Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Oculus-A History (long,lots of pics,and a little funny)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

The Oculus-A History (long,lots of pics,and a little funny)

Aug 24, 2015, 12:57 PM

Back in the late 90’s Clemson finally began to listen to the cries of the fans and supporters that out beloved Death Valley needed some help on its dated west stands.

photo west stands original.jpg

Our program was in a down period and after getting a new coach, Tommy Bowden, and a 9-3 year in 2000, there was a buzz around Clemson and the urge to continue moving the forward. There was only one way to do it…OCULUS.

The early ideas of the West End Zone project began, and yes, even that early, the Oculus was pictured, in likely its earliest form. Check out this early rendering, titled the “Final West Endzone Plan” that most haven’t seen or may not recall from late June, 2001.

photo west-endzone-md.jpg

Fortunately for Clemson fans everywhere, that was not our final decision, but just a first concept. Later we learned that the project would take on 3 phases before completion, and the mighty Oculus wouldn’t be added until the latest of those phases. :(

However, in every future rendering, the oculus remained, a sign that we all took in good faith from our AD & administration that they would deliver on the promise of the towering giant that would strike fear into the heart of our opponents, and commitment in to the heart of our recruits.

Here’s a couple of the last renderings before the first construction began. These look a little more like what we have been used to for many years.

photo 3274_885_westzone2 1.jpg

photo westzone.jpg

And here’s the completed project that began construction in 2004, with just a pointy stick at the top…no oculus yet. :(

photo 6307945320_5927773cb5_b.jpg

photo WZ_from_inside_1.jpg

The project then began the long wander through the wilderness with not a peep from administration as to the whereabouts of our shrine. But the spirit of Clemson would not be held down, and similar to our upheaval in the late 90’s…we fired a coach again…because dang it, WE WANT OCULUS!

Dabo, our newest visionary, green and wet behind the ears, implemented "practical" things first (insert grumbling here), like a phase two completion in 2009 that brought football offices and team meeting rooms from McFadden and implemented a dedicated training and strength conditioning facility. But still…no oculus. :(

photo 9454959208_d4dd102a4c_b.jpg

photo FWUUBQUTNNGTGYR.20120721102426.jpeg

FINE…that’s how you wanna play…we’ll get rid of an AD and some BOT members too! OCULUS, OCULUS, OCULUS!!!

We then found the Radacovich, and like the oculus messiah he then said unto the people:

”Do not be discouraged, for I will spendeth the money of Clemson supporters and state tax payers the land over. There will be football and basketball and baseball facilities. There will be new facilities for all sports and even places for academia (IMAGINE THAT!). But most importantly my people, THERE.WILL.BE.OCULUS.”

photo ClemsonWestEndZonePhaseIII001.jpg

photo JIBXSDBOEPSZCFV.20131028115231.jpg

The new images were given life, and phase three reached its final form on paper. What a beautiful sight for Tiger Fans everywhere.

photo ClemsonWestEndZonePhaseIIINightRendering.jpg

True to his word, a construction arose like not seen since the days of Thomas Green Clemson himself. Capital projects and expenditures were approved at at such rapidity that one would think Jacoby Ford & CJ Spiller were signing the checks. And then…there was…OCULUS!

photo construction_081815_650.jpg

Behold my Clemson brothers, just moments before completion…the mighty Oculus, in all it’s glory. Cast aside the doubters and naysayers. Scorn them if necessary. The Oculus will reward your faith. Fear it, respect it and love it. It is here! :)

NOW SPOT THE DANG BALL...I'M READY!!! GO TIGERS!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I still say adding that Hooters in the southwest corner...

Aug 24, 2015, 1:11 PM

was an excellent idea

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: I still say adding that Hooters in the southwest corner...

Aug 24, 2015, 1:18 PM

There will be plenty of hooters there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I still say adding that Hooters in the southwest corner...

Aug 25, 2015, 12:40 PM

That would be ideal for the new Letterwinners club!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Oculus-A History (long,lots of pics,and a little funny)

Aug 24, 2015, 1:35 PM

;)

Re: The Oculus-A History (long,lots of pics,and a little funny)

Aug 24, 2015, 1:37 PM

Thank you, Sir.

Is it okay if I call you Sir, or do you prefer The Great And Powerful Oculus?

There was one other rendering that showed two giant

Aug 24, 2015, 1:39 PM

Tigers flanking either side of the West Zone. Anyone have that one. It was like late 90's conceptual artwork.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There was one other rendering that showed two giant

Aug 24, 2015, 1:40 PM

I remember it but couldn't find it. Would also love to see if someone turns it up.

Aug 24, 2015, 1:49 PM

The tigers are shown in the third picture. At least, that's the one that I was picturing. Maybe there's another one that I haven't seen... If so, I'd like to see it as well!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 24, 2015, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Re: There was one other rendering that showed two giant ]
oculus2.jpg(521.3 K)

:)

The Tigers are shown on the third picture***

Aug 24, 2015, 2:42 PM [ in reply to Re: There was one other rendering that showed two giant ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

POTD

Aug 24, 2015, 2:00 PM

Only thing missing from The Oculus is a projected Tiger Paw into the great skies - like the Bat Signal

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

The Oculus reminds me of a grain silo

Aug 24, 2015, 2:54 PM

An awesome grain silo.

Re: The Oculus reminds me of a grain silo

Aug 24, 2015, 3:42 PM

T.C. Gray loved everything Clemson, he would have loved the fact it favors a silo( I don't think it does). He went to our church and as a Kid I helped him by working on his farm. If he was still living he would have paid for it. I just remember the dedication he had to promote Clemson University, his love for Clemson was so contagious. I wish he would have lived to see Clemson now and he would have loved to see the growth in everything Clemson.

I love the Oculus and I can't wait to see a Gameday night game. Clemson will be a beautiful sight for all to see!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Congratulations, my Friend....You have created a

Aug 24, 2015, 5:15 PM

masterly work of art to go along with our Oculus.

For this you are named the TigerNet Professor Of Oculus History...POOH, for short. But well-deserved, nevertheless. My compliments.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Many thanks Sir...I have updated my marking accordingly.***

Aug 24, 2015, 5:26 PM

So why the change from paw in the top opening to a

Aug 24, 2015, 6:11 PM

smaller paw on the side? Not enough donations to the Oculus Fund?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic