Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Levon Kirkland: Humble recruiting beginnings to Hall of Fame
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

New Story: Levon Kirkland: Humble recruiting beginnings to Hall of Fame

Apr 20, 2017, 6:38 PM

Levon Kirkland: Humble recruiting beginnings to Hall of Fame

What would Levon Kirkland’s rating have been if the scouting services that exist today existed when he was a senior at South Carolina’s Lamar High School? Four-star or five-star? Whatever it would have been, he almost didn't get a Clemson offer.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Levon Kirkland: Humble recruiting beginnings to Hall of Fame

Apr 20, 2017, 8:34 PM

This is one of my favorites when people talk about recruiting rankings. I followed recruiting very close even back then. I remember reading the Orange & White after signing day. The one recruit in that class that I could not understand us offering was Levon Kirkland. I think he was a 2 star, if my memory is correct. He turns out to be the BEST signee in the entire class. It taught me how much you can trust the analysts.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Awesome! I love it! One of the best of all time***

Apr 20, 2017, 8:46 PM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Clemson's been lucky over the decades to have so many

Apr 20, 2017, 8:58 PM

talented linebackers....and I feel a bit sorry for those too young to have seen Levon take the field cuz he was one of the greatest in Clemson history. He was huge, fast, intimidating, and hit like a freight train.....folks on the other team were literally afraid of him.....and with good reason. It could even occasionally get a little uncomfortable in the stands watching him dismantle an offense by wrecking a running back or tight end unfortunate enough to cross in front of him and then blitz and scare the poop out of a QB

Clemson had some talented defenses those years and Levon Kirkland was a major reason why

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson's been lucky over the decades to have so many

Apr 20, 2017, 11:18 PM

I can vouch for how hard he hit at Lamar. My freshman year, due to my size and going to an even smaller school, they put me on varsity as a TE. 1st game, 1st year on varsity..against Lamar. I think I had a nervous tick for about 4 more games after that one. Dude was a beast and had a tremendous career. Proud of his accomplishments.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 20, 2017, 9:08 PM

And a GREAT DAY for The Tigers as well Levon!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 20, 2017, 10:21 PM

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/07/jerome-bettis-on-levon-kirkland-i-was-just-like-wow/

Kirkland was a BEAST! My favorite all time Clemson Linebacker. I hated the Steelers, but only watched them because of Levon.

Apr 21, 2017, 1:53 AM

Levon is one of my favorite Tigers of all-time. It seems like just yesterday when he was terrorizing opposing quarterbacks, and had Major Harris running for his life :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers........Fight Big Cat

Always respected and looked up to Levon

Apr 21, 2017, 2:08 AM

I was a freshman in '93 and Levon would come back to CU to train in the summers. I remember him showing up and running 440's with us. I was blown away by his size, speed, and athleticism. He is such a class act and such a great representative for Clemsom and for the state of South Carolina.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LK is still my favorite Clemson player of all time

Apr 21, 2017, 5:57 AM

NM

Re: LK is still my favorite Clemson player of all time

Apr 21, 2017, 10:04 AM

My favorite memory of LK was him sitting humbly next to his wife, Keisha Kirkland, and just smiling during the time they interviewed her on TV. He didn't say a word and let her have her time under the spot light. Just a class act.

My traditional all-time favorite player

Apr 21, 2017, 6:43 AM

Met his mom in an optometry store the summer before I started Clemson and had no idea who Kirkland was (I did not grow up a Clemson fan). I just responded politely when she told me who her son was.
It wasn't until I got to school and had started Tiger Band that I realized just how much of a superstar he was.

I was at Clemson 87-92 so overlapped all of his years

Apr 21, 2017, 7:31 AM

I saw him around a few times and he was a full grown man when he showed up. Him and Brenston Buckner are two of the biggest men I have ever seen in person.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No more heralded than Vic Bealsey, 6'1"/215 a CU find***

Apr 21, 2017, 8:24 AM

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic