Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
logical reason for optimistic expectations for the '17 season
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

logical reason for optimistic expectations for the '17 season

Apr 21, 2017, 12:50 AM

The answer to the question, "how will Clemson manage to replace so many stars from the 2016 team?" is simple.... with MORE STARS! Just about every starter who left early or graduated could possibly be replaced by an even higher rated player. Feaster or Choice higher than Gallman; Smith or Lamar higher than Boulware; Cain or Higgins higher than Williams; McCloud or Rogers higher than Scott; Mullin or Terrell higher than Tankersly; even Richard higher than Leggett and wait for it..... Johnson higher rated than Watson coming out of high school!

Don't get me wrong, I know those guys are all legends and will live forever in Clemson lore but this year's team is the deepest, most talented team we've ever had from 1 to 85 (until 2018 lol). Doesn't mean it will be the BEST team but for the folks waiting for the Tigers to have some kind of letdown next year may be in for a rude awakening

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: logical reason for optimistic expectations for the '17 season

Apr 21, 2017, 1:09 AM

I've seen the star statistics, are you're right. However, game time playing experience has a lot to do with this young and talented Tiger Team. It all starts at QB, but as you mentioned, the 5 star talent is even there. I think with the stockpile of QB's & RB's, with elite WR talent coming in ( see: Tee Higgins ) along with Cain, Renfrow, Powell, Overton, and on.

If Ohio & Alabama can make it to the playoffs with a top ranked defense and an " adequate" passing game, you have a playoff birth. A lot of that though, will depend on how things work out at QB. Can our new QB feed a large group of hungry wide receivers that can " go up " and make plays to help a new QB out. The run game will also need to be established early, but that's a given. Fester, Fuller and Choice for the hard runs will be on display, while things get worked out. Still though, as you mentioned. We shouldn't see a major drop off under the Dabo era, it would be a reversal if we won less than 10 games. However, would we be shocked if we only won 8-9 with a small bowl appearance? How much should we expect? I think we have too much talent for it not to be utilized, and that I trust the decisions by Dabo and Co. The playoff's, maybe that's a bit high. However, with a stifling defense that CU has, we are now the most feared defense in the nation with more Championship starters coming back, proven, hungry, Dabo's & OC's have a plan.

Apr 21, 2017, 1:19 AM

Our coaching staff is always a reason to be optimistic about any season. No matter who we have on the roster I trust Dabo, Venebles, Scott & Elliot, and all the great position coaches we have to get them ready to play Clemson Football come this Fall

I'll still miss Hobby and Brooks though.***

Apr 21, 2017, 1:24 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Apr 21, 2017, 2:59 AM [ in reply to Re: logical reason for optimistic expectations for the '17 season ]

We all agree a QB can cover up a lot of deficiencies so I worry about Louisville even with their personnel and to a lesser extent FSU but here's my reason for optimism-

Watson. Scouts and pundits aren't always right but they get paid the big money for a reason. And only about one in ten, if that, thinks Watson's as good as we think he is. And thinking back, there were a lot of contributors helping him look good. Maybe some of those spectacular catches are just more picks with lesser receivers.

So if we are actually replacing an A-minus QB who had flashes of brilliance with a B QB who makes a few great plays here and there, we'll be okay. I keep going back to that Oklahoma game with Stoudt- he didn't just suddenly become Tom Brady; he just looked that way with a lot of help.

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic