Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Summer breakdown: Secondary in transition this season
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

New Story: Summer breakdown: Secondary in transition this season

Jul 8, 2017, 8:01 AM

Summer breakdown: Secondary in transition this season

Clemson's secondary will be in transition this season after losing starters Cordrea Tankersley and Jadar Johnson, two key components in the Tigers' championship run the last two seasons. In the third part of a series, Daniel Shirley takes a look at the secondary. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Secondary the Tigers D Achilles?

Jul 8, 2017, 8:31 AM

Not from what I read from D Shirley. We may be young, but so talented. We do have decent experience, so we look solid on D front to back. Yes, go Tigers!

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Summer breakdown: Secondary in transition this season

Jul 8, 2017, 9:09 AM

The talent is there. This group will likely surprise a lot of people. Even if there are some issues in the secondary one the best if not the best front 7 in the nation will pressure a QB into making mistakes. The front 7 can hide a weakness on the back end if need be. This D will be fun to watch.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My take

Jul 8, 2017, 9:52 AM

Just my opinion....

The key to the 2017 defense will be the play of our corners.
I think our DL is solid, the LBs are up and coming with talent.
And safety spots have alot of potential. Which leads us to corner.

There is potential at corner, but these guys were very, very inconsistent
the last few years. 1st off, they struggle finding the fb on down field
throws. There technique is not very good which resorts to alot of grabbing
and holding. For me, the future is...
Starters- Mullen and Terrell
back ups- Wallace and Fields.
Doesn't mean it shakes up that way, but I feel that's where the most potential
lies.
If the corner spots are solid.....this will be one heck of a defense in 017.

Re: My take

Jul 8, 2017, 10:08 AM

At least they practice against talent that is, collectively, better than any they'll face all season.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very true***

Jul 8, 2017, 10:13 AM

Re: My take

Jul 8, 2017, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Re: My take ]

Take FSU and Louisville out of our schedule and I would agree. Practice is just that, practice, but when they go up against offenses that have great receivers, they will need to be much better than average or serviceable in practice. Steel sharpen steel, and our secondary had better work their butts off sharpening their skills in their summer workouts if they expect to help our Team this season. When a team is driven to be champions, all has to work together and bring each other along. Regardless of what is said through media channels, I believe that our coaches see where our weaknesses are, and they will fix it. Even though coaches can't coach this time of the year, I'll bet that word is getting back to them, and their words of wisdom is getting back to the specific player that aren't sharpening their skills.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

all great points.....

Jul 8, 2017, 10:36 AM [ in reply to My take ]

I agree there's been an element of "boom or bust" about our corners the last couple years......just want to see them play very steady (spectacular not necessary) and avoid giving up the big play......considering the experience and talent our Tigers have in the defensive backfield, if that's our "defensive Achilles heel", then Clemson's defense will be outstanding this upcoming season

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reminiscent of 2014 when we were in largely the same

Jul 8, 2017, 11:15 AM

boat with an all-world D line, solid LB core, and talented but inexperienced secondary. Considering that D ended the season #1, and we're deeper today in overall talent, I see no reason for much concern.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Reminiscent of 2014 when we were in largely the same

Jul 11, 2017, 1:20 PM

I agree. If the D-line and linebacking are stout the backend guys will have some time to develop. And pressure on the qb always makes the secondary job much easier- bad passes, sacks, tackles behind the line, broken timing and routes, etc.

Re: New Story: Summer breakdown: Secondary in transition this season

Jul 8, 2017, 11:41 AM

I think this secondary will surprise people this year. They have the talent to be really good. We got big lengthy cbs and the safety's got van as the veteran and tanner muse is a head hunter he will lay the boom. Muse is going to surprise a lot of ppl with how good he is this year. The secondary will also benifit from our nasty front 7 i dont see opposing qbs having much time to sit in the pocket this season! I'm so excited about this defense.

Lots of work needed in secondary

Jul 8, 2017, 11:58 AM

Achilles heel? Yes. Reference NCSU and Pitt games. Front 7 have great talent. Hopefully Mullen and others step up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

3 keys to the secondary this season.

Jul 8, 2017, 1:06 PM

1) Fields & Mullen take the big jump this year. It's time to show out & be consistent.

2) Everyone takes the Mackenzie Alexander film room approach. Live in that place, on your own time. There is no doubt he set the standard.

3) No more than 1 loss due to injury this year.

While it's true that a really good defensive line can hide things a bit on the back end, it's also true that very good corner play (especially if they are good enough to leave on islands, can give the D-Lineman or Linebackers coming on a late blitz time to get to the QB. They work in unison.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ryan Carter = 1 Natty Ring, Nkemdiche = 0!!

Jul 8, 2017, 1:29 PM

Go Tigers!!!

Ryan's offer was kept quiet until Nkimdeche signed,

Jul 8, 2017, 10:09 PM

to make certain it didn't appear we were signing him to influence Nkimdeche. He earned his offer just like Gallman, and we are so much better off for having those two plus Schluessler instead.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic