Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What's the latest on CU commit Rahshaun Smith, LB?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

What's the latest on CU commit Rahshaun Smith, LB?

Jul 14, 2015, 3:41 PM

Some talk of Maryland?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What's the latest on CU commit Rahshaun Smith, LB?

Jul 14, 2015, 3:49 PM

His best friend commited there. He took a few visits to visit with him this summer. Maryland then hired Rashaun's trainer as a strength coach, hoping they can make him flip.

He says he's solid. His coach says he's solid. But some UM website sites an anonymous source who says he may flip.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

internal connection and location

Jul 14, 2015, 3:50 PM

Could prove challenging when all is said and done

The only people saying Maryland

Jul 14, 2015, 3:50 PM

are Maryland news outlets... Just like the only people who said Ray Ray was going to Florida were Tampa-area news outlets.

Re: The only people saying Maryland

Jul 14, 2015, 3:55 PM

If he has character, he's a Tiger. If he has none, he might just be a turtle, but he always would be ashamed of his decision.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At least he would have a shell to hide in then.

Jul 14, 2015, 3:57 PM

Is that how it works?

Re: At least he would have a shell to hide in then.

Jul 16, 2015, 9:15 PM

As a matter of fact, that's exactly how it works, and if he is smart, he will see it too. Sorry if you don't.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 14, 2015, 4:34 PM [ in reply to Re: The only people saying Maryland ]

It has nothing to do with character. Sometimes people change their minds, especially with so much noise coming from all directions. Hopefully he'll be a Tiger, but if he changes his mind it has nothing to do with strength of character.

Jul 16, 2015, 11:17 AM

It might. I doubt either of us know that for sure. I like his chances of developing or maintaining high character at Clemson way more than at MD, though.

Jul 16, 2015, 11:20 AM

You made the claim that "if he has character, he's a Tiger". Suggesting that if he were to change his mind, he'd have no character. I was simply saying that isn't true.

Jul 16, 2015, 11:34 AM

Tmac coming through yet again as the "voice of reason," so long as it pertains to disfavorable results for Clemson ;)

If a guy is on the commit who's been on our board for this long, comes off it this late in the game (most teams have filled 85% or more of their classes with hiw early recruiting starts in the day and age), it causes a negative windfall which makes it very difficult to recover from and be in a better position come Feb (Fields being the exception).

Jul 16, 2015, 12:25 PM

What makes you think I want bad results for Clemson? In this case, it would mean a 17-18 year old kid changed his mind. I wouldn't like it, but if he does change, it's not due to a fault in character.

The other "bad result" for Clemson would be what? Me saying we should wait and see what happens with the Dalvin Cook situation before proclaiming him guilty?

It's funny that you brought up Mark Fields, because I hadn't even thought about that. You're blasting a hypothetical decommitment "this late in the game" yet we profited from Mark Fields decommitting from South Carolina in December of last year, and committing to us shortly thereafter. Do you consider him to be a low-character player? I sure don't. I see him as someone who saw reason to explore other options and eventually choose a fantastic school. Do you disagree?

When he committed to LSU, Saivion Smith was very complimentary of our program and our coaching staff. If something were to happen this season, like LSU underperforming or Clemson performing extremely well (both very possible) and he decided to decommit from LSU and join Clemson, would you suggest he didn't have any character? Please keep in mind he committed to LSU a month before Smith committed to us.

Jul 16, 2015, 9:33 PM

By the way, a change in his mind might very well say something about his character. It might (and I stress might) say that the high standards we have at Clemson are things he isn't interested in, or it might (and here again I say might) say he just never really thought about it. I don't see him as that kind of recruit at all, but kids who don't see the differences we offer, often times, don't have what we are looking for in our players. On the other hand, there are those who never got exposed to high standards who really find exactly what they are looking for. I hope he chooses us for the right reasons. If he doesn't like what we offer, then I hope he rethinks his position.

Jul 16, 2015, 9:43 PM

The problem is you're using a lot of "mights" to describe a definitive statement you made previously.

Ultimately, there's really no point in continuing to argue though. I think Smith is going to make the right decision (Clemson) and believe that the only mutters about him wavering are coming from Maryland staff & fans who are simply trying to create a little ruckus and maybe create some doubt in his head.

Jul 16, 2015, 10:13 PM

The problem to which you reference are just that, there are a lot of ifs and mights left in his recruitment. I think he is a great talent. I hope he chooses us, period, end of story. I, too, am tired of the discussion, but both of us have our good fortune top of mind. That is a good thing, IMO. Have a good evening.

Jul 16, 2015, 10:18 PM

you too!

Almost half of the top 50 recruits are still uncommitted

Jul 16, 2015, 1:25 PM [ in reply to Re: The only people saying Maryland ]

According the the 247 composite ranking. (24/50)

Of the 327 players rated at 4 stars or above by the same system (which is an average of all of the 4 major services), 44% (144 players) are still uncommitted.

This being the case, I sincerely hope that everyone else's class is 85% full, because we'll get our pick of who we want.

Jul 16, 2015, 9:12 PM [ in reply to Re: The only people saying Maryland ]

Ding, ding, ding!

Jul 16, 2015, 9:25 PM [ in reply to Re: The only people saying Maryland ]

Wow! You are reaching to think that character would be much of a driver of this guy if he were to choose them over us, but that's your privilege. You can't say with a straight face that MD has demonstrated the caliber kids we have, and you certainly can't say their fans have the class ours as a rule have (and yes there are a few exceptions, but they are very, very few). Maybe you should visit a game up there, but be sure to go to the game in a group unless you don't value your life, your money or your possessions.

Jul 16, 2015, 9:32 PM

The fanbase has nothing to do with the players in the program. Alabama fans are hideous, but from everything I can tell, Saban runs a very tight ship with his players. There are going to be occurrences when players will feel more comfortable with certain programs. Obviously I think our program is run in a stellar fashion, but I'm not going to question the character of an 18 year old guy who choses to play elsewhere--especially if that program is so close to his home.

With that said, I think Smith has shown he loves Clemson, and there's no doubt Clemson loves him. I think he's going to be a Tiger and I think it's the best place for him both personally & professionally.

Jul 16, 2015, 9:36 PM

You are entitled to your opinion, and I respect that. I do agree with your last paragraph, however, and I hope he sees the positives in becoming a Tiger. He is a great player, and we could use his skills.

Jul 16, 2015, 9:44 PM

Absolutely. As someone said below, he reminds me a lot of Stephone Anthony.

Jul 16, 2015, 9:17 PM [ in reply to Re: The only people saying Maryland ]

Believe what you wish. If he were to choose them over us, it would say a lot about what his character make up is

I'll feel a lot better about this when Tiger Woods

Jul 14, 2015, 4:06 PM

resurfaces. Did that dude take the summer off?

No sugar coat

Jul 14, 2015, 4:25 PM

Not ideal for us. But not worried because of these factors.

1. About to go to cookout
2. He left his mentor for IMG already. Would not be a big deal to not join him in Maryland.
3. It's Maryland. Their stadium has 37K seats?
4. His relationship with Venables is very strong. He knows he'll get top notch coaching.
5. His mentor is not going to be a coach. He's going to be the Developer of Player Personal.

Just need to make sure he makes it to the cookout. It's going to be hard for anyone to pry away Rahshaun.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: No sugar coat

Jul 14, 2015, 4:35 PM

Thanks for the straightforward info. When is the cookout?

As long as we have a 90+% chance of keeping him, I'll rest

Jul 14, 2015, 4:35 PM [ in reply to No sugar coat ]

easy. I feel like the day we lose a big name recruit to Merryland is the day we need to reevaluate our recruiting model.

That would be almost as bad as losing a recruit to ole miss

Jul 16, 2015, 1:27 PM

except for the paycheck

^^^ This. Folks shouldn't study the Smith situation much.

Jul 14, 2015, 4:37 PM [ in reply to No sugar coat ]

I think it's safe to say I have a better chance of waking up with my head sewn to the floor than him going to Maryland. Rahshaun really likes Brent. So long as Brent stays, so will he.

I'll still feel much better when...

Jul 14, 2015, 4:40 PM

1. He goes to the cookout
2. He goes back down to Florida and isn't around MD people.

Jul 14, 2015, 5:15 PM [ in reply to No sugar coat ]

> Not ideal for us. But not worried because of these
> factors.
>
> 1. About to go to cookout
> 2. He left his mentor for IMG already. Would not be
> a big deal to not join him in Maryland.

> 3. It's Maryland. Their stadium has 37K seats?
> 4. His relationship with Venables is very strong. He
> knows he'll get top notch coaching.
> 5. His mentor is not going to be a coach. He's going
> to be the Developer of Player Personal.
>
> Just need to make sure he makes it to the cookout.
> It's going to be hard for anyone to pry away
> y Rahshaun.

actually Robinson was instrumental in getting Smith to go to IMG as he was in charge of
developing DB's there.

Jul 16, 2015, 12:12 PM

I don't see it anywhere. Cory Robinson is the founder of Next Level. I think he has worked with IMG kids but he still coached in Maryland. Nothing about him coaching at IMG. Let me know if you find a link.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Jul 16, 2015, 12:28 PM

I'm pretty sure Corey Robinson coached DBs at IMG for a short while if I remember correctly from a friend who trained with him.

Jul 16, 2015, 12:33 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EstdKfy7avw

perhaps, although it's not listed in the short bio.

it's a nice piece.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2015, 1:00 PM

finally found what I was looking for, he did some work with IMG draft preparation for some DBs, especially Adrian Amos from penn st./baltimore area, but I don't believe he was a coach at the high school level.

he was a coach at the hs level, calvart hall, before

Jul 16, 2015, 1:09 PM

co-founding next level.

cory gets a mention, but separate from img

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: he was a coach at the hs level, calvart hall, before

Jul 16, 2015, 1:11 PM

either way screw Maryland and we should be fine after the all-in cookout to resolidify things

werd.

Jul 16, 2015, 1:18 PM

then round out that pos. group with lamar.

Jul 14, 2015, 6:49 PM [ in reply to No sugar coat ]

I sure hope he stays with the tigers. Reminds me of Stephone Anthony.

Rahshaun Smith confirmed for Cookout...

Jul 16, 2015, 2:14 PM

Not to worry. One should easily see the choice between Md and Clemson as a no brainer. Smith is a Tiger.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rahshaun Smith confirmed for Cookout...

Jul 16, 2015, 4:48 PM

The news that he's definitely coming to the cookout certainly helped make me feel a bit better.

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic