Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ron Morris: ACC Making Gains, But SEC Still On Top (c/p)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Ron Morris: ACC Making Gains, But SEC Still On Top (c/p)

Apr 25, 2015, 11:57 PM

Morris: ACC making gains in football, but SEC still on top

RON MORRIS

rmorris@thestate.com

04/25/2015 10:44 PM

04/25/2015 11:11 PM

ACC FOOTBALL IS not likely to catch the SEC anytime soon. Neither, for that matter, will the Big Ten, Big 12 or Pac-12 conferences. When your league wins seven consecutive national championships – as the SEC did from 2006 to 2012 – you earn the right to crow about your supremacy for a long, long time.

For the rest of the Power Five conferences, it becomes a matter of continuing to chase the rabbit or close the gap. The ACC believes it is among the leaders of that pack and is inching closer to the top.

“I think it’s a bad rap we’re getting in football,” says Jimbo Fisher, whose 2013 Florida State team broke the SEC’s string of national championships and who also guided his team to the first College Football Playoff this past season.

The rap against the ACC might be bad at present, but the league earned every bit of its reputation for being a mediocre to poor football conference for decades. Even with recent success, the ACC is thought of mostly as a two-team league with Florida State and Clemson annually carrying its flag.

The ACC never will match the SEC when it comes to financial resources, TV money, fan bases and stadium sizes and atmospheres. But there are a couple of areas where the ACC is beginning to stack up with the SEC.

The recent additions of Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Louisville eventually will strengthen the league further. At least one of the perennial bottom-feeders – Duke – has produced back-to-back 10-win and nine-win seasons, a sure sign that the league is developing some depth.

The ACC also is beginning to fare better against Power Five opponents, while losing fewer games against non-Power Five conference teams. Not that long ago – 2009 – the ACC’s opening weekend featured league teams losing games to Alabama, Baylor, California, Richmond, South Carolina and William & Mary.

Contrast that to the league’s record of 4-1 since 2012 in the six New Year’s Day bowls, the BCS national championship game and the 2014 College Football Playoff. That compares favorably to the Big Ten record of 4-2 in the same games, Pac-12 at 3-3, Big 12 at 2-3 and SEC at 1-6.

“Four years ago, or five years ago, it just seemed like whenever our league was getting some of those big out-of-conference opportunities, we weren’t really holding our own,” Clemson’s Dabo Swinney says. “But that has changed over the last several years, even last year, Virginia Tech beat the national champion (Ohio State).”

Then there is the league’s talent level.

“Recruiting,” Swinney says of the No. 1 factor in the ACC improving. “We have an excellent group of coaches in this conference, guys who recruit and compete at a high level.”

There is no way to quantify a league’s talent level. Perhaps as good a gauge as any to judge that overall talent is to analyze the NFL draft.

“Look at the number of players drafted,” Fisher says. “I think we’re one of the top two leagues in the country. I’ve said that the whole time. The number one thing when you’re talking about leagues is players.”

Since 2010, the SEC has produced 240 players who were drafted by NFL teams. The ACC is next with 170, followed by the Big Ten with 155, Pac-12 with 149 and Big 12 with 121. Those numbers are significant in showing the wide talent gap between the SEC and the other Power Five leagues, but also in recognizing that the ACC is equal to or better in talent to the other conferences.

Just about every projection for the upcoming NFL draft has the ACC again faring well. Sports Illustrated recently ranked the top 300 draft-eligible prospects from the college ranks. As expected, the SEC led those rankings with 64 players or 21.3 percent. Next in line was the ACC with 49 players or 16.3 percent.

“I think our league consistently puts out numbers of players,” Fisher says. “Look at the draft. You’ll see it here in a month, the number of players that are out there in the draft in the league. We’ll probably be one or two in players drafted.”

In so doing, the ACC might continue to gain recognition as being among the better Power Five conferences in football. But it still will not come close to catching the SEC

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/ron-morris/article19569477.html#storylink=cpy

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ron Morris: ACC Making Gains, But SEC Still On Top (c/p)

Apr 26, 2015, 2:31 AM

K

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 26, 2015, 3:16 AM

double K

Apr 27, 2015, 9:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Ron Morris: ACC Making Gains, But SEC Still On Top (c/p) ]

And the coots will ride that horse into the ground knowing they don't have a horse in the race, it died last season.

This is something else that I find absolutely preposterous with the coots of how desperate they are to feel good about themselves. They really tried to convince everybody who were in hearing distant of them. Before last season, they ended the season really believing they were the actual #4 team in the country. And its all bc the best teams in the sec beat each other and left the coots standing there looking around waiting for somebody to say something. That's when the sec bias media said well I guess that leaves the Coots to take over the 4 slot, and they really believed they were a #4 team. They weren't able to understand that they were appointed #4 by default through sec bias. How do you go from a #4 team in the country in 2013, and can't be found nowhere in the rankings the very next year. We finished as #7 and #8 in 2013 final poles, and #15 in every pole in 2014. If not for their conference affiliation, would they ever be mentioned during FB season?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ron Morris is like a protective cup

Apr 26, 2015, 7:31 AM

smells a little funny and only good for protecting #####.

Re: Ron Morris is like a protective cup

Apr 26, 2015, 7:33 AM

Well what'ya want us to do about it , Ron ?

Sips Sprite , glares.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Poor Little Chickens

Apr 26, 2015, 7:41 AM

No one cares about conference supremecy except fans of teams that cannot excel themselves. The idea of rooting for an entire conference full of your bitter rivals is insane. Unless it's the only bragging right you'll ever have. All I care about is Clemson playing a quality schedule, and we do. It is crazy how far the shameless Coots have taken this conference thing. If it's too tough then get out.

Re: You go5 that right.***

Apr 26, 2015, 7:57 AM

Re: Poor Little Chickens

Apr 26, 2015, 8:14 AM [ in reply to Poor Little Chickens ]

This guy is an idiot....the SEC can hide behind weak schedules, but with a playoff now, they won't produce many more champions....

USuC TRANSLATION

Apr 26, 2015, 8:20 AM

We SUCK Again so pull back out the Conference card.They're sort of like the Fat Girl that hangs with the pretty girl in school, they think they matter.

Read the last sentence of Ron's own words........

Apr 26, 2015, 8:31 AM

"Contrast that to the league’s record of 4-1 since 2012 in the six New Year’s Day bowls, the BCS national championship game and the 2014 College Football Playoff. That compares favorably to the Big Ten record of 4-2 in the same games, Pac-12 at 3-3, Big 12 at 2-3 and SEC at 1-6."

Re: Read the last sentence of Ron's own words........

Apr 26, 2015, 8:49 AM

Yes , since the farcically biased BCS nonsense ended in 2014 , where have the SEC jugger-nots gone ?
Bama ? No appearance.
Aubarn played well but couldn't stave off Crazy-Crablegs and the Criminoles.
What happened to being the empirical standard bearer ?
People are trying to hang on to something that was really never true to begin with .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: Read the last sentence of Ron's own words........

Apr 26, 2015, 2:33 PM [ in reply to Read the last sentence of Ron's own words........ ]

That jumped out to me as well.

Kind of makes the whole article pointless.

Tell 'em capon

Apr 26, 2015, 2:35 PM

He left out the fact that the ACC

Apr 27, 2015, 4:38 AM [ in reply to Read the last sentence of Ron's own words........ ]

Was 4-0 vs the SEC in head-to head match ups in rivalry week.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

the playoff no longer automatically puts the sec in title

Apr 26, 2015, 8:58 AM

games, now they have to win to get there

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

current format will hurt SEC when compared to the cartel BCS

Apr 26, 2015, 9:25 AM

System that perpetuated the SEC myth.

SEC will be out front pushing to expand to 8 teams so they will have a better shot at winning the title.

and so begins the era of living off of the SEC past.....

Apr 26, 2015, 9:00 AM

something the Chickens have endlessly accused Clemson of doing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This article was very relevant

Apr 26, 2015, 9:45 AM

in 2012.

The ACC will never match the SEC in money, fan bases, ....
- The only plausible explanation is, the SEC does less with more.

Not that long ago, 2009, the ACC's opening weekend featured league teams losing....
- 2010: Jacksonville State 49, Ole Miss 48
- 2012: Louisiana-Monroe 34, (#8)Arkansas 31
- 2013: Georgia Southern 26, Florida 20

Dating back to the 2013 season, the SEC has gone 0-5 its last five BCS or New Year's Six bowl games, going 0-2 against the ACC, 0-2 against the Big 12, and 0-1 against the Big Ten. ~ By Jerry Hinnen / College Football Writer/CBS Sports

When your league (SEC) is winning, this sort of article stings. When your league isn't, this sort of article is sad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Apr 26, 2015, 9:51 AM

He uses the false narrative that the ACC is annually the worst Power 5 Football conference, then overstates the SEC's recent Football success as being permanent.

Never say "never" Ron.

I stopped reading after he said Syracuse, and Pittsburg will strengthen the ACC in Football.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm mildly curious how long Team SEC gets to "crow"? How

Apr 26, 2015, 10:59 AM

long can 14 teams coast on the accomplishments of 4 teams almost a decade ago?

Obviously still after Bama lays a big ole Sugar Bowl Egg vs. OU and Auburn gets beat by FSU in the MNC. Obviously still after the SEC East goes 0-4 vs. their ACC rivals last year, Old Mrs. gets destroyed by TCU, GT manhandles Miss St, Auburn loses to a "weak" Big 10 team, and Bama gets bounced from the first round of the "playoff" by OSU this year.

Obviously their still the best conference going on three years from doing anything of remote relevance.

*they're***

Apr 26, 2015, 11:01 AM

Apr 26, 2015, 11:01 AM

One thing Ron fails to mention while comparing the number of NFL players each conference has produced is that from 2010-13 the SEC had 2 more teams than other conferences like the ACC.

you had me at "Ron Morris"..... or not.***

Apr 26, 2015, 11:11 AM

Ron with the ultimate proxy statement !***

Apr 26, 2015, 11:44 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey, I'll take being #2. Heck of a lot

Apr 26, 2015, 12:26 PM

better than a few years ago. Gotta keep it up in football across the board. Thank God Duke has improved. We need more good teams. A two team conference ain't gone cut it against otter leagues

Re: Hey, I'll take being #2. Heck of a lot

Apr 26, 2015, 1:15 PM

I agree, one thing that has hurt our conference is Miami, VT, UNC and NCST went to pot a few years back...Those teams need to get their stuff together and start carrying their weight..If they do, we'll have a pretty darn good conference.

Apr 26, 2015, 1:06 PM

As long as we beat that SEC team the last game of the year, I'm good and really could care less about the rest.

Apr 27, 2015, 10:42 AM

Especially, we don't care about anything coot morris has to say. He will now always be slurriers punk after he slapped his face and made him like it!!!

$EC has already been surpassed by the Pac12 and Big 12....

Apr 26, 2015, 1:15 PM

The ACC and $EC are about equal now. With the Big 10 just behind the $EC and ACC.

so that makes ACC 4th best....? I'd prefer to call

Apr 26, 2015, 2:14 PM

it as ACC #2 behind only the $EC. I feel better that way ??

In what?***

Apr 26, 2015, 2:38 PM [ in reply to $EC has already been surpassed by the Pac12 and Big 12.... ]

Surpassed? Do frickin' what...? Tune in later...***

Apr 26, 2015, 2:41 PM [ in reply to $EC has already been surpassed by the Pac12 and Big 12.... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

doesn't spurrier own this guy's cojones?***

Apr 26, 2015, 2:21 PM

Name team from SC that has been a national football champ

Apr 26, 2015, 4:56 PM

I rest my case.

F**K RON MORRIS!!!

Apr 27, 2015, 1:53 AM

Nm....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 27, 2015, 8:28 AM
kpxe9[1].jpg(45.5 K)

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic