Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tillman Hall: A Rational Resolution
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,078

Tillman Hall: A Rational Resolution

Jul 17, 2015, 10:55 PM

So we all know that Clemson has officially denounced Ben Tillman, and things seem to be moving in the direction of changing the name. As with many situations like these, there are strong arguments from both sides. The side looking to erase the Tillman name from our campus has a very good point: Tillman was a terrible human being who advocated and even promoted the killing of African Americans in the name of “keeping them in their place”. However, those who are for keeping the name as-is have a legitimate point as well: Tillman played an integral part in the founding of our beloved university and, furthermore, his position was not only accepted at the time, it was mainstream in many parts of the country & world.

So what do we do? Do we keep it as is when there are very good reasons for people to be upset at the idea of honoring such a human being? Or do we erase the name from our campus and pretend we never had any affiliation?

Neither of these is the best option.

As an institution of higher learning, whose goal is to educate and enlighten, we cannot ignore Tillman’s role in creating our university, nor ignore his core beliefs. Our university should inform, educate, and stimulate discussion. Therefore, the best option is to keep Tillman’s name on the building, but devote the building (or at least a significant part of it) to educating people on the good and bad of our country’s past. This should include Tillman, the Confederacy and the United States as a whole.

Our society has come to a point where each side always keeps its opponent at arms length, especially when it comes to matters like race.

On one side, you have conservatives. They want to honor our past and preach “heritage, not hate”. However, they refuse to acknowledge that within that heritage is an immense amount of hate.

On the other side, you have liberals. They want to innovate, move forward as a society, and “evolve” in general. However, they forget that evolution involves a faulty subject improving & refining itself. They focus only on the negative of the past while ignoring the fact that many of the people of that period—despite their faults—laid a great foundation for our country.

The way things are done right now, the two parties yell at one another from across the aisle and explain why the other is a complete idiot. Let’s be better than that. Let’s be ahead of the curve. Let’s let our university show everyone else how it should be done: you can’t sugarcoat the mistakes of our past, and you can’t ignore its contributions either. By keeping the name on the building, while using the building to explain the raw truth of the past, we can blaze our own trail and move forward, the right way.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree - removing the name of Tillman Hall......

Jul 17, 2015, 11:15 PM

and other long-used school and road names, etc. isn't realistic. It's what is done from this point on to recognize and correct racism that matters. Changing names isn't going to magically make that happen - people working together is what is needed.

I'm almost 60 years old so I realize I have an older person's perspective on things (like can't imagine Tillman Hall being called something else) - am curious what people half my age, for example, think about renaming Tillman Hall.

Re: I agree - removing the name of Tillman Hall......

Jul 17, 2015, 11:25 PM

Well I'm 30, so I can give you the perspective of someone in that group! haha

I think a lot of the people who are for changing the name are in my age bracket and younger (likely younger). They've got less of a connection to the building and therefore it's easier to change it. However, I believe that's a mistake. Removing that name won't ease racial harmony. It won't make people happier or more comfortable with someone of another race. I think the only way to do that is to educate and promote discussion, and adding a museum would do something for that.

Re: Tillman Hall: A Rational Resolution

Jul 18, 2015, 3:07 AM

Also, I forgot to ask how other believe this idea could be improved. I think this would work for both sides of the argument, but obviously there are always ways to improve any idea.

My young Friend, you offer a rational approach; however,

Jul 18, 2015, 5:51 AM

I believe the winds of change are upon us.

Even back in the 60's at Clemson, there were discussions about Tillman and his legacy. The building is the oldest and most prominent on campus and has welcomed generations of young men and women back to our earliest days. It will continue to do so for many more generations. Hence, it stands as a beacon, for it is Clemson and remains the one, great constant when we think of our Alma Mater.

It was known as Old Main for over 50 years...in fact a name I like...and in the spirit of brotherhood with my fellow alumni, I would have no problem with that historical reconnection. What I do believe is important is that that something in those hills has not been generated from a building, but rather from the special bonds created through the years between young and old alike, between men and women of all backgrounds and races...all of us united in the fellowship we call Clemson.

With that in mind names of buildings become significant only to recognize those who have made positive contributions to that fellowship. While Tillman was instrumental in the creation of Clemson, his failures of humanity are roundly rejected by most associated with Clemson, including an overwhelming majority on TigerNet.

Old Main...I like the sound of it; I like it's connection to our earliest years; I like the honor it accords the pioneering young men who ventured into the backwoods of our state to further their education. Most of all I believe those winds of change will demand a renaming, and if so, I will support it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My young Friend, you offer a rational approach; however,

Jul 18, 2015, 11:27 AM

To be perfectly honest, I had no idea that the building had previously been called Old Main. That is actually a great name. I thought that the building was constructed & named Tillman Hall from the beginning.

If they were to revert the name back to its original, then I wouldn't have a problem with it. When was the name changed to Tillman Hall?

Jul 18, 2015, 11:43 AM [ in reply to My young Friend, you offer a rational approach; however, ]

I like it too. "Old Main."

BUT, I wonder how many will find that name offensive as well, simply because of the period in history that it was called that.

Jul 18, 2015, 11:54 AM

> I like it too. "Old Main."
>
> BUT, I wonder how many will find that name offensive
> as well, simply because of the period in history that
> it was called that.

Now THAT is what we call "a stretch".

I can understand both sides...

Jul 18, 2015, 8:42 AM

and frankly, whatever happens isn't going to make me stop loving Clemson.

I do like your idea - perhaps they could even add a plaque at the front of Tillman on the history of the building, the reason it is names, and the atrocities he committed.

Maybe establish a Regional History Center? Kind of a Museum along with possible classes on the History of the Civil War, the South in general, South Carolina and Clemson.

Somewhere on the plaque could be a nicely worded (that would probably be the problem... couldn't word something to make everyone happy!) explanation that while Tillman Hall stands as a recognition to the contributions of Ben Tillman to Clemson, it also serves as a reminder of the atrocities he and others committed against their fellow humans and that we must forever be vigilant and learn from the mistakes of our past????

While there is CERTAINLY no comparison here, think about Auschwitz... it serves as a reminder... --- granted there is no Hitler Hall... but while I've never been there, I am sure there are pictures of the man and the evil he condoned there. I'm probably going to get ridiculed for even mentioning this, however, my point is that a statue or building name doesn't have to be something to remind us of just the good. It can also remind us that we need to remember the bad so as not to repeat our mistakes.

Re: I can understand both sides...

Jul 18, 2015, 11:33 AM

I'm with you. A poster above made a very good point that the building was formerly called Old Main (and that's actually a fantastic name), and so if it were to be reverted back to its original name I wouldn't have a big problem with it. However, I do think we can view this as an opportunity to bring awareness to people in a new way.

get rid of Tillman Hall and Cripmas parties***

Jul 18, 2015, 11:36 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: get rid of Tillman Hall and Cripmas parties***

Jul 18, 2015, 11:39 AM

haha I'm all for getting rid of the cripmas parties...I also just read in another thread that Tillman Hall was renamed that in 1962--the same year that the Confederate Flag was raised above the State House. If that's the case, then my mind will be changed totally as to whether or not Tillman Hall should remain.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,078
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic