Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How are the Davis twins progressing?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

How are the Davis twins progressing?

Aug 21, 2015, 5:32 PM

I ve seen their names a few times lately due to attrition

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

do we really want to go down this path?

Aug 21, 2015, 5:38 PM

Let's put it this way, BV should have more input on offer decisions for defensive players, particularly at his position.

Re: How are the Davis twins progressing?

Aug 21, 2015, 6:15 PM

They should have never been offered and I don't expect them to be on the team very long.

Aug 21, 2015, 6:29 PM

Maybe we should not worry, I would think they could participate on special teams.

Go Tigers!

Aug 21, 2015, 6:41 PM

They've been...less than impressive. Really struggling because they're simply not athletic enough right now. Slow feet.

Re: How are the Davis twins progressing? So they dont

Aug 21, 2015, 7:28 PM

have athletes feet?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2015, 9:33 PM [ in reply to Re: How are the Davis twins progressing? ]

How the eff do you know?

About what 2 guys that were gonna RS this year no matter

Aug 21, 2015, 7:02 PM

what. People need to relax a little, these 2 were never gonna contribute until years 3,4 & 5 on campus.

Re: I hope that they are not Vince Robinsons.***

Aug 21, 2015, 7:07 PM

Re: About what 2 guys that were gonna RS this year no matter

Aug 21, 2015, 7:08 PM [ in reply to About what 2 guys that were gonna RS this year no matter ]

Look at are lb depth and ask yourself man wouldn't you like to have recruited 2 real lb with those scholarships.

Look at the linebacker depth and go

Aug 21, 2015, 7:17 PM

Man, don't you wish Korie Roger didn't quit, Kellen Jones didn't go to Wisconsin and Chris Register didn't get too big to play line backer. Hell, you could ##### and moan about several older guys who came in with big reputations and have yet to do anything. Boy, it sure would have been nice if we recruited some guys other than those guys. I'll withhold judgement on 2 players that have yet had an opportunity to run down the hill for a real game.

Message was edited by: drewtigeralum03®

Message was edited by: drewtigeralum03®

Aug 21, 2015, 7:16 PM [ in reply to About what 2 guys that were gonna RS this year no matter ]

They're likely never going to contribute, unfortunately. At least on the field.

They just aren't FCS athletes, much less guys you'd normally see at a power program like Clemson.

I know, I know...Dabo's the coach and his scholarships are his to use how he wants, and he's free to invest all he feels necessary in "legacy" guys like Greenlee, the Davis boys, Amir Trapp, etc., if he feels it promotes a culture he's trying to build...and again, Dabo will be judged, ultimately, on his win-loss record. This one still makes you wince a bit...why O why did the Judge have to have twins?

Still...and I will give Dabo this, he usually knows what he's doing, and I know he believes in and makes more than just casual lip-service to family...and building an extended family atmosphere around Clemson. I know he's trying to transition between generations and establish a continuity between the Ford years and the current generation. So for now I'll just go with it...and hope lack of depth at LB doesn't bite us this year. We are running at 81 - as opposed to 85 - scholies available because of these takes, though. It might be that four legacy recruits are a good investment from a locker-room and a (cough) political perspective...again, it's Dabo's call, but one that some are still eyeballing uneasily.

The proof, as ever, will be in the pudding.

Aug 21, 2015, 8:26 PM

Quozzell have you seen them practice or at any of the scrimmages?

Aug 22, 2015, 5:51 AM

> Quozzell have you seen them practice or at any of the
> scrimmages?

Yeah. Also agree with the guy who said they struggle in space. They're heavy-footed. They do lay some lumber, which is good, but they're A-to-C-gap run stuffers (actually more like A-to-B-gap run stuffers right now) and that's it...and they're not as good at that as, say, Goodson is. Just no lateral athleticism, very little agility, not much speed, and they're not quick-twitch athletes either.

They might get to a point where they can contribute, sure, if they work like maniacs in the weight room, really tweak their diet, and go psycho gym rat, but they don't...look...like guys who have been gym rats in the past, sorry. Maybe that'll change now that they're on scholie. Like I said, I'll give Dabo and the staff the benefit of the doubt.

They didn't look totally hopeless, but they did look like 2-star guys, sorry. Just what I saw. Not saying they're Rudy or anything, they just...look like what you'd see at Furman or South Carolina State or maybe Georgia State.

Question...

Aug 22, 2015, 9:17 AM

Do you think they could develop into career special teams studs where all they do is concentrate on special teams, or will they never be good there as well? Thanks for any insight you offer.

Aug 22, 2015, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Re: About what 2 guys that were gonna RS this year no matter ]

I've heard they have been working extremely hard and that showed up in the weigh in video; both looked much more toned than previously. They both actually have decent size and build for the position; I'd see their absolute upside as a Spencer Shuey type but less athletic overall when it comes to speed and lateral movement.

Aug 21, 2015, 8:39 PM [ in reply to Re: About what 2 guys that were gonna RS this year no matter ]

Nevermind. It's a shame that you typed all that and prob havent seen them practice or scrimmage for that matter since being at Clemson. Anybody who had seen them since coming to Clemson should be shocked like I was. I know i was shocked. They both look good. I've seen them and both look more ready than Chad Smith. More aggressive and making the right decisions. Both got snaps with the 2deep. #33 whichever one that is was making tackles with the first team guys. He goes hard and hits people in the mouth. Made multiple tackles with all the big guys on the field. He has a nose for the ball. He is a true LB. #36 looks good too. I wonder if anyone will admit they're wrong. I'm admitting it now.

Guess I might be WRONG

Aug 21, 2015, 7:23 PM [ in reply to About what 2 guys that were gonna RS this year no matter ]

TCI just reported that Dabo said the Twins will not RS this year.

Forgot the link

Aug 21, 2015, 7:25 PM

http://forums.theclemsoninsider.com/showthread.php?t=49786

Re: Guess I might be WRONG

Aug 21, 2015, 9:18 PM [ in reply to Guess I might be WRONG ]

That's so they are out of here faster 4 year eating up scholarships and not 5.

Yes,Yes, coaches making the BIG $$$

Aug 21, 2015, 9:26 PM

are gonna use them just to get them out faster. D@mn!!!

Re: Yes,Yes, coaches making the BIG $$$

Aug 21, 2015, 9:39 PM

I don't know why they are hear but it's not because they can play football.

Aug 21, 2015, 9:46 PM [ in reply to Yes,Yes, coaches making the BIG $$$ ]

That's generally how this works - when coaches feel they can recruit better players than the ones currently around, or if they don't believe a player will make significant contributions (sorry, but playing special teams is not a major contribution - #### near anyone on the team can do that), they will try to avoid having that player occupy a scholarship any longer than necessary.

I predict that at least one of the two will see a couple plays on ST within the first two games. I do hope that their speed and athleticism improves in a college conditioning program, though. I support all our players and hope and wish the best for all of them; some fans on Tnet don't seem to recognize that it's possible to disagree with players being offered scholarships while supporting them as a part of the team at the same time. There is no malicious intent whatsoever.

Aug 21, 2015, 9:50 PM

Perfect thank you

Aug 21, 2015, 10:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Yes,Yes, coaches making the BIG $$$ ]

Maybe not by you but there was plenty of malicious intent with these legacy kids. The twins didn't go to any exposure camps and that's how you get ranked. That's how it works. They played at nearby Daniel. They went to Clemson's camp and graduated a year early.

I'm hearing the coaches wanted to redshirt them because they're growing still. The injuries and their surprise play can make them valuable and aggressive hitters are always good for special teams. People think bad players play on special teams. That's not how it works. I don't think they were expected to be ready but they look good. Chad Smith is a kid I'm looking forward to seeing him play but he looks soft and tentative. #33 was straight downhill and getting after it. He looked like he was fitting in. I was like wait this is the starters and he's making tackles and actually hitting hard. Not sure how he does in space but in that box he was solid.

Aug 21, 2015, 10:56 PM

Their issue hasn't been playing downhill - they are aggressive and ok tacklers, which means they could play a role in goal line/short yardage packages. They have apparently been struggling with outside runs and anything requiring them to drop or move laterally, according to someone I know who sees the team practice every day.

How old are they?

Aug 22, 2015, 9:13 AM

I had heard that they were really young when they graduated HS

Re: How old are they?

Aug 22, 2015, 11:09 AM

They did graduate young but they're currently more or less the same age as your average freshman recruit due to gray shirting.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic