Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Moved full time out to California in July.. landed in ATL
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

Moved full time out to California in July.. landed in ATL

Apr 21, 2017, 1:35 PM

last night for Sweetwater Music Festival here, and had a few thoughts to share.
I fn love this place. I'm a Charleston boy, Clemson grad, and relish this sun on my face, pollen on my dashboard, biscuit and sweet tea breakfast,the embrace of the humid live air, smiles and saying "how y'all doin?" To folks I'll probably never see again.
This southern US is magic.
If your lucky enough to live here, I hope its never lost on you how awesome it is and how lucky you are.
Y'all have a good day, I know I'm grinning ear to ear!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

POD!

Apr 21, 2017, 1:36 PM

++

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Moved full time out to California in July.. landed in ATL

Apr 21, 2017, 1:37 PM

Say what is real !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Apr 21, 2017, 1:39 PM

I love the South so much too and feel blessed to live here. Guess everyone feels that way about home but it does seem mighty special.
Have a great visit and hope you get back often.

Apr 22, 2017, 8:45 PM

Grew up in Clemson, graduated and was commissioned into the Army at Clemson. 25 years later I was able to come home. Lived in lovely places all over the world. Nothing compares. Welcome back. And I hope welcome home soon.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you're***

Apr 21, 2017, 1:57 PM

your what?***

Apr 21, 2017, 2:19 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Thanks deer.***

Apr 21, 2017, 2:34 PM [ in reply to you're*** ]

null

We don't take kindly to yer type roun here boy***

Apr 21, 2017, 2:13 PM

Snowflake Basher........Out

Lived in ATL my whole life, except for 4 yrs at CU

Apr 21, 2017, 2:16 PM

Dont plan on leaving. Love it here!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lived in ATL my whole life, except for 4 yrs at CU

Apr 21, 2017, 2:18 PM

moved to the area about 9 years ago (lived in Savannah two years prior from NC), I don't have any plans to leave either!

Yep, South so dang good that it's full of Yankees..

Apr 21, 2017, 2:36 PM

About 75% I'd guess here in Hilty Head SC..and many of those nice Snowbird Americans are from Ohio, Pa & Frank Sinatra's home state NJ.. imho! ??

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 21, 2017, 2:39 PM

I had a 20 year stint in upstate NY. Never take the south for granted!

Apr 21, 2017, 3:03 PM

Southern born and bread. Ain't leaving til I'm Southern dead. I like visiting other parts of the country on occasion, but it's always good to get back South.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Moved to ATL 11 years ago.

Apr 21, 2017, 3:07 PM

Loved it the entire time!!

ATL has the most expansive choices of great food of any place I've ever travelled or lived. The only places I would really considering leaving ATL for is Greenville and Asheville and possibly Charlotte, but it would have to be very good opportunity.

Re: Moved to ATL 11 years ago.

Apr 21, 2017, 7:35 PM

just stay out of my way on 85 and 400!

LOL!! You should try 85 south from the 400 to Connector

Apr 22, 2017, 1:29 AM

let me know how that goes.

You must not drive!***

Apr 21, 2017, 8:13 PM [ in reply to Moved to ATL 11 years ago. ]

I drive plenty...

Apr 22, 2017, 1:28 AM

always have. I very rarely have issues.

Feel free take the pollen back to Cali with you***

Apr 21, 2017, 4:41 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

every since I have moved out of SC

Apr 21, 2017, 8:21 PM

I have never had allergy issues again

You mean the 420 Fest, stoner?***

Apr 21, 2017, 5:07 PM

Been in Cali a total of 12 years over the last 25 yrs.

Apr 21, 2017, 5:15 PM

And I must say if I could take the weather, geography of Cali, the golf, and combine a lot of the culture of the South to it, I'd have a utopia. Im moving to Quantico, VA in June to be close to my son and I really like that area. However, nowhere I have lived can touch San Diego overall though I do miss some things about the South. I guess being a career Marine stationed all over the US makes you enjoy change. I miss SC during football season like crazy though, but I have met great folks and idiots all over the country. Good folks are good folks no matter where they are from. Fools are fools no matter where they are from.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 21, 2017, 5:25 PM

lived in Socal for 8 years, been back for 3. I do miss it a bit, but not as much as I did right after I left. Career options aside, I love the SE far more.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You Mean You Don't Like The Pretentious Dewshey Fake

Apr 21, 2017, 5:42 PM

Effers that populate California. I hate about 98% of that state and almost wish N. Korea could just reach a nuke into LA.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm in Placerville, halfway between Tahoe and Sacramento.. pretty similar to Walhalla

Apr 21, 2017, 7:01 PM

Good people and all... but, they can call the hills golden all they want, they turn dead brown ;)

null

Northern Calif and away from the cities is very different***

Apr 21, 2017, 7:35 PM [ in reply to You Mean You Don't Like The Pretentious Dewshey Fake ]

Apr 21, 2017, 7:30 PM

Home is home, for sure. For better or worse, the South just isn't for me. I treasured my times at Clemson and love making it down for football games, but aside from that I've been happier where I've lived post-Clemson (Northeast US, Southeast Brasil, currently Front Range Rockies).

I was born and raised in LA. Moved to SC when I was 17

Apr 21, 2017, 7:34 PM

I visit calif at least once a year, so I know it well. I could never live there though

everything you mentioned in that post

Apr 21, 2017, 8:20 PM

are kinda negatives for me.

The western usa is infinitely prettier than the south. I always kinda laugh when people talk about the "mountains in Tennessee and NC"

Agreed & its Too effing hot, too effing humid***

Apr 21, 2017, 8:39 PM

Re: everything you mentioned in that post

Apr 21, 2017, 10:33 PM [ in reply to everything you mentioned in that post ]

Yea, I'm a native Masshole and I've got to admit the West is pretty great. I've been in Denver for about 15 months now and I love it. In the summer it'll be 85-95 degrees on a daily basis during the day, but at night it'll drop to 65 degrees almost without exception. I never use air conditioning at night and sleep with extreme comfort. Humidity? Yea, that's not a thing here. On top of that, I'm 30 minutes away from world-class mountains which offer an array of activities 12 months a year.

I don't smoke much weed, but when I want to, I walk down to the store and the best quality pot with the exact characteristics I want. It's a nice option to have.

Also, when Torchy's Tacos decided to expand past Texas, their first stop was Denver, CO...so I have some of the best taco's in the world 1 exit from my apartment and five minutes from my office. It's been painful for my waistline, but my taste buds have been loving me for it.

My home will always be in Massachusetts, but the West is easy to fall in love with.

when I was in San Antonio for 2 years

Apr 22, 2017, 12:33 AM

Torchys Tacos was to die for. Best queso dip ever. I used to eat at the one in Austin all the time until they opened one in SA about 6 months before i left

Re: when I was in San Antonio for 2 years

Apr 22, 2017, 12:58 AM

Torchy's is absurd. We don't have good Mexican/Tex Mex in Massachusetts, and Brasil had little-to-none in terms of any Mexican/Tex Mex options...then I got to Colorado and everything went through the roof. It's not necessarily my favorite type of food, but I'm a much happier person having found quality food of that genre.

Torchy's taco of the month in March was The Roscoe...fried chicken, waffles, bacon, fried egg, and maple syrup...I loved it so much I wrote an obituary for it at the end of last month: https://www.instagram.com/p/BST3kIHj0gc/

Currently we've got the Vagabond, which is an amazing taco, and I just happened to be sitting next to a guy at the bar a few weeks ago and he asked for the "secret menu"...since then, I've been familiarizing myself with the secret menu items, which are fantastic. I took down a Matador and a Vagabond today, and I'm starting to question what kind of person I am, and whether or not I'd be willing to kill for tacos. Things may be taking a turn for the worse soon, and I'm not sure there's much I can do to control it. All I can do is wait and see what the taco of the month is for May.

You mean that oldest mountain range on the planet?

Apr 21, 2017, 11:37 PM [ in reply to everything you mentioned in that post ]

You know, Smoky Mtn NP with the most biodiversity you'll find in the US? Pretty laughable those mountains.

I love the Rockies, southern UT is probably my favorite place to explore, Alaska is amazing, Hawaii is beautiful, the high ranges in Nevada are cool to see, and the granite of the Sierras is pretty awesome, spotty Cascades are pretty regal, but I love the Appalachian. You may not be hitting high peaks, but its awesome when you "get in it" and check it out.

null

how can you add humidity as a good thing though?

Apr 22, 2017, 12:39 AM

I guess it's not actually that bad in SC or GA, compared to Louisiana. When I was young, we used to go visit my grandparents in Louisiana in the summer it was like breathing in mist, it was unpleasant all day to go outside. Not too mention it thunder-stormed nearly everyday in the afternoon, leaving the grass on my grandparents orange tree farm constantly wet and swimming with gross bugs and animals.

I will say that I do some elements of the south. Such as Clemson sports and certain food locations (however as far as food I miss the most from San Antonio/Austin area).

I love to exercise outside. . When its 110 for the 3rd straight week

Apr 22, 2017, 8:12 AM

and I try to run, by the 1st mile my lungs feel like they are baking (and probably are). There is a reason we humidify the oxygen we give people in the hospital.
Sometimes I can really appreciate the cooler nights for environmental standpoint, but I love walking out into 75 and humid with a breeze at night. Whether they recognize it or not, its one of the reasons people show up in Charleston and Hawaii and talk about tropical and awesome it feels.
The humidity can be oppressive at times, but I'll take it over weeks of dry and dead.

Look, all this said, its a beautiful country with lots of awesome places. It doesn't have to be this good, that bad. I like it all. But I love the south.

null

Your post illustrates why the U.S. is so great.

Apr 22, 2017, 10:57 PM [ in reply to everything you mentioned in that post ]

Varied landscapes, topography, people, etc. - something for everyone.

I think California is so overrated. Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco - all are very underwhelming to me. I don't get the appeal AT ALL. The same goes for Arizona - ugly, brown, dry - just ugh. You couldn't pay me enough to live in any of those places. But everyone obviously doesn't agree with me, since millions of people live there and love it.

Lots of people live in the south and love it, too. I find it pretty here in the south (and I've lived in plenty of other places).

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Apr 21, 2017, 9:41 PM

I hope you are talking about The South in general and not Atl. Atlanta is a freaking rat hole.

I don't think you understand what a rat hole is

Apr 21, 2017, 11:38 PM

Because it sure isn't Atlanta.

Lots of good and bad things about the city and surrounding areas.

Yes, I was speaking of the South as a whole..***

Apr 22, 2017, 12:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Moved full time out to California in July.. landed in ATL ]

null

Agreed. One of the worst places I've lived

Apr 22, 2017, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Moved full time out to California in July.. landed in ATL ]

Second only behind South Florida.

ATL is dirty, hard to get around, and not a great place to be outside of the high dollar neighborhoods.

Upstate SC on the other hand, I miss the hell out of that. Our Alma mater is in a special place, ladies and gentlemen.

A rat hole that almost 6 million people call home.

Apr 22, 2017, 11:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Moved full time out to California in July.. landed in ATL ]

Many of us love it.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Apr 21, 2017, 11:17 PM

I streamed the Trey show from up here in Philly. I've been away from SC two years now and I really miss it.

Apr 22, 2017, 12:25 AM

I was born and raised in the South. Have loved all my days I've spent here. I had to move away for 10 years once with my job to Durham, NC, but I'm glad to be back in the South.

'cept for public education and vast income disparity

Apr 22, 2017, 9:00 PM

The South is ahhite.

Oh. And that stroke belt, diabetes, and those obesity rates.

Great place.

And that history of slavery and segregation.

Otherwise, awesome place.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We'll pray for you.***

Apr 22, 2017, 10:44 PM

Atlanta is a great city.

Apr 22, 2017, 10:52 PM

People like to whine about traffic issues, but as far as big cities go, it has a ton to offer and a great quality of life. So glad you're enjoying yourself.

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic