Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Brownell defends his program, says team was two wins short of NCAA Tourney
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 107
| visibility 1

New Story: Brownell defends his program, says team was two wins short of NCAA Tourney

Apr 17, 2017, 1:34 PM

Brownell defends his program, says team was two wins short of NCAA Tourney

Brad Brownell sat down with members of the media a little over a week ago and spent time defending his program while also pointing to what he hopes is a bright future. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One basket away***

Apr 17, 2017, 1:35 PM

Re: One basket away***

Apr 17, 2017, 2:03 PM

GUESS SOMEONE FORGOT THAT THIS INTERVIEW WAS DONE THE DAY OF THE SPRING GAME. WHY BRING IT UP AGAIN.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So that was meant to bury it so we ignore it?***

Apr 18, 2017, 2:47 PM

Tommy, is that you?

Apr 17, 2017, 1:37 PM

Seems we've seen this song and dance before...

Sure as heck sounds like it. Except he didn't use the

Apr 17, 2017, 2:04 PM

excuse, uh, I mean the word "parity."

That was the first thing that came across my mind***

Apr 17, 2017, 3:03 PM [ in reply to Tommy, is that you? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Careful, you'll make the Brownlee pumpers mad....***

Apr 17, 2017, 7:43 PM [ in reply to Tommy, is that you? ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some of these reasons rub me the wrong way

Apr 17, 2017, 1:38 PM

especially not knowing your personnel. After 8 months, guy you should know your guys capabilities

Some of these reasons rub me the wrong way

Apr 17, 2017, 1:38 PM

especially not knowing your personnel. After 8 months, guy you should know your guys capabilities

Re: Brownell defends his program- I noticed

Apr 17, 2017, 1:39 PM

the high note we ended the year on. BB would be better served laying low. His attitude annoys me

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brownell defends his program- I noticed

Apr 17, 2017, 4:50 PM

For real, it just comes off so dick-ish.

I can't, I just can't***

Apr 17, 2017, 1:39 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

They made medicine for that***

Apr 17, 2017, 1:49 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Things Mrs. GWP says to herself before getting into bed with

Apr 17, 2017, 1:54 PM [ in reply to I can't, I just can't*** ]

GWP" for $100 Alex.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

What do you mean exactly?***

Apr 17, 2017, 2:02 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

She was not looking forward to your dic

Apr 17, 2017, 2:07 PM

tionary word games you play on the Ipad before bed.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Brownell defends his program, says team was two wins short of NCAA Tourney

Apr 17, 2017, 1:42 PM

So he is basically striving to be one of the last 4 teams in??? not sure why he keeps using the stats of the last 10 teams in, our goals should be to not have to worry about that and be one of the first 64 teams.

Low standards causes low win percentages

Re: New Story: Brownell defends his program, says team was two wins short of NCAA Tourney

Apr 17, 2017, 1:46 PM

What's his excuse for not making past the first round of the NIT...

Apr 17, 2017, 2:15 PM

For sure results count and he knows it. Expect his defensive front. He also knows he's on the hot seat cause he had a good team but they couldn't deliver under pressure. Even against inferior teams, which is the whole point. Next year he turns it around or we're looking for someone who can. What happened to his defensive mantra?

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was addressing this year's goal, making the NCAAs.

Apr 17, 2017, 8:21 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Brownell defends his program, says team was two wins short of NCAA Tourney ]

He never said, nor implied, that he or the team barely wanted to get into the tournament. The reality is that we were very close to making it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Apr 17, 2017, 10:26 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Brownell defends his program, says team was two wins short of NCAA Tourney ]

I didn't take it that way. He was not addressing next years team, he was talking about this past clemson teammot having the ability to win they close games because if we had won 2 we would have been playing in the tournament

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Re: New Story: Brownell defends his program, says team was two wins short of NCAA Tourney***

Apr 17, 2017, 1:42 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 17, 2017, 1:44 PM

Oh no he d'int.

< shaking head in disgust >

Please stop trying to justify mediocre results***

Apr 17, 2017, 1:44 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

What do you want him to say?!?

Apr 17, 2017, 8:21 PM

"We suck, I suck, and I don't even know why we keep playing basketball here at Clemson?"

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: What do you want him to say?!?

Apr 17, 2017, 10:42 PM

Baseball will forever play at our great CLEMSON UNVERSITY ! It's al tough this time of year in student are winding down their school grades etc.. we need to help bring the energy and words encourament to this kids. He can get us where we need to be. Be patient.

oh boy***

Apr 17, 2017, 1:45 PM

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Oh...then we should dominate the NIT....

Apr 17, 2017, 1:45 PM

oh wait.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Winner for best response***

Apr 17, 2017, 4:14 PM

Re: Only one win short of a NIT win*******

Apr 17, 2017, 6:13 PM [ in reply to Oh...then we should dominate the NIT.... ]

****NM

Apr 17, 2017, 1:48 PM

Apr 17, 2017, 3:00 PM

Brad's team was 1 win short of making it to the second game of the NIT. And the people that selects the teams to the NCAA tourney, their stats on Clemson had shown we had no chance of playing a second game. Now that is the truth Brad-DRad!!!

Apr 17, 2017, 1:56 PM

Brad Brownell can't possibly believe all that crap he wrote. Either that or he really needs a brain wave check because he is not operating in the real world. You can take this to the bank: It's more of the same until he is fired and a new man brought in. He simply is an excuse maker and not a coach with any sense of what the heck he is doing and why it didn't work before and won 't work now or in the future.

In reading his comments I thought they were a joke on his part but the more I read it became apparent that he was serious in his commentsWow! and that's what you get for $1.5 million per year!!

Nothing he said was wrong.

Apr 17, 2017, 8:24 PM

Like it or not, we were very close to being in the NCAA Tournament this year. We had some really good performances, and we improved in a lot of areas. We did not do what it took to get over the hump, which is why we didn't achieve more of our goals.

You and others are so upset that the season didn't go how you wanted it to that you can't objectively evaluate the season for what it was. That is sad.

Re: Nothing he said was wrong.

Apr 18, 2017, 9:56 AM

Let's not look at the fact the NCAA bubble was the SOFTEST it has been maybe ever, even Wake made it in. All Brad has shown to me so far is he consistently can't evaluate talent because look how many guys he has signed who have transferred out. These guys were either not good enough for this level to begin with or not a good fit for the program. Ajukwa had a good year at Charlotte, putting up way better numbers than he ever did here. TJ Sapp was a very good player after transferring as well, so those guys could play but for whatever reason couldn't do it here. The common denominator is Brownell. The best players on this team now are guys that transferred in, not guys he signed to begin with. For every K.J. or Jaron success story, there are three to four failure stories. I'm not saying guys have to be stars but guys like Hudson and Ajukwa struggled to be more than 10 minute a game guys for the vast majority of their time here before leaving. We signed Spencer to a scholarship and he played less than walk on Riley McGillin!

I'm a little numb to this line of thinking after this many years of his program. The facility thing he dealt with wasn't good, but Rick Barnes and Oliver Purnell had to recruit to a crappy Littlejohn also and managed to at least produce a few NCAA tourneys. Of course, both of them landed at least one recruiting class of three to five solid guys who were bedrocks for their tenures. I can't think of a Brownell class that gave us more than two solid guys for three/four years. You had KJ and Rod Hall in a class, you had Roper and Nnoko in a class, Blossomgame and Djitte (which is a bit of a stretch considering Djitte was a one year starter). Compare those to the Wideman, Jamison, McIntyre, Christie class and the Perry, Hammonds, and Mays class. None compare and that is why he has come up short every year but year one with OP's guys.

Where do I start?

Apr 18, 2017, 12:20 PM

1. Transfers are common in today's game. Each team loses an average of 2 players each year to transfers. Clemson has not lost more than that, so the notion that Brownell has had "all these transfers" is incorrect.
2. Evaluating talent is difficult. Sometimes you get it right, and sometimes you don't. This is not unique to Brownell and Clemson.
3. I do not feel that our talent deficiencies are due to incorrectly identifying talent, but by not being able to sign the same players most of our ACC peers sign. Correcting this is partly coaching, partly facilities, partly culture, and partly perception. It's not just on Brownell - the problem is much larger than a coach.
4. A player who transferring out and doing better at another school is not an indictment of Brownell's coaching. It is to be expected that a player transferring to a team in a lower conference would do better than he did in the ACC.
5. The true value of Brownell's coaching is when a player transfers to Clemson, and still shows improvement. This is especially true for our three transfers this past season (Mitchell, Thomas, and Reed).
6. Are you seriously comparing the Littlejohn under Barnes and Purnell to the Littlejohn under Brownell?!? Of course Littlejohn was not nearly as outdated when Barnes was here, and the facilities arms race had not really started then anyway. Purnell benefited from brand new facilities early in his tenure, and although those improvements were not what they should been, he still had something new to show off to recruits. Brownell had to wait until year 7 before he got new facilities, and that is only because he himself made it happen by vastly improving the donor base for basketball (it was basically non-existent before).

Re: Where do I start?

Apr 18, 2017, 12:42 PM

Ok then. I think Littlejohn was condemned about two years after Barnes left but if you want to say Brad has had it worse then knock yourself out.

Holmes put up similar numbers at Clemson as he did at San Fran. Thomas's sample size was way too small to compare. Reed's numbers are comparable considering the jump in level. Mitchell is the only one I'd say has shown markedly better play here than where he came from.

I see we aren't going to convince each other of anything so you can go on being happy with Clemson basketball's direction. I expect better, personally. I've seen FSU and Miami win the ACC in the last seven years and if they can do it, Clemson should be able to do it once in a blue moon. At least make a final like OP did. FSU's hoops facilities are crap BTW.

lol, which 2 wins?

Apr 17, 2017, 2:08 PM

The 2 that would have improved our record to 3-7 vs ranked opponents?

2 that would have run our ACC record all the way up to 8-10?

Or 2 that would have put our losses to unranked teams at home at only 3 rather than 5?

This is horrible. FIRE BROWNELL.

Va Tech ... two 1-point losses.

Apr 17, 2017, 6:26 PM

Switch those game results and Clemson goes toTthe Dance and Va Tech goes to the NIT.

Not that it makes any difference. The one biggest problem the team had all year was not being able to finish a game strongly.

Va Tech had what it took to win those games and Clemson did not.

oh judas! I was 5 numbers away from

Apr 17, 2017, 2:09 PM

Powerball lottery!

Consult with Dabo about making a coaching change?

Apr 17, 2017, 2:23 PM

Is Dabo the assistant athletic director now?

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Assistant?

Apr 17, 2017, 2:29 PM

Dabo doesn't take a back seat to anybody, including D-Rad.

Hth

Re: Consult with Dabo about making a coaching change?

Apr 17, 2017, 3:03 PM [ in reply to Consult with Dabo about making a coaching change? ]

Now that is a great question!!!

Apr 17, 2017, 3:42 PM [ in reply to Consult with Dabo about making a coaching change? ]

Dabo's replacement strategy for assistent coaches:
1) plan for every contingency
2) replace both defensive line coaches with smart up and coming coaches you've had your eye on for years with one in the bag for when the NCAA changes their rules in the next year or so

Brownell's replacement strategy:
1) fire the guy
2) think about what your coaching strategy ought to be
3) maybe talk to that guy from that other sport that you've heard is doing okay
4) start looking around to see if maybe you can find somebody

I like that Brownell runs a clean program and can forgive that Clemson basketball is not a world beater. There has been a lot of adversity and we don't exactly have a rich and glorious basketball tradition to fall back on.

...but he does just sound like he is lost. Come on guy!

Apr 17, 2017, 10:36 PM [ in reply to Consult with Dabo about making a coaching change? ]

He is a couch and Coach Dabo could certainly help him with the players. At Clemson just because we wun the National championship for football, does not many all of our great coaches and assistance would help any way they can to help Clemson basketball get more confidence. Get tested and then come back nasty. We have the best fan base and we can show up anywhere. I really think this is the year he is going to show all of the negatives that takes a little while for everyone to mesh

"Fans are too focused on the wins and losses..." ###***

Apr 17, 2017, 2:26 PM

Apr 17, 2017, 2:29 PM

Well Heidi, USUC was only sux wins away from having a good football season.

It's a mentality thing

Apr 17, 2017, 2:45 PM

You can see it right here. His goal is to be just "good enough". He's defending his program by essentially saying "we were almost good enough to keep everyone at bay. So everyone should be happy." Tommy Bowden wanted to be "good enough" but Dabo wanted to be the best. Look how all that turned out. Brownell will never succeed with that mentality.

Re: It's a mentality thing

Apr 17, 2017, 3:10 PM

Dabo is a coach that won't except anything less than best, and that is why he made it the standard for his players. Demand a lot, make your best the standard, you get a lot back!!!

Lord have mercy. Brownell is a fighter, I'll give him that,

Apr 17, 2017, 2:48 PM

but Lord . . . Lord have mercy.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

You are kidding, he is very passive, like Bowden!***

Apr 17, 2017, 10:03 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems very comfortable.***

Apr 17, 2017, 2:54 PM

Re: Seems very comfortable.***

Apr 17, 2017, 3:03 PM

We have a "winner!" CBB is entirely to comfortable in viewing his program as compared to those of other opponents, as well as the past successful ones at Clemson. DRad and the Trustees need to "light a fire" under his posterior and make it bluntly known his results are not good enough despite his reasoning.

Go Tigers!

"Give me one more year, and if it bears no fruit....

Apr 17, 2017, 3:12 PM

cut it down." In the bible story, the man was given one more chance, a year, to make things happen. That is what Brad has. That'll be two full recruiting cycles, 8 years, millions of dollars. He'll walk away a wealthy man either way.

Sorry but when you start 11-2

Apr 17, 2017, 3:17 PM

and then finish the regular season 5-12 you may not be as close as you think. Yes even losing 4, 5, 6 straight after that 11-2 start Clemson was still in conversation but it wasn't due to the fact Clemson played a strenuous schedule, it was because the rest of the country was average. Then to have the stones to say you don't care what the fans and media say, I mean without the fans you don't have a program Brownie. That kind of ticks me off. I'd think at the very least we as fans could get a friggin apology because we were told this is the year then all os a sudden when it isn't you have all these excuses. You get your All ACC player back something you couldn't do a couple years ago, you are suppose to be a defensive minded coach yet the defense is what was the problem. Don't get me started on the horrible coaching decisions during a few of the games. I am just confused as to what the heck could have been said that makes DRad think the past 6 years was a figment of our imagination. Is it me or has the past 6 years really just been building to the 7th year? I'd really like to know.

Brad, Brad, Brad

Apr 17, 2017, 3:45 PM

Apr 17, 2017, 3:44 PM

We have a no 3 ranked baseball team challenging for ACC and national supremacy. The defending national championship football
Team is ready to defend the title. I expect a lot of talk about the qb position. With the low bar set for Clemson basketball, why are we surprised in Brownells view of the program? Winning matters everywhere at Clemson except in basketball. Ignore the program till we see real differences. Enjoy football and baseball.

Pretty much resigned to the fact that we will continue to

Apr 17, 2017, 3:46 PM

flounder in basketball while CBB is in charge. Would love for him to prove me wrong, but when it walks, quacks, swims, poops, smells etc. like a duck, well, you know...

Go Tigers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Out of touch with reality.***

Apr 17, 2017, 4:12 PM

Re: Out of touch with reality.***

Apr 17, 2017, 4:13 PM

Very out of touch with reality!

I find it interesting on T-Net

Apr 17, 2017, 4:19 PM

That everyone talks about coaches being upfront and honest with fans but when a coach actually does it, we balk.

This year's team, while disappointing in wins/losses, was a solid team. Even with all the conference losses, every NCAA basketball guru had us in the last group in/out until the bitter end. And let's talk about the "Tourney" for a moment shall we. I'm going to share something absolutely revolutionary.......ready...........we aren't going to win the NCAA Title in Basketball. Boom - how about that???!!!!! For those of you fixated on the Tourney, I really pity you. Honestly.

There is nothing BB said that isn't true and hopefully some of you will give the man a fair shot now that we actually have a quality (not elite) basketball facility. Dabo has certainly benefited from the massive upgrades in the football facilities so let's give BB a year or two to see if he can leverage this in recruiting. If he can't, you guys have get your sexy hire, who will most likely stay here 2-3 years (if he is successful or unsuccessful) before moving on to the next (better) job.

BB is a class man who does not cheat, which is a MAJOR exception in the basketball world, is well respected in the industry and loves Clemson. Hopefully you will realize that he isn't a bad coach, he just had a bad year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I find it interesting on T-Net

Apr 17, 2017, 4:22 PM

Bad 6 years.

Re: I find it interesting on T-Net

Apr 17, 2017, 4:25 PM [ in reply to I find it interesting on T-Net ]

Dabo won't this happen. If Clemson football suddenly starting averaging seven to eight wins a year for several years, would you be as understanding? The bar is too low on Clemson basketball. Brownell is a lot like Bowden. He makes a lot of excuses.

Brownell hasn't gotten 1/10th of the support Dabo has.

Apr 17, 2017, 8:30 PM

Basketball gets the leftover scraps from football. The only exception to that is the new basketball facilities, which happened in year 7 for Brownell - and ONLY because he worked his tail off to improve the basketball donor base and get the funding needed for construction. If not for his hard work, we would still be in outdated Littlejohn.

Dabo gets the WEZ, indoor practice facility, and now football operations complex. And he gets a huge budget for his coaching staff, support staff, and all of the bells and whistles. While basketball isn't going to be funded like football is, it should get a lot more than it currently gets.

He doesn't get the support because he is not inspiring like

Apr 17, 2017, 10:05 PM

Dabo and Monty

That is ridiculous.

Apr 18, 2017, 12:22 PM

Basketball at Clemson doesn't get the support because we are too concerned with being a "football school." When/if we decide to be a football school AND a basketball school, and support basketball accordingly, we will see our fortunes improve greatly.

It's easy to blame the coach, but if not for him, we wouldn't have had the new basketball facilities built.

Re: Brownell hasn't gotten 1/10th of the support Dabo has.

Apr 17, 2017, 10:52 PM [ in reply to Brownell hasn't gotten 1/10th of the support Dabo has. ]

I would think that if our basketball coach feels that pressure from alumni, BOT, IPTAY, any and all other athletics teams it's not something that will
Keep him up at. That man watches video of games continuously he will get there

Apr 17, 2017, 4:37 PM

Sounds like Bowden Jr.

Apr 17, 2017, 4:41 PM

Tempo, O&D? pick? break traps and presses? inbound? fast break w/inbound after opponent scores? switch from man to zone on specific reads!

Apr 17, 2017, 8:09 PM

> Tempo, O&D? pick? break traps and presses?
> inbound? fast break w/inbound after opponent
> t scores? switch from man to zone on specific reads!

^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^
Sign this guy up

Re: New Story: Brownell is a CLOWN

Apr 17, 2017, 4:49 PM

"... saying that the media and fans are too focused on wins and losses."

Other than Academics what else is there? Wow. I cannot believe this guy represents our program.

Apr 17, 2017, 4:57 PM

Just remember what Drad said in his presser. Making the the tournament is not core standard. Winning championships is not a core standard. What matters to Drad is that the players are good citizens, that they graduate, and they are good representatives of the university. Nothing wrong with that when winning games and making the Tournament aren't expected, it's not hard to understand why the basketball program is not performing at a high level.

Apr 17, 2017, 5:34 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Brownell is a CLOWN ]

My feelings exactly! With him as head coach it is NO WONDER we win 3 games a year on the womens side!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good grief. Sigh...***

Apr 17, 2017, 5:03 PM

After losing to Oakland in the NIT

Apr 17, 2017, 5:37 PM

Any argument about us being even remotely close to an NCAA tournament team is just silly. We will be worse next year and this whole argument will occur again. Should have made a change this year. There has been no progress during his tenure and quite frankly the outlook for the future isn't great.

IMHO Brownell is deluded

Apr 17, 2017, 5:49 PM

Brownell is thoroughly outclassed as an ACC coach both as a recruiter and an in-game tactician. He has robbed Clemson University of any opportunity to field a credible basketball team while enriching himself and his family for multiple generations. I know. Tell me how you really feel ... Last year was the 1st season I skipped since Cliff coached.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: IMHO Brownell is deluded

Apr 17, 2017, 6:58 PM

And arrogant. I'm so sick of the "I'm from the Midwest so I'm the smartest guy in the room" vibe. Who fires an assistant and doesn't have a plan on who his replacement is? DRad and a good number of Tiger fans are content with it, so I guess I need to be too.

Brownell arrogant?!?

Apr 17, 2017, 8:34 PM

Have you ever met him and spoken with him? He's one of the most genuine, down to earth people you will meet. Did you read the nice things he said about Clemson and the people here?

Just because he hasn't announced his plans for a new assistant doesn't mean that he doesn't have a plan. See, that's the problem you and many others here have. You assume that because YOU don't know details, that those details don't exist. A lot happens behind the scenes that you don't know about - or ever even hear about - and it is kept private for a reason. You don't really think that he's just sitting on his hands with no idea who he is going to hire to replace Winiecki, do you?!?

Re: Brownell arrogant?!?

Apr 17, 2017, 10:08 PM

Yes, I'll repeat it again for you, arrogant. When a coach says his fanbase doesn't understand what they see, which is 6 consecutive years of mediocrity, that is arrogance. I'll add another word for you too; stubborn. Too stubborn to make the necessary tactical changes to maximize what he has on his roster for years now. No amount of Brownell boot licking, brow beating from you will change my opinion either. Now move along and troll someone else who opposes a mediocre basketball program as I do because I refuse to budge or be silent.

I'm not trolling, just trying to help people get perspective

Apr 18, 2017, 12:26 PM

None of us find our lack of NCAA Tournament appearances under Brownell acceptable, including Brownell himself. Radakovich doesn't either. But it is overly simplistic thinking to treat this like a black and white issue. Our problem is not the head coach nearly as much as it is the culture at Clemson surrounding basketball.

I don't know why you are getting so offended by Brownell's personality or comments. He thinks a lot of Clemson and our fans. But I don't know why I'm telling you this, because you have already made up your mind and aren't open to reconsidering your stance.

Keep expecting fine wine on a beer budget when it comes to Clemson basketball. Let me know how that turns out for ya.

i think he'll have a tough time

Apr 17, 2017, 11:07 PM [ in reply to Brownell arrogant?!? ]

Getting a solid guy....he's on a major hot seat, dwindling support and Clemson basketball isn't exactly a destination vas an assistant. Possibly might get a respected mid major guy looking for a break or catch a perfect storm with an established guy. Gonna be tough either way.

I want Clemson bball to do well but it's hard to support Brad...it's been 8 years for goodness sake and we haven't gotten any better...just stayed the same...just a meh program and coach.

I don't know Brad and I don't think he comes across as arrogant but he certainly acts defensive. I can't say I blame him but it's just an odd situation.

I agree, it's going to be tough.

Apr 18, 2017, 12:28 PM

I was shocked that he did not get a contract extension from DRad for recruiting purposes, especially since he agreed to a reduced buyout. That will certainly work against him when it comes to recruiting players and potential assistants. I honestly don't think it is fair to put any coach in that situation. Either fire him and move on, or show the necessary public support for your coach and get behind him in what is certainly a pivotal year for the coach and program.

Re: I agree, it's going to be tough.

Apr 18, 2017, 2:30 PM

Now THIS I agree with. However, I can't imagine the public opinion of another extension after last year which is likely why it didn't happen. This is why we should have just moved on. Brad leveraged the facility situation into this current contract so I wouldn't have felt so bad for him had that occurred.

Bring in the violins .....

Apr 17, 2017, 6:14 PM

sigh .......

Go Tigers!! Get R Done in 2018!!***

Apr 17, 2017, 6:20 PM

Sign him up for a lifetime contract

Apr 17, 2017, 6:19 PM

And a large bonus for being 1 win short of NCAA tournament

Apr 17, 2017, 7:14 PM

Is that you Tommy Bowden?

Apr 17, 2017, 7:22 PM

Below is the list of things short of getting an NCAA bid:

300 times of failure to block out
100 times of failure to follow our shot
20 times of failure being able to inbounds the ball
100 times of being out of control on covering opponents perimeter shooters and going past them as they fake a shot, our guy goes flying past and then opponent goes in for a layup

Brownlee, you are not going about the correct way of getting fan support

Apr 17, 2017, 7:37 PM

I am only 5 zeros away from being a millionaire!!!!Who would have ever thought

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your lips move, but I can't hear what you're saying....

Apr 17, 2017, 7:22 PM

Brrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddddddd.....
...has become.... comfortably dumb.

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

We have become***

Apr 17, 2017, 8:37 PM

he should be proud of their play.Coaching was the problem

Apr 17, 2017, 8:34 PM

he had youth,but mistakes late in the game were by seniors "Sidi". why couldn't he make changes during the Year instead of making the same mistakes in the last 2 min,s of the game over & over again. retaining him was a mistake that will cost us & that's on DRAD

I can't remember the last time I read so many people saying

Apr 17, 2017, 9:17 PM

so much about so little

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Apr 17, 2017, 9:21 PM

Care to tell us which two wins we needed.

Apr 17, 2017, 10:46 PM

Would it matter to you. We lost 10-12 games by less than 3 points. It may be they need to slow down the plays when it's basically over. Clemson had a shot for the NCAA field this year and with proper training, getting into play book. This 2017 teem know how close we wer in making the final four in

BB is really good at making excuses, now he needs to learn

Apr 17, 2017, 10:02 PM

how to Not Lose. All he has to do is study Dabo and Monty.

They aren't excuses, they are reality.

Apr 18, 2017, 12:31 PM

I don't know why that is so hard for some of you to accept.

Apr 17, 2017, 10:22 PM

I really think he will have our basketball team ready to finish off those games this year. Wish Coach nothing but great things that I hope turn in to great basketball

Apr 17, 2017, 11:08 PM

Brad in his interview said that it was the fans who only cared about wins and losses. He has good kids,they graduate, and are good Clemson representatives. Wins and tournament appearances are irrelevant. Listen to his presser. The man is in an alternate reality.

"Fans to concerned with wins and losses"-Then why even keep score

Apr 18, 2017, 4:48 AM

So Brownlee goes into his post season evaluation with Rad and says winning doesn't really matter and even if it did we were just 2 wins short. The first is delusional and the second is a bold faced lie. We needed to be at least .500 in conference but finished 12th out of 15 teams. Reminiscent of Shyatt claiming the National Championship after winning the NIT. There's positivity, then theres just being goofy.

This kind of nonsense is not going to help his

Apr 18, 2017, 11:41 AM

relationship with the fans. Instead of Dabo, maybe BB should get some advice from Ken Hatfield.

Re: This kind of nonsense is not going to help his

Apr 18, 2017, 12:29 PM

Ken Hatfield was fired for not winning games and losing badly.

SC was two wins from a NC, but we should be satisfied..

Apr 18, 2017, 1:09 PM

with being two wins from MAKING THE TOURNAMENT

Re: SC was two wins from a NC, but we should be satisfied..

Apr 18, 2017, 1:13 PM

The goals of the basketball program according to Drad and Brownell are to graduate players, have good people in the program, and the players being good representatives of the university. Winning doesn't count as a core need.

our football team has done all of that plus win***

Apr 19, 2017, 8:16 AM

Re: our football team has done all of that plus win***

Apr 19, 2017, 8:59 AM

I somehow think that winning is expected in football. The standards are much higher compared to the low standards for basketball.

And he is 2 sandwiches short of a picnic.***

Apr 18, 2017, 3:24 PM

Replies: 107
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic