Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Spring Breakdown: Wide Receivers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 4,086

New Story: Spring Breakdown: Wide Receivers

Feb 19, 2015, 3:23 PM

Spring Breakdown: Wide Receivers

Clemson's wide receiver corps has a solid front line with Artavis Scott, Mike Williams and Charone Peake but there are still lingering questions. Can Peake stay healthy? Can Germone Hopper overcome some costly drops? Will Trevion Thompson make the next step and earn valuable playing time? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please don't leave out Ray Ray.

Feb 19, 2015, 4:57 PM

If there's a hybrid WR/RB it's him not Brooks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

Re: Please don't leave out Ray Ray.

Feb 19, 2015, 7:38 PM

The premise of this article is a joke. It is clearly designed to make a question mark out of another area of next year's team. And I say, to what end? To temper excitement? To play devil's advocate? We have plenty of reasons to be genuinely excited. And, we have other areas that are legitimate question marks. However, one are that is not a question mark, but is almost certainly a reason for excitement, is this wide receiving corps. Scott and Williams are All-ACC(if not more), Hopper was an absolute stud (when Watson was healthy), and with a healthy Peake (think steward), great potential of Thompson and Bell, and the best two freshman receiving tandem in the country in Cain and McCloud (remember, the guys who wanted to go to auburn at the last minute, psyche) we have one of the most enviable wide receiver corps in the country. Now, what are truly question marks, and what I think in the end will be just fine, are the offensive line, the defensive line, and special teams. If these parts of our team come together and Watson stays healthy, the wide receivers will,not only thrive, but be the envy of the entire college football landscape.

There are plenty of questions with this WR group

Feb 19, 2015, 7:56 PM

Scott is our most consistent returning WR and the only one that played a positive role in every game last season from GA all the way until the bowl game. Mike Williams had some really good games but he sort of disappeared in the middle of the season. Now you can blame that on the whole Cole/Watson situation but he will need to be more consistent this coming season regardless. Peake is an unknown, sure he has talent or more like had but who knows what he will be like after all the injuries. That many knee surgeries has to take a toll on your speed and route running ability to some extent not to mention his mental health, and that's if he can stay healthy for an entire season. Hopper was a drop machine last season and only had one good game against UNC, even with Watson in there he was still dropping passes regularly. All that leaves is a ton of raw talented freshmen who are untested. Now I believe these kids are among the most talented in the country and are going to do things at Clemson that we have only seen Sammy Watkins do. But you never know how something like injuries may effect them. Look at last year, we had a potentially talented group of WR's come in and only one saw any real PT. I think we will be more than fine next season but there are plenty of things to be cautious about as well when it comes to the wideouts.

Re: There are plenty of questions with this WR group

Feb 19, 2015, 8:10 PM

And if we are depending on freshmen, especially who passed up on the
opportunity to enroll early, then I think we have genuine cause for concern.
Peake I think, unfortunately, is done. Apparently his knee was not
properly re-built, and he was brought prematurely.

Re: There are plenty of questions with this WR group

Feb 19, 2015, 8:23 PM

Dude, cain and mccloud are not what I would consider "freshman". Was watkins a freshman? Get ready to see an offense better than any we have ever had. It will be due, in large part to a wealth of playmakers, but more so to a qb that is at another level than any other in the country, and to a duo of offensive coordinators that will be much better than expected

Feb 19, 2015, 8:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Please don't leave out Ray Ray. ]

Why no mention of tight end as a force in the receiving mix? Why
do we consistently under-utilize this position, where we apparently
have some talent?

No mention of the tight ends?

Feb 19, 2015, 11:34 PM

Clearly slumdog
Rooter [243]
Joined 2 years ago
TigerPulse: 20%
you missed the entire article on tight ends that ran Wednesday? And of course, tight ends are a separate group. So there's that......

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2015, 8:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Please don't leave out Ray Ray. ]

church!!

Feb 19, 2015, 8:29 PM

Normally I would reserve "church" for cordell broadus, but he couldn't carry cain or mcclouds' jocks

Feb 19, 2015, 7:57 PM [ in reply to Please don't leave out Ray Ray. ]

INMHO, Brooks should have moved to WR long ago. No way he's an effective RB
at 199. Where does this notion come from?

A lot to like with this WR crew

Feb 19, 2015, 5:55 PM

Artavis and Mike Williams are rock solid. All of us should be hoping for solid healthy year for Charone but if you're a sub, you want to be his backup. Nikki documents Hopper has been a Dropper ... so is he giving up an NFL career as a DB or safety to play backup WR? Who else at WR has break-out potential?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A lot to like with this WR crew

Feb 19, 2015, 7:29 PM

Hopper can be as good as he want. 1st he needs to gain weight get to like 200. Then work on his craft, become a master at catching the football.

Feb 19, 2015, 7:51 PM [ in reply to A lot to like with this WR crew ]

They get Thompson in the two spot behind Peake, that combo would definitely be lethal like Gibson and Glover....

Feb 19, 2015, 7:57 PM

You would think after reading the article more like cagey and lacey.....

Feb 19, 2015, 9:40 PM [ in reply to Re: A lot to like with this WR crew ]

AGREED.

Feb 19, 2015, 9:38 PM [ in reply to A lot to like with this WR crew ]

Peake has one more year. This is his last opportunity. He has nothing to lose, all to gain. The last go round. Last chance to get into the NFL draft. Full season, he will. I think he will go out and play with heart, a business like attitude, and not with his mind. The talent is there like (Stewart). I think he will leave it all on the field this time. He has the size and skill set to be a dominant receiver. He will go out with a BANG!!!( And There's Orange in the Endzone). PS:Go Get Yours PEAKE, You Deserve It. Thumbs Up To A Great Senior Year. Its (Combine) Time. See You There In The Near Future.

Re: New Story: Spring Breakdown: Wide Receivers

Feb 19, 2015, 6:26 PM

7 is enough...The offense will roll if Watson stays healthy.

Feb 19, 2015, 9:48 PM

Please don't leave out RR3. He may not get it from the start, and may take time to gather the majority of the playbook, but Cain and McCloud will be utilized heavily against Wofford and App. St. to gain experience. IMO RR3 backs up Scott in the slot, unless Hopper steps up this year(regardless, they both see the field). DC will likely back up Peake at the field receiver position, due to the fact that he is a better route runner, and Thompson backs up Williams on the boundary. Brooks will remain our top APB, and probably at this point our best blocking back. Would have been nice to see him get reps at WR earlier, but doubt he has a future at the next level, if any as a WR. I see him coming into fall camp around 210-215. Since no one mentioned TE, I believe Milan Richard will start, if Leggett hasn't shaken the lazy title by summer. Also look to see Cannon get in the mix as Seckinger and Greenlee rehab. Hopefully we see JJ in the mix, as I thought he showed some flashes last year of what he is capable of. Nonetheless we are loaded at WR, and have talent across the board for that matter. The unknowns come in not knowing what to expect from JS and TE and the type of plays they will call, how they implement new plays and formations as well as how they utilize the TE's this year. I'm excited to see all of our shiny new toys!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2015, 11:06 PM

WOW the stable is full!!!! Lets hope Watson heals up completely. If he comes out and performs like he has the potential, we will finally have the talking head on tv talking about Clemson and the ACC. We have been building a system under Dabo that has gotten better and better. Looking forward to the season already!!!! As the coots shrink back to middle of the pack. Clemson keeps rising!!!!!!!

Feb 20, 2015, 8:39 AM

There seems to be a lot of "cootage" in this thread....

Must really ruffle their feathers that they don't have this much talent!!

Bright side for them: they still have "Pharoh Coop".... Oh wait, nm. 8-)

Go Tigers!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would not be surprised at all if we see Hunter Renfrow

Feb 20, 2015, 8:47 AM

Get significant playing time at some point next season. I saw him play alot while he was at socastee and the kid is just a great athlete. He played like 4 or 5 different positions in highschool and excelled at everyone. He will have to make a huge transition to our offense because the offense he played in highschool was similar to GT's offense but once he gets the playbook down, i think he will be the next Adam Humphries.

Replies: 21
| visibility 4,086
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic