Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Clemson trustees approve lowest tuition increase in 20 years
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

FB Update: Clemson trustees approve lowest tuition increase in 20 years

Jul 13, 2017, 4:39 PM

Clemson trustees approve lowest tuition increase in 20 years

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Clemson trustees approve lowest tuition increase in 20 years

Jul 13, 2017, 4:44 PM

President Clements is to the university what coach Dabo is to Tiger football. We are blessed to have these gentlemen on board.

Jul 13, 2017, 6:07 PM

Surely you jest. If only you knew the details, you would realize that Clements is an opportunist who lets his out-of-control progressive leftist staff run the U, and he, his staff and many of the BOT treat it as their personal cash cow.

Well if you know some details please share.***

Jul 14, 2017, 7:57 AM

null

There's a big money factor that's come into play, and

Jul 14, 2017, 12:21 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Clemson trustees approve lowest tuition increase in 20 years ]

the way it's intermingled with Clemson higher-ups is sickening. One only need to drive around town to see it.

I'm not gonna name names, but it sounds a lot like Dom Henpopp.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Still cheaper than Winthrop

Jul 13, 2017, 5:59 PM

But I saved a ton of money by not having to pay rent

Tuition is 10x today what it was when I graduated in the

Jul 13, 2017, 6:01 PM

late 90's. I'm so happy they've found a way to squeak by with so little this year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tuition is 10x today what it was when I graduated in the

Jul 13, 2017, 7:20 PM

Seriously? That's approx 1000% increase over the last twenty years or so. I'm not being a wise ###, I have no idea.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes, seriously.........my last semester's tuition in 98 was

Jul 13, 2017, 9:19 PM

$1500.

Jul 13, 2017, 11:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Tuition is 10x today what it was when I graduated in the ]

I enrolled in '98 and graduated in '02.

1998 tuition was $1600 a semester

2002 it was almost $4000 a semester

The University basically doubled tuition when the Lottery came to SC but before it started to fund scholarships.

Jul 14, 2017, 6:52 AM

It happened in Georgia, as well. It was just a way, and an excuse, to raise all costs associated with the university and to put a bunch of professors on the payroll. They are not full time teachers, mind you, but it moved the professor to student ratio so another box could be checked in the ratings. The lottery was making good money, initially, so we even started including things the lottery paid for that really were not good uses of funds supposed to go towards teaching students, but just bureaucratic overhead and frivolity. I love Clemson, and I do make a healthy contribution each year to The Clemson Fund and to IPTAY, but costs have skyrocketed way beyond any other industry, and the lottery has been a vehicle and an excuse for the upward spiral.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tuition is 10x today what it was when I graduated in the***

Jul 14, 2017, 8:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Tuition is 10x today what it was when I graduated in the ]

Re: Tuition is 10x today what it was when I graduated in the***

Jul 14, 2017, 8:54 AM

Keep in mind, the State funded 78% of Clemson in 1998. Today they fund less than 12%! That is the money grab!

Ha! Thanks for only taking a LITTLE more!

Jul 13, 2017, 7:18 PM

They're out here acting like we should thank them for not raising it more. And yes, I'm a student. Shame of it is, this money probably won't go to repairing our current facilities but instead building new stuff.

and this is why my daughter will be going to Tennesseee

Jul 14, 2017, 7:36 AM

next fall.

Rocky Top you'll always be....

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 14, 2017, 8:39 AM

My first semester at Clemson, as an out-of-state student, I wrote a check for $5200. I remember that number because up to that point, that was the biggest check I had ever written. This included, tuition, room and board, unlimited food at Harcombe, and any extra fees.

I was able to work a part-time job during the summer and fall to cover the cost of me going to school. I graduated without any debt.

The cost of attending college, any college, is too much money now. I do not know how kids these days can afford to go to school.

Jul 14, 2017, 8:53 AM

It's simple...they can't

The sad thing is they also cannot afford to pass up the opportunity either.

null

If the cost was too much, nobody would do it.

Jul 14, 2017, 10:26 AM

It's not too much. People just want it to be less.

I would not have been able to afford to go to Clemson without an assistantship. I was poor. But that doesn't mean Clemson is doing anything wrong. That would just mean I would have had to go somewhere else.

Taxes are too high, not college tuition.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If the cost was too much, nobody would do it.

Jul 14, 2017, 10:34 AM

That's not an opinion shared by all, for sure. College is just one step removed from the government 'entitled' syndrome. Hmmm...one step might be too much separation....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry, you're wrong.

Jul 14, 2017, 12:19 PM [ in reply to If the cost was too much, nobody would do it. ]

College tuition, Clemson included, has spiked like nothing else over the past 20 years. It doesn't match inflation, it doesn't match the cost of living index....there's no uncontrollable variable to blame. There's zero reason for the country club campus build-out that's occurred since the beginning of the Barker era. His "Top 25" goal was egotistical and unnecessary. Yeah, it makes us all feel really good to see our name in the US News rankings, but my degree isn't worth a penny more than it was before we got on the list, current students aren't learning any more than we did, and the only real difference is they're living in "luxury student housing" (their term, not mine) and paying 10x the cost.

You're being fooled if you think that the school's mission and goal didn't change between the late 90's and today.

Jul 14, 2017, 12:46 PM

Best i can remember tuition in the late '60's was around $275/semester. The cost/benefit ratio has never been greater. Graduated in Chemistry in 1971. Pretty sure i could neither get into Clemson or afford it if i could based on my high school college prep courses at the time or 1960's income equalized to 2017. As much as i love Clemson, for the majority of business needs in the current business environment, it is more cost effective to hire lab techs and apprentice them for a year. More satisfied and loyal employees who are not drowning in debt and are not looking to jump ship for greener fields. Sad but true.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic