Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Plyler's Blog: Defensive Observations
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 2,687

Plyler's Blog: Defensive Observations

Aug 5, 2015, 7:06 AM

Defensive Observations

Defensive Observations
We got a little surprise yesterday when Dabo Swinney

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you see the whole safety

Aug 5, 2015, 7:37 AM

Sam nickel type positions playing out, because if there is one spot we have a surplus of bodies it's that, what I would say are to big to be corners and to small to be will/mike backers and have to be either S or Sam/nickel. I see 6 starter bodies at minimum in kearse green Johnson blanks Odaniel and wiggins. Someone or multiple from that group likely won't get the snaps they deserve. Either way, it is one area we surely have the experienced depth on defense we lack in other areas.

Re: How do you see the whole safety

Aug 5, 2015, 7:43 AM

We need to stop all this sunshine pumping. I mean, come on, the media says we are losing 8 starters. We cant be that good. (tongue in cheek)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Plyler's Blog: Defensive Observations- Secondary may be

Aug 5, 2015, 7:52 AM

solid but a strong pass rush is still necessary. If qb's have all day even the best dbs get burned. I think we'll be solid up front. Our productivity there on DL will come it will just be with some different faces from last year

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah i don't think an elite secondary can cover for

Aug 5, 2015, 8:07 AM

a DL the same way that an elite DL can cover for a secondary. We will still need to be able to stop the run and get some kind of pressure on the QB, even if it isn't quite up to the level of last year - which it won't be. You just don't lose the kind of guys we lost off the DL without some kind of drop off the following season and anyone that things differently is really hitting the Kool-Aid. Hopefully the drop off won't be too steep though and we will be able to make up for a lot of it elsewhere.

I still think top 10ish is probably about the ceiling for this defense, but if with the expected offensive improvement a top 10-15 defense would probably be enough to win the ACC and put is into the playoff discussion.

Re: Yeah i don't think an elite secondary can cover for

Aug 5, 2015, 8:14 AM

I would be happy if its top 25 I think 10 is a stretch. But top 25 with what our offense could be is more than enough. It also depends on opponents offenses, I don't know how they will all stack up but there is evidence at least a few of them will dip from last year. So statistically that may be an injection for this unit.

I'm just saying i think 10ish is the ceiling - the best we

Aug 5, 2015, 8:20 AM

can realistically hope for if everything goes well. I agree that something in the 15-25 range is probably more realistic, but that's also an opinion that will likely make both of us unpopular around here. :)

Re: Yeah i don't think an elite secondary can cover for

Aug 5, 2015, 11:39 AM [ in reply to Yeah i don't think an elite secondary can cover for ]

I think you are gonna be shocked at how good Carlos Watkins and D.J. Reader are at DT.
Carlos had taken a starting spot before that tragic accident. I think he is healthy again. Pagano and Wilkins and Huggins backing them up.....
Blanks back at NickleB, with Wiggins playing at NB and Safety... Kearse and Alexander in the Secondary.

We might not be #1 defense....that was experience and team leadership from Anthony and others but this Defense has more talent than last years, by the end of season they will have the experience.

I wouldn't be shocked by that at all. I like what we have

Aug 5, 2015, 12:16 PM

at DT. I'm more concerned about DE outside of Lawson, and I think we will also see a bit of a drop off at LB.

Again, I'm not saying we are going to suddenly be a middle of the road 40-60th type of defense like we were a few years ago, but i would also be shocked (and obviously thrilled) if were elite like last year.

Re: I wouldn't be shocked by that at all. I like what we have

Aug 5, 2015, 4:38 PM

I think we are deeper in talent at DE and LB than last year... At the start of last season we had Anthony, Steward and Wiggins(NB/LB) and Boulware.
This year we have Boulware, Goodson and Wiggins(NB/LB) and Blanks and O'Daniel, but we have Register, Joseph, Rogers pushing for playing time.....
DE we have Lawson and Dodd then Yeargan and the freshman pushing for playing time. At DE we are thin on experience but long on talent especially if Wilkins or Huggins slides over to DE.

Replies: 9
| visibility 2,687
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic