Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Darn confetti
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Darn confetti

Jan 10, 2017, 11:02 AM

Trying to finish up press conferences and pack and get back home, but a few quick thoughts:
Nikki was down on the field, on the sidelines, when her school won the National Championship. It was the first of her lifetime, and when I finally made my way to the grass she saw me and she was balling. I gotta admit, seeing her so emotional - well, let's just say the confetti got in my eyes and caused an irritation.

As I wandered around this incredible celebration, I kept running into the guys who made this kind of moment possible. Brentson A. Buckner was almost in tears, and said, "I can't believe I just saw Clemson win the National Championship." Seeing that big warrior that emotional - well, confetti again.

Then I saw Brandon Thompson and Jacoby Ford and Andre Branch, and I made sure they knew I thought they were just as responsible for that celebration as anyone else. Those guys laid the foundation.

And then there was my buddy, former Clemson player Henry Guess, who is without a doubt one of the world's nicest people. I saw Henry doing a little jig and waving a National Championship towel, and well, confetti.

As a sportswriter, I am supposed to keep out of the fray, to catalog and appraise and keep an even temperament. But it's hard - in many ways, I work with these people, work with these players, and to see them finally let loose in all that joy. Well, confetti.

I told people before the game that I didn't have a doubt Clemson would win the game, and that I would see them in the confetti. I was right because what you saw was a team that loved each other, had an incredible will to win and left everything out there on that field.

And then I saw Christie Clary leaning over the railing. That is Jay Guillermo's mom, and I don't think people realize what these parents go through with their kids. To see her so emotional, knowing her son won a title on the last snap of his Clemson career....well, confetti.

I finally ran back into Nikki Hood, and she was still very emotional, and we headed into the locker room area. There were ran into Kathleen Swinney, who gave us both hugs and cried, and well, confetti. Once we finished writing, we got on the elevator to head out of the stadium and we were on there with Yahoo writer Pat Forde. He looked at us, smiled, and said, "I imagine this is quite a night for you guys."

You have no idea, Pat. No idea. And those aren't tears. It's that darn confetti

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice job.. happy for all. Maybe next year wear tinted ski goggles.***

Jan 10, 2017, 11:07 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

there was confetti in my living room early this morning too.

Jan 10, 2017, 11:07 AM

Thanks David.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I confetti'ed a bit too!! Thanks David!!

Jan 10, 2017, 11:11 AM

You are awesome and Clemson nations loves and appreciates you!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Darn confetti

Jan 10, 2017, 11:12 AM

There was a lot of confetti by a lot of Clemson fans!

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

there was confetti in my living room last night.***

Jan 10, 2017, 11:15 AM

Jan 10, 2017, 11:19 AM

Cheers to you & yours Hood! You've done a great job all year long covering our beloved Tigers and we appreciate you more than you know! You've become that easily-recognizable voice behind the shot, the unmistakable TigerNet ambassador. Thanks again for your unwavering dedication and thorough coverage!

same here brother***

Jan 10, 2017, 11:31 AM

That crap flew through the TV as well. Darn high definition!***

Jan 10, 2017, 11:33 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

David, Ken Jackson here (we met in Orlando in front of.....

Jan 11, 2017, 9:54 AM

the Hyatt when we beat VT for the ACC title). I wanted to personally thank you for your insightful, humorous articles over the past few years and, of course, for making each week of football during the season worth living with your chart topping "Pigskin Prophet"! Your are truly a Tiger through and through!

I stood there in the stands Monday night not too far from where we scored the winning TD, with my family.....we all hugged and screamed and were plain delirious for 45 minutes, soaking up the moment, a moment I last experienced 35 years ago in the old Orange Bowl in Little Havana. I told my kids we better win it tonight because if we have to wait another 35 years, I will be 97, living in a nursing home, sitting in a wheelchair, slobbering all over myself and not knowing whether the Tigers or Disney is on TV! Thankfully, I now don't have to worry about that happening!

Re: David, Ken Jackson here (we met in Orlando in front of.....

Jan 11, 2017, 10:52 PM

I hope that I see us playing for a championship when I'm 97, that will mean that I have lived for another 33 years. What a bonus that will be!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WAIT Are you saying that

Jan 11, 2017, 11:19 PM [ in reply to David, Ken Jackson here (we met in Orlando in front of..... ]

David Hood is the Pigskin Prophet?????

Jan 11, 2017, 10:44 PM

David there wasn't any confetti in my house, not a piece, but my wife had black pepper and diced onions through out the house. Every place I went to try and get the pepper and the vapor of those onions out my face, I learned that my wife had sifted the pepper and diced those onions all through the house. I couldn't talk to or look anyone in the face without onion vapors and black pepper filling my eyes till it had me looking like I was crying. My wife gave me a big hug and said, baby I'm so happy for you that your team won the National Championship, then she said you can cry all you want to. I laughed and said I'm not crying, it's the pepper and onions, and I was busted bc she said, what pepper and onions, I think that is a happy heart, and I had to admit that it could be!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 11, 2017, 10:47 PM

Wonder what they did with the crimson confetti?

Jan 11, 2017, 10:54 PM

Thanks for posting the story. Particularly enjoyed seeing your comments about the former players at the game along with your all your coverage of the Tigers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Jan 11, 2017, 11:07 PM

I, too, got confetti in my eyes after the game. I was in my recliner and it just kept coming. I should never have had that Edward Scissorshands over for supper. Shredded all my newspapers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The person that TD'd this post needs to be banned***

Jan 12, 2017, 12:30 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Re: The person that TD'd this post needs to be banned***

Jan 12, 2017, 9:30 AM

Must have been a coot or Bama fan.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Dittos......on everything everyone here has expressed! I

Jan 12, 2017, 12:33 AM

think we are all just so happy for a bunch of young men who worked like dogs and fought like crazy to bring that Championship Trophy home! David's articles throughout the year were so informative, yet so personal that we felt like we were part of the team. That is the mark of someone who loves their job and it was reflected in everything he wrote......same is true for Nikki. Cudos to two people that are champions in my eyes too!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 12, 2017, 12:40 AM

Well done, just well done.

Tigers 2017 National Champs and all the confetti, for many

Jan 12, 2017, 9:32 AM

Thanks for sharing this experience with us. We do appreciate your efforts, as well as the efforts of your peers at Tigernet.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic