Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Enough with the lovefest for Smart and Marshall
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 860

Enough with the lovefest for Smart and Marshall

Mar 14, 2015, 10:14 AM

Both are good coaches,but not saviors like some on this board seem to believe. Neither has ever had to go through the grind of a power conference schedule. Look what one injury did to VCU this year. They are probably most over-rated team in the country. I like Brownell and think he has had some terrible luck with recruits (Bgame,Rooks,Roper) not being healthy enough to contribute as they could have. On the other hand,not outrecruiting Rod Hall at point guard for four years falls squarely on his shoulders. Also,he needs to do a long,hard self-study on our inability to inbound the ball properly. I have not seen a team who can't inbound against full court pressure and can't do any better at setting up a score under our own basket like Clemson. That being said Bgame and Grantham are a solid forward combo for the next two years,and Holmes will be a serious upgrade at point. We should show improvement next year,but the bottom of the conference will be much,much better. Brownell is our coach,and we need to support him.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I support him 100%.... but I also

Mar 14, 2015, 10:16 AM

recognize being in year 5 with 4 straight NCAA no shows was not his plan

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

How do you know?

Mar 14, 2015, 10:17 AM

Have you SEEN his plan first hand?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this is a solid point thom...

Mar 14, 2015, 10:18 AM

i need to rethink that

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: this is a solid point thom...

Mar 14, 2015, 11:55 AM

in all honesty, I think he probably expected to make the ncaa's on a regular basis by now. He is a good coach and I still think he will turn us around. The teams ahead of us in the conference has been there for years and getting there on a consistent basis is going to be hard.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I also support Brownell ... its his approach to Offense ...

Mar 14, 2015, 11:16 AM [ in reply to I support him 100%.... but I also ]

that I have problem with ...

The whole premise of slowing the game down, limit possessions of the opponent, has one big drawback ...
"It Also Limits Your Possessions And Your Opportunities To Score". Not going to write a book, just google it and find out for your yourself the pros and cons of the "defense first" strategy.

That's why I say keep Brownell and his defense, get a "Offensive Coordinator" (asst Coach) to run the Offense, the "Chad Morris" of Clemson Basketball

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you shood be more careful....

Mar 14, 2015, 11:17 AM

putting "defense first" in your posts tends to draw out unwanted posters

Re: I also support Brownell ... its his approach to Offense ...

Mar 14, 2015, 11:56 AM [ in reply to I also support Brownell ... its his approach to Offense ... ]

what about a Tony Elliot or Jeff Scott?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It isn't Brownell's desire to go as slowly as possible.

Mar 14, 2015, 1:12 PM [ in reply to I also support Brownell ... its his approach to Offense ... ]

He has chosen to do that in order to keep our team as competitive as possible. Yes, he stresses defense first, and it is harder to play great defense when you go fast on offense with players who aren't capable of scoring consistently.

When you are out-talented by almost every team you play in the ACC, you have to do what he has done. This is what Rick Barnes did in the mid-90s, and it worked well. As Brownell gets better players (which he is), we will see our offense succeed more and be able to go a little faster.

If you are wanting a fun 'n gun style where we score 100 points per game, that's not Brownell. But he would certainly like to go faster on offense and score in the 70s. He has said this on several occasions.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: It isn't Brownell's desire to go as slowly as possible.

Mar 14, 2015, 1:29 PM

If KJ hadn't turned pro, none of this 'fire Brownell' would be on the radar right now. No one saw his early departure coming...that's the life of the Duke's, Kentucky's, and Kansas' of the world...not Clemson. KJ was a difference maker, and left a HUGE hole in Brad's plan for this season. His presence alone would have dramatically altered the rotation this season...Grantham would have come off the bench...and B'game may have had even better stats than what he wound up with.

Everyone's frustration is totally understood...but focus on the real cause behind this season's disappointment...a very nasty and unexpected surprise departure. My two cents, anyway.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The same people also wanted Friedgen or Muschamp for FB

Mar 14, 2015, 1:36 PM

Nm

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 860
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic