Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Commentary: Are You Quieting the Journalists?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Jun 2, 2006, 10:32 AM

Has a backlash by Clemson fans in this state seemingly had some type of effect? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Expecting a scathing rebuttal by Solomon. lol***

Jun 2, 2006, 10:45 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Commentary: Are You Quieting the Journalists?

Jun 2, 2006, 10:49 AM

Nice article, enjoyed it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL.. That was good stuff Scott. That outta fire 'em up.***

Jun 2, 2006, 11:02 AM

Strange article but I read all of it.

Jun 2, 2006, 11:03 AM

I kept waiting for at least one specific example. Maybe Rhymer was just scared/wise enough not to name specific journalists or papers.

It is my opinion that the only way one of us can affect what sports commentaries are written in a particular newspaper is to CONTACT THE BUSINESSES THAT ADVERTISE in the sports section and then TELL THE PAPER YOU DID SO. I have a relative that works in advertising for a newspaper. He tells me that ads drive the paper, period. The advertisers are the only thing more important than the journalists. Subscriptions are almost meaningless except to the extent the use the subscription figures to sell advertising.

Jun 2, 2006, 11:03 AM

They are irrelevant for the most part. Somewhat like the Democrats in this state.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 2, 2006, 11:24 AM

> Hey, I'm a Democrat and not irrelevant. Let's leave politics out of this and focus on what we do have in common, please.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree. The media went too far. I would love to have

Jun 2, 2006, 11:21 AM

informative and constructive journalism for Tigers. I hope it happens some day.

You're giving this board and site WAYYY too much credit.....

Jun 2, 2006, 11:25 AM

The fact of the matter is that times have changed. Probably one of the worst in-game brawls (actually after the game), was at Death Valley in late 60's early 70's involving Wake Forest. I was a kid then, but I do remember it to be out of control. Obviously, sports and news coverage was nothing compared to what it is today. There were very few media outlets to pick that incident apart, much less target Clemson. The competition for coverage is fierce. Fights at little league games are covered nation wide, and then the experts pick it apart. My point being, sports writers/announcers could care less about internet opinion, the almighty dollar is the driving force. Bad news sells.

GO TIGERS!!!

Jun 2, 2006, 11:26 AM

Perhaps it has less to do with the internet chatters than the circumstances of the time. USC had the crime wave a year ago. They now have Spurrier who, by all accounts, is an arrogant unfriendly (to the media) head coach. He is also crying about poor facilities and giving that as the excuse as to why they can't win. (and by the way TB got way more criticism when he did it a few years back). My thought is that the State, even for them, recognizes they would look way too biased if they continued to hound Clemson and Bowden in the face of all that has gone on at USC in the past 2 years.

Remember - This is Commentary NOT Journalism

Jun 2, 2006, 12:13 PM

I appreciate avenues to voice opinion and commentary and this is purely commentary not journalism. If you are going to attack other journalists...you better have the facts and you better presents both sides (JOURNALISM).

This almost seemed like propaganda to me. This was an interesting to read with no hard foundation and nothing to support its' claim...the big bad writers are out to get CLEMSON...OH DEAR!!!! Since 1896, Clemson has done pretty well fighting public opinion and perception..I think we will be alright.

You claim that there was some bad reporting during the Clemson/USC Game during the brawl, but you did not want to site specific examples. What are your examples of this bad reporting. The reporting actually brought light to a huge problem...an nasty fist fight where one of ours was kicking the head of another with his cleats! Shame on both schools and the athletes! The picture in the Greenville News (Front Page) the day after tells all! We should call these athletes in to question when this is one of the biggest recruiting days of the year and mom's and dad's of high profile athletes are in attendance! Plus national television, this was a bad day for the state of South Carolina..that was not sportsmenship, that was a backyard brawl that would only take place in the yards of prison! What type of preceptino do you want to bring to Clemson...I can see the ads running on our natinal spots - Clemson Innovation then fade to running down the hill where athletes are punch and fighting...thats innovation!

Or were you talking about the goal post issue? People were injured because of a bunch of drunking kids decided to rip down the goal posts and have fun! I am all about fun, but a Sheriff Deputy and some other students were badly hurt. This reporting raised awareness to a national problem and brought change so that young children can walk on the field with their families and not be severly injured from the partying of drunk college kids! Trust me, I had lots of fun at Clemson games and took my drinking fun back to the tailgate area!

My next wonder is if Tommy Bowden came crying to you, wondering why the big bad writers will not quit writing negative stuff about him??? If we are paying him $1.2 million...there should be some checks and balances and I think he should be just fine when the tax payers of this area call his actions into question. Plus, I think he is just fine when he goes to the bank after each bowl game! He is probably one of the highest paid state employees...we call the actions of our state and federal employees into question all the time - especially our elected.

Come-on Scott...give me some fact and not a rant. Don't claim Journalism when you have Commentary in your subject line! Don't be the one that brings a bad name to Clemson!

Bobby...simple answer for you

Jun 2, 2006, 12:41 PM

I'm not a journalist. Never claimed to be...never will. I don't have to give both sides of the story because one side has already been told in black and white.

I appreciate your opinions and you certainly can disagree with every point I make in the article. I have specific reasons why I wrote it...and I'll keep those to myself.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

don't worry, you just pulled a troll out of hiding***

Jun 2, 2006, 1:08 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bobby...simple answer for you

Jun 2, 2006, 1:15 PM [ in reply to Bobby...simple answer for you ]

Scott,

I am actually rather impressed that you were willing to stick your neck out with your opinon. Becareful how you attack journalism and journalists regardless of the shades of grey. Becareful how you speak on the fans' behalf...whose voice are you representing.

I am a fan, Clemson Graduate (twice), worked seven years in athletcis, and a journalist...remember, you stated "You justified those that posted on message boards, stating some were equally, maybe even more, qualified to speak on behalf of the Clemson Nation than some guy with a journalism degree from some far off place. You decided that you had a voice and were going to use it, something that journalists ten or twenty years ago did not have to worry about from their readers.....Clemson fans had grown tired of defending the program to people who could care less."

Becareful how you call my loyalty in question, my education in question, my objectivity in question...because you obviously did not think about your audience.

Whose Clemson are you representing???

Bobby

Scott is correct Bobby!!

Jun 2, 2006, 1:26 PM

It was a weekly occurence to read Bart Wright's articles bashing Tommy Bowden.

Re: Scott is correct Bobby!!

Jun 2, 2006, 6:00 PM

Finally...someone has mentioned a name and their writing, not just generalizations.

GO Tigers!
br

Unless you wrote the articles

Jun 2, 2006, 1:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Bobby...simple answer for you ]

Unless you wrote the articles I never questioned your loyalty. I only write what I see/feel.

Scott

Re: Unless you wrote the articles

Jun 2, 2006, 7:39 PM

Point taken!

Bobby

Bobby, no sense arguing with this bunch....

Jun 2, 2006, 2:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Bobby...simple answer for you ]

Anytime you call someone out, have a strong opinion, or god forbid, criticize the "experts" on this board, you are going to be called a "coot", "troll", as they lookdown their noses through the proverbial orange colored glasses. I myself, a Clemson grad. find this site helpful for the newspaper articles, and amusing for the posts. Take it in stride!

GO TIGERS!!!

Since you played the "Clemson grad card"

Jun 2, 2006, 2:27 PM

I received my MS in 2004 from Clemson. my wife, mother-in-law, and father-in-law are all Clemson grads. But, I'm not looking through orange colored glasses. Just stating what I believe to be a fact, Bart Wright has backed off Clemson over the last several months.

Point taken.***

Jun 2, 2006, 2:35 PM

Re: Bobby, no sense arguing with this bunch....

Jun 2, 2006, 5:59 PM [ in reply to Bobby, no sense arguing with this bunch.... ]

I have no problem with the citicism! I love the debate and shaking the pot a little!

Thanks...Go Tigers!
BR

Jun 2, 2006, 1:53 PM [ in reply to Bobby...simple answer for you ]

> I have specific reasons why I wrote it...and I'll keep
> those to myself.

Can you cay....vendetta! j/k

While I am not in disagreement about the overall issue of some irresponsible journalism found in the Greenville News over the past few years in regards to Clemson (and USC at times as well) I do find it a touch extreme to question the coverage of the Brawl in particular. You present your point of view about that subject as if everyone agrees that the press blew it out of proportion. But, for every person you can find that says it was overblown I can find one that says the opposite, maybe more. For those like yourself that try to downplay what occurred I can only shake my head in wonder, especially those who witnessed it firsthand. It was not typical. It was vicious. It was growing in scope with non-players getting assaulted. I even saw a highway patrolman get clocked.

I was at the game. Before seeing one iota of press coverage about the fight I was appalled, ashamed and disgusted. Not because some players started a fight but because of the unwillingness to stop and the willingness to contribute to it’s increasing proliferation. It was only brought under control due to force by the heavy involvement of authorities (not even coaches could get the really aggressive brawlers under control.)

Fortunately that feeling of disgust and shame was alleviated by the admirable, responsible, appropriate and justified actions of the administration. It sent a clear signal to the Clemson family, and anyone else that cared, that unabated brawling by students would not be tolerated. Regardless of any thoughts to the contrary, the Brawl typified a growing and increasingly endemic issue in athletics. We should only hope that the incident and its resulting fallout helped play some part in a more widespread effort to stem the proliferation of unbridled chicanery that underlies the issue of decadent socialization that can form in limited membership components of a larger group.

I am glad we live in a society that has continued to evolve and conflicts that were brushed aside or given little credence in the past have become more scrutinized in the current social reality that has been maliciously labeled as "politically correct" by libertarian minded individuals (in the “free will” sense not the political one.)

I have said it before, and will do so again now, that I am very proud of the administration’s response to that incident and would hope that the “guts” it took for them to stand up and draw a line in the sand will be reflected in any future decisions. It reflects the kind of image that instills pride in Clemson University.

Jun 2, 2006, 6:05 PM

I am in full agreement with your position! Someone needed to take a stand especially when the awareness has been risen!

br

Stories were slanted to make Clemson look bad...

Jun 2, 2006, 1:07 PM [ in reply to Remember - This is Commentary NOT Journalism ]

Clemson/USC brawl was made to look like Clemson was the bad guy (pic of us kicking them) and like both schools were equally responsible. USC started everything from the run down the hill and did a great job showing the true character of their thuggish program with all the off season trouble to follow. Why is Clemson still perceived as the bad guys in that brawl - simple the media does all they can to protect the image of USC.

I cannot ever remember anyone getting injured in a goalpost takedown before the police started getting involved to "guard" the goalposts. This is what, in my opinion, starts the trouble - drunk college kids wanting to celebrate a win but the police saying they can't, but they try to do it anyway b/c it's tradition. The media makes it look like out of control students assaulting the officers and then attempting to rip down the posts.

Clemson fans had their part in booing Bowden and calling for his head, too, so there's not much to blame the media there. As fans become more patient and loyal to Bowden, it does seem the media has backed off as well (also with Purnell and the basketball team).

I think this article is a great opinion on this topic.

I think the "hotseat" material has been media driven

Jun 2, 2006, 1:10 PM

I can't find many fans that want TB fired every season, but media continues to put TB on "hotseat"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Stories were slanted to make Clemson look bad...

Jun 2, 2006, 6:20 PM [ in reply to Stories were slanted to make Clemson look bad... ]

I do believe that this is a great opinion topic! But, these are the facts...Clemson Won, Everyone was excited, Students rushed the field, The Goal Post were ripped down, people were hurt.

Their needed to be a change, and it happened because the awareness was raised concerning the problem. The exigence here was the tearing down of the goal posts. Yes, the media captured the event and the resulting actions. But, if it was not nationally televised (not even locally - no television), do you think this would have gotten as much attention and no preventitive measures would have resulted?

We love ABC/EPSN/NBC when they deliver our game in our little tube....but when they capture an event we are embarrased about, we are critical. I am glad it was captured...the same way the Duke goal post issue was captured. It helped raise awareness and forced more individuals to voice an opinion and force a change.

Bobby

i think we now know who has a journalism degree......***

Jun 3, 2006, 8:59 AM [ in reply to Remember - This is Commentary NOT Journalism ]

Jun 2, 2006, 1:18 PM

Writers and Gamecocks can say what thet want, It doesn't bother me . What bothers me is when so called CLEMSON people parrot their line .

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fight was in '04, no?

Jun 2, 2006, 3:41 PM

Am I totally off base or was the Clemson USC ugliness in 2004.

yep...13-9 was '05***

Jun 2, 2006, 3:44 PM

Jun 2, 2006, 4:26 PM

AWESOME!!!

Thank you! Great articles that exposes the media for trying to find dirt and disention in every situation. Even though I grew up in Miami rooting for the Fin's and the 'Canes, Clemson University and Clemson Athletics have won my heart by always traviling the high road in all situations. Champions don't win all the time but they do believe that they CAN win all the time. Clemson has a long and decorated history of athletics and hoorah for all the fans that stand up for that and shame to all the media that overlooks that to scrape up dirt and disention.

We NEED a pro-Clemson media presence... not silence!!!

Jun 4, 2006, 7:46 PM

Until Clemson puts journalists and media figures into place that can balance the scales when the "haters" throw their wild punches at the most inopportune times, we will continually have to endure the ongoing media bias in our state and region (even on a national scale through the network of media outlets).

We should be actively making in-roads to the media if we expect to ever sustain a national presence and image of an elite program.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic