Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Reader says defense using "next man up" mentality and expectations shouldn't change
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

New Story: Reader says defense using "next man up" mentality and expectations shouldn't change

Mar 4, 2015, 10:25 AM

Reader says defense using "next man up" mentality and expectations shouldn't change

D.J. Reader says he doesn't think expectations for Clemson's defense should change next season just because there will be several new starters, saying that the Tigers have developed a next man up mentality. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its easy to talk the talk, we'll see if they can back it up

Mar 4, 2015, 10:57 AM

this fall

go back to the hen house our guys WILL back it up!***

Mar 4, 2015, 1:42 PM

Why wouldn't they back it up? Strange way to respond.***

Mar 4, 2015, 4:08 PM [ in reply to Its easy to talk the talk, we'll see if they can back it up ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Reader says defense using "next man up" mentality and expectations shouldn't change

Mar 4, 2015, 11:19 AM

I've been surprised by the lack of talk Scott Pagano is getting this spring. I figured his coaches and teammates would be looking for him to have a breakout season.

reader is asked about watkins & pagano at the end of this

Mar 4, 2015, 11:46 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IPl3sVDzMKY

segment... says watkins is back to form & pagano ready to go and doing work putting up 225, 38 times.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Reader says defense using "next man up" mentality and expectations shouldn't change

Mar 4, 2015, 1:40 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Reader says defense using "next man up" mentality and expectations shouldn't change ]

I'd say 38 reps of 225 lbs on the bench press says that Pagano is very capable of making an impact, and he is mentioned very favorably at the end of the interview by Reader.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 4, 2015, 11:30 AM

I love the fact that our past stars, whether on offense or defense, always seem to be there for our current players..#ALLIN

We "TWO" Deep Folks will soon know what it means

Mar 4, 2015, 11:46 AM

When you look at the roster and who we have then it is easy to see that the Clemson Defense has it's success relating to a few factors.

1. The recruiting system builds depth. Clemson, should they continue to recruit successfully will have a minimum of 2 ELITE defensive players at every position on the roster. Then factor in 2 more players who could start at any Division 1 school anywhere else in the 3rd and 4th spot on the depth chart. Each of the back ups will see around 400 snaps each season and when the senior man or starter moves on in life then the saying goes.... "NEXT MAN UP". The back up becomes the starter and so on and so forth. If all goes as planned without any injuries, then each position should have a minimum of 3 players ready to play at a moment's notice.

2. Here is why I do not see any drop off in the Clemson Defense at all this coming season. It is a very simple and basic concept of the Front being disruptive while the Secondary plays assignment and Zone defense. Sure, we may not see as many sacks as the previous two seasons, but the pressure is still going to be there. The secondary returns most of the talent and add in a few new faces that could make an immediate impact and then you have a nasty recipe for disaster. I see more interceptions and tackles for loss this season than last season to be honest. Experience is the best teacher and the pattern of the defense has been the steady improvement from season to season regardless of who is on the field.

3. My final assessment is the biggest of them all.. BRENT VENABLES does not accept mediocrity from any of his players. He pushes them to their limits and beyond. We also have to keep in mind that regardless of talent, the game is played with a clip board and is won with a brilliant mind from the sidelines. Brent Venables will play to the strength of his team and he has been known to dial up a few nasty plays. I am not worried at all about the Defensive side of the ball.

LASTLY, GO TIGERS!! SPOT THE DANG BALL!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

More TFLs this year? Wow, I would love to see that

Mar 4, 2015, 1:16 PM

nm

The Oklahoma Lineman Is Holding In The Picture ----

Mar 4, 2015, 3:18 PM

....and they're looking at the linemen down field rule???

Still have not called that hold after two months of review..***

Mar 4, 2015, 3:26 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I Like that we start with a couple easy games

Mar 4, 2015, 4:22 PM

I look forward to seeing the new defense come together. At Louisville on a Thursday will be a tough test. I'm glad this unit will have a little time to correct mistakes.

Our offense should be loaded, and that'll give the D dinner time to settle in. That said, you always hit a game when the offense stalls, and I'm sure will have to rely on defense to win.

BV changed this defense from the moment he stepped on campus

Mar 5, 2015, 8:21 AM

I don't see much of a drop off this upcoming season, if any drop off at all. It all depends on how our D line plays, every other position will be fine imo. Alot of the players that will be starting this year played significant snaps on that #1 defense and helped them be as dominant as they were. I see another top 10 defense next year

One the one hand, I am glad the players have the

Mar 5, 2015, 8:45 AM

right attitude. They have to believe in themselves and believe they can be the best. And beyond that, I am pulling for them 110% to be the #1 defense again.

On the other hand, having no drop-off after losing Beasley, Jarrett, Anthony, etc. would be an actual miracle. Not just "a miracle" the way people throw around the term, but an actual miracle. I like to hope for a top 10-20 defense in 2015. That would be just fine given the players we have on offense.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic