Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Plyler's Blog: Clemson's Top Running Backs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Plyler's Blog: Clemson's Top Running Backs

Jul 10, 2017, 9:27 AM

Clemson's Top Running Backs

Clemson’s Top Running Backs
We continue our look at the top players by position that I have seen at Clemson (since 1974). Today is our look at running backs. Here are the top ten running backs I have seen at Clemson:

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Plyler's Blog: Clemson's Top Running Backs

Jul 10, 2017, 9:40 AM

I would of at least had Gallman at #6 - but then again it's Plyler's blog... sigh

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who is he better than that is above him?

Jul 10, 2017, 9:45 AM

Maybe Ellington, but certainly none of the others.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2017, 10:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Plyler's Blog: Clemson's Top Running Backs ]

Wrong. Three of those play on the same team and all shared time. Flowers and Flagger might be the best we ever had. Back in day both would have been 5 stars and Drivers would have been a 4

Jul 10, 2017, 9:44 AM

Ellington followed Spiller or he would be more appreciated. Also James Davis was very good too

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2017, 10:14 PM

Davis tops my list.

Jul 10, 2017, 9:49 AM

Mickey, you start another blog firestorm. Your list looks good to me at first glance. CJ's value was great at RB, but went skyward when receiving punts and k/os. Thunder and Lightning started the national relevance March for the Tigers. Nice work, enjoyed reading.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2017, 10:27 AM

Mickey, great list..... but how could Kevin Mack not be on here? Unless you are counting him as a fullback, and have a separate list. Kevin has to be on here. I really struggle between Terry Allen and CJ! Terry has always been number 1 in my book.... that said, you cannot take away what CJs commitment and name brought to Clemson when we needed it so badly!

Jul 10, 2017, 10:45 AM

I like this list though I think if Wayne gallman would have stayed this year he could have made a push for top 3. Spiller is #1 to me too bc not only did he put up great yards and numbers but he was also the heart of the team when he played. I remember his last home game coming down with the American flag the stadium went crazy, plus he was robbed out of atleast going to NYC for hiesman he had like 300+ yards in that crazy acc title game yet they gave the invite to shy from Nebraska bc he had a great game vs Texas. I mean he broke Reggie bush numbers and had better numbers that year then when Reggie bush won the hiesman it was just bc clemson was 9-4.

Jul 10, 2017, 10:52 AM

I agree about Gallman, but RB's only have so many carries in a lifetime, so most want to move on ASAP. That said, Wayne Train has been very good for us, and just think about it, He wasn't even supposed to be "the guy" until the injury to Choice. (I think Choice had moved ahead on the depth chart. Am I mistaken on that?) Gallman came on like gang busters and really showed out when his number was called. Very proud of his effort and his leadership.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Crazy 1 and 5 and 1 and 4 were on the same team

Jul 10, 2017, 10:56 AM

Great overlap of talented running backs. Gallman is my favorite for his blocking and toughness.

Message was edited by: TigerSHARKey®

Re: Crazy 1 and 5 and 1 and 4 were on the same team

Jul 10, 2017, 4:18 PM

Flagler, Flowers and Driver were all on the same team as well, those were some awesome times with the way Coach Ford ran the ball.

Interestingly, the difference between CJ and Kenny Flowers was CJ's wiggle... Kenny was a 4.3 forty runner who could and would run you over...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

REGGIE! REGGIE! REGGIE!

Jul 10, 2017, 11:16 AM

Reggie Meriweather could've made the list....but TB messed it up when he benched him on what would've been the winning drive against the coots.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: REGGIE! REGGIE! REGGIE!

Jul 10, 2017, 7:35 PM

The decision to pull Reggie on that drive has bothered me for years. Glad I'm not the only one that remembers that. Still though, Jad Dean should have made that kick

Jul 10, 2017, 11:18 AM

Got to have Kevin Mack in there

Jul 10, 2017, 11:36 AM

Marvin Sims......somehow I missed his name....I read someplace that in his career at
Clemson he was never tackled for loss...also, do not see Kevin on this list either.

If we had the O line from the 80's then Spiller would be all time leading in NCAA history

Jul 10, 2017, 11:44 AM

We had good RBs with excellent O-lines and when Davis & Spiller came we had excellent RBs with less than mediocre O-lines. Bowden was not known for O-lines as a whole. Tommy Sharpe was great and Kyle was great but that's about it and Sharpe was a 250 lb walk on.

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Overall good list

Jul 10, 2017, 3:08 PM

I do think if you lined up Davis behind the lines we have now he would crush it. Still, I like the list, although I would personally switch #1 & 2. I loved watchin Spiller with the ball in his hands, but as a pure RB, man TA was good. Another guy that would be a monster in today's up-tempo game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A lot of the pups here won't know this

Jul 10, 2017, 4:15 PM

but what Plyler didn't say was that Flowers, Flagler and Driver were all on the team for the better part of 3 seasons. it was incredible to see Flowers and Driver do what they did together, and their work kept Flagler relegated to mop up duty until his senior year...

Great list, but I hope Kevin Mack was just a minor slip and not intentional

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A lot of the pups here won't know this

Jul 10, 2017, 10:52 PM

Flagler was never mop up duty

Flag was beyond mop up worthy, but he had to wait his turn

Jul 11, 2017, 11:36 AM

behind Flowers and Driver, and even Kevin Mack in his first couple of years on campus. also, we ran fullbacks under Coach Ford, so, Chris Lancaster, Tracy Johnson and the fullbacks got carries as well. there were but so many carries to go around until Flag and Flowers were seniors and then Flowers got hurt, opening up carries for Flag and the rest is history.
OAN, Flowers would have been a great as a pro if not for the injury IMHO...

Jul 10, 2017, 4:16 PM

Kevin Mack? Also, I'd have to think about putting James Davis at #2. He was a pure running back with great vision, always fell forward, ran bigger than his frame. Less than 100 yards off the all-time yardage mark, yet split carries with CJ for 3 years. One of my faves...Go Tigers!

I thought Warren Ratchford = the Ricochet Rabbit?

Jul 10, 2017, 5:12 PM

Silly me!!!!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

he was the Rat***

Jul 10, 2017, 11:50 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fred Cone?***

Jul 10, 2017, 5:43 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2017, 10:06 AM

Least we forget Buddy Gore.
I was there in the Sixties and Buddy's rushing lasted till Terry Allen broke it years later and remember Buddy only played only ten games A year .

this list is null and void without Rudy Harris.

Jul 13, 2017, 8:55 AM

Also Dantzler made a better RB than 1/3 of this list.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2017, 2:13 PM

Mickey,
I know you are looking at tailbacks, but I think Tracy Johnson deserves a mention, too. Great fullback and helped Terry Allen a bunch.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic