Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
BKB Update: Brad Brownell's contract extended through 2021
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

BKB Update: Brad Brownell's contract extended through 2021

Apr 20, 2017, 11:09 AM

Brad Brownell's contract extended through 2021

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: BKB Update: Brad Brownell's contract extended through 2021

Apr 20, 2017, 11:13 AM

what is the sound of one hand not clapping.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uhhhhh, April Fool's Day was three weeks ago...

Apr 20, 2017, 11:13 AM

###...

I've been rolling my eyes at people upset with how D-Rad has handled CBB up to this point, but an extension seems crazy. I get that you don't want other teams telling recruits the writing is on the wall about him getting canned but this is a vote of confidence he does NOT deserve.

EDIT--ok so I posted after reading the headline and not the whole article... Classic knee-jerk T-Net move, BUT, I still think CBB comes out on top with this by the tune of about half a million, which I don't think he's done anything to earn.

I like the guy, I've been a big defender up until this past season. I think he's a good coach, I just don't think it's worked out at Clemson.

Message was edited by: acevans®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Today is 4-20 - coincidence?***

Apr 20, 2017, 11:15 AM

Did I miss something?

Apr 20, 2017, 11:17 AM [ in reply to Uhhhhh, April Fool's Day was three weeks ago... ]

This seems to be a good thing for folks who aren't happy with Brownell.

He's "extended" to 2021, but the buyout was cut from around 3 million to 1.7 million. So he gets the "vote of confidence" he needs to recruit and try and build the program (which he needs if he has any chance of succeeding), but in all honesty we are in a effectively better position to let him go should next season not go well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's good for if we fire him next year but he's guaranteed

Apr 20, 2017, 11:19 AM

2 million if we don't. I think this works out better for Clemson ONLY if he's canned after next season.

Isn't that the same salary he was making?

Apr 20, 2017, 11:23 AM

This link:
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/clemson-brad-brownell-agree-to-new-six-year-contract/

says this of his 2014 contract:

Brownell, 45, will earn $1.55 million in base salary and supplemental income 2014-15,
with that figure steadily increasing each ensuing season until it reaches a $2 million
figure in 2019-20.

That seems in line with this about his new contract:

Brownell is guaranteed to make $1.8 million in 2017-18,
$1.9 million in 2018-19 and $2 million each for 2019-20 and 2020-21.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was terrible at math so I very well could be wrong BUT:

Apr 20, 2017, 11:30 AM

If we fire him at the end of next season, under the new K, we owe him: $850,000. That's great.

If we keep him, and fire him after the 2019 season, that's $2 million salary, plus $425K.

Under the old K, if we fired him after the 2019 season (i.e. didn't renew the K), we're only out 2 million, right?

Actually if he's fired after next season, before April 30,

Apr 20, 2017, 11:34 AM

then the buyout is $1.7M. Basically what this does is make it cheaper to fire him if he Brownells it again next year, or if he has a good year it gives him the support to keep recruiting well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

By "next year" I meant they'd fire him May 1, 2018 when the

Apr 20, 2017, 11:38 AM

buyout would drop from 1.7 million. I'm assuming if he "Brownells" next season, they're not going to fire him before April 30th, that would be ridiculous, but they can still can him in May.

They would have to fire him before April 30 next year if

Apr 20, 2017, 11:40 AM

they want to hire a decent replacement who can get a jump start on recruiting. If they were to wait until May 1 next year they might as well keep him another year at that point.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Did I miss something?

Apr 20, 2017, 4:40 PM [ in reply to Did I miss something? ]

Should have read more carefully.....my bad, but....... still thought we should have gone after another coach.

Re: Did I miss something?

Apr 20, 2017, 4:40 PM [ in reply to Did I miss something? ]

Should have read more carefully.....my bad, but....... still thought we should have gone after another coach.

Re: Uhhhhh, April Fool's Day was three weeks ago...

Apr 21, 2017, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Uhhhhh, April Fool's Day was three weeks ago... ]

It should be really easy to hire any coach to coach Clemson BB after this. They see that they can come coach at Clemson and get paid millions and do less work, and win less. The NCAA and NIT tourney, don't sweat it, one and done in either equals it's ok to look at next year and repeat bc all is good at Littlejohn!!!

So basically the extension was just consideration for

Apr 20, 2017, 11:15 AM

lowering the buyout. That's actually a good move.

Re: So basically the extension was just consideration for

Apr 20, 2017, 11:17 AM

How dare you bring logic and reason into an emotional discussion on T-Net!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

His buyout is POTENTIALLY lowered...

Apr 20, 2017, 11:34 AM [ in reply to So basically the extension was just consideration for ]

"The compensation committee of the board also adjusted Brownell's buyout, which was previously $3 million with mitigation had he been fired following the 2016-17 season. The buyout without mitigation is now $1.7 million if he is released before April 30 of 2018. That number drops to $850,000 if he is released before April 30 of 2019 and $425,000 if he is released before April 30 of 2020."

Previously it was $3 million with mitigation; now it's $1.7 million without mitigation. Under the old contract, if he was fired but found another position making $1.5 million the buyout would have only been $1.5 million [$3 MM - $1.5 MM].

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Right, because if he's fired from Clemson I'm sure he's

Apr 20, 2017, 11:48 AM

going to find another job making $1.5M.

Cood happen***

Apr 20, 2017, 11:51 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In effect, I think this just makes it a known quantity

Apr 20, 2017, 12:01 PM [ in reply to His buyout is POTENTIALLY lowered... ]

It just means we KNOW the total we pay him if we decide to let him go.

Under the old contract he had no incentive to pursue other employment as he would effectively we working for free. Now, this lets us KNOW what we are paying, and it helps make the decision a bit more concrete.

Good point Thom, and very well stated. And thanks for NOT

Apr 20, 2017, 12:06 PM

being a sarcastic jackass like GWPTiger®

Good move recruiting wise.***

Apr 20, 2017, 12:04 PM [ in reply to So basically the extension was just consideration for ]

Apr 20, 2017, 11:22 AM

And Brad just offered Pete Nance. Waited till he is a top 50 recruit now after what his dad Larry did here. Epic fail if he goes elsewhere...

https://mobile.twitter.com/coreyevans_10/status/854865267318509572

Uhh... ??***

Apr 20, 2017, 11:31 AM

Apr 20, 2017, 12:11 PM

It's a win win situation. Brownell gets his 4th year for recruiting. We get a lowered buyout if next is like last year. He will be easier to fire. Don't be shocked to hear rival recruiters use this against us. The lowered buyout proves that Drad is not confident in Brownell. The good recruits will see through this deal.

Apr 20, 2017, 12:39 PM

yawn

Speaking of seeing through things everyone can see through your charade and tell you arent a Clemson fan.

Message was edited by: Clemalum07®

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Apr 20, 2017, 1:39 PM

Your message is getting old. True Clemson fans value winning and don't put up with underachieving programs. Larry Shyatt would be coach under Drads standards. I have this true fan stuff before. Tommy Bowden was fired for not winning championships. Jack Leggett was fired for letting his program slide. Did it make the fans who wanted these coaches replaced not true Clemson fans? No! Brownell will be back next year. Win on the court and the fans will support him. Lose and expect heat.

Apr 20, 2017, 3:43 PM

"Your message is getting old. "

So says the account that has spent 90% of his posts on here saying the same #### over and over agian against CBB and the Basketball program.

Apr 21, 2017, 12:34 PM

I'm not against the basketball program . Brownell took over a program that was featured on College Gameday and went to multiple NCAA tournaments and ran it into to the ground. He's done nothing in seven years on the court to improve on Purnells work. I just want to see us win games and go to the tournament. Brownell got more time from Drad but that reduced buyout lets us make a change next year if we see similar results. I'll bet you were a Bowden supporter and Leggett supporter even when it was obvious that changes were needed.

Maybe he has a silent from Zion***

Apr 20, 2017, 3:05 PM

Re: So he's got compromising pics of the whole lot of 'em

Apr 20, 2017, 3:34 PM

No other rational explanation.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

This is so dumb

Apr 20, 2017, 4:37 PM

Why not let him finish out his contract?......then see if he's worth another. He's seems like a great guy, but he can't coach in this league. It's really hard for me to support this. I will support him as the coach, but I just do not like this decision......GO TIGERS!!!!

Re: This is so dumb

Apr 20, 2017, 4:41 PM

1) having less than 4 years on a contract is brutal for recruiting.

2) this lowered his buy out so it is great for use as well as him.

Apr 20, 2017, 5:23 PM

Sounds like the Jerry Jones 20 Romo love affair. Confusing.

Apr 20, 2017, 5:50 PM

In other words Clemson and Radanovitch give up on Clemson basketball!

Wake me in 2021 ??***

Apr 20, 2017, 6:48 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow.***

Apr 20, 2017, 8:21 PM

Apr 20, 2017, 8:44 PM

Sounds like gtech all over again. I'm telling you this guy is no good plus he's an a$$

Apr 20, 2017, 10:07 PM

Shocking Armsb isn't smart enough to see this is a good move

Apr 21, 2017, 12:20 AM

Shocking ClemAlum is excited to watch us suck at basketball yet again!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 21, 2017, 7:14 AM

Shocking that DA Viztiz can't stick with facts

I wanted Brownell fired this year and guess what morons this new contract helps with making that easier next year.

Tells me I WON'T be watching

Apr 21, 2017, 2:48 PM

Clemson hoops until 2022. How can you have such a winner in football with Dabo, and such Loser in hoops. Weird. Who cares I am ready for September.

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic