Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TRIVIA: Who remembers JIM LAMPLEY and his infamous story
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 3

TRIVIA: Who remembers JIM LAMPLEY and his infamous story

Nov 30, 2015, 2:48 PM

during the halftime of the Pitt vs Penn State game on national TV the day our 1981 team ascended to the #1 ranking??

Can we petition to get that smug jacka$$ back from his gig in "HBO Boxing Purgatory" long enough this Saturday for him to make a similar story on his beloved UNC Tar Heels and their unbelievable history-making cheating scandal?

If you don't remember it, or need a refresher on what went down ... here ya go. (click on the HTTP: links)

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1981/11/30/page/75/article/clemson-abcs-payoff-story-was-a-cheap-shot

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20111224/PC20/312249964

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Lampley

He graduated from the University of North Carolina in 1971 with a degree in English and finished coursework in 1974 for a Master in Mass Communications also at UNC but never wrote his thesis because his career took off.

On January 3, 2007, Lampley was arrested for domestic abuse against fiancée Candice Sanders, Miss California USA 2003, by the San Diego County Sheriff's Department.[8] A restraining order was obtained, but in February 2007, he was charged with violating the restraining order by being within 100 yards of her apartment; Lampley pleaded no contest and was sentenced to three years' probation, a fine, a domestic violence counseling program and 40 hours' community service.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TRIVIA: Who remembers JIM LAMPLEY and his infamous story

Nov 30, 2015, 3:04 PM

I remember well . It really gaulded my #### .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2015, 3:10 PM

He is a putz!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2015, 3:10 PM

Wonder if the story on UNC, and their academic fraud, will be aired just prior to the ACCCG. Hopefully, Lampley will host. d@mn tarhole.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Re: Who remembers JIM LAMPLEY and his infamous story

Nov 30, 2015, 3:13 PM

I remember the times very well and what I remember isn't the memory of a teenager following the instate school I was forty years old when this happened and had followed my Tigers closely for more than twenty years. I don't have the words to express my dislike of Lampley. Him being a UNC graduate only made it worse. He later proved to be a real scum bag but Clemson folks knew it long before the public. At that time, I knew some of the coaches and their stories were much different than those told by the press. The most terrible part of all this is the reaction from the ACC. When I compare the Tigers wrong doings to those of UNC in recent times it makes me sick. I wish someone at Clemson had the gonads to call Swofford and the powers that be to the table on their scandalous behavior. No way should the heels be allowed to play for a championship of ANY kind.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Us old farts know how to hold a grudge!!***

Nov 30, 2015, 3:18 PM

Didn't remember Feinstein was the reporter

Nov 30, 2015, 3:16 PM

who uncovered the story.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

which parts were false?

Nov 30, 2015, 3:32 PM

or you holding a 34-year grudge against a reporter for telling the truth?

no hate for Feinstein?

NONE of it was FALSE! So, I want EQUAL TIME ...

Nov 30, 2015, 3:52 PM

... and yes, I hold a 34 year old grudge for the timing of the report and especially for the attitude of UNC and the rest of the ACC at the time and the severity of the penalties.

I think the penalties should be at least tripled for UNC ... and I'd like JIM LAMPLEY to talk about it at half time this coming Saturday.

And I don't give a rats a$$ about Feinstein ... it's the UNC connection that pi$$es me off.

Lampley, the UNC grad totally savored his "assignment" to "get to the bottom of this" tragic story. And the UNC led ACC cabal were responsible for piling on. That was their choice then ...

... But now, I'd like for Mr. Lampley to come back (very briefly) and give at least EQUAL TIME to this current ASTOUNDING story of MASSIVE decades-long academic FRAUD! A tale that completely dwarfs the penny-ante issues with Clemson and their free hats & shoes and "$25 Handshakes" to recruits.

Yes ... I hold a 34 year old grudge.

gave you a T.U. for honesty

Nov 30, 2015, 4:05 PM

at least you admit that you hold a 34-year grudge :)

i haven't heard much mention of the scandal this football season.. maybe 3-4 times during UNC games.

last basketball season, it was mentioned nearly every game.. sometimes at length, sometimes in passing or when talking about recruiting

since it's in NCAA limbo right now - waiting for the NCAA response to the latest self-reported violations by UNC, it's fallen off the media radar a bit

Next year it will be a 35 year old grudge.

Nov 30, 2015, 4:09 PM

... and so on.

trying to think what my longest sports grudge is...

Nov 30, 2015, 4:17 PM

probably against Spurrier for bringing his Dook team out of the locker room in 1989 to pose under the scoreboard in Kenan Stadium

26 years :)

{but i don't know if that should count, Spurrier is almost too easy to hate}

There's no proof that UNC led the charge for the extra year.

Nov 30, 2015, 4:19 PM [ in reply to NONE of it was FALSE! So, I want EQUAL TIME ... ]

Right?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

according to D. Hood, there's no real evidence

Nov 30, 2015, 4:22 PM

linking Swofford to the extra year, much less 'proof'

http://www.tigernet.com/story/football/What-happened-Swofford-extra-year-10615&nextbox=1

even Danny Ford calls it an urban legend

Well then WHO led the charge? It DIDN'T just appear out of

Nov 30, 2015, 4:29 PM [ in reply to There's no proof that UNC led the charge for the extra year. ]

thin air.

Someone had to conceive of it and someone had to lead it.

It took a lot of consensus building because it was NOT unanimous.

Who built that consensus??

And why?

Finally ... WHERE is that determined effort at CONSENSUS now regarding UNC??

Re: which parts were false?

Nov 30, 2015, 3:58 PM [ in reply to which parts were false? ]

Tarheeled:

So who will you be pulling for on Saturday?

knew someone was gonna ask me that

Nov 30, 2015, 4:13 PM

forgive me if i fall back on cliche

i really just want to see a well-played game - no stupid mistakes, no bad/key injuries, no referee stupidity, and good sportsmanship...

the Tigers are the better team and i'd hate to see the Heels end their phenomenal season...

you can accuse me of bandwagon-ing... but if i thought the Heels had a legitimate shot at the playoffs (or any business playing in the final four) i'd probably pull for them

when it comes down to it, i want the Tigers win it all...

Re: knew someone was gonna ask me that

Nov 30, 2015, 4:19 PM

If you have to explain your answer...we can pretty much guess the answer.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 3
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic