Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: "A Clemson Man Needs No Introduction" spills over into recruiting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

New Story: "A Clemson Man Needs No Introduction" spills over into recruiting

Feb 19, 2015, 7:01 AM

"A Clemson Man Needs No Introduction" spills over into recruiting

Ever wonder why Clemson and some of its closest rivals aren’t heavily recruiting the same players? According to Thad Turnipseed, the director of recruiting & external affairs, Clemson is going after a certain breed of football player and it doesn’t all rely on athletic ability – it’s also about character. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: "A Clemson Man Needs No Introduction" spills over into recruiting

Feb 19, 2015, 7:18 AM

Keep doing what you do Turnipseed!

Go Tigers

This is why we don't recruit people like Blackshear

Feb 19, 2015, 7:20 AM

And I'm glad we do it this way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: "A Clemson Man Needs No Introduction" spills over into recruiting

Feb 19, 2015, 7:27 AM

Makes me proud to wear the paw! Great story! Thanks.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2015, 9:56 AM

I've been proud to wear the Clemson Tiger Paw right after I decided I was going to be a Clemson Tiger fan back in 1962, I was 10 years old then. I had to meet with my workers comp nurse case manager at my doctors visit Monday. My Doctor came into the visit room and the first thing out of his mouth was, Go Tigers. Kelly (case manager) told my Dr, I've never seen H without a Clemson shirt and cap in the 3 years I've known H. My Dr told her, I've been his Dr for more than 15 years and I've never seen H without one either. There was an instant grin on my face, and as proud to be a Tiger as a man could be. The only place I don't wear our colors is church, and during FB season I'll wear them there also after a big game. With the exceptions of a few Suits, dress Slacks, a few Harley shirts, and jeans. My wife says that when she turns the light off in my closet, that's it so much orange, it looks like the sun is going down in there. :) I love it, and I love wearing it!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2015, 4:39 PM

Must be a Clemson thing. My doctor asked me the last time I saw him "do you ever wear anything not associated with Clemson? I don't think I've ever seen you not in orange or wearing a Clemson shirt."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2015, 7:47 AM

WOW!! awesome article. keep up the great work.
there really is something special about our school,
coaches, players, and fans.

Feb 19, 2015, 8:01 AM

Love the article but turnip seed has been dabbling in the Dabo doublespeak.

98% of all clemson recruits had offers from UGA and USC. 92% of USC recruits had offers from Clemson and UGA

100% of Clemson recruits had offers from UGA USC UNC NC state etc

I get the point that Clemson is trying to bring in character guys but there are a vast majority of signees at southern universities also had offers from Clemson.

No harm, just feel the article is a bit misleading.

Feb 19, 2015, 8:09 AM

I disagree. Just because we offer someone doesn't mean they're the ones we're going to actually go after. I think Dabo and staff will give just about anyone (who is a choice talent) a chance if they want to sign with Clemson (thus, all the offers) but the ones they recruit hard are the ones with high character and morals to go with the talent.

Feb 19, 2015, 8:12 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: "A Clemson Man Needs No Introduction" spills over into recruiting ]

Your trying to hard or you can't comprehend what the article is saying. Of course other schools want the players Clemson is recruiting. We are recruiting the best academically and athletically. The article was saying that Clemson doesn't have to compete with other schools for these kids because they are a fit for Clemson.

Many times you have players who have offers from SCAR and Clemson but depending on the type of person they are they gravitate to one university or the other. These Clemson men are the guys Dabo really focus on and it makes it easier because they also understand the type of player Clemson is trying to recruit.

Also you are mistaken by what the word 'and' means. Your statement

"92% of USC recruits had offers from Clemson and UGA" should have been Clemson or UGA

Clemson only offered 10 of SCar's 30 commits.

null

Feb 19, 2015, 8:15 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: "A Clemson Man Needs No Introduction" spills over into recruiting ]

Your numbers don't make any sense. Just go back and read them. I do agree that most of our recruits are offered by other schools, but wouldn't you agree that an extremely talented kid with high character will be recruited by every school?

I think what we should take away from this is that the future at Clemson is bright. We just brought in a highly rated recruiting class, in the midst of a lot of chaos, which seemingly has zero divas in it. It's going to be exciting to watch it all play out.

Go Tigers!

Feb 19, 2015, 10:15 AM

I think that they see some character issues with some we sign. But I also think that those issues are discussed with those recruits before Dabo will actually bring them in. Dabo lets them know if there are any serious incidents with them, there won't be any second or third chances. I'm sure he stresses to them how important Clemson's reputation is to him and everyone else in the Clemson program. With the most of our recruits wanting to do things the right way, it makes it easier for everyone to do what's right.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You can't expect a coot to understand how to do math***

Feb 19, 2015, 2:04 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: "A Clemson Man Needs No Introduction" spills over into recruiting ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Of the 30 recruits $CU signed, Clemson offered 10 of them

Feb 19, 2015, 8:28 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: "A Clemson Man Needs No Introduction" spills over into recruiting ]

but then, Clemson doesn't typically offer JuCo's

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Feb 19, 2015, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: "A Clemson Man Needs No Introduction" spills over into recruiting ]

Every time you post you sound more ignorant. So 98% of Clemson recruits had offers to usc and uga but 100% had offers to usc uga and nc state? That's a mathematic impossibility. It is also two completely different things to offer a kid and to recruit a kid.

The cluckers made the conscious decision years ago....

Feb 19, 2015, 8:03 AM

They were (and still are) so desperate for athletic success that they knowingly, willingly and gladly compromised what little was left of the character and integrity of not only their student-athletes and the University, but their coaches too in an attempt to win more games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: The cluckers made the conscious decision years ago....

Feb 19, 2015, 8:05 AM

sad but true!!!!!!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The cluckers made the conscious decision years ago....

Feb 19, 2015, 8:06 AM [ in reply to The cluckers made the conscious decision years ago.... ]

Blackshear is accused of breaking into a house and stealing things - not good at all may be very bad guy but this recruiting stuff is so hard I really appreciate what Scott and others do. How many 4 stars turn out to be bums, how many 2 stars actually make an impact, schools put their best foot forward to show a recruit the best things about the school, kids show the school the best manners etc when dealing with them. Seems very difficult to be able to tell a bad seed when you aren't around them all the time.

Clear case in point

Blackshear Offer list

Bama
Uga
Clemson
Unc
Nc state
Florida
So car

Message was edited by: kiknchkn®

Get off your sister for a sec and listen up.

Feb 19, 2015, 8:10 AM

Ever wonder why we keep recruiting players like Mark Fields, but back off players like Blackshear?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Re: Get off your sister for a sec and listen up.

Feb 19, 2015, 8:16 AM

Well Blackshear committed early then tore his acl and didn't play this year so lots of schools backed off

The bottom line is common sense says you win some you lose some.

Tell me how we can knock Blackshear and not discuss Joe Craig who hit his girl with a towel rod and was sliced by a razor blade

Some 2 stars are home runs some 4 stars are bums. Some nice guys turn bad some bad guys clean up.

I would have bet DJ Swag would have gotten in trouble for something in college and even in the NFL once he got some cash. Turns out the Texans say he is the perfect combo of professionalism with drive with physical ability to be great

Even Nuk says he is a great teammate but we would have all labeled him a thug

What's this "we" stuff.....coot!***

Feb 19, 2015, 8:17 AM

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Yet somehow Swag slipped through the cracks.***

Feb 19, 2015, 8:09 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Turnipseed wasn't here when we recruited Kelly

Feb 19, 2015, 8:12 AM

I also think the coaches believe they can push along the maturation process on some recruits. Look at Dwayne Allen when he got to campus versus the grown up that graduated. Then look at Mike Bellamy when he got to campus and the early exit before his freshman season was over.

His comments on screening recruits Twitter behavior

Feb 19, 2015, 5:07 PM

do not jive with our recruitment of Chad Kelly.

So you are saying that Turnipseed failed

Feb 19, 2015, 9:43 PM

because he didn't tell Swinney that Swag was not what CU was looking for when he was recruited? Funny, I think Alabama might have gotten upset with him doing that instead of his job... http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208336361

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With all his success, his highest salary was $25,000 a year. The president of the university, Dr. R. F. Poole, feared that professors who earned less would be upset. "He called me up and said that he didn't want me to tell anybody what I made," Howard once said. "I said: 'Doc, you don't have to worry. I'm as ashamed as you are of what you pay me.' " - Frank Howard Obituary, New York Times, 01/27/1996

No, that is not what I'm saying. Turnipseed has done an

Feb 20, 2015, 10:58 AM

excellent job at both Alabama and Clemson. You are probably looking for a straw man to argue with.

The one token clucker trying his best....

Feb 19, 2015, 8:56 AM [ in reply to Yet somehow Swag slipped through the cracks.*** ]

To discount this article....

Is laughable!

These kids have two choices:

A. They can come play for a coach (Spurrier) that shows up at times inebriated to press conferences and goes shirtless & flip flops at practice, routinely throws his players under the bus when they lose, NEVER Mentions his "future" at his prospective school.... Other than leaving soon......OR they can come play for....

B. A coach (Dabo) that espouses charecter FIRST before athletic ability, has NEVER been seen in public intoxicated, conducts himself with class and humility in front of media, gives credit to his PLAYERS when they win, takes blame on himself when the team underperformed, talks of his future at CLEMSON always saying "we" and not "I ", loves where he is at, etc....

What's not to understand chicken crap??

You think kids with real charecter don't pick up on this??

One institution is being guided by a man collecting a "paycheck"

The other (Clemson) is being guided by a LEADER!

Go Tigers!!!!

Re: The one token clucker trying his best....

Feb 19, 2015, 10:41 AM

You just hit on the one thing that I love most about, not only Dabo, but all the coaching staff at Clemson, especially coach V. They ALWAYS take the blame when things go wrong. Even last year as Stoudt struggled, NEVER was he thrown under the bus by the coaching staff. The fans wanting to see Cole drawn and quartered, but the coaches always took up for him. A lot of fans considered this to be a weakness amongst the coaches, but I see it as one of the greatest strength in the Clemson football culture. Things like that lead to respect amongst the team for their coaches. And if athletes respect and admire their coaches, they will go that extra mile, that extra 10%, for them. And that, my friends, is a winning culture.

Yet it appears that he plays for a different program.

Feb 19, 2015, 9:38 AM [ in reply to Yet somehow Swag slipped through the cracks.*** ]

One more accepting of his character flaws.

GO TIGERS!!

Re: Yet somehow Swag slipped through the cracks.***

Feb 19, 2015, 10:42 AM [ in reply to Yet somehow Swag slipped through the cracks.*** ]

I very much doubt that he slipped through any cracks. Being that he came from what we believed was a high character family, I think that Dabo and Chad thought that they could've kept his temper tantrums to a controllable state. They knew that he had had problems with his spouting off with his mouth in HS. But you can't in no way say that coming from a well to do family as CK came from, that he wasn't worth the chance that they could keep him chilled while turning him into a better more respectable person. Usually kids like Chad don't carry those disruptive family issues with them some where else. Usually, you don't even know that they had disruptive family issues. But when CK was put to the test, all of his spoiled brat issues boiled over even at Clemson also. I actually think that his family felt that Dabo, The Chad, and Clemson was going to be great at helping to fix CK's character problems.

Look, I thouroughly support the way Dabo runs the program

Feb 19, 2015, 5:05 PM

and the way he recruits, but this article involves some over the top propaganda. Chad Kelly was a well-known d-bag and his posts on Twitter were about as embarrassing as they could get.

Some of the stuff Turnipseed is saying described the opposite of Chad Kelly. And that's not an attempt to deny our relatively high standards of behavior, because we obviously have that, but it's to say that we are not as rigidly selective in recruiting kids as the wording of this article suggests.

Turnipseed was at the University of Alabama

Feb 19, 2015, 9:46 PM

when Swag was recruited. He's only had this program in place for a year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With all his success, his highest salary was $25,000 a year. The president of the university, Dr. R. F. Poole, feared that professors who earned less would be upset. "He called me up and said that he didn't want me to tell anybody what I made," Howard once said. "I said: 'Doc, you don't have to worry. I'm as ashamed as you are of what you pay me.' " - Frank Howard Obituary, New York Times, 01/27/1996

I was under the impression that we were recruiting based on

Feb 20, 2015, 11:00 AM

character before Turnipseed got here. Dabo has always been a coach that heavily emphasizes character.

Yes, because he's still on the football team, huh??

Feb 19, 2015, 3:01 PM [ in reply to Yet somehow Swag slipped through the cracks.*** ]

That looks like slipped through?

good article, as usual, Mr Hood***

Feb 19, 2015, 8:41 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Another element of Dabo's inordinate insight is revealed

Feb 19, 2015, 9:14 AM

Dabo's willingness to direct the culture of the football program has an amazing ripple effect which should make it still easier to recruit quality student-athletes, become a bit of a media darling, influence the culture at the university and with the success of all this, begin the positively effect the culture in surrounding areas. All of which leads to still easier recruiting and wins and the cycle continues. Think about the impact on HS football; you wanna play for Clemson you better study and keep your nose clean. I do not want to fail to acknowledge Bowden's role in this as I believe he leaned in this direction, but lightning seems to have struck and Dabo is better able to have his way.

Feb 19, 2015, 9:43 AM

This really is what sets Clemson apart from almost all other programs. It resonates with Mothers and Fathers, and it resonates with these high character types we really go after who have tried to live up to a standard of excellence. I really admire what we are. There really is something special in those hills, and Dabo and his staff have nurtured it to a new, and even better, level. We are reaping the rewards very regularly now, IMO, and I am loving it!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2015, 9:50 AM

I wish that tnet had those same standards

Feb 19, 2015, 11:07 AM

:) yes sir. Keeping negative Clemson coots out would be a great start. When they come to talk FB and be respectful to Clemson, I don't have serious problem with that. But the coots that come here with full intentions of being as disrespectful and anti Clemson as they can be, should be ban for ever without a warning. Their first time to be their last time. That would make T-Net a much, much better place for actual Tiger fans, even for the coots that come for just talking sports.

Feb 19, 2015, 11:07 AM

I wish the coaches would take a page out of Cornel Sanders' play book, don't give away the recipe...

Question about the social media character thingy:

Feb 19, 2015, 11:21 AM

Do our coaches get sarcasm?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2015, 1:38 PM

Not only is character emphasized, academics are important and our staff expects the student-athletes to go do class, study, take advantage of academic assistance and to graduate! I am very proud of Coach Swinney's graduation rate. The majority of these kids will never see the NFL but they will have a Clemson degree.

i like this.***

Feb 19, 2015, 2:39 PM

Feb 21, 2015, 9:50 AM

"CHARACTER" !You mean to say thst our rival down in Cootlumbia doesn't recruit
"Character".
I am still in awe how they let Shameus Jameis go to that
other school that also recruits 'character".

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic