Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Venables not satisfied despite solid scrimmage
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

New Story: Venables not satisfied despite solid scrimmage

Mar 17, 2017, 8:20 AM

Venables not satisfied despite solid scrimmage

Clemson finished eighth nationally in total defense in 2016, tenth in 2015 and first in 2014. Part of the reason is that defensive coordinator Brent Venables is never satisfied. Not even after a dominant scrimmage during spring practice. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And this, my friends, is why we have the best DC in the biz

Mar 17, 2017, 8:46 AM

Re: And this, my friends, is why we have the best DC in the biz

Mar 17, 2017, 9:57 AM

Great coaches are never satisfied or comfortable. They strive for perfection.

Re: New Story: Venables not satisfied despite solid scrimmage

Mar 17, 2017, 8:57 AM

How did Dabo land Venables ? This guy is awesomenass !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Mar 17, 2017, 8:59 AM

I'm still amazed at this hire. I would have lost my farm betting against being able to lure him from Oklahoma.

Mar 17, 2017, 5:47 PM

You can thank Bob Stoops! He had Venables as a Co-defensive coordinator! With, get this, his brother. Speculation is he wanted to "have his own defense"! W/O the co- in front. Plus at the time, a bunch of the talk was that it was the brothers brilliance that made Oklahoma so good on defense. And the HC's vision on offense. So, he was odd man out! I obviously loved OU; but under that strain............can't blame him for leaving!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Contrast this with our MBB coach who is "comfortable"

Mar 17, 2017, 9:00 AM

After another pedestrian season.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah so that was necessary.

Mar 17, 2017, 12:59 PM

Feel better now?

It was as necessary as your post***

Mar 17, 2017, 2:24 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2017, 9:03 AM

"...and I am talking about lining up and dominating somebody."

Hehehe - ya' gotta love it.

im still hoping Brent doesn't try to resurrect the K State

Mar 17, 2017, 9:45 AM

Program after Snyder retires. He knows how to build a program. 5 years with Dabo now. Great selling point.

Re: im still hoping Brent doesn't try to resurrect the K State

Mar 17, 2017, 9:46 AM

If he does, I'm not sure our defense will be the same again.

Mar 17, 2017, 10:00 AM

I'm sure Dabo has an idea of who he would go after if that day ever comes. Honestly though Brent is really happy at Clemson and he may be more the bud foster type than really wanting to be an hc someday

Mar 17, 2017, 10:08 AM

Change is inevitable but I don't think he would leave a program that he has built up so much. Look what happened to Chad. When it does happen, we can hopefully regroup and restock. I feel like Dabo is going to be around for a long time and no I don't think he goes to Alabama.

Mar 17, 2017, 3:59 PM [ in reply to Re: im still hoping Brent doesn't try to resurrect the K State ]

He pours so much into the defense. I wonder if he would enjoy having to oversee everything? Dabo is really a big picture guy and maybe not great with the Xs and Os. While Brent is into the particulars of his job and perhaps not looking into the broad range of things like Dabo. Just guessing here.

Re: Not Satisfied

Mar 17, 2017, 10:14 AM [ in reply to Re: im still hoping Brent doesn't try to resurrect the K State ]

Clemson has enjoyed success and made the most of a good run culminating in winning the championship. Success can also bring complacency,and a sense of entitlement. This team has not won a game yet. I do not see any team on our schedule that plans on forfeiting their game to us because we are the defending champion. Yes there is a lot of talent and everyone (fans) thinks that we will be playing in the big one next year. I am not saying we can't or won't but what Coach V and Coach D are telling us is that this team must work even harder than last year's team and never can be satisfied to just show up and expect to win.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not Satisfied

Mar 17, 2017, 11:45 AM

Coaches that aren't comfortable, are coaches that are working hard to make their guys better!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looks like Brent has been spending some time in the new weight room ??***

Mar 17, 2017, 1:15 PM

Mar 17, 2017, 1:45 PM

Venables is all over the place lol. I love it. I'd wager he's never completed a full sentence or though in his lifetime. His mind is running 100mph 24/7.

Coach Talk! Translation - "never be happy"!

Mar 17, 2017, 6:01 PM

Some people have a hard time deciphering coach talk! So allow me. " I am not going to stand here and tell you guys they did great or even good". Why? Because they read this stuff man, and will perhaps feel they have arrived and stop working". So, I will never admit we look good!

LOL! Really, it's like the Karate master who knows his student has it; perhaps even surpassing him. But, b/c we all fall short of absolute perfection, you always push.

Plus, I would expect a blow up. Stop practice. " If you guys think Auburn is going to just give it to you you're crazy, they will blow us off this field"! Or something of that nature either now or in fall ball. Why? To keep that edge! To keep guys hungry! To keep that desire! Pulling a Saban! Or some zen stuff like Phil Jackson!
There are enough guys who even if they played a bunch last year; have plenty to prove! I would and should hope motivation for this years team is a non-issue! But, you can't not be too careful to avoid complacency! And, that's all that was about. Those guys know if you are not putting out you won't sniff that football field; so better bring it. Heck, CU had a 5 star prospect redshirt last year ( Lamar). Which is not at all the norm! Motivating these players won't be a problem with this staff; I don't believe!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BV is awesome. Building his legend status.***

Mar 17, 2017, 6:39 PM

How often do you see a pic of Venables when coaching

Mar 17, 2017, 7:11 PM

whether at practice, or, from a game, that he doesn't look like an animal about to explode? It's seemingly ALL the time.

I hope he's here at Clemson for a LONG time.

On a related note, I hated to see Dan Brooks retire and Hobby move on to the Jags, but I have a very good feeling that Todd Bates is going to prove to be a GREAT hire from both a coaching and recruiting perspective.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic