Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Stanford head coach David Shaw
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Stanford head coach David Shaw

Jul 24, 2017, 12:36 PM

Savage.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love it, no one can even claims the rassist, either

Jul 24, 2017, 12:40 PM

They just have to admit what we all know already.

interesting - 1 of his top returning WR is from SC

Jul 24, 2017, 1:03 PM

http://www.goupstate.com/sports/20170722/dorman-alum-arcega-whiteside-big-part-of-stanfords-plans

I guess he got the one smart one?

#### phone was replying to OP***

Jul 24, 2017, 1:04 PM

Re: Love it, no one can even claims the rassist, either

Jul 25, 2017, 2:04 AM [ in reply to Love it, no one can even claims the rassist, either ]

You're the only one who brought up or said anything about race.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Jul 24, 2017, 12:40 PM

@spursup!

Isn't he taking a shot at southern states in general?***

Jul 24, 2017, 12:42 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

no, just all states that have an SEC team...

Jul 24, 2017, 12:43 PM

Wait........

What?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: no, just all states that have an SEC team...

Jul 24, 2017, 6:35 PM

Our state is NOT an SEC state!!
Plain and simple.

IMO...

Jul 24, 2017, 7:54 PM [ in reply to Isn't he taking a shot at southern states in general?*** ]

Since he said SEC states and ESPiN is the SEC propaganda channel only SEC fans and ESPiN's talking heads should take offense. It was a cool shot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Stanford head coach David Shaw

Jul 24, 2017, 12:45 PM

I do love that quote. It is from like a year ago though.

Jul 24, 2017, 12:47 PM

Not sure what you guys love about that quote.

Jul 24, 2017, 12:48 PM

He's mocking an entire region.

I'm not crying about it, but it's a pretty broad brush.

null

Re: Not sure what you guys love about that quote.

Jul 24, 2017, 12:53 PM

I think most of us can just appreciate the honesty without getting upset

Some people call it honesty, others call it condescending.***

Jul 24, 2017, 12:56 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Re: Some people call it honesty, others call it condescending.***

Jul 24, 2017, 12:59 PM

Alot of potential wrong-rubbing.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Jul 24, 2017, 1:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Not sure what you guys love about that quote. ]

> I think most of us can just appreciate the honesty
> without getting upset

You forget you are talking about TigerNet.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I respect that. I'm not upset. I just think high fiving

Jul 24, 2017, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Not sure what you guys love about that quote. ]

over it is a bit much.

null

It is perfectly fine to sterotype, prejudge, generalize if

Jul 24, 2017, 7:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Not sure what you guys love about that quote. ]

you are referring to the southeast, apparently.

Do you really think that there is only 1 person

Jul 25, 2017, 2:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Not sure what you guys love about that quote. ]

in South Carolina smart enough to get into Stunford?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2017, 12:58 PM [ in reply to Not sure what you guys love about that quote. ]

SC is not SEC country bro. It's on, and in, the Atlantic Coast, remember we own the State.

even #### lovers know that SC isn't really "SEC country."

Jul 24, 2017, 1:22 PM [ in reply to Not sure what you guys love about that quote. ]

when people talk about the SEC, they are never talking about coots. Coots are loser doormats.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Well it is true public education is horrible in the southeast...

Jul 24, 2017, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Not sure what you guys love about that quote. ]

If you don't like that vote for people who will improve the public education system

Not the Gov's job to provide education.***

Jul 24, 2017, 5:01 PM

Re: Not the Gov's job to provide education.***

Jul 24, 2017, 7:23 PM

If you want America to remain a superpower you will fully support a more intelligent population. Idiots will be replaced by robots in the near future so intelligence will be the only way to get employed. If people don't work they steal. I would rather feed them on pay roll than with scraps stolen from me.

Re: Well it is true public education is horrible in the southeast...

Jul 24, 2017, 6:24 PM [ in reply to Well it is true public education is horrible in the southeast... ]

It has more to do with demographics and poverty rates than politics.

Jul 24, 2017, 12:53 PM

Painting with a broad brush, but it is pretty true. Based on US News public education rankings there's one state in the top 25 that also has a team in the SEC (Missouri.) Including, the state that many Tigernetters call home coming in dead last.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/education

It's pretty true? That's absurd. It's blatantly false.

Jul 24, 2017, 1:36 PM

Come on, man. One person in a state that's ELIGIBLE to get into Stanford? Even if we concede that he's almost certainly meaning "one high quality football recruit", the statement is absurd.

Again, I don't care, but the statement is far from true.

Stanford has 31 offers out for 2018, and 16 are to kids in states that are in the SEC.

In 2017 they took 14 kids, and 5 were from SEC states. And that was after offering 72 recruits, 29 of which were in SEC states.

If what he said was even remotely true, he's got a pretty warped recruiting plan.

null

Re: It's pretty true? That's absurd. It's blatantly false.

Jul 24, 2017, 2:08 PM

He's talking about the football players. Sure there are other kids from the south who apply to Ivys and get in all the time, but why are you going to even bother going to Alabama or Mississippi when you know so many of the high school players can't even qualify for the state school, let alone Stanford? Ever wonder why Mississippi doesn't churn out a bunch of D1 college football studs but they have some of the best JuCo ball in the nation?

It's a broad generalization, but when you're Stanford you don't waste time chasing kids with sub par grades when they find them all over the country. The Stanford name recruits on its own.

I'll let the recruiting numbers speak for themselves.

Jul 24, 2017, 2:23 PM

For a region of recruits that aren't even eligible to get into Stanford, they sure do seem to offer a lot of kids from there.

36% of their 2017 class is from an "SEC" state. 52% of their 2018 offers went to kids in "SEC" states.

null

Re: I'll let the recruiting numbers speak for themselves.

Jul 24, 2017, 2:58 PM

I think the point I was trying to make was lost in translation somewhere, so that's my own fault. Stanford can only offer a select few players. If a player will definitely not get into their school, why waste even 5 seconds recruiting them? They don't.

Where I was really going with the point is that the education levels in certain "SEC States" are lower (based on national surveys and such) but that is where all the talent is and there are certainly smart kids out there. So they're obviously going to go down there and recruit, to some extent, but you're going to find more Stanford-ready kids in Dallas, Texas or Los Angeles, CA than Birmingham, AL or Jackson, MS. Heck, Jameis Winston got into Stanford and once said that's where he would have gone had he not gone to FSU. And he's from Alabama originally.

Maybe I read too much into his statement, but Stanford has pretty much made their money getting recruits from California, Texas, the pacific northwest, and the eastern mid-Atlantic states (NJ, MD, VA, PA, etc.) There are obviously going to be some Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, SC, NC, etc. outliers, but if you're David Shaw and you have to host a camp somewhere you're going to the places I listed previously, probably not the "SEC States."

Based on this list, Stanford should hold their camps

Jul 24, 2017, 2:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Stanford head coach David Shaw ]

in the Northeast

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2017, 1:02 PM

I think he was just talking about Alabama. After all he does have 24 players from states the SEC has teams in. However, he doesn't have any player from Alabama.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2017, 1:06 PM

maybe he's taking a shot at the SEC.

Jul 24, 2017, 1:30 PM

Really smart. If Stanford offers someone from a southern state, then they get the smart label big head. But remember recruits, that living in California could cause cancer; all the labels say it's so.

Sounds like an California elitist snowflake

Jul 24, 2017, 2:09 PM

Does he not know that Clemson owns college football ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2017, 2:48 PM

I tank I is intellinkable nuff to git ento Stamfort.

D@@@@@@@MN!!!!!!!!!***

Jul 24, 2017, 5:03 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2017, 5:21 PM

How did this get twisted into Shaw bashing any state? He was commenting on the stupid satellite camps and, to that end, he's right. Just because a school holds a camp doesn't mean there's a likely candidate in the mix...and it's doubly so for Stanford. Lastly, he doesn't need to hold a camp to know who the top players in each state are, but he does need to understand their test scores. From there...he offers. And you know what, Dabo does as well.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2017, 7:20 PM

Since t-net is NOT "SEC country", he's not talking about us - right? Oh wait...

I think the point is it would be inefficient to hold CAMPS

Jul 24, 2017, 7:26 PM

anywhere outside of Stanford because they are so selective.

Stop being cry baby snowflakes

Shaw later clarified his comments

Jul 25, 2017, 2:07 AM

“The conversation wasn’t about holding satellite camps in SEC country,” Shaw said. “That’s not what we were talking about. That was not the context of the conversation. It would be ridiculous to insinuate that that was the conversation, considering especially that my mother is from Alabama, my dad is from Louisiana.

I’m not going to take shots at the south, that’s ridiculous. You’ve heard me say repeatedly how much respect I have for the SEC and what they’ve accomplished and the coaches in the SEC.”

Shaw also said the school’s admission process makes satellite camps unrealistic for Stanford in general.

“What I was referring to, honestly, was the expense and the effort that it takes to have a satellite camp to where our admissions process for student-athletes is very, very difficult now."

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He did not mean that literally.

Jul 25, 2017, 3:42 AM

He just meant that it isn't practical because very few can get in.

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic