Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog for June 13
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Jun 13, 2006, 2:40 PM

Mickey talks about Sean Clark, Title IX and more. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh boy, here we go. My question or statement is this -

Jun 13, 2006, 2:51 PM

why aren't parents doing anything they can as soon as their kids are born in order to make sure they get the best education possible if that is something that they truly value? If it is, like with my family, sacrifices are made both pre and post college (saving prior to and taking loans to be paid post school) and goals can be met.

Why should any outsider cry when their beloved sport they like watching or playing, for whatever the reason, doesn't have the ability to pay their college tuition.

Many, many people make it to and through college without the aid of athletic scholarship money and/or privilage of even playing athletics.

Yeah, but if you could take a signing bonus that would cover

Jun 13, 2006, 3:08 PM

your education, why turn it down? Do you like paying debt when there is an alternative? Like MP points out, the money is laughable to many, but it can pay a college tuition, well an instate public one at least.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Huh? I never said not to take the money and go pro, did

Jun 13, 2006, 3:44 PM

I?

I was talking about the amount of scholarships for each sport and how he thinks baseball should get more and other sports should be evened out or not counted in regards to Title IX.

your post talks alot about saving for college and making

Jun 13, 2006, 3:53 PM

sacrifices, taking out loans, etc, so i fail to see where my comment was off base

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Response to Arizona

Jun 13, 2006, 6:17 PM [ in reply to Oh boy, here we go. My question or statement is this - ]

Man that sounds great but we are not talking about Ward and June Cleaver today. Many kids grow up in single-parent homes. I was very lucky that my family did the right thing and was able to save money for me and my sister but I think that is not happening as much today. Families have issues and finances are hard for a lot of people. I am finding that out as a first-time parent today. But the idea of everyone saving enough money to send their kids to Clemson with the out-of-state-tuition being $25K is not a reality. I think people would be shocked if they knew how much out of pocket expenses these baseball players have to come up with.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog for June 13

Jun 13, 2006, 3:39 PM

I wonder if a women had a scholie on the football team as a kicker, would a mens sport get another Scholarship?

Dead Horse abuse!!!***

Jun 13, 2006, 3:44 PM

I'm gonna teach my 2 year old daughter to row!!!!***

Jun 13, 2006, 4:04 PM

naw. teach your 2 year old son to block***

Jun 13, 2006, 5:16 PM

don't bother... she can walk on the team w/o knowing how***

Jun 13, 2006, 6:34 PM [ in reply to I'm gonna teach my 2 year old daughter to row!!!!*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank God Mickey is a Conservative!!!***

Jun 13, 2006, 4:54 PM

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog for June 13

Jun 13, 2006, 5:44 PM

Right on Mickey!

on the rowing issue...

Jun 13, 2006, 6:33 PM

i guess i consider myself a quasi- insider because some of my best friends at clemson have been rowers, and also because i dated one for two years. most of them are great girls who love rowing... but having said that, and having experience with the rowing team, i now agree even more with mickey. not only do they recieve 20 scholarships, but at clemson over 1/2 (!!!) of the last few recruiting classes (including the bunch of them who had never rowed before but who also made it on the team and got scholarships) have quit after just their first two years in the program. now, that may have more to do with bad coaching (yes, the rowing coach probably needs to go at this point), but it should also bother you that we're pumping money into this program that doesnt even retain rowers. at this point, they need to get a new coach or possibly nix the program

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How bad would a program have to be...?

Jun 14, 2006, 8:42 AM

For you to give up a full scholarship to get away from it?

My parents would have disowned me if I told them I was quitting THE ROWING TEAM and told them they were going to have to pay my tuition.

mickey nailed it this time.***

Jun 13, 2006, 7:02 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Re: mickey nailed it this time.***

Jun 13, 2006, 9:30 PM

title IX ( like many laws) is not being used the way it was written. instead of more money being given to womens sports, There are many mens sports that are cut because of gender equity. Wrestling, gymnastics, and other mens olympic sports are being cut in the NCAA because of gender equity. Clemson had a top 10 wrestling team then cut the team the following season in 95 ultimately because of gender equity.

The fact is: White males are the most discrimated against

Jun 14, 2006, 8:20 AM

demographic in this country, by law anyway.

zat you Clayton Bigsby?***

Jun 14, 2006, 3:16 PM

I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to.
- Elvis Presley

Football

Jun 14, 2006, 4:58 PM

Football is the reason other men's sports don't have enough scholarships. Your stats make that clear. Title IX was made in a vaccuum so that we could we only considered equality for women. In order to equal the scholarships for women, we had to offset football. There is no women's football, so we have to find other sports. 85 scholarships is a lot to offset. The question is, do you want to take 20 scholarships away from football and give them to baseball????

I love baseball, but no Tiger who reads this will reply "yes" to that email.

Not to mention, it seems baseball is doing ok without all the scholarships...

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic