Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who thought Dabo wasn't a good hire at all?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

Who thought Dabo wasn't a good hire at all?

Apr 21, 2017, 8:06 AM

I didn't honestly, glad I was dead wrong!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most of Tigernet, but they won't admit it now***

Apr 21, 2017, 8:11 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I knew some that were on board from the very beginning

Apr 21, 2017, 8:17 AM

not sure how, but more power to 'em!

I was completely on board. Of course, I had previous, first

Apr 21, 2017, 8:42 AM

hand experience with an "On board, Bama assistant hiring"....who turned out pretty good...Just think, our next great coach may be playing for Bama now....Although, I think Clemson could be growing our own coaching tree from now on....

Jeff Scott isn't going anywhere... ;~)***

Apr 21, 2017, 9:54 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who have we had in the past that became head coaches here or

Apr 23, 2017, 9:38 PM

elsewhere? Tommy West, Rich Rod, Reedy? Not counting Danny at Arkansas...

Re: Who have we had in the past that became head coaches here or

Apr 23, 2017, 11:01 PM

Mike O'Cain, Rick Stockstill. Does Chad Morris count?

I always thought he was a good hire.

Apr 21, 2017, 8:21 AM

I have always been one the likes the young energetic protege coaches. I feel the same way about hoops.

I'll admit it....

Apr 21, 2017, 8:26 AM

I thought hiring a person with absolutely no head coaching experience was a mistake and an unbelievably risky move.

I wanted Bryan Kelly, Gary Patterson or possibly Mike Leach.

I've never been happier to have been proven wrong.

This is akin to Obama being elected President. While I didn't vote for him, for all our sake, I hoped he turned out to be a great President.

Oh well...one out of two ain't bad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: I'll admit it.... right there with you.

Apr 21, 2017, 10:33 AM

And who isn't happy that it has worked out so well for all Clemson folk?

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Re: Who thought Dabo wasn't a good hire at all?

Apr 21, 2017, 8:27 AM

When I heard him speak at his first interim press conference I could tell there was something different about him. From that point I was pulling for him to get the job

Got to give you a TU for admitting it. Yeah, there were a few that believed from the very beginning. My brother for one. He was right adamant about it. He finally convinced me a couple years in...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same here... I was "ALL IN!" from that point on... +1.***

Apr 21, 2017, 9:56 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I did. I was wrong.***

Apr 21, 2017, 8:28 AM

After 5 losses in a row to the Coots I don't think Dabo was loved that much by Tiger Nation.
But 3 years later he is and will be the best Coach ever at CLEMSON.

Apr 21, 2017, 6:32 PM

I would have felt more comfortable with a more experienced coach with a history of success, but I wasn't against the hire. I realized I didn't know enough to say it was a good or bad decision.

I liked the hire, but for different reasons

Apr 21, 2017, 8:30 AM

I thought it was the smart financial move. However, I really didn't expect Dabo to work out long term.

I assumed we offered him the job because we could get him cheap. We still had a hefty buyout with Tommy and this would be a way to save some funds so if Dabo did not work out we had the means to go look for a big name coach in a couple of years.

Rumor has it...

Apr 21, 2017, 8:38 AM

that TDP actually offered the job to Gary Patterson but the two sides were unable to come to terms on the salary.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Apr 21, 2017, 8:34 AM

Guilty as charged here. However, those who were on board from the beginning are probably the Kool-Aid gang. They supported JL to the end, TB to the end, LS to the end, and are supporting BB to the end. I could be wrong - again, but I suspect I'm more right than wrong.

If the shoe fits...

Apr 21, 2017, 9:03 AM

Seems like you have been wrong about a lot yet you are putting down people who weee right.
Hmmm!

Apr 21, 2017, 8:35 AM

I hated the hire. He'd never been a coordinator before, much less a head coach. I wanted someone with experience. Luckily TDP knew what he was doing and knew Dabo was the guy. That was an extremely risky move on his part. I didn't warm up to Dabo untill the end of the 2011 season. It was obvious then that he had us going in the right direction.

Apr 23, 2017, 11:07 PM

After the WVa Orange Bowl? That's an odd time to see the light.

Although, first ACC championship in 20 years was an obvious sign of progress.

I didn't care either way

Apr 21, 2017, 8:46 AM

Only coach I was partial to hiring was randy shannon for dc, but they hired some lame dude from Oklahoma. He's growing on me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Apr 21, 2017, 8:57 AM

I had no clue how he would do. I was concerned with his lack of experience and wanted a bigger name as a safer choice though I had no particular candidate in mind

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I liked it from the get-go . . . mainly because I am NOT a

Apr 21, 2017, 9:09 AM

fan of hiring & rehashing the same ol' / same ol' like they do in the NFL & NBA . . . and like they do in cootville.

The next great, legendary coach USUALLY has to come from a young gun who is given a shot & he makes it legendary.

I think we have our guy for just that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

The vast majority of Clemson fans I'm sure, but not all will

Apr 21, 2017, 9:18 AM

be honest. I mean he was a WR coach w/ no even coordinator experience and was supposed to bring us back to glory? Obviously it's why none of us are athletic directors as well. I remember thinking Mike Leach would have been a much better hire at the time, hah. Also wanted to go after Gary Patterson who probably wouldn't have been bad but wouldn't have gotten us to where we are now.

I was completely against it b/c i didn't think he'd hire....

Apr 21, 2017, 9:49 AM

the right OC & DC.

but when he stopped his "buddy system" and fired napier then hired morris he started growing on me..........when he canned steele and hired venables i was sold.

i was 50/50, i knew he was the heart of our recruiting

Apr 21, 2017, 9:52 AM

which was all we really had under TB was recruiting. And there were some good players on the board at the time. So i understood why we wanted to keep him. But the coaching part was goign to be the wildcard. I knew he would keep talent coming in but wondered if he started losing would he be able to keep the fan base from pouncing to early. He had his 6-5 season and i knew he wouldn't survive if he did that the next year. Which he won the ACC the next year so... it worked out.

I do remember wanting to go after either Muschamp or Petrino. Petrino you would win but with baggage. Muschamp...thank our lucky stars.

Apr 21, 2017, 10:38 AM

I thought it was a bad hire but after the decision was made I was behind him 100%.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Me

Apr 21, 2017, 10:56 AM

Boy was I wrong!

I had been calling to TB's firing for a few years leading up to Dabo's hire. I wanted Gay Patterson, and believed Clemson wasn't serious about competing for Championships when they hired Dabo. I supported him and "hoped" for the best, but thought he'd gone in 3-4 years and we'd be back to square one.

I could not have been more wrong. Dabo proved me and everybody else wrong in a BIG way. He's one in a million. I wouldn't trade him for anybody (including Saban).

He's the perfect fit and the best ambassador Clemson could have ever hoped for.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Guilty! I thought it was an emotional hire based on

Apr 21, 2017, 11:01 AM

his win over Slurrier and a cheap hire.

Glad I was dead wrong

I liked Dabo but thought Mike Leach would

Apr 21, 2017, 11:01 AM

be better

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shakin The Southland thought it was bad, even after we won our..

Apr 21, 2017, 11:27 AM

first Orange Bowl in 32 years in Jan 2014

He had me at "we are going to put our hands in the dirt"

Apr 21, 2017, 11:27 AM

Before the GT game. He seemed to press all the right buttons with the fan base.

I will say that after 2010 I had some doubts, but after we won that first acc championship, those vanquished quickly.

Apr 21, 2017, 11:29 AM

I sure didn't..I was dead wrong and I was never happier to be wrong in my life. If I ever have the pleasure of meeting Dabo I will man up and apologize to him personally.

I was a member of TigerIllustrated at the time

Apr 21, 2017, 11:57 AM

the board on there absolutely HATED Dabo. Most threads called him a pathetic cheerleader and that they wouldn't give anymore money to Clemson. I remember after a loss during his first season someone started taking donations for a "Fire Dabo" billboard and everyone was posting how much they'd put in. Not sure whatever happened to that billboard lmao.

Apr 21, 2017, 12:02 PM

I can tell you honestly no one really knew what to expect when he was hired, but that being said we couldn't be luckier to have anyone else coaching our tigers than Dabo.

Apr 21, 2017, 2:11 PM

Honestly I wanted the coach at TCU. I am so glad that I was wrong on Dabo. He's earned the honor of being one of the best coaches in the nation. The best is yet to come.

I thought Dabo deserved a shot at the job

Apr 21, 2017, 2:57 PM

But, I was around when Danny Ford got the HC position in a similar situation.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Honestly my first thought was, "Never heard of him, but if

Apr 21, 2017, 3:12 PM

Bowden recommended him, I just hope he ain't more of the same."

Apr 21, 2017, 4:18 PM

That Yankee, Walt deptula couldn't stop complaining about the Dabo hire. Kept saying Clemson was cheap.

Apr 21, 2017, 4:23 PM

To toot my own horn I was #AllIn for Davi since CJ's recruitments. Firing Spence just reaffirmed my commitment.

Apr 21, 2017, 5:28 PM

> To toot my own horn I was #AllIn for Davi since CJ's
> recruitments. Firing Spence just reaffirmed my
> commitment.

Always like Dabo and after the WF game when he went after Spence I was happy that he was given the opportunity. After reading his background story and hearing his acceptance speech https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jqITI2XETc I was ALL IN.

When he ran the punter's butt back on the field against GT I knew that he was different. Did not like the fact that he was involved in signalling in the plays before Morris or losing to the coots with a better team for two years.

All In.

Apr 21, 2017, 5:32 PM

raise your hand if you wanted Muschamp!

I remember a lot of people wanted him at that time. WHEW WE DODGE THAT BULLET BOYS!

Apr 21, 2017, 5:57 PM

I as livid when they hired Dabo. I'm ashamed to admit it but I wanted Lane Kiffin (God it hurts to type that) or Randy Shannon. My husband loved Dabo from day one and said he would be the best thing that happened to Clemson and to give him time...Glad this is one the one time he was right ??

Re: I thought he was over his head

Apr 23, 2017, 9:54 PM

He definitely jumped in the deep end of the pool. He was treading water at first, but he not only learned to swim, he learned quite well.

Apr 23, 2017, 10:36 PM

At the time, I did not know enough about him to know. I then thought that there were more qualified people available. Guess that's why I do not hire coaches.

Apr 23, 2017, 11:35 PM

Honestly, after watching that first press conference back in the day I was convinced. I signed on to Dabo's leadership. He seemed to already have a plan. I had seen the tough years of football since after the early 80's. When I watched Dabo's press conference ( which I have watched several times over now ) one reporter asked him a question during the interview. He asked " So, what are your intentions and goals here Swinney?"
I remember Coach Swinney looking that guy in the eye and saying " win championships ". Simple as that. I hadn't heard a Clemson coach talk that boldly and assertively in a long time. Since then, he has proven to be one Clemson's best hires of all time and still continues to be. He is a Championship coach.

ATech

Apr 24, 2017, 9:31 AM

I believe TB hired him and recommend him for the Interim HC when he left. When I saw the energy and confidence he brought to the team I felt like he would be a really good HC in time. Some of you may disagree with me about TB, But he left Dabo a solid foundation to build from and helped to start the culture change within the football program.

However, I will admit that I did not believe Dabo could take Clemson to the levels of success that he has. It's like I said before, Dabo brought a new level of energy and confidence to Clemson. You can feel it every time you come to a football related event or if Dabo is speaking. That's why the best kids want to play for Clemson.

There was electricity all around Clemson during the Spring Game and the NC celebration and parade.

OSU, Bama, Auburn, and FSU have really good teams. But Clemson has what I call "The Dabo Affect" , excitement, energy and electricity you feel at Clemson that turned our program into "Elite Status". As well as great coaching and talented players with great character and integrity.

But lets not forget where we came from. Clemson stay humble and appreciate what you have and have faith in an even greater future.

I never want to see Clemson become arrogant and conceded like some of those teams we have beaten the last few years. I think Dabo will do a great job keeping the program hungry for more success.

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic