Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Final thoughts: Stoops talks to Watson, playcalling and the Sooners' big line
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

New Story: Final thoughts: Stoops talks to Watson, playcalling and the Sooners' big line

Dec 30, 2014, 4:22 PM

Final thoughts: Stoops talks to Watson, playcalling and the Sooners' big line

There are plenty of observations and news and notes from Monday's bowl win over Oklahoma, including Bob Stoops talking to Deshaun Watson, Clemson's coaches feeling good about their chances against the Sooners' big offensive line and more. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FINALLY - admit that Morris was not the right coach for Cole

Dec 30, 2014, 4:43 PM

Morris lost confidence in Cole prematurily - after first intercept in Gawja game after otherwise good first half. Remember all those bubble screens and 3 and out in second half which hurt D. Morris was deathly afraid of intercepts as Dabo preached so much against turnovers.
Then Morris publicly and mistakenly admitted "20 plays for Cole" prior to GT game. Morris finally thought he had DW for rest of year. When he went out early against GT, the GT D admitted they had the 20 plays down pat. Glad Morris is gone, if he had still been here, I don't think Cole would have had that kind of game in the Bowl.
New coaches made all the difference!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FINALLY - admit that Morris was not the right coach for Cole

Dec 30, 2014, 4:53 PM

I got your back here too! :) It won't be long before BryantTiger and his goons show up . . .;)

Dec 30, 2014, 4:54 PM [ in reply to FINALLY - admit that Morris was not the right coach for Cole ]

Agree.
Chad Morris did not change with the talent of the qb. Coaches need to adapt to their player's strengths. Morris either refused to or could not adapt to Stoudt.
I think Morris was getting to big for his britches anyway.
GO TIGERS!

Dec 30, 2014, 5:51 PM

My problem with Morris was that if things went wrong or the other team made adjustments after we had been successful, it looked like he had no answer. Didn't look like he could make adjustments when Plan A went wrong. Offense sure looked good last night and it will be interesting to see how it goes when plan A goes wrong for the young guys. Be interesting to see how they handle adversity when it comes.

Dec 30, 2014, 5:21 PM [ in reply to FINALLY - admit that Morris was not the right coach for Cole ]

I knew it wouldn't take long for Stupid Posters to say something negative about Morris. This tops the list for dumb and stupid of the year.

Dec 30, 2014, 5:43 PM

I've been saying all year that Morris didn't seem to have confidence in Stoudt. You could see it from the beginning of the Georgia game and it never got better. Remember that Stoudt barely lost the starting job to Tajh Boyd and then never got another chance. Morris, for all that he did that was great, never liked Stoudt in the offense and didn't call plays for him. Heck, he didn't even
call the same plays as he did for Boyd and for Watson. Very few throws downfield, not a lot of chances for him to check off and make smart reads. Watson is the better talent, but the reason the offense bogged most of the year under Stoudt had a lot to do with the plays being called for him.

Absolutely correct! Thank you!***

Dec 30, 2014, 7:20 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2014, 8:54 PM [ in reply to Re: FINALLY - admit that Morris was not the right coach for Cole ]

> I've been saying all year that Morris didn't seem to
> have confidence in Stoudt. You could see it from the
> beginning of the Georgia game and it never got
> better. Remember that Stoudt barely lost the
> starting job to Tajh Boyd and then never got another
> chance. Morris, for all that he did that was great,
> never liked Stoudt in the offense and didn't call
> plays for him. Heck, he didn't even
> call the same plays as he did for Boyd and for
> Watson. Very few throws downfield, not a lot of
> chances for him to check off and make smart reads.
> Watson is the better talent, but the reason the
> e offense bogged most of the year under Stoudt had a
> lot to do with the plays being called for him.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agree completely with your post while still acknowledging that Morris did some great things while at Clemson.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2014, 11:29 PM

I also agree that CM did some great things for Clemson, and for that I thank him. However, the one thing Chad didn't seem to be able to do was make the BIG call in a BIG game when it was needed. He often resorted to trickery (like Sammy throwing the ball) in situations where it seemed he should just keep doing what was working. IMHO, Jeff and Tony did a great job Monday night, and I look forward to seeing what they can do for a full season in 2015.

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Come on y'all Chad did a great job for us. Enjoy our win!

Dec 30, 2014, 5:47 PM [ in reply to Re: FINALLY - admit that Morris was not the right coach for Cole ]

Why is it that everything good that happens for us someone has to put a negative spin on it?
Go Tigers!

Hard for some fans to let it go concerning players and

Dec 30, 2014, 6:43 PM

coaches regardless of how good or bad they have been. I'm thankful that Chad got our offense going while he was here but I believe that we will not miss a beat with the new co-cordinators and Streeter as the QB coach. Hope Chad has nothing but success at SMU, he deserves it.

I was saying this since the Louisville game!

Dec 30, 2014, 7:15 PM [ in reply to Re: FINALLY - admit that Morris was not the right coach for Cole ]

Not new from me and I was dead right on this too!

Amen brotha!***

Dec 30, 2014, 7:11 PM [ in reply to FINALLY - admit that Morris was not the right coach for Cole ]

Dec 30, 2014, 7:18 PM [ in reply to FINALLY - admit that Morris was not the right coach for Cole ]

To be fair I doubt that Cole has been fit after he took that shoulder injury and played most of the season injured. He had a little more time to get ready for the bowl game and was able to rest his injury some before that game.

LOL***

Dec 30, 2014, 10:51 PM [ in reply to FINALLY - admit that Morris was not the right coach for Cole ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do not bad mouth Coach Morris

Dec 30, 2014, 6:34 PM

If it were not for Chad Morris, we would have had the same anemic offense we had before he got here. Our two new coordinators got trained while he was here and I think that they have a connection with the players that he didn't, and this is where our team will be better in 2015. Chad was instrumental in making us a high powered offense, never forget that. Best of luck to him at SMU.

Re: Do not bad mouth Coach Morris

Dec 30, 2014, 6:53 PM

No disputing that. The point was he called plays differently for Stoudt than for Boyd or Watson.

If it were not for Dabo

Dec 30, 2014, 9:40 PM [ in reply to Do not bad mouth Coach Morris ]

We would not have brought Chad in to change our offense to one Dabo wanted to run here, and he tasked Chad into teaching the other coaches on the x's and o's of the offense so that when he left we would be fully capable of moving forward. Chad did what Dabo hired him to do. Plus he got the high level recognition to allow him to get a HC job that he desired. So it was a win win situation.

I do believe that the play calling and game planning was not designed to fit Stouts style by Morris and well as the new OC did for the bowl game.

Re: Do not bad mouth Coach Morris

Dec 30, 2014, 10:49 PM [ in reply to Do not bad mouth Coach Morris ]

I am not a coach, but I can recognize one. Morris acted like a head coach the whole time he was here, which is why he is a head coach again at SMU. He will be sorely missed, but I think his young replacements got a great start towards replacing Morris last night.

wish we werent losing almost all the defense

Dec 30, 2014, 6:59 PM

But coach BV is a defensive guru & can get these guys back to the top in no time. Glad Stoudt had the game of his career. The senior class couldnt have went out a better way. Congrats to them & the rest of the team.

Re: wish we werent losing almost all the defense

Dec 30, 2014, 7:00 PM

We aren't. We're losing depth, but most of the players starting next year saw significant playing time this year.

Dec 30, 2014, 7:03 PM

We will be fine. They have all spring and summer to be ready. That's a long ### time.

Dec 31, 2014, 10:02 AM [ in reply to Re: wish we werent losing almost all the defense ]

Agreed. We are loosing a lot but there won't be much drop off at linebacker, even
when loosing Stephone Anthony. We loose a lot on the D line -- can't replace
Jarret and Beasley easily, but there are a lot of underclassmen playing a lot
of snaps. In years past, as the front 7 were getting better, we gave up
big plays on the back side. This year the DBs came of age and as long
as we have a decent front 7 and don't give up too many big plays (which
we won't because of the improved DB play) we will have a top 15 defense.
Expect the OL to get healthy and the defense will get all the help
they need. Biggest question is whether Watson's backups will be
good and will they get decent playing time so that they are game
ready if he gets hurt again. Would be great if we have backups
as ready as Ohio State did this year.

I said this about Morris all year and was called a coot!

Dec 30, 2014, 7:09 PM

Vindication is so sweet! ??

Re: I said this about Morris all year and was called a coot!

Dec 30, 2014, 9:06 PM

Hufferbilly, I posted similar comments on another site and all the crazies came out there also. The point you are making was substantiated by Morris in his own words and probably read by the opposition. He limited his play calling when Stoudt was the QB.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I said this about Morris all year and was called a coot!

Dec 30, 2014, 9:55 PM [ in reply to I said this about Morris all year and was called a coot! ]

Me too. But don't expect anybody to acknowledge it. I brought it back up with a few of my more vocal detractors and was still called a moron after the game. To some people CM sits on the left hand of the throne and some of these same people actually believe that CM deserved to be the HC not Dabo. You can't have a logical discussion with people who don't use logic. Just quietly ponder these things in your heart and know that you were right and that your grip on reality is strong. Then go TD every last one them! ;)

There's another coach who might deserve some of the credit.

Dec 30, 2014, 7:40 PM

I think Coach Streeter might have had a lot to do with Stoudt's improved play last night.

Re: There's another coach who might deserve some of the credit.

Dec 30, 2014, 10:55 PM

How 'bout give a little credit to Stoudt? He was finally healthy and played with determination and passion. Great send off. I did not predict 40-6, but I was cautiously hopeful with preparation time and healing, he would have a good game.

I thought the play calling on both sides

Dec 31, 2014, 3:06 AM

Was near perfect, the offense was more unpredictable which was a good thing because OU couldn't figure out what plays we were going to do next, and defense just played lights out all game and that score they got at the end was because we let them score we could have easily shut them out. And while on the subject of Morris the two biggest complaints I had about him were he didn't change his play calling if it wasn't working or make halftime adjustments like Venables does on D and he didn't work with the QB'S like he should have to help improve there mechanics and footwork, but other than that Morris was a very solid OC he turned Clemson offense around and gave life back into the offensive side of ball. We shouldn't skip a beat with Elliott and Scott calling plays.

Re: New Story: Final thoughts: Stoops talks to Watson, playcalling and the Sooners' big line

Dec 31, 2014, 6:10 AM

Play calling.
I thought they were discussing Oklahoma's game plan,which was no game plan at all.

Final thoughts:

Dec 31, 2014, 11:34 AM

When I read that nikki steel picked Clemson to win the game, I felt better about our chances. To be honest she picks better then the rest of you. The turn overs by stout in the past made me cringe. But she made me think that maybe it was something she saw. I knew stout "was" good a one point , but thought he lost something a long the way. Well maybe it was morris not wanting stout playing. Maybe it was that he wanted Watson in there (as did we all) and just refused to change things to suit stout . That seems to have some truth to it. Maybe coach streeter redirected stout and righted the ship. Not sure well ever know for sure. But I did know with help, our D could dominate anyone in the country. It's so nice to see the glory days return to tigertown. I've been a tiger since pell was coach. And I can say with out a doubt. That was the best defense we've ever seen in orange. And it's only the beginning. We are back.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic