs down***

Jun 14, 2006, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Re:Let's not go overboard with this pay thing. He can be ]

Re: Pay him what it takes to keep him. Please***

Jun 14, 2006, 9:51 AM [ in reply to Pay him what it takes to keep him. Please*** ]

typical goofy

*******DISCLAIMER********* My intent of this post was not to upset the manginas who frequent some of the boards.

TB already helps pay his salary*****

Jun 14, 2006, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Pay him what it takes to keep him. Please*** ]

good article but are you stuck in a time warp--1998 vs. UCS?

Jun 13, 2006, 11:37 PM

try 2002

I was about to say the same thing...he screwed it up twice

Jun 13, 2006, 11:41 PM

but good article none the less

Get your dates right, Rhymer.***

Jun 13, 2006, 11:42 PM

If the money to pay Coach Leggett is tight..........

Jun 14, 2006, 7:49 AM

....perhaps we could put the boathouse on hold?

Clemson is a national power in baseball and has been for decades. It would be foolish beyond belief not to spend the money on a coach that can keep us there. If we want to play with the big boys, we must pay a big boy salary.

The sport costs us little in terms of scholarships. We have a very nice ballfield and a solid home crowd of something like 5000 regulars. The sport seems poised to grow nationally with many many schools selling more tickets and with more and more fans showing interest in attending, and following the sport on TV. Is there any Clemson fan whou doubts we could sell 7500 tickets per game for our next 50 game winner? We are a near perpetual top 20 team. Giving that up because of a dispute over $250-300,000 per year would seem like an inconceivably stupid business decisioin to me.

There's the right way to manage an asset like a solid, successful coach. I certainly hope our athletic administration and school leadership can cope with success.

Harley

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

By and large I think TDP has done a pretty good job for us

Jun 14, 2006, 8:12 AM

I haven't always agreed with his method of handling certain issues, but for the most part, I am pleased with the job he has done as Clemson's Athletic Director. However, failure to sign Leggett to a long term deal and paying him the money he has earned and deserves would be a mistake of epic proportions and if he fails to get it done, people will absolutely be calling for TDP's head.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Unless JL were to ask for something crazy in terms of money****

Jun 14, 2006, 10:24 AM

LMAO....welcome to Bi-Polar Net

Jun 14, 2006, 10:26 AM

During the past 3 seasons people have wanted Legget gone, wanted Corbin in, Pawlowski in...wanted anyone but Legget.

Now the man can write his own check.

The same people complaining are, for the most part, the same people that wanted him gone.

Screw Oil, burn Lungers

I think I sense a Bobby R fan speaking to us*****

Jun 14, 2006, 10:28 AM

I was told the boathouse money was given for the boathouse

Jun 14, 2006, 10:23 AM [ in reply to If the money to pay Coach Leggett is tight.......... ]

specifically, otherwise there wouldn't be a bouthouse, lol.

Totally agree***

Jun 14, 2006, 10:34 AM [ in reply to If the money to pay Coach Leggett is tight.......... ]

A disagreement on the fan appreciation for the 2 coaches

Jun 14, 2006, 8:39 AM

In Scott's article, he says he thinks Leggett is less appreciated than Wilhelm was. Disagree completely with that notion. A look at attendence would show we draw twice as many fans under Leggett. Then at the games, Leggett gets an ovation every inning as he runs to his 3rd base coaches box.

Wilhelm was highly appreciated and very respected, but I think Scott's memory of him having greater reverence from fans than Leggett has is greatly exaggerated. If I had to pick one who gets more adulation from fans--and I'd rather not-I'd pick Leggett.

Clemson fans greatly respect a coach who wins and does it the right way, and that's why Clemson fans have great appreciation for coaches Wilhelm and Leggett.

From Scott
Leggett, all the while, remains a bit of an enigma in Clemson baseball lore. While appreciated and respected for his accomplishments, my perception is that Leggett still has not endeared himself in the way Coach Wilhelm did while at the helm. Maybe my perception of that is incorrect, but it seems obvious when considering the reverence placed upon Wilhelm even as he was coaching the team throughout the latter part of his 36-year career. Maybe we live in a different era and coaches having success are given shorter leashes by fans that are paying more and more into the system. I suspect most Clemson fans like Jack Leggett, but I wonder if most Clemson fans believe he’s one of the top coaches in America

Message was edited by: Newberry Tiger®

Agreed; Jack is loved by the fans at DKS.***

Jun 14, 2006, 11:35 AM

2 points

Jun 14, 2006, 9:28 AM

1)Leggett will get his status as baseball god after he retires just like Wilheim.
2) Why do writers feel the need to campaign for coaches pay raises?????

Kick backs!!!!!

Jun 14, 2006, 10:38 AM

jk

Compare Wilhelm's last 13 years to Leggett's first 13.

Jun 14, 2006, 9:50 AM

I don't know how they stack up but is seems to be more appropriate since Wilhelm had build from scratch and coached fewer games per year early in his carreer.

I would be interested to know the results.

Also, I disagree that Wilhelm gets more respect.

Lastly, why do you find it frustrating that TDP waits until the end of the end to negotiate? You SOUND LIKE THE MEDIA during TBowden's tough period. Let the professionals handle it.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic