Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Spring Breakdown: Tight Ends
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 3,217

New Story: Spring Breakdown: Tight Ends

Feb 18, 2015, 8:01 AM

Spring Breakdown: Tight Ends

Jordan Leggett will have his hands full this spring fending off the challenge of redshirt freshmen Milan Richard and Cannon Smith. Both youngsters are talented and will be looking to grab a starting spot. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most disappointing position in 2014

Feb 18, 2015, 11:48 AM

We were spoiled but this was an underwhelming group last fall. Cooper had a freak injury, Stanton is just terrible at blocking, Leggett doesn't seem to have the heart to play at this level, Jay Jay - I have no idea what he has done but trust the coaches that he doesn't deserve PT, Greenlee is not a TE, so I think the freshmen will get a huge opportunity this fall. It would have really helped Cole out if one of these guys would have stepped up last year.

I'm not a huge Pearman fan but am hopeful he can get someone to play at the level we got accustomed to starting with Palmer.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Most disappointing position in 2014

Feb 18, 2015, 10:54 PM

I would agree this group was disappointing. It has been trending that way since Allen left. More talent on this group than has shown. We need them to step it up

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

QB was the most disappointing aka Cole

Feb 18, 2015, 12:44 PM

After the off season talk and hearing him talk about how ready he was, QB was by far most disappointing, especially after Watson's injury. Tight ends would have had more catches and TD's if it wasn't for QB

Re: QB was the most disappointing aka Cole

Feb 18, 2015, 12:45 PM

2 months later and you are still dogging cole. classy. real classy

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2015, 12:51 PM

Not dogging him, stating what happened. He said TE's were biggest disappointment, why not say something to him? Those guys work their butt off blocking, catching, weight room, every single day. TE's were open on multiple occasions, we didn't have anyone to get them the ball after DW4 went down. Plain and simple

Feb 18, 2015, 3:10 PM

IMO after looking at the whole picture of the entire season. In our bowl game Cole was the man of the hour, and we have to believe that Cole's improvement came from Brandon Streeter's full time attention. That alone tells me personally that Chad Morris bit off more than he could chew and choked away the amount of time that college QBs need from a QB coach. Brandon works with Cole full time for about 3 weeks, and we saw a Cole that none of us has seen through out his Clemson career. I'm convinced that Chad had way to much on his plate to give Cole, Tajh, or even DW the time to become a polish QB. He was stretched to thin with his time, and with Cole not being that duel threat type QB. Chad didn't have the time Cole really needed to perform well in his system. I hope that we're never without a full time QBs coach ever again, and one that was a good college QB like Brandon Streeter. I bet if Brandon knew what he knows now about the QB position when he played, he would have been unstoppable!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2015, 12:52 PM [ in reply to Re: QB was the most disappointing aka Cole ]

Is that you Cole? I apologize if I hurt your feelings

Feb 18, 2015, 3:11 PM

I was most disappointed in the offensive play calling that ruined Coles season! Or should I say defensive offensive play calling! I think we finally saw what he could do in the bowl game when he was allowed to run an unpredictable offense! I don't think Cole was an allstar but he was nowhere near as bad as the Chad made him look!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2015, 2:32 AM

Is it at all possible that Cole's poor performance was part Cole, part Chad, part o-line?

I have mentioned before that Cole isn't built to run the Clemson offense. He doesn't have "take-off speed," meaning when the QB draw is called and the hole opened up, he could not get 4-5 yards needed to be dangerous. Opposing defenses knew that. Since they figure this, they loaded the box. Chad mentioned the past 4 seasons that Tajh Boyd's "detriment" was that he took "too many chances" instead of taking what the defense gave him. It is the effectiveness of Cole to "make a profit." Hence, he took check down after check down and never would "take the lid" off of opposing defenses by completing the deep pass. Defenses knew that too. So how do you effectively take away those two features? Put 8 in the box and send a blitzer every so often to rattle the less than mobile QB. Chad never took that option away from defenses, but Tony Elliott did. Case in point, Oklahoma did just what I mentioned in the bowl game. It is why our running game wasn't explosive against them in that 40-6 rout. Its the reason Syracuse, Boston College, and Wake Forest seem to have played well against us. It is the reason South Carolina had success when Cole was in the game. Against Oklahoma, Cole showed he could throw that touch pass even under pressure, as he nailed Hopper in the end zone.

Chad also did not have time to get into logistics with Stoudt. In game situations, Cole needed a coach that could go over the stills of what went right and wrong and how to correct what went wrong. Chad Morris did not have that time during the game. He had to go over with other coaches what worked and what didn't. Streeter gave Cole that option of review, summary, and reset. This is not to call Morris a bad coach. Just a coach who needs a QB who could evaluate himself. Tajh Boyd wasn't great at that either but was athletic enough to hide it. DeShaun Watson is much better at it and it showed when he did play. Also, Chad never tailored a game plan that fit the less than mobile QB. Hence the reason the game was night and day when Cole was on the field vs. when DeShaun was on the field.

Finally, an ineffective offense line will make the best QBs look ordinary. Given the fact that our O-Line lacked depth, they did not help Cole all that much in 2014. What you saw in the bowl game was a little more depth in the O-Line. Cole could not mask that ineffectiveness much like DeShaun could due to his athleticism. When the protection broke down, defenses could not contain Watson. They could Stoudt.

Cole is a really good QB. He proved that in the NFLPA game. He can make the throws. He just needed the ability to reflect on in-game performance. Chad couldn't provide that. Cole needed a consistent front 5 and he didn't have that until Oklahoma. Knowing that he was sharing time with a phenom didn't help matters either.....

Re: ^^BOOM^^

Feb 20, 2015, 8:26 AM

Imagine if Brandon Streeter was at Clemson this time last year. Imagine if the Chad wasn't so single tracked in pushing his agenda. From the Georgia game on, Cole was looking over his shoulder. He, and we, already new Deshaun was going to play in that first quarter. "ImissCJ" is not a student of the game and wants to blame Cole for everything. Cole was a head case, but when you step back and look at the whole picture, you can almost see why. There was no magical rebuild of Cole Stoudt from the regular season debacle to the bowl victory. Just coaches understanding how to effectively utilize what was already in their toolbox. Now, let's move on.

Feb 18, 2015, 3:59 PM [ in reply to QB was the most disappointing aka Cole ]

more chicken.

Re: New Story: Spring Breakdown: Tight Ends

Feb 18, 2015, 3:24 PM

Teach them the art of blocking Pearman

I hope

Feb 18, 2015, 10:06 PM

he doesn't use that clip as an example or else we will need to be 10 deep at the position for the concussions and neck injuries that will result.

Re: New Story: Spring Breakdown: Tight Ends

Feb 19, 2015, 1:53 AM

This is the skill position I worry about the most coming into 2015. Hopefully, added depth on the offensive line frees up some of this talent. We shall see.....

Replies: 14
| visibility 3,217
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic