Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why are the Nerds (GaTech) getting so much preseason hype?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Why are the Nerds (GaTech) getting so much preseason hype?

May 11, 2015, 9:52 AM

I for one am not buying it. I know they will be decent and probably win 7-9 games but some pundits have them in the orange bowl.

How does CPJ turn 2 and 3 star players into a formidable force every year?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because the offense they run is difficult to defend***

May 11, 2015, 9:55 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

And they execute it well.

May 11, 2015, 10:06 AM

Also cut blocking.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

They lose alot except for the the QB. and the QB is the key

May 11, 2015, 9:56 AM

to that system IMO. A smart QB that can throw a little and is tough can really run that offense efficiently. I think its a wait and see with them. There was a lot of butt hurt when they pounded the SEC's mighty MSU into the ground in that bowl game, so they must be good next year amirite?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Because they beat us last season !***

May 11, 2015, 10:12 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Plus Tech returns 8 starters on defense.***

May 11, 2015, 10:21 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's why. They beat UGA and then waxed an SEC team

May 11, 2015, 10:33 AM

in their bowl. The pundits can't continue to hype and give credibility to their conference unless they deal with those that can be propped up against the preconceived notions.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Why are the Nerds (GaTech) getting so much preseason hype?

May 11, 2015, 10:40 AM

Returning 8 players on a D that was fairly "Stoudt" last years says a lot. Sure they lose almost all of their WR's, A backs and B backs, but you can plug and play there. They return Justin Thomas, the driver, and their OL, the engine, to an offense that's very tough to defend. They won't beat us in The Valley, but they will do well in the Coastal, and most likely make it to the ACCCG where we will pound PJ's #### again.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hope you're right about the Valley...

May 11, 2015, 10:54 AM

They hung 28 points on us last year.
Hope DW can stay healthy and we can move the ball.
Go Tigers!!

Two pick sixes accounted for 12 of those 28 points. If we

May 11, 2015, 11:03 AM

hold the Bees to 16 this year, I really like our chances.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

and one of those resulted in a 12 point swing....

May 11, 2015, 11:55 AM

If Watson doesn't injure his knee, Clemson is about score.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Hung 28? Thinking about 14 of those were gifts.***

May 11, 2015, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Hope you're right about the Valley... ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gifts or not...

May 11, 2015, 1:30 PM

those points still count. I do feel it would have been different if DW hadn't gotten hurt.
But as it turned out, they almost doubled our offense and averaged 5 yards a carry against a very good defense.
Hope we get them this year!
Go Tigers!!

Because they are going to be good again this year***

May 11, 2015, 11:06 AM

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Link?

May 11, 2015, 11:07 AM

TIA in advance.

You're just mad about them winning the coastal instead

May 11, 2015, 11:08 AM

of your beloved dookies

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

werd...

May 11, 2015, 11:25 AM

######.

- dookie bob

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's the worst type of bob, imo smh***

May 11, 2015, 11:26 AM

like spongebob, our bob

May 11, 2015, 11:36 AM

is known for his breeches.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And

May 11, 2015, 11:39 AM

whitey tighties

Wut

^^^drewtigeralum03 ain't gonna like this***

May 11, 2015, 11:37 AM [ in reply to werd... ]

They were 1 Watson tweaked knee play away from

May 11, 2015, 11:15 AM

being 2nd in the division and not sniffing the orange bowl. UGA gift wrapped the game for them. And Miss State was probably the most overrated team in CFB last year.

Their defense is much improved though over the last 2 years and should get better this year too. They come to Clemson but pick up FSU instead of NC State. They do have a non-conference game at ND. I expect them to be about 8-4 this year.

May 11, 2015, 11:24 AM

Because they're good. They moved on the ball on last year's defense and that defense was NASTY! A wasted defense IMO. They shut Clemson's offense down, granted Cole Stoudt was the QB. They played in a BCS game, nearly beat FSU, and beat UGA. They had a good season, no reason to believe they won't be good again

May 11, 2015, 12:10 PM

Not sure which team you watched. Nerds should have lost to Ga So and UGA but coaching blunders cost those games. A healthy DWat and Clemson wins 40-14. Cole played the worst game I have ever seen a Clemson QB play. Was an 8-4 type of team. Good, but not great.

May 11, 2015, 12:36 PM

I pointed that out to him already with a qtr by qtr actual view of how it actually looked against our D...he has yet to respond...thinks the pick 6s were our Ds fault I guess.

May 11, 2015, 4:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Why are the Nerds (GaTech) getting so much preseason hype? ]

Didn't watch them play GA Southern, and regardless of excuses they beat UGA. And a healthy D Watson probably does, but we'll never know. We do know what we have to go by, and that was one of the worst QB's in college football go to ATL and put the best defense in the nation in terrible situations all day, and lose

May 11, 2015, 6:53 PM

Though I understand your round about way of thinking he hurt the D, Stoudt didn't put the defense in a bad situation beyond the 3 and outs. He put the OFFENSE in a bad situation more than he did the defense. Two of the 3 pick 6's went for TD's. Last time I checked, the defense was on the sidelines during those 12 points, so how is it they were supposed to stop that?? Then his third only put our defense in a bad situation because his turnover put them in Clemson territory (Clemson 44 yard line), setting them up for another 3 easy points. Take all that away, and the D held them to 13 of that 28 points. That doesn't sound to me like the D was to hurt by it...his mere 6 points by 2 FG's though seems to point at how he hurt the offense's chance.

we had the ball for 24 min and nearly 8 of that

May 11, 2015, 11:01 PM

was the first 3 drives with Watson. We averaged a little over 5 min TOP per quarter in the last 3. That sucks and definitely hurts a defense.

It bugs me that Clemson fans don't respect GTech.

May 11, 2015, 11:29 AM

National media, I understand. But the Clemson faithful....we should know better.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: It bugs me that Clemson fans don't respect GTech.

May 11, 2015, 11:33 AM

Much of the time, preseason polls are based on a team's success in the previous year. They seldom take into consideration what that team lost to graduation and to the NFL.

I think that's typically the starting point and then they

May 11, 2015, 11:45 AM

tend to adjust largely based on what skill position players are returning and maybe a little bit on total defensive starters returning. Maybe the media has gotten slightly better at this in recent years and is finally looking at things like OL, and WHO is actually coming back on defense (starters and entire 2-deep), but for a long time these things were largely ignored.

I'm not convinced that GT losing RBs and WRs is going to

May 11, 2015, 11:34 AM

hurt them much, if at all. They have a QB returning that's elite within that offense, and they also bring back 4/5 starting linemen. Their defense, which was their achilles heel for a few years, returns 8/11 starters from a unit that was already markedly better last season.

I just feel like PJ can plug in backs and WRs and make the offense work. Those seem like to least important position on the field for them, and they ALWAYS have competent players in those spots.

I don't know what kind of record they will post this year, but i wouldn't be surprised if they are actually better than they were last season.

It won't hurt them a single bit. Plug and play offense

May 11, 2015, 11:36 AM

except at the QB position where they are fine.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Rb's will plug and play, WR's will be much tougher to replac

May 11, 2015, 4:56 PM [ in reply to I'm not convinced that GT losing RBs and WRs is going to ]

they had two tall guys that got drafted, do they have more tall WR's waiting in the wings?

Thomas is the perfect qb for them, I was impressed with his throwing accuracy, but without sizeable WR's the windows get even smaller and 1-1 coverage will stop it. They get big plays by passing, take that away and it takes them all day to score.

Also, the biggest change on their team last year was defensive philosophy. They became a risk taking defense, set on getting turnovers. We learned that the hard way.
If you understand that and don't give them the chances, you can pound their porous D all day.

They also lost their best OL, which could make a big difference for the fullback running.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 11, 2015, 11:47 AM

ask the guy who coached the number 1 defense in ALL of college football last year!

Coot, did you watch the game? The defense did fine.***

May 11, 2015, 11:57 AM

Re: Coot, did you watch the game? The defense did fine.***

May 11, 2015, 12:25 PM

Of course he didn't watch the game, he was too busy beating off to Spurrier's moobs.

Summa cum laude. Magna cum laude. The radio’s too loudy.

May 11, 2015, 11:53 AM

Justin Thomas is actually a pretty decent QB and their system allows for plug-and-play in the rest of the backfield as well as at the receiver position. Combine that with a solid if not spectacular defense and you get a preseason top-25 team.

May 11, 2015, 12:28 PM

Leadcoot is right. There would be no need to ask his defensive coach that because they were near the bottom.

Because they made it to the Orange Bowl last season....

May 11, 2015, 12:29 PM

and throughout the history of preseason predictions, sports pundits base there opinions off of what happened last season.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2-3 star players are just players further behind in their

May 11, 2015, 2:32 PM

development than 4-5 stars. Redshirting them and having them hang around for 5 years with proper coaching is all it takes.

http://247sports.com/Article/247Rating-Explanation-81574

I think there's more to it than that. On average, 4-5 star

May 11, 2015, 3:44 PM

players are going to have a higher ceiling than 2-3 star players as well.

Here's to them getting MUCH more of it. The less we get, the bigger the chip on our shoulder and

May 11, 2015, 10:28 PM

The harder and more focused we'll play - and more ges we'll win - if the past serves as any indicator of future outcome.

May 12, 2015, 7:50 AM

unfortunately, to win the ACC this year, we will have to beat 3 top ten teams in the ACC. Is that possible to have to face 3 top ten teams in the ACC? Yes it is.

If we beat GT and FSU, then we will face GT again in the ACCCG - that makes 3 top ten wins. FSU will have ONE loss and GT will have 2 losses before they play in their bowl games. :)

You heard it here first. lol

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic