Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Elite 2016 linebacker talks Clemson visit, engineering program
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

New Story: Elite 2016 linebacker talks Clemson visit, engineering program

Feb 10, 2015, 7:01 AM

Elite 2016 linebacker talks Clemson visit, engineering program

Tre Lamar has been a frequent visitor to Clemson’s campus since August. However, his junior day visit last month was less about football and more about getting the lay of Clemson’s campus and a feel for the every day life of a student athlete. Where do the Tigers stand with Lamar? Who did he spend time with talking about Clemson's engineering program? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I couldn't imagine studying engineering and playing

Feb 10, 2015, 7:33 AM

football. Even taking 12 hour semesters would be tough. You've got to be crazy smart or have crazy work ethic to pull that off. I know Elliot did, so he's a great recruiter for this kid. This kid is a great pick-up for anyone.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree

Feb 10, 2015, 7:47 AM

As a CE grad I know there are some opportunities for spare time but there are some weeks where you can barely find the time to sleep. With a good work ethic and support structure it can be done.

Re: I couldn't imagine studying engineering and playing

Feb 10, 2015, 8:13 AM [ in reply to I couldn't imagine studying engineering and playing ]

I agree, it wouldn't be easy. I know Tyler Shatley and Taylor Watson are/were Civil Engineering majors. I had quite a few classes with Tyler, and I still don't know how he did it. It definitely takes great work ethic and discipline to pull it off.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2015, 9:40 AM [ in reply to I couldn't imagine studying engineering and playing ]

I graduated in ME in four years and four summer sessions and it was incredibly demanding at that time. (67).

Feb 10, 2015, 10:08 AM [ in reply to I couldn't imagine studying engineering and playing ]

I had a buddy the graduated with me in ME that played baseball. His GPA was 3.5 in the fall and 2.6 in the spring. There is only so much time in the day. I know some walkons that have been able to do it, but do not remember the any high level athletes.

Our OC Tony Elliot graduated above 3.5 in engineering

Feb 10, 2015, 2:15 PM

but yeah it is rare

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How is Georgia not in his top 5?

Feb 10, 2015, 8:09 AM

Considering he lives in GA? Oh well, our advantage i guess. Clemson has one of the best engineering programs in the country so that's definitely a plus that he wants to major in engineering. I don't want to jynx anything but for some reason i have a feeling we will get this guy. Hopefully im right

If he's serious about Engineering it is hard to imagine that

Feb 10, 2015, 8:35 AM

he chooses any of those other schools in his top 5 over Clemson. We are definitely the best engineering school in the bunch, and I believe that we also have the best infrastructure to support student-athletes with the "student" portion of their titles. That is always important, but especially so if a student is serious about an engineering degree AND playing football. Best of luck to him...sounds like he definitely has his head on straight.

null

Re: How is Georgia not in his top 5?

Feb 10, 2015, 8:59 AM [ in reply to How is Georgia not in his top 5? ]

UGA isn't exactly known for their engineering. UGA's engineering school is for folks in Georgia who couldn't get into Georgia Tech. Kinda like USC's is for folks in SC who couldn't get into Clemson.

Re: How is Georgia not in his top 5?

Feb 10, 2015, 9:36 AM [ in reply to How is Georgia not in his top 5? ]

Roswell is a suburb of Atlanta. Kids in this area go to school all over. Clemson is highly regarded at Roswell High.

Only one of his top 5 schools is in the top 20 CE schools

Feb 10, 2015, 8:31 AM

in the country. Guess which one?

http://best-engineering-colleges.com/civil-engineering

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

If he is serious about getting The Best mix of CFB & Civil

Feb 10, 2015, 8:55 AM

Engineering then the other schools in his top 5 aren't even close compared to Clemson!! Right off the bat he should remove Miss St, SCar & probably UT. That leaves Clemson & Bama. You can get to the pro level in football by starting and playing very well at either of those schools, so that is a wash. However, your future earning potential (after college or pro career) is about 30% higher with a CE degree from Clemson vs Bama, UT and the others. When evaluating the decision that way, it's a no-brainer!!! ACC schools are starting to get more & more elite athletes with brain power because of the substantial earning potential after football.....to bad the ESPNs of the world don't talk much about that fact!! The reason ESPN and others don't talk about this is because they could really care less about the athletes and their future after football....they only care about their immediate ratings....some media machine needs to expose this even more so!! The smart athletes know this and make the sound decision based on athletics & quality of academics!!

Clemson grads dominate the FE exam, are those results

Feb 10, 2015, 9:28 AM

public? I'm a Clemson Comp Sci major but I know you civil and ME grads take great pride in the FE and PE. I've heard from friends Clemson has a 90% pass rate, any truth to this? This kid should be a lock for us if this truly is his goal. Go Tigers!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson grads dominate the FE exam, are those results

Feb 10, 2015, 9:29 AM

Scratch that, proud comp sci alum

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Three engineers discussing what kind of engineer God is...

Feb 10, 2015, 9:29 AM

... to come up with the miracle of the human form.

The first said "God must be a Chemical Engineer, because look at the wonderful chemical machine that is the human body. Clockwork interaction of jillions of molecules to make what we are."

The next said, "No, he's a mechanical engineer. All those molecules of yours work together to make a skeleton and muscles that move with precision and a nervous system capable of autonomous control. It's beautiful."

The third said "You're both wrong. He's a civil engineer." He pointed at a hot chick walking by and said "How else could he ever get away with putting waste disposal facilities in the middle of a recreational area?"

#lame

Next time, vote Jabba like you're supposed to.

brilliant***

Feb 10, 2015, 9:31 AM

+1...***

Feb 10, 2015, 10:09 AM [ in reply to Three engineers discussing what kind of engineer God is... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson has the BEST CE program of the bunch ... AND

Feb 10, 2015, 10:11 AM

I would think to be successful in playing Football AND majoring in CE, you would want the Spring AND Summer to be the "heavier" academic load, Fall of course, easier ...

I guess it requires careful planning and hopefully, availability of classes at a given time

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic