Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Would rather take a risk on a new coach
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1,391

Would rather take a risk on a new coach

Mar 20, 2017, 11:10 PM

We took a risk with Dabo and it worked. Rather than keep Brownell who has proven nothing except he can't coach out of a timeout or at the end of a close game, I don't understand why we don't find a good assistant at Clemson, at another school or a former assistance and take a chance.

He succeeds even moderately and we pay him handsomely to stay. He fails and we're no better off than we are.

Right now our future is down-right depressing. I would much rather have a terrible season next year with new blood and the possibility of a future than to continue our current trajectory.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you aware of Clemson's history of hiring and retaining coaches?

Mar 20, 2017, 11:13 PM

If so, you wouldn't feel that way.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Been watching Clemson BBall since Tates Locke

Mar 20, 2017, 11:20 PM

And we have had several coaches for many years far more successful that Brownell. And at a time when the ACC was smaller, overall better and you played every team twice a season. In that time we have had several coaches far better than Brownell, including:

* Tates Locke
* Bill Foster
* Rick Barnes
* Cliff Ellis

Heck, I am nostalgic for Purnell at this point. All of the above coaches had good tenures and none left for better jobs (despite what you may have heard about Barnes that is not why he left)

You can also look at football in a different way. We like to think we've always been near the top of the mountain but the truth is that other than a few Ford years we have been a pretty average football school for most our existence. The mid 1970's were down-right brutal.

Nostalgic for the Purnell days, huh?

Mar 20, 2017, 11:24 PM

What was so great about having a cocky white boy 3 point shooter that rained bullseyes and irritated every single fan base in the ACC?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No didn't care for TO but

Mar 20, 2017, 11:30 PM

Even Purnell knew when to call a Time Out and how to coach out of a Time Out.

Other than TO he also recruited some pretty good players including Booker, Stitt and others.

I was being sarcastic. I loved it when TO would drain the

Mar 21, 2017, 8:16 AM

3's and draw 2 men to him 30 feet away and pass it to Booker for a jam. I don't mind the cockiness at all if you can back it up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Honestly, at least it was interesting and entertaining

Mar 20, 2017, 5:27 PM [ in reply to Nostalgic for the Purnell days, huh? ]

Instead of watching this team that struggles to inbound the ball.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^ Exactly

Mar 20, 2017, 11:35 PM

nm

No, he's not aware of anything

Mar 21, 2017, 1:41 AM [ in reply to Are you aware of Clemson's history of hiring and retaining coaches? ]

Just one of the handful who got excited about a firing that wasn't going to happen. BB will get it done.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In what year will be get it done? Year 10?, 11? ....

Mar 21, 2017, 3:58 AM

There's no real pressure to improve basketball

Mar 20, 2017, 11:29 PM

I know there's a vocal group on here that wants change, but I think in the real world the view is football is doing great, baseball is good, and as long as we're not in last place in the ACC, for basketball that's good enough. NIT game was a ghost town, the spring game will be packed. Is what it is.

NIT was a ghost town because no one expected to win

Mar 20, 2017, 11:34 PM

I sure didn't. A couple of years ago NIT was NOT a ghost town. The team and most fans have given up on BB.

A lot of Clemson fans LOVE basketball but we know the direction the program is headed - unfortunately.

when it comes to bball, Clemson fans are extremely fickle

Mar 20, 2017, 11:41 PM

As you said, they only show up if they know they'll win. The casual fan base quit on Brownell years ago, and heck, we have students who had to go a whole year without a basketball "home" game, and they didn't really notice. Yeah there's some who love basketball, but I wouldn't say it's a priority at all.

People have ST basketball memory. I went to Clemson '79-'83

Mar 20, 2017, 11:53 PM

And barely missed a home game and we weren't world beaters. Was there when we literally broke fire code against Duke. Games were usually at least 75% full - close to 100% for ACC games.

My daughters attended Clemson during the span of 2006 - 2012 and one of them hardly missed a home game and was worried she might miss some bc they would run out of tickets. Purnell put more butts in seats than BB.

Re: People have ST basketball memory. I went to Clemson '79-'83

Mar 21, 2017, 12:21 AM

I was there the same years. I can honestly say the only games I didn't attend was during breaks when school wasn't going on...There were some great games during our time. Lefty at MD...Smith at unc...Foster followed by ratface at Duke...

Never forget the Duke game where they sat 2 people on every other step. A total wall of people sitting across from us...

...and the first time Ralph Sampson walked out of the tunnel...walked under the goal...reached up and grabbed the net - half way up...standing flatfooted.

Murray Jarman during pregame doing layups with the rim almost at eye level when he jumped...

twas a great time...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We weren't world beaters but we were competitive

Mar 21, 2017, 12:34 AM

And you always felt you had a chance. I bet average attendance was as good or better than now even though the student body was 1/2 the size it is now.
If you build it (and I don't mean the building) they will come

Re: Would rather take a risk on a new coach

Mar 21, 2017, 12:43 AM

No one's happy playing it safe right now. We might make the first round in the next few years, but no one believes that we'll be contenders. Even if the next coach doesn't get us there, we will feel like something's being done about it.

There is no risk on a new coach. We dont go to...

Mar 21, 2017, 4:13 AM

the tournament now. If we never won another gane it would be the same as now. It's the tournament or bust each year. The risk being the same or better. There is no downside.

Agree. We know what we have now isn't working

Mar 21, 2017, 8:24 AM

And isn't going to work so why not try someone unproven?
At least then there is the possibility of success and finding our basketball version of Dabo.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1,391
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic