Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Muse talks weekend visit, playing baseball and football
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

New Story: Muse talks weekend visit, playing baseball and football

Jan 19, 2015, 7:01 AM

Muse talks weekend visit, playing baseball and football

Tanner Muse got the best of both worlds during his visit to Clemson this past weekend, spending time with football head coach Dabo Swinney and baseball head coach Jack Leggett. What was the message from both coaches?
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Muse talks weekend visit, playing baseball and football

Jan 19, 2015, 8:28 AM

I would not have recognized Leggett in that picture because I am so used to seeing him in uniform not in civilian clothes

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2015, 8:29 AM

I hope I'm wrong, but I get the feeling he will be drafted high enough by MLB that he will almost have to give it a try.

Jan 19, 2015, 8:47 AM

If I had to guess, I'd say he'll never play a down at Clemson. Wishing him blessings for whatever sport. At least he chose The Tigers. ??

Jan 19, 2015, 9:29 AM

When will a free education ever matter to these kids? And where are the parents? Short term gains for long term losses? Sad!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

More like a free PRTM degree.***

Jan 19, 2015, 10:00 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Said by someone who doesn't realize that people

Jan 19, 2015, 8:45 PM

come from all over the country and Canada to study Parks Management at Clemson. Only aTm and Penn. State have more notable Parks programs.

A free education that is supposed to set you up for a career

Jan 19, 2015, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Muse talks weekend visit, playing baseball and football ]

And the career is to set you up to manage your life. But what if you can get to the height of your career earlier? I don't know what Muse's draft potential is or what his future in baseball might be so I'm not commenting on his decision. But in general, if you can still reach the top of your chosen profession, why not get a start on it earlier? Its not as if he is passing up on a free education to go screw around for a year or more.

If they sign

Jan 19, 2015, 10:25 AM

straight out of high school, doesn't the MBL team they sign with have to offer some money towards going to college?
Hope he gets an eduacation either way, but I think this guy can be a special player at Clemson.
Go Tigers!!

Don't think it is mandatory

Jan 19, 2015, 10:29 AM

but a lot of players that also have plans to go to college will negotiate that into the contract.

Re: A free education that is supposed to set you up for a career

Jan 19, 2015, 7:02 PM [ in reply to A free education that is supposed to set you up for a career ]

Great, so what does he do when that career is over, probsbly before his 30th birthday? Go on social security? As I said, a short term gain for a long term loss.

Paying for college on the backend will be part of his

Jan 19, 2015, 10:25 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Muse talks weekend visit, playing baseball and football ]

baseball contract as protection on the backend in case he wallows in the minors.

Jan 19, 2015, 1:05 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Muse talks weekend visit, playing baseball and football ]

I agree, its free, why not get it. There is absolutely no guaranty at all with pro sports. An idiot could run a red light and sports could be a thing of the past.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2015, 9:40 AM

Hope he decides to play both sports at Clemson. If you look at the averages, very few make it to MLB going into the minors straight out of high school. College education is a big plus to have when you don't make it after languishing in the minors for 5 years. Playing both sports at the Collegiate level will give him the opportunity to have possibly 2 career paths in addition to his College Degree. GO TIGERS!!!

Jan 19, 2015, 10:10 AM

I'm rather curious whether the dual-sports topic came up early enough. Remember, Kyle Parker came aboard in January and played baseball right away. Was Muse not interested in doing the same, or was the subject never discussed? Or...would early enrollment have removed him from draft eligibility?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think once they attend

Jan 19, 2015, 10:21 AM

a class they're ineligalbe for the draft.
I think this is one player that has both Dabo and Leggett excited.
Go Tigers!!

Parker enrolled early so he wouldn't be drafted

Jan 19, 2015, 10:24 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Muse talks weekend visit, playing baseball and football ]

he didn't want to have to make the decision. Sounds like Muse wants to find out what his potential might be.

And yes, as soon as he steps foot on the college campus, he's not draft eligible for 3 years (or turns 21)

Jan 19, 2015, 8:36 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Muse talks weekend visit, playing baseball and football ]

With his obvious need to put on bulk, I doubt he could do it trying to
play two sports. At this level of competition, there seem to be few athletes
who can really manage it. I'd say choose one or the other and then try and excel
at it.

He is going to get drafted...

Jan 19, 2015, 10:26 AM

Its just a matter of which round...I personally think it will be in the first 5 rounds...He is wayyy too fast not to get drafted in those rounds...Make no mistake about it folks, this kid can play some baseball...Some say he is better at baseball than he is football...sooo

Prospects know the drill when it comes to situation like these...He will likely use Clemson as a bargaining chip for a higher signing bonus...Franceour didn't want to get drafted by anyone but Atlanta and told teams that he would go to Clemson if they drafted him...The same with McCann, but UGA instead of Clemson...For baseball prospects, committing to a college is a "just in case" basis when you are projected in the early rounds of the MLB draft...Look fwd to this situation panning out as it can open up a scholly, which is the only bad thing...Sorry Orr

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Agreed

Jan 19, 2015, 10:30 AM

he's going to get drafted, but even if it's high enough for him to sign, there's still a chance he could play football at Clemson.
Has anyone on here stood at the plate and seen a major league curve ball?
WOW! No wonder so many don't make it out of the minors!
Go Tigers!!

Re: Agreed

Jan 19, 2015, 10:35 AM

I read in an article that baseball players that get drafted out of high school have a .5% chance of making it to the big show...thats 1 in 200.....That stat is very overwhelming

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

That stat is from pre-2012

Jan 19, 2015, 10:45 AM

when they had unlimited number of rounds and teams drafted just about anyone because they retained the rights for a full year. That stat also included high school players that were drafted and went to college.

College players do have a higher percentage of making the majors than high school. But I would think that 3 years of organized ball of any sort would make a huge difference in likelihood of going to the show. Teams draft high school players on potential and college players on results.

Re: That stat is from pre-2012

Jan 19, 2015, 8:47 PM

Whatever, I don't think he is going to play to play LB at Clemson weighing
205. That means he would have to be red-shirted his first year in order to
get him up to an effective playing weight. I don't see him doing that if he's
as good at baseball as everyone thinks, then I suspect he will try and make it
in pro baseball. I think we have LB's coming up and coming in who are already
at 235 or 240.

Jan 19, 2015, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Agreed ]

and it's shocking how many top 10 prospects never make it to the majors.
Go Tigers!!

Jan 19, 2015, 8:52 PM

Obviously the odds are against him. But, it's his life. Also, the
odds are probably stacked against him being willing to do the massive
grunt work in the weight room that would enable him to play LB at Clemson.
I don't know, but I doubt he'll ever play a down at Clemson.

Jan 19, 2015, 1:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Agreed ]

Yep, the signing bonus with 95% of the ones that are drafted out of HS will be the biggest money they ever received from baseball!!!

If he goes pro, he won't play football

Jan 19, 2015, 10:36 AM [ in reply to Agreed ]

This is just my gut feeling, but if he is drafted high enough that he is willing to skip college, that team is going to invest too much to allow him to play football too.

This is a little different from Parker who had leverage or Roscoe Crosby who the Royals took without really talking to him. My guess is that if Muse goes top 3 or 5 rounds, that team will have cleared it with him that they will get his full attention. The draft money slots have made draft picks too valuable to risk.

Again, just 100% my gut thinking. You could be 100% right that he manages to do both.

Re: If he goes pro, he won't play football

Jan 19, 2015, 10:39 AM

The actual draft is June 10th....So he will be playing some major major catch up if he chooses to enroll....

Thanks

Jan 19, 2015, 10:44 AM [ in reply to If he goes pro, he won't play football ]

I should have said I meant if he doesn't make it in baseball.
But yes, they'll have too much invested to allow him to play both. Pro ball is really a year round job now, winter ball and all.
Didn't play any MLB but have a friend that was a pitcher. Just thinking about that curve ball was enough to make me ready to bail out at the plate!
Go Tigers!!

True, he could be a Chris Wienke

Jan 19, 2015, 10:48 AM

that is always a possibility.

But yes, its crazy the talent it takes to hit a major league pitcher. Its not just that they can throw 90+ or have a 12 to 6 curve. But that they can throw both and you have to know which one is coming in 0.6 seconds.

Guess why

Jan 19, 2015, 10:50 AM

you can make 3-4 million a year as a journeyman in the majors.
Go Tigers!!

Re: If he goes pro, he won't play football

Jan 19, 2015, 8:57 PM [ in reply to If he goes pro, he won't play football ]

Playing QB at 205 is a different story than trying to play LB at 6'4'' 205 at a
program like Clemson.

Jan 19, 2015, 10:36 AM [ in reply to Agreed ]

I know I have personally played with or against ALOT of guys that have gotten drafted but the ones that really actually made it was Justin Smoak, Matt Weiters, and Brett Gardner

Re: He is going to get drafted...

Jan 19, 2015, 8:38 PM [ in reply to He is going to get drafted... ]

I agree. Good post.

If we did not set him up to talk to Matthew Crownover

Jan 19, 2015, 12:39 PM

we missed the boat. Matthew's parents are teachers and influenced his decision to attend college, plus staying when he could have opted to turn pro. Very few make it to the bigs, so a college education and the experiences, priceless. Hoping for the right decision from him.

Re: If we did not set him up to talk to Matthew Crownover

Jan 19, 2015, 7:06 PM

Thank you. My point exactly.

Re: If we did not set him up to talk to Matthew Crownover

Jan 19, 2015, 8:13 PM

He' a great athlete, but at 6'4" and weighing 205, he's not going to
play LB at Clemson. At that height, he needs to weigh 240, and that will take
a lot of work in the weight room. He could play baseball at that weight, and I'm
wondering if that will influence his decision. I hope he decides to come here and
put in the work. Even if he's drafted, his chances of making it in pro baseball
are slim.

Jan 19, 2015, 8:38 PM

This is why we need to sign another DB. Sorry nothing against the kid, but this is the same as not being committed. Who cares if it is for the pros or another college. I would go after another DB and if he decides to come then oversign and figure it out. The chances are slim that he plays a down at Clemson unless things do not work out in pro baseball.

Jan 19, 2015, 8:58 PM

his mom strykes my fancy

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic