Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Virginia Tech Scouting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Virginia Tech Scouting

Nov 29, 2016, 2:38 PM

Ok folks. It's that time of the week again! I was pretty darn close yet again last week (I'm on an interesting roll, I said 49-13, it was 56-7, a week after saying 44-13 and it was 35-13). Without further ado, let's get to it!

Keys

1) Score at least 13 Points in the red zone

-VT’s 3 losses were to Tenn/Syracuse/GT. How many points in the red zone did each team score? 31/14/13. Tenn 5/5 chances, Syracuse 2/3 chances, and GT 3/3 chances scored on. All 3 of these games were VT losses by double digits.

2) Take care of the football/force turnovers

-Bringing this back this week. Why? VT’s 3 losses this year (again) to Tenn/Syra/GT. How many turnovers in each of those? 5/2/4 respectively. In the ND game, Evans had a LOT of problems with securing the ball from the center AND issues with the zone read. You know how you make the problem worse? Pressure on the QB, and by attacking the mesh point on the zone read plays.

3) 500+ yards of Offense (not necessarily Balanced in the traditional definition)

-It’ll be interesting to see if they play us the same way they did a lot of teams this season. If they do, Deshaun is going to throw it all over the yard. Foster loves man to man coverage in the secondary, bringing the safeties closer to the line of scrimmage to help support stopping the run, and calling Cover Zero on 3rd downs (lot of that in the Notre Dame game)(Dabo even mentioned this during the press conference today, he didn’t say it for no reason). If they run this scheme, we will score 60 points in this game EASILY. Why? Because once Deshaun torches them, they’ll play more zone, which opens the running game up for Gallman. That’s when we’ve got em with offensive balance. VT has only given up 4 passing TDs in the red zone but 14 RUSHING TDs in the REDZONE as well, so if they play 8/9 in the box, expect to see some jet sweeps and HB counters in the red zone. Remember, Balance is important because you want the defense to not know what play is coming next, so balance doesn’t always mean a 50/50 play call split. Balance for us means off balance for them.

4) Do NOT let them cross the 31-yard line

-Why the 31-yard line? They have not made a FG from beyond the 30-yard line all season. Also, they are averaging 35 points a game, but 24 of those 35 points per game are scored IN THE RED ZONE. Keep them out of the red zone, and keep them out of FG range, make them have to make 48+ yard FGs.

5) Experiment with kicking off SHORT of the end zone

-This ties into the last point. 24/35 points per game are in the red zone, so the longer the field the less chance they have in scoring. Why give them the ball at the 25 yard line with a TB on the kickoff when they only average 20 yards a return on kick offs with 0 TDs on the season with a long of 40? Push them as far back as we can.

6) They are not good away from Blacksburg

-3 of their games away from Blacksburg were 3 point wins. 2 games they lost by double digits (the GT game not included because it was at home). Started VERY slow against Notre Dame. If they start slow against us, they will be down 28-0 before they can blink. The only dominating performance away from Blacksburg was the game @ UNC in the hurricane where the field conditions eliminated a lot of the passing games (and UNC still cannot stop the run, even on a bye week, that’s how bad they are at playing run defense).

7) 3rd downs

-Another thing to note: 3rd down Conversions. We don’t need big plays consistently to win this game, just continue to move the chains. If the big plays present themselves, great, but Elliott needs to do more of what we did against SC and focus on moving the chains. 41 First downs against SC, and we average 26 a game. 0/1 turnover and 25+ first downs = a comfortable 21+ point win.

PREDICTION

1st Quarter

-VT will try to establish the run by attacking the edges and try to find ways to slow down our defensive line. HB Counter, QB Runs (empty sets with QB runs up the middle), Screens, and Jet Sweeps, because they will try to use some of what Pitt did to us (#45 is a good FB that they use in a variety of ways and is not easy to bring down, look out for the shovel option here) to avoid the interior of our D-line. I expect to see them have some success but as they have done in games against other bowl teams, they will stall just across mid field and be forced to punt. They will have one possession in the red zone that will end up as a made FG under 40 yards (Hodges will have the height advantage on our secondary but Jadar will knock the ball away on 3rd down). We will almost counter with a similar plan on offense to combat the 8/9 in the box. I have no doubt that Foster will do his absolute best to stop our run game, and will be very aggressive to do so first (you remember me saying earlier, and Dabo in his press conference mention, Cover Zero? Get used to it early and often). Mike Williams, Deon Cain, Hunter Renfrow, Artavis Scott. All will have at least a catch in the 1st quarter. Williams will score in the 1st quarter. Artavis will as well.

14-3 end of 1st Quarter

2nd Quarter

-VT will hit on a big play early in the quarter that will force our box to be reduced from 8/9 – 6/7 to support the secondary. They will see this and attempt to run the ball (again, don’t be surprised by Empty Sets with the QB run, similar to when Tajh was here). No such luck, because Wilkins, Lawrence, Watkins, and Ferrell/Bryant are going to own the line of scrimmage as well. They will march into the red zone 2 times this quarter, but will be forced to kick a FG and will get one TD on a QB run. Again, the FG will be from less than 40 yards. VT will also have to drop numbers from the box to help support their secondary that got burned in the 1st quarter by our receivers. This is when Gallman and Fuller (with some Deshaun runs mixed in) will start moving the ball, and our offensive line will start moving people. Gallman and Deshaun will both have rushing TDs in the red zone, and we will also settle for a FG at the end of the 1st half during the 2-minute drill.

31-13 at the half

3rd Quarter

-This is where Foster shows why he has been a DC for 20+ years. He will shift his defense into what I would do if I were game planning against us. I expect to see him sell Cover Zero and right before the snap drop a LB into the passing lane on a slant route that Deshaun will not see and will result in an interception. Deshaun’s weakness in reading coverages is at the linebacker level, not the Safeties. A general rule of thumb pre-snap is 1) count the numbers in the box and make sure your protection matches it and 2) Count the safeties. 2 safeties = run play advantage, 1 safety back (with another closer to the LOS) = pass play advantage (one on one coverage) (NOTE= THIS IS NOT always accurate, but is a good place to start). Foster knows this and will make adjustments to affect the “conventional” logic. Expect a bit of a stalemate this quarter as neither team will gain the advantage. Both teams kick FGs after staling out in the red zone. (Considering they have scored 127 points in the 3rd quarter this year, this is a huge win by keeping them to just 3 points in this quarter)

34-16 End of 3rd quarter

4th Quarter

-Elliott and Scott finally adjust to what Foster has switched to defensively. One tendency our team has is to more often than not (especially later in games) is run to the strong side of the field (typically where Williams or Leggett go in motion). Expect to see some runs and pass play calls to the weak side of the field to counter this. I think we score early in the quarter and then go into running the ball to kill the clock and get out with a win. Being up 41-16 will force VT to go empty set and throw the ball with very little QB run game mixed in due to the reduce time. They will go on a mid-quarter drive, get into the red zone, but turn the ball over, and that will be the last time they get the ball. We will hold the ball for at least 4 minutes on our last drive of the 4th quarter to effectively end the game.

Final Score – Clemson 41 Virginia Tech 16

9-3 Overall (6-2 Conference)

Wins against Liberty (36-13), Boston College (49-0), East Carolina (54-17), @ UNC (34-3), Miami (37-16), @ Pitt (39-36), @ Duke (24-21), @ Notre Dame (34-31), Virginia (52-10)

Losses against Tennessee (24-45 @ Bristol Motor Speedway), @ Syracuse (17-31), Georgia Tech (20-30)

Offense (per game)

Scoring

35 points
24 Red zone points (yes, per game average)
51 Touchdowns (season)

1st Downs

Total Offense
452.9 yards

Plays
78.16 plays

Rushing
191.8 Yards
4.1 Per attempt
46.58 Rushes
1.67 TDs

Passing
261.1 Yards
8.3 yards Per attempt
31.58 Attempts
2.33 TDs

Turnovers (giveaways)
20 Fumbles (8 lost)
5 Interceptions

3rd Downs
76/182 (season)
42%

Penalties
4.92/43 yards per game

Sacks given up
24 sacks

Red Zone
52/60 chances
34 TDs (57%)
18 FGs (30%)

Defense (per game)

Scoring
21.1 points

1st Downs
16.33 first downs

Total Defense
332.2 yards

Rushing
145.8 Yards
3.9 Per attempt
37.41 Rushes
1.5 TDs

Passing
186.4 Yards
6.1 yards Per attempt
30.5 pass Attempts
1.08 TDs

Turnovers (takeaways)
29 Fumbles (17 recovered)
Moutapuaka returned one 70 yards for a TD
12 Interceptions
Terrell Edmunds (3)
Greg Stroman (3)
Mook Reynolds (2)
Andrew Motuapuaka (2)
Adonis Alexander (2)

3rd Downs
48/179 (season)
27%

Penalties
7.83/57.5 yards

Sacks
26 (season)
Tremaine Edmunds (4.5) (17 TFLs)
Woody Baron (4.5) (17.5 TFLs)
Ken Ekanem (6.5) (8.5 TFLs)
12 TFL per game

Red Zone (season)
26/33 chances
18 TDs (55%)
14 given up Rushing
4 passing
8 FGs (24%)

Special Teams (season)

FGs
20/26
12/12 20-29 yards
7/8 30-39 yards
1/5 40-49 yards
0/1 50+
Long of 47 yards
1 blocked

Punts
58 kicks, 2 TBs, 38.1 yard average

Kickoffs
81 kicks, 62 TBs
Given up 1 TD return

Return

Punts
41 returns, 1 TD, Avg. 8.2 yards (long of 87)
Kickoff
35 returns, 0 TDs, Avg. 21.6 yards (long of 40)

Misc

Scoring by Quarter
1st 81-39
2nd 127-92
3rd 127-52
4th 85-70
Tennessee rushed for 239 yards, GT 309 yards
Syracuse threw for 405 yards (55% completions)
5 Turnovers against Tennessee, 2 against Syracuse, 4 against GT

Specific Game Notes

@ Notre Dame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cWeFzF-N2I

Sloppy ball handling in the 1st quarter (both teams)
Zone read was rough on Evans, when he tried to pull the ball at the last second is when they had issues, attack the mesh point is what we need to do
Evans does not always secure the ball well enough on the snap
Had an INT called back due to a penalty (after picking off a ND pass)
ND Killed them by running up the middle, hitting crossing routes, and throwing in the flats IN THE FIRST QUARTER
VT was down 17-0 early in the 2nd quarter
Refs screwed them on a couple of calls early (guess the ref was? Yes you know who)
Notre Dame’s offensive live did a good job blocking VT’s D line in the 1st half
VT played a lot of man to man coverage so they could use the safeties to help in run support (if they do that against us we will blow them out, you don’t leave 1 on 1 coverage on our receiving corps)
Empty set with a pump fake and throw to the middle of the field killed ND in the 3rd quarter
Evans tends to lock in on his primary receiver more often than not

@ Syracuse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6KWYncM07U

VT played off the receivers a LOT (averaged about 7 yards off the line of scrimmage since Syracuse is an uptempo pass offense) on 1st and 2nd downs
3rd downs they played at the LOS and had more in the box
VT’s safeties got caught looking in the backfield and were burned a few times for it.
VT started to pick it back up after being down 14-3 and stopping Syracuse on 4th and Goal at the 1 yard line, but turnovers (ball security) prevented them from maintaining any momentum.
VT had a lot of 3rd down and longs in this game (and ½ way through 2nd quarter were 2/8 on 3rd downs).

References
http://www.hokiesports.com/football/stats/2016/

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

accomplish #2 and #7 and we win.***

Nov 29, 2016, 2:44 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly and.....

Nov 29, 2016, 2:47 PM

I tried to format this weeks post to make it easier to read, so hopefully it is.

Re: Virginia Tech Scouting

Nov 29, 2016, 2:58 PM

Excellent job with all these!!
Thanks!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2016, 3:00 PM

First of all, Thanks. Lengthy but awesome because I love digging into the stats too. 2. Have you done this for every game this year?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Since the Louisville game....

Nov 29, 2016, 3:05 PM

Tweaked it a little each week since and have it better tailored I think now.

Nov 29, 2016, 3:11 PM

Very detailed and interesting as usual. Thanks for doing these. The Coots may be looking for a head coach next year; they need to give you an interview.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2016, 3:11 PM

You mentioned the ND game several times, and sloppy ball handling... maybe need an * there since the temp was in the 20 degree range, and spitting snow. Pretty much the opposite of what these teams we'll see in Orlando.

IMO the big factors in this game are: VT has to protect the ball... cannot afford to turn it over. And, VT has to keep Watson from taking over the game, especially via his legs and keeping plays alive.

VT has enough play makers on offense to stay in this game, and win it.. provided they hold on to the ball.

I can appreciate your optimism and faith in your team,

Nov 29, 2016, 3:16 PM

but I don't think stopping DW running is the key. If our receivers can get even just the slightest bit of separation, it could be a long night. We are capable of moving the ball on the ground or through the air, and even at a 75% - 25% split either way depending on how Foster plays it.

I would say good luck, but it would be a hollow gesture. I just hope you're not TOO disappointed.

Actually, I hope you are! ;)

Nov 29, 2016, 3:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Virginia Tech Scouting ]

Our games against Wake Forest and SC were both in the 20s with the wind chill. Cold weather should be an advantage for y'all but its' not.

DW doesn't have to run. Y'all don't have a single member on the defense that can defend Mike Williams, and if you double him you just left the best WR corps in the country in one on one with lesser defenders.

You should take a look at all of these I have posted this year. I've been spot on the entire season I've done these.

Nov 29, 2016, 3:29 PM

Good read. Thanks for putting these together.

Wednesday bump***

Nov 30, 2016, 9:46 AM

+1 for tl;dr

Nov 30, 2016, 10:15 AM

It looks impressive, though. Good work?

Thanks for the info. Hope you're right.***

Nov 30, 2016, 10:18 AM

Thursday Bump***

Dec 1, 2016, 8:44 AM

Dec 1, 2016, 2:46 PM

Great work as always! I thoroughly enjoy reading your scouting reports.

Sep 19, 2022, 3:10 PM

Did you send this to the coaches? Dayyyuuum.

Dec 1, 2016, 3:33 PM

The fumble stat is backwards. We've had 29 fumbles, losing 17. Our opponents have had 20 fumbles, losing 8. We lost 9 fumbles in the first two games including 5 to Tennessee plus we fumbled 7 times (losing 2) in the hurricane conditions versus Unc.

I'll have to fix that

Dec 1, 2016, 6:43 PM

thanks for noticing that. I goofed pulling the data.

Re: I'll have to fix that

Dec 2, 2016, 10:47 AM

No worries. It's a lot data and to be honest, I had to go back and make sure I was correct.

I do somewhat agree with one of your other comments that VT is a year away. IMO, I think we're a couple of years away from being in a position to legitimately challenge for the ACCC. No disrespect to our current team because they earned this game tomorrow night....but we really need to add some talent and depth. On defense, our LB play is extremely shaky at times, especially at the Mike. We need some big uglies to step up over the next few years to get the running game going which hasn't been great (sans Evans rushing totals). But I really like our direction under Fuente.

Re: I'll have to fix that

Dec 2, 2016, 11:01 PM

He's got y'all in the right direction, without question. I'd just caution about running Evans as much. I know #45 (sorry can't remember his name off the top of my head) is a beast for y'all in a variety of ways, but having a good RB would help take some of that pressure off the QB.

Dec 1, 2016, 5:03 PM

Really good, detailed account of the Hokies. Much better than I usually read on opponent's boards, and obviously one that you spent some time on.

A couple of things. One, you glossed over Clemson's turnovers, mainly Watson propensity for trying to force the ball in the red zone at times. Now I'm not knocking Watson. The kid is a Heisman finalist and IMO should be the front runner this year, but still, 14 picks is a lot, more than one a game. Going against the defense that has sacked more quarterbacks and picked off more passes than any other program over the last 30 years would worry me a bit. I use 30 years because that marks the arrival of Foster, and the match up between him and Venables makes this game worth the price of admission all on its own.

Mike Williams is going to get his. Much like Hodges for VT, at his size, he is almost impossible to stop. Yu hope to contain him somewhat, and one of VT's goals is limiting YAC. Make no mistakes, and get the receiver to the ground.

I think VT has a slight advantage on defense against Clemson's interior line, and that could paly a large part in containing Gallman, who I personally is the lynchpin. If Gallman gets off, it gets ugly for the Hokies. Clemson has so much talent everywhere that you aren't going to stop them, but if you can neutralize at least a portion of that talent, you got a puncher's chance, and that is what I believe VT has in this game, a puncher's chance.

Clemson is more talented and deeper. VT has to play smart assignment football, contain Watson and make him beat a very good defensive backfield that gets a starting corner back for this game in Stroman who has missed the last three games. One thing VT has not changed is that their defense is a ball hawking defense. Bud tweaks things, but the philosophy never changes. he is going to attack the offense the same as Venables, and that is what makes this so intriguing.

It's going to take 30+ to win this one, IMO. What I have read is vastly underestimating VT on offense and the creativity that they have shown this year, and remember, this is a whole new system for the Hokies after 29 years of doing things the same way. The UT game was game #2. VT was still learning where to line up in this new offense.

Neither team is the same as September. To believe otherwise is just folly. Both are kind of hitting their stride, so I do expect a lot of scoring and in an ironic twist, a good deal of great defensive plays from both teams. That is just the kind of game I expect this to be.

Clemson should and probably will win this game, but VT isn't just happy to be here, I assure you.

I remember a team ranked #5 expecting to go out onto the field against the #21 team a few years back expecting to win, and they got their rear ends chapped because of it. Those two teams were Clemson and VT, and it started our two programs in vastly different directions. This is almost deja vu in reverse, and VT has now almost come full circle. Forgive me as a VT fan for believing again. If we lose this game, a temporary setback is what I will consider it. If VT wins, the circlel will be complete.

Dec 1, 2016, 6:43 PM

Thanks for reading it. Normally it's just the "you're wrong!" response from the opponent's fans. Couple quick notes

-Turnovers have been an issue all season, you'll notice if you look back at my 3rd quarter prediction I think that's where it will rear it's head.

-O-line was an issue for a good portion of the season, and while #51 Hearn hasn't improved as much as I would have liked, #63 being out and being replaced by #76 Pollard has been a huge improvement. It's no coincidence that when Fruhmorgen was out that our line played better. You'll likely see that trend continue this weekend.

-creativity at play calling is only going to happen if y'all are able to block our defensive line and avoid 3rd and long. Auburn couldn't, Louisville couldn't, FSU couldn't.

My biggest issue with VT is not their scheme, not their personnel (though they are not as competitively deep), but their struggles against bowl teams as well as the lack of consistency on the road. Clemson has played 10 going into this weekend and are 9-1, VT has played 7 and is 4-3 with 3 of those 4 wins by 3 points (Duke, Pitt, ND). The best win for VT this season is ..... ND? Not to mention we have beat 3 top 15 teams this season, 2 on the road.

I think VT will be formidable, but not this year. They have the pieces, just need another year.

Dec 2, 2016, 7:46 AM

Well, that;s the thing abut a lot of this new offense. It gets the ball out of Evan's hands quickly. These are in my estimation the two best starting receiver corps in the conference. Both of us have a minimum of at least 3 legitimate threats that can all burn you on a given play. I know Clemson is used to that, but Hokies aren't.

Fuente has been very creative at getting the ball to his playmakers in space, and Ford, Hodges, and Phillips are all just that. Like Watson, Evans might do his best work when the protection does break down and he starts freelancing. The quarterback battle in this one is going to be top notch.

That is one reason I believe both quarterbacks have a little time, at least early in this one as the teams feel each other out. Both DC's have to be so concerned about containing the quarterback that it will alter their rush lanes to accommodate that.

Like I said, I give VT a puncher's chance and nothing else. Experience and depth will be the difference in the end. I think Clemson's big game experience might be the biggest factor when all is said and done. Foster's defense, like Venables, wants to create doubt and get an offense on its heels. I just don't believe they will be able to do that with Clemson's offense even if they do make plays. Clemson has been there, done that already.

Dec 2, 2016, 8:41 AM

Very good points. I'll be curious to see how the defenses adjust to the short passing game, because if the interior of our line struggles, it's going to require an adjustment in play calling. If there was a true weakness on the o-line, you'd be looking at the left guard #51 Hearn and RT #63 Fruhmorgen. With #76 Pollard replacing Fruh while he's been out with an injury, you've probably seen more run plays to the right side of the line. Why? Our Center, Right Guard (Crowder, All-ACC 330lb who is very quick for his size), and RT (with Pollard in) are better overall because #51 Hearn is a liability (IMO).

Can VT beat us? Absolutely. Pitt beat us because our defense literally took 3 quarters to start playing (13 of the 17 completions were that dang shovel option) and as good as the offense was, our OCs didn't use Deshaun's legs when they needed to (near the goal line, 3rd and shorts, etc...). If I was y'all, I'd be overloading the left side (particularly at Hearn) and dropping a linemen or LBs into the quick passing lanes. I wouldn't use a single Cover Zero this game if I was Foster, because while y'all have some good players, not even Bama can defend an offense with Williams, Cain, Renfrow, and Leggett on the field at the same time. I'd have at least a safety at all times (unless it's maybe 3rd and long since you could run a zone d and keep the receivers in front) to help out.

I'll be curious to see how Evan's issues with fumbles turns out as well. As big as he is I'm surprised he's had issues with ball security.

Dec 2, 2016, 10:26 AM

I didn't get to watch the Pitt/Clemson game until the very end. It was on the same time the Hokies were playing ND, so well, you know.

But my thoughts on Pitt after looking at their season is there isn't a team out there that was going to stop Pitt on offense consistently. They scored 36 on VT in a loss, and over 40 on you guys. They scored over 35 in each of their losses if I am not mistaken. They are one of the more prolific offense not just in the ACC, but the country. Their problem is they had no pass defense whatsoever. Saying your defense didn't play for three quarters sells Pitt's offense a bit short, IMO. Looking at a larger picture of Pitt's season bears that out. No one kept them from scoring much all year. I believe Conner might end up being the best pro running back in the draft this year. He won't get drafted as such, but that kid is just a beast.

And you said you thought ND was out best win? Really? We beat UNC by 31 on the road and Pitt on the road as well, and you think ND was our best win? C'mon....

Dec 2, 2016, 10:50 AM

You need to go watch the Pitt tape them. Same 4 plays the entire game. And UNC is not a good win, I'll give you Pitt but Pitt's secondary is a joke (which is why everyone threw on them). It took the perfect storm for them to win on a last second field goal. UNC still can't stop the run. Y'all have played 2 ranked teams this season and are 1-1 in those games. 7 Bowl teams, 4-3 against those. Away from Blacksburg, y'alls defense has not played all that well. Losing at Syracuse is not a good look at all either. We'll see tomorrow night, but y'all will not be able to play man to man coverage tomorrow night, and it is going to show, big time.

Dec 2, 2016, 1:28 PM

Well, you know us Hokies.

In Bud we trust. And like I have said on here prior, the way I see it, while it would be a huge boost to the program to walk away tomorrow night with an ACC championship, if it doesn't happen, it is a minor setback on a journey that VT is well ahead of schedule on anyway. No one thought we would be here, and no one gives us a chance tomorrow night.

VT has traditionally been at their best in the scenario.

Good luck and here is to a clean, hard fought game with no injuries for either side. If Clemson does what everyone expects, I'll be back to congratulate you and wish you well in the CFP.

Dec 2, 2016, 9:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Virginia Tech Scouting ]

I'm quite sure that you are happy to have all the wins that you got. I understand saying UNC was a good win because you all won by a lot, but the weather played into the result of that win. Still a win is a win. Pitt has a heck of a offense so that win is definitely impressive. I would even like to throw in the win over Miami might have been y'alls best complete game. Miami finished 8-4 just like UNC and Pitt, and you all won decisively. But then again Pitt is your only win against a Top 25 team, and they just squeaked in this week.
I also want to point out that the only team you all have played with a heartbeat of a defense averaging less than 24pts. a game is Miami.
However, Pitt is the only offense you all played that is in the Top 25.

In the end though, you never know each team has to show up and play the game. I think the future is looking bright for VT. But hope the tigers win big!! Go Tigers!!

Dec 1, 2016, 6:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Virginia Tech Scouting ]

hope is good - and luck. vt needs to hope for luck

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Dec 2, 2016, 10:18 AM

Nah, look at the preseason rankings. VT was picked fourth in the Coastal. VT has been playing with house money since they beat Pitt, Miami, and UNC, the three teams picked ahead of them.

I'm a fan. I'd love nothing more than to see the Hokies reclaim the ACC title. That goes without saying. But I am also a realist and know that for them to do that, it would be a monumental upset. They don't happen often, but they do happen.

And there ain't nothing wrong with hope and luck. As the old saying goes, I'd rather be lucky than good any day.

Friday night bump***

Dec 2, 2016, 7:50 PM

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic