Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Playoff rankings and "movement" cost Clemson and ACC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 84
| visibility 1

New Story: Playoff rankings and "movement" cost Clemson and ACC

Dec 8, 2014, 3:42 PM

Playoff rankings and "movement" cost Clemson and ACC

The Citrus Bowl was right there. And then it wasn’t. Needless to say, the hijinks of Sunday afternoon’s College Football Playoff rankings and subsequent bowl selections were a little bit surprising, to say the least. And then, once you think about the politics of college football, you realize that you shouldn’t have been surprised at all and it wound up costing Clemson and the ACC. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Playoff rankings and "movement" cost Clemson and ACC

Dec 8, 2014, 3:46 PM

Also it was said that due to the B1G agreements Rutgers may have been left out of a bowl game if they sent a team to the Orange bowl. Not sure how that works because it is a 1 for 1 swap with the Citrus but apparently in years they send a team to the Orange bowl they lose a direct tie-in from the lineup.

null

Clemson has jumped better quality teams in the past

Dec 8, 2014, 4:42 PM

due to Clemson fan base traveling well, it stands that it could happen to us.

Granted the ranking changes were bizarre. I find the playoff committee more of a joke than the BCS and feel unless you include all of the conferences, scrap a playoff altogether and just go back to the old traditional AP voting.

Oklahoma is a fine match up against a classic team. The day on the calendar we play and name of the bowl is not that important to me in this years outcome.....We beat the coots!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Old rules don't (or shouldn't) apply. Attendance should not

Dec 8, 2014, 6:00 PM

be a factor in determining the best teams.

I realize we're way down the pecking order when we get to the Citrus and the Russell Athletic, but still, the committee is supposed to be ranking teams based on quality of play this year.

In the old days Clemson routinely jumped over teams with a better record because of fan support, but that's not supposed to be the case anymore.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're missing the point. It was an arbitrary boost in the

Dec 8, 2014, 9:59 PM [ in reply to Clemson has jumped better quality teams in the past ]

actual rankings which was needed to make the selection possible.

Dec 8, 2014, 3:47 PM

Well everyone didn't like the CPU's, so they wanted human logic involved. And when you get human logic involved you're going to get biased results. Now they can pick and choose on what they think will be the sexiest matchups for marketing. Same reason Bama and Oregon are 1-2, they've been tugging for them to be the National Title game for years now.

Dec 9, 2014, 4:44 AM

After everybody has said what ever it is they have to say. Thhe absolute fact is that the play offs as they like to call it, is still just as big of a fking joke as the AP voting on team position. Its still the very same as it was, but with fewer people doing the voting. But this way with fewer people doing the voting, its easier to get the teams they really want to be in the top slots. The very same fking joke except for it being even more laughable!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DRad was there, he needs to explain how this bs happened

Dec 8, 2014, 3:48 PM

And what he did to try to stop it!

the same DRad who wants to tear down LittleJohn and replace

Dec 8, 2014, 3:50 PM

it with a smaller arena?

brilliant mind right there. Makes TDP look like a AD savant.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: the same DRad who wants to tear down LittleJohn and replace

Dec 8, 2014, 7:37 PM

If you saw the attendance last night on the U, it would not have filled up the old Cow Palace, Fike Field House.

Re: DRad was there, he needs to explain how this bs happened

Dec 8, 2014, 3:56 PM [ in reply to DRad was there, he needs to explain how this bs happened ]

Same DRad that added to GT probation by bungling it? He probably cause this to happen. Zero confidence in him. He is pro DRad not pro Clemson

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: DRad was there, he needs to explain how this bs happened

Dec 8, 2014, 5:03 PM [ in reply to DRad was there, he needs to explain how this bs happened ]

Go ahead and get it out. Complain some more about something you know nothing about.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So DRad isnt on thr playoff committee?

Dec 8, 2014, 5:11 PM

Fail

*the

Dec 8, 2014, 5:12 PM

It happened because Clemson lost 3 games this year.

Dec 10, 2014, 2:54 AM [ in reply to DRad was there, he needs to explain how this bs happened ]

Pretty cut and dry.

Exactly my conclusion. CFPC throwing the OB a bone due

Dec 8, 2014, 3:51 PM

to their recent struggles and we were collateral damage.

Dec 8, 2014, 3:51 PM

For everyone that scoffs at the mere mention of a SEC bias, this article should be an enlightening read. According to what the POC has mandated, what's good for the SEC is far more important than any other conference! I hate the SEC and that sham of a playoff committee( yes that includes our used car salesman of an AD, D Rad) If this is how it's going to be from here on out......for those of us unlucky enough to be in a conference outside the SEC, we are screwed!

Dec 8, 2014, 5:46 PM

Hey...don't put "The Rad" together with used car salesmen...I think you owe them an apology. He's not a Clemson man and never will be one.

Might be closer to $3.5 Million lost by the ACC

Dec 8, 2014, 4:05 PM

With an ACC team not being selected to the Citrus Bowl, the ACC struck a deal with the Armed Forces Bowl just to find a game for the final bowl eligible team. The Armed Forces Bowl payout is a mere $675,000. So, that's a little over $3.5 million in lost revenue to the ACC.

Almost as smart as me^^^just types faster.***

Dec 8, 2014, 4:06 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

It actually cost more like $4m, we would have ADDED...

Dec 8, 2014, 4:05 PM

..the Citrus and dropped whatever the bottom bowl is the ACC put someone in...ACC keeps the RAB even if we got the Citrus.

Need to hear from the committee and Swofford - good grief the favoritism is unreal.

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Dec 8, 2014, 4:11 PM

I have asked several people that are fans of the SEC this same very question...

How can idle Miss State jump idle Mich State when they were literally 3 spots behind them the week before??

And of course NO ONE can give me an answer as to why...This committee reeks of filth and deception and its becoming disgusting to think about it...This is going to ruin college football...

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

There is no justification for it.....

Dec 8, 2014, 4:17 PM

It was politically and monetarily motivated and money-driven politics is a dirty business.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Absolutely correct. They can't explain the Miss State jump

Dec 8, 2014, 10:27 PM

so they won't.

Collusion between B!0 & SEC, with some prodding from OB

Dec 8, 2014, 4:35 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Playoff rankings and "movement" cost Clemson and ACC ]

And the ACC gets screwed again. Just like they were screwed with the only undefeated team being ranked 3rd and shipped out to the Rose Bowl.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2014, 4:15 PM

So much for thinking having our AD on the committee would help us. This is why I hate politics, they are out to help themselves instead of doing what is right. I'll scratch your back if you'll scratch mine. They tell a college athlete they can't receive money or profit from their image but crooks can make decisions like these to pad their own pockets. It's the world we live in.

Dec 8, 2014, 5:53 PM

That's why I see "The Rad" is auditioning for the ACC commish job to replace Joe "UNC" Swofford. Problem is Joe covers for UNC..."The Rad" covers for himself!

I say we innundate DRads in-box with a copy of this article

Dec 8, 2014, 4:19 PM

and demand an explanation; with a copy to Dr. Clements of course.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I say we innundate DRads in-box with a copy of this article

Dec 8, 2014, 5:25 PM

Clements is too busy playing party police to deal with any of this right now.

Was done to keep the Citrus for the B10, not to help SEC***

Dec 8, 2014, 4:20 PM

I'm betting the Big10 would rather be in the Orange Bowl

Dec 8, 2014, 4:33 PM

which pays $27.5 million versus the Citrus Bowl that pays $4 million.

Of course, that's just me.

B10 ended up with Cotton and Citrus instead of just Orange

Dec 8, 2014, 4:47 PM

B10 loses the Citrus bowl if they send a team to the Orange Bowl. If that would have happened, they would have lost the Citrus bowl and not had enough bowls for all of their bowl eligible teams.

Correct. And Cotton is now on same status as New Years Six

Dec 8, 2014, 10:05 PM

plus at Jerryworld. COtton used to be a real cut below when it was not on the level with the then BCS bowls.

If Big Ten wants a different bowl fine, but the corruption comes in when they fix the rankings to put the scenario in place.

Dec 8, 2014, 4:28 PM

Seiously?? SEC had both Mississippi and Mississippi State move up 3 spots, thus getting into the large bowl picture.....biggest move by any teams, without playing...SEC will continue to run the world unless somebody steps up and challenges the "fix is in" situation.

Money, shmoney..WE BEAT THE COOTS 35-17! What a great year!!***

Dec 8, 2014, 4:37 PM

null

Message was edited by: blackrivertiger®

It's weird that this happened but I think you're wrong about

Dec 8, 2014, 4:37 PM

the reason. You think the reason is money but there are tens of thousands of Michigan State, Michigan, and Ohio State fans in South Florida. Just look at how Ohio State had more people at the Orange Bowl last year than us.

I would think Michigan State would pull in more than Mississippi State. Now, if they could have kept Tech out of the game I think you may be on to something.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2014, 4:41 PM

With the Playoff base payout to each P5 conference and the Bowl Revenue the ACC will be bring in 96 million Dollars this year.

Also, Whatever politics were played didn't include the Big Ten bc the Big ten had a net loss of about 23 mil dollars by Mich St. 27.5 mil to play in the Orange and 4.25 mil to retain the Citrus.

It worked out better for Clemson in my opinion BC i had very little interest in playing Missouri. I would much rather play Oklahoma in the Tangerine. weak Big 12 North teams arent my thing. But thats just me probably.

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Dec 8, 2014, 4:49 PM

Another possible reason for the change...the powers that be didn't want to risk another loss by a SEC team to the ACC.

The cow has been divided and we were left without.

Dec 8, 2014, 4:42 PM

I'm not grieving over which bone they threw us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2014, 4:46 PM

You might want to read this:

From SELECTION COMMITTEE FAQS: http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/selection-committee-faqs

How will the teams that are not in the playoff be selected for the other bowls that make up this new arrangement?

All conferences negotiated individual bowl contracts for their champions. Five conferences have arranged contracts for their champions to play in New Year’s bowl games — Atlantic Coast (Orange), Big Ten (Rose), Big 12 (Sugar), Pac-12 (Rose), and Southeastern (Sugar).

The highest ranked champion of the other five Football Bowl Subdivision conferences (the American Athletic, Conference- USA, Mid-American, Mountain West and Sun Belt), as determined by the selection committee, will play in one of the six New Year’s bowls. Other available berths will be awarded to the teams ranked highest by the committee. The committee will assign teams to bowls.

When the Fiesta, Cotton and Atlanta bowls are not hosting semifinal games, their participants will come from three sources: (1) The highest ranked champion among the five conferences listed in the paragraph above, (2) conference champions that are displaced when their contracted bowls host semifinals and (3) the remaining teams ranked highest in the committee’s rankings.

The committee will assign teams to the non-playoff bowls to create the most compelling matchups, while considering other factors such as geographic proximity, avoiding rematches of regular-season games and avoiding rematches of recent years’ bowl games.

This total BS. The ACC should demand answers but Swofford

Dec 8, 2014, 5:13 PM

Is an anti-Clemson SOB and will do nothing. He needs the boot and now it appears DRad does too. Hes really an sec man himself from his LSU days. The committee has proven they intend to carry out espns agenda with more bs decisions in the rankings at everyone elses cost

Re: This total BS. The ACC should demand answers but Swofford

Dec 8, 2014, 9:03 PM

great post.. totally true!!!! and the Clemson admin will do nothing.. IMHO it is past time for DRad to go to some SEC school!!thats the agenda that he pushes!! our BOT needs to get rid of him tomorrow

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent post. Dradmay have not been incompetent, but

Dec 8, 2014, 10:09 PM [ in reply to This total BS. The ACC should demand answers but Swofford ]

rather some schmoozing and bootlicking the SEC. He was an SEC man and I'm sure would like to get back there as an A.D. The sooner the better is fine with me. I don't know who the right man is for athletic director at Clemson, but I know who is not the right man.

Interesting article. Thanks for laying this out.***

Dec 8, 2014, 5:14 PM

Miss State is so much better than Mich State...last week the

Dec 8, 2014, 5:16 PM

committee was out of their mind. TCU #3...

Dec 8, 2014, 5:22 PM

Despite this obvious snubb by the POC. The ACC made off really well in terms of bowl money. We have the 2nd highest payout behind the SEC. Obviously I would have rather have us play in the Citrus bowl for way more $$$.

Dec 8, 2014, 5:32 PM

I hate that we loose the money, but I would rather go to game on the 28th and be home for New Years Day

3 losses hurt us

Dec 8, 2014, 5:40 PM

If we would have won just one more game, especially the GT game...all takes care of itself

THat's exactly what they counted on our response to be. We

Dec 8, 2014, 10:13 PM

paid for losing the GT game by losing the Orange Bowl. We lost the Citrus Bowl due to corrupt gerrymandering of the rankings making way for this deal between the Big Ten and SEC. You know who got our Citrus spot? Minnesota! They lost to Illinois among others and are unranked. The people in this power play counted on the ACC and Clemson saying nothing to the ripple effect and they calculated right. And what better way to do it than with the school that got screwed to have its A.D. on the committee. What can we say?

Can we just ignore all of that and blame Swofford?***

Dec 8, 2014, 5:41 PM

Re: Can we just ignore all of that and blame Swofford?***

Dec 8, 2014, 6:08 PM

BY the way "Joe"...how's that internal ACC investigation of UNCheat going?...inquiring minds want to know! Oh, I see, you're letting the NCAA "do their job"...we wouldn't want to superceed or add on to their findings!

Hood: We demand answers from our AD and #### soon!!!***

Dec 8, 2014, 5:48 PM

Well that just sucks swamp water.***

Dec 8, 2014, 6:04 PM

Next time, beat GT.***

Dec 8, 2014, 6:10 PM

And how will that stop behind closed doors shenanigans?***

Dec 8, 2014, 6:17 PM

Re: And how will that stop behind closed doors shenanigans?***

Dec 8, 2014, 6:43 PM

We're probably in the OB.

We're probably in the OB if we beat GT.***

Dec 8, 2014, 6:45 PM

Re: We're probably in the OB if we beat GT.***

Dec 8, 2014, 8:29 PM

Not probably, definitely!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not probably, definitely!!***

Dec 8, 2014, 8:30 PM

With this precedent, they can just move people anywhere

Dec 8, 2014, 10:15 PM [ in reply to Next time, beat GT.*** ]

they want in the rankings to justify the agenda. We could have a team jump us two weeks after either of us played a game and the other team lost their last game by two touchdowns. Why not this time Miss State just be required to beat Ole Miss to move up three spots.

Dec 8, 2014, 6:15 PM

SECPN has too much power with the rankings!!!!!

Dec 8, 2014, 6:16 PM

Very good story. I appreciate the factual breakdown.
Having lived in Orlando and with family still there, the community takes great pride in putting these bowls together. Having lost every pro football team, Orlando views its bowls as a chance to show the world they are a major sports town. While this is certainly debatable, the CFP decision reverberates on the bowl hosts as well. All Orlando wants is a competitive game with recognized brand schools.
I would hope Tiger fans will get all their venting done and support Clemson and Orlando. Not attending because the bowl is somehow less than worthy by our lofty and recent standards will only reflect poorly upon US.
I for one am excited to have a bowl game in talent-rich Central Florida. Good weather and great attractions. Come on Sons of Clemson, let's go enjoy the holiday season for a change. Relax and have fun cheering on the Orange!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2014, 10:52 AM

You are entirely too positive for this posting. Great weather? Orlando? Recruiting possibilities in central Florida? Nah!!! Let's all squawk about DanRad, ESPN, SEC and playing Oklahoma, one of the best programs in history.

On Louisville Board, they were also pissed

Dec 8, 2014, 6:38 PM

I think they liked the idea of playing UGa, but was thinking they would get something better than the Belk Bowl. I think they got screwed from ND and the movement of the Mississippis.

David, was Dan Radakovich not in the room? If so, seems

Dec 8, 2014, 6:54 PM

to me some questions to our Athletic Director are in order. Also, should Michigan State's ranking only have gone up over the weekend with the Ohio State-Wisconsin outcome? MICHIGAN STATE PLAYED OHIO STATE BUT DID NOT PLAY WISCONSIN THIS YEAR! That is was particularly stinks to high heaven about this. How could our AD not get our conference's, and more importantly, team's back on this???

Rumor has it

Dec 8, 2014, 10:37 PM

DRAD was in the ladies room fixing his hair while this discussion was taking place....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

I'd love to see D-Rad and Sdoubt

Dec 8, 2014, 6:54 PM

both selling used Pontiacs in Nowhereville next year. D-Rad also gets his cosmetology degree and preps Sdoubt's hair for his part time gig as a Sears model.

Dec 8, 2014, 6:58 PM

I think everyone may be over thinking this. If they are being honest about looking at a complete body of work here is what changed even though Mississippi State did not play. Alabama won the SEC. That improves Mississippi States resume by them being able to claim a win over the league championship, so they move up. Ole Miss has their resume improved by virtue of State going up because they beat them.

I am not saying their wasn't also some funny business going on but anyone who thinks Michigan State even deserves to be in the top 10 is smoking something so it isn't farfetched for Mississippi State to jump them.

As for D.Rad, I love the over the top conspiracy theories that come up here. If he didn't vote in our interest he isn't a "Clemson Man" but think about this, if he did then he didn't do the job he was asked to do and lacks the integrity needed to be on the committee in the first place (they were asked to leave their bias at the door). Not to mention anytime the ACC or Clemson was discussed he has to excuse himself from the votes as a conflict of interest. So what exactly do you people want him to do?

There are PLENTY of things to complain about, our AD somehow screwing us over in a 12 person voting committee isn't really one of them.

my tin foil hat is picking up signals that say

Dec 8, 2014, 7:45 PM

Dan was tod by Dabo to get us in a bowl game we could win with Stoudt at QB

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Re: my tin foil hat is picking up signals that say

Dec 8, 2014, 9:59 PM

I sure don't feel good about our chances against Okla. without Watson. If the Stoudt of GT, GST. or Usc shows up we are in trouble.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not really the complete picture

Dec 8, 2014, 8:06 PM

yes it cost Clemson & The ACC money
but all the money from every bowl game an
ACC team plays in gets put into the ACC bowl fund
then is divide between all ACC Teams
At one time the team playing in the bowl game took
1/2 of its share and the other 1/2 was divide
No one with The ACC will give a straight answer
to the true pay-out each team gets
With 11 teams from the ACC playing in bowl games
each team will get more than they had

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Logic and Truth

Dec 8, 2014, 9:27 PM

Doesn't work with message board conspiracy theorist and just plain Tards!! Other than when I look in on FGF from time to time, I have never seen a larger gathering of delusional Tards in my life.

Re: Logic and Truth

Dec 9, 2014, 7:37 AM

Don't lose to gt fsu or ga and none of it matters

Dec 8, 2014, 9:19 PM

I will always be a Tiger through and through, but it's these kinds of shanagans that will make me stop watching CFB.

THis is the kind of thing that will make fans turn away. It

Dec 8, 2014, 10:18 PM

get close to Wrestlin' when the fix is in.

I wonder if when the AD's from the SEC and ACC get together

Dec 8, 2014, 10:18 PM

to "negotiate", if they know it is gonna be like taking candy from a baby. Slive makes Swoffy look stupid every year. Swoffy is as incompetent as a commissioner as UNC is as a football team.

David, I know this is off the radar because it involved

Dec 8, 2014, 10:30 PM

us and the Citrus, not a major top bowl, but it was very important to us. I wonder if this has even been brought to the attention of someone like Herbstreit to at least get a comment from him on it. Maybe if someone could drop a note to Addelson on Herbstreit to give it some air time at ESPN. People need to know that this happened because it will happen over and over again.

The solution is easy, just decline the bowl.

Dec 9, 2014, 2:57 AM

Make a bold statement on the whole stinking mess. Playing an un ranked Oklahoma is a no win situation for us anyways.

it's still a LOT better than the bowl destination of the

Dec 9, 2014, 6:29 AM

world.....Shreveport

Both bowls suck***

Dec 9, 2014, 6:48 AM

I disagree. It's too bad about the smaller payout, but

Dec 9, 2014, 9:52 PM

Orlando is a great bowl destination and the team will enjoy the trip. They deserve it: they've worked hard. They're the ones out there hitting the sleds in that August heat and humidity. Contrary to what seems a widely held belief on this board, it's NOT all about us.

And UNCheat fans get to spend bowl season

Dec 9, 2014, 9:42 AM [ in reply to it's still a LOT better than the bowl destination of the ]

in the resort city of Detroit.

if it quacks like a duck.....it must be a gamecock***

Dec 9, 2014, 6:30 AM [ in reply to The solution is easy, just decline the bowl. ]

Paranoid much?***

Dec 9, 2014, 9:43 PM

We take care of business on the field, and we get the

Dec 10, 2014, 2:53 AM

Citrus Bowl or higher. If you don't like the Bowl Game we got, get mad at UGA for running all over us in the 4th quarter. Get mad at FSU for capitalizing on our poor offensive play, or get mad at GATech for beating our brains out.

Replies: 84
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic