Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog for May 3
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

May 3, 2006, 3:27 PM

Mickey Plyler gives his memories of Charley Pell and the Clemson teams he coached. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was reeaal young, but I can remember the "Give 'em hell

May 3, 2006, 4:14 PM

Pell" cheers in '78. When we came back the next year, they had turned to "Go to hell, Pell" when the Florida scores were announced over the PA.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

two more from that era

May 3, 2006, 10:47 PM

"CU Later in the Gator" followed by "go to hell Pell"

and

I say "Clemson", you say "Tigers!" "Tigers..." or

I say "Orange", you say "White" "Orange..."

and the sound would reverberate. It was redneck heaven and someday i hope to go back.

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog for May 3

May 3, 2006, 6:09 PM

Excellent Post Mickey. The thing that you remembered that was the most significant about those days was that Charlie Pell taught Clemson "How To Win." Red Parker brought in some excellent players to build on, but it was Pell who instilled in them the attitude that they could and would find a way to win. Whatever his shortcomings otherwise it was Charlie Pell who changed the direction of Clemson football. Danny Ford was smart enough to keep the ball rolling after that.
(Jenna's Dad)

Hey Mickey that brought back lots of memories

May 3, 2006, 7:40 PM

I was in attendance for most of those games and remember the Uga. game and USC game ..I was only 10 yrs. old at the time , but I was from Georgia and that was sweet!!
Thanks for the memories.

May 4, 2006, 7:05 AM

Mickey,

I was a student at Clemson when Coach Pell took over. Your thoughts are exactly right. There is no doubt that Charley Pell taught Clemson how to win. He laid the foundation for the '81 national championship and the great success the program enjoyed during the 1980's. Thanks for bringing back some wonderful memories.

May 4, 2006, 9:30 AM

I remember going to the Clemson-Maryland game we lost 21-14...it was 21-0 at the half...the final touchdown Maryland scored was a long pass play in which the Quarterback, Larry #### had one foot out of bounds when he threw the ball. On the Charley Pell show the next day, Jim Phillips asked Pell if he was ready to go to Athens the next Saturday, he said yes we will be ready and Georgia better be ready...I will never forget that...I was there too, and we beat them in the rain 7-6, they paid us back in 1978, but I always thought that game was the turning point in Clemson Football

well written and well said

May 4, 2006, 11:18 AM

that is the kind of stuff I like to read. i love hearing other people talk about their love and memories of Clemson. that is why people like me come on these web sites, and that is why Clemson is such a great family. Good read.

Pell was the best motivator I have ever been around

May 4, 2006, 1:06 PM

I was a student during the Pell era and I used to attend most of the Fort Hill Clemson Club lunch meetings during the football season when Pell would speak. I would always leave those meetings not only excited about CU football but also more motivated to take on the challenges in my life. His confidence and leadership skills were contagious. You're right in that Red Parker deserves credit for bringing in talent and Danny Ford certainly deserves credit for taking Clemson to a new level but Charley Pell is the man who changed the course of Clemson football. He may not be Clemson's greatest coach but he is by far Clemson's most underrated coach IMO.
Great article Mickey.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pell....

May 4, 2006, 9:17 PM

No doubt Pell knew how to win. Would it be accurate to say he did essentially the same thing for the Florida Gators? Maybe to a lessor success level?

Controversy followed both tenures as we know. Is it accurate to say both our program and Fla's program was turned around by bending the rules a bit to get the right kids in and good coaching by Pell?

Before ya'll attack please take note I have placed a question mark at the end of each sentence, meaning I am asking a question.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic