Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Hood: Offensive coaching changes happened at the right time for the Tigers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 71
| visibility 1

New Story: Hood: Offensive coaching changes happened at the right time for the Tigers

Dec 3, 2014, 7:01 AM

Hood: Offensive coaching changes happened at the right time for the Tigers

The news broke late last week that offensive coordinator Chad Morris was likely headed to SMU to take over the program, and the knee-jerk reaction by many on the Clemson side of things was to think that it couldn’t have come at a worse time with the South Carolina game looming on the horizon. Now that the game is over, the timing couldn't be more perfect. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent article. Agree with everything you said except

Dec 3, 2014, 7:27 AM

making a run for the national championship in 2016. I think (hope) we make a run in 2015.

Re: Excellent article. Agree with everything you said except

Dec 3, 2014, 11:02 AM

LOL.

Re: Excellent article. Agree with everything you said except

Dec 3, 2014, 11:26 AM

Still butthurt over Saturday?

I would be too. Your team got embarrassed.

The OLine will be worse next year than this year

Dec 3, 2014, 7:45 AM

we lose Kalon Davis, Webster, Beasley. Is Dabo counting on a bunch of freshman recruits to make our line better? I hope not. Crowder should be good, as soon as he learns to pass block. But who plays RT? Joe Gore isnt the answer, he got beat out by a Guard to play Tackle. Who plays LG (pray its not MacClain)? Will Guillermo finally get the starting job over Norton? Will Battle decide to not enter the NFL Draft (he shouldnt enter it).

We heard this year the OLine was going to be "rebuilt" and it was a disaster. Now we are losing the only few reliable OLinemen and its going to be "rebuilt" again next year....oh boy.

Mitch Hyatt won't be your normal freshman

Dec 3, 2014, 7:55 AM

He could start at LT for many college programs from day one. As an early enrollee he will get a spring under his belt and start at RT, then switch to the left side his sophomore season.

LT - Battle
LG - Norton
C - Guillermo
RG - Crowder
RT - M. Hyatt

Looks like a better line to me

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Hyatt is the one freshman that I think should be in the

Dec 3, 2014, 8:11 AM

two-deep. But I dont think he should be relied upon as a starter. Starting a true freshman as a RT is a recipe for disaster. It takes 2-3 years for an OLineman to be physically mature and ready to battle in the trenches. But because we have a total lack of depth, he's going to be forced into the two deep and possibly even starting by mid season. I hope it works out for him.

Tell 'em coot

Dec 3, 2014, 8:14 AM

#9 to 6-6 35-17 66-42-4

Thanks. ATT is the classic example of a 'Negative Nancy'.

Dec 3, 2014, 8:18 AM

If he's not a coot, he should be.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hyatt is the one freshman that I think should be in the

Dec 3, 2014, 8:30 AM [ in reply to Hyatt is the one freshman that I think should be in the ]

Cameron Robinson from Alabama says hi. He was the number 1 Tackle prospect last year and started at LEFT tackle at ALABAMA.

Dec 3, 2014, 10:13 AM [ in reply to Hyatt is the one freshman that I think should be in the ]

Please by all means, explain why you'd have a 5 star in the 2 dep with an offensive line that has been sub-par most of the season (beyong facing SCAR who's defensive line my grandmother could sit in a 6 ft pocket against)? coot....

Dec 3, 2014, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Hyatt is the one freshman that I think should be in the ]

> two-deep. But I dont think he should be relied upon
> as a starter. Starting a true freshman as a RT is a
> recipe for disaster. It takes 2-3 years for an
> OLineman to be physically mature and ready to battle
> in the trenches. But because we have a total lack of
> depth, he's going to be forced into the two deep and
> possibly even starting by mid season. I hope it
> works out for him.

Remember that time when that sophomore Hyatt was throwing around the no. 1 overall recruit in the nation (robert momdechi)?

Here's a refresher.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1401204/highlights/36125481

Now take a good look approximately 3 years into the future of this majestic night and you'll see on the field on opening day in death valley, this same young man upon in it smashing skulls beginning on offensive play no 1 of the season.

EARTH TO ALLTIMECLEMSON

Dec 3, 2014, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Hyatt is the one freshman that I think should be in the ]

> two-deep. But I dont think he should be relied upon
> as a starter. Starting a true freshman as a RT is a
> recipe for disaster. It takes 2-3 years for an
> OLineman to be physically mature and ready to battle
> in the trenches. But because we have a total lack of
> depth, he's going to be forced into the two deep and
> possibly even starting by mid season. I hope it
> works out for him.

Oddly,

Dec 3, 2014, 6:16 PM [ in reply to Hyatt is the one freshman that I think should be in the ]

Alabama is starting a true freshman at tackle.
Oregon has started a true freshman at tackle.
FSU started a true freshman at tackle.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Mitch Hyatt won't be your normal freshman

Dec 3, 2014, 9:08 AM [ in reply to Mitch Hyatt won't be your normal freshman ]

Heck yeah man thats what I am talking about....that starting 5 looks pretty #### good to me too!!

I keep hearing that Battle is gone***

Dec 3, 2014, 9:09 AM [ in reply to Mitch Hyatt won't be your normal freshman ]

nm

Since there have been a couple of posts on TN then it

Dec 3, 2014, 9:25 AM

must be true.

Whah?. You don't say!!? You mean Battle

Dec 3, 2014, 11:47 AM [ in reply to I keep hearing that Battle is gone*** ]

of the Palmetto State which Watson will own for several years?

Or this Battle:

LOL.

Re: Mitch Hyatt won't be your normal freshman

Dec 3, 2014, 10:17 AM [ in reply to Mitch Hyatt won't be your normal freshman ]

Neither will Fruemorgan (sp) from what I hear. If he and Hyatt can come in at 290# they will start because of their great fundamentals and their bad ### attitudes.

Re: The OLine will be worse next year than this year

Dec 3, 2014, 8:18 AM [ in reply to The OLine will be worse next year than this year ]

Sounds like you sure have a lot of confidence with our players.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah your coots are going to have a rough year***

Dec 3, 2014, 8:30 AM [ in reply to The OLine will be worse next year than this year ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Talent level of OL at all time high coming in

Dec 3, 2014, 9:27 AM [ in reply to The OLine will be worse next year than this year ]

Its comparing apples to apples.

These guys coming in are way ahead in talent level that the current line we have.

Plus the attrition rate of this year's line was tremendous.

And it is VERY obvious that our OL plays at a different level for Watson.

Dec 3, 2014, 10:45 AM [ in reply to The OLine will be worse next year than this year ]

Clemson has the numbers next year for a good offensive line. We were thin this year because of the recruiting cycle we are in and the insane attrition at that position. The coaching staff seems to be trying to break that in this class and in the targets for 2016. If you look at the numbers, Clemson has 9 OL that were on the roster this year, back for next year (assuming Battle returns). Clemson has 2 Redshirts (Hearn and Falcinelli) and 5 incoming freshmen (Hyatt,Green, Fruhmorgen, Giella and Tisch who will most likely walkon).

http://www.tigernet.com/view/scholarships/football.do

That means Clemson will have up to 16 possible linemen available to play, at very minimum 14 (less Battle and Tisch). Even if some do not pan out, the shear numbers will be enough to have a good offensive line in 2015 and an even better one after that. As I see it, this year and next will make or break Caldwell, in that if the OL cannot improve with numbers and talent, then Clemson's whole system of development for those players should be overhauled.

Dec 3, 2014, 5:51 PM [ in reply to The OLine will be worse next year than this year ]

Other than that it should be a good team. Probably won't win over eleven ball games .####

Re: New Story: Hood: Offensive coaching changes happened at the right time for the Tigers

Dec 3, 2014, 8:13 AM

It's also good timing because it will give the a real game that isn't overly important to practice calling plays. They get a month or so to prepare their game plan and work out the bugs. If the offense dominates in the bowl game it will basically eliminate all talk about a drop off in production.

Its a long enough time for them to prepare and a short enough time for recruits to be patient and see how things turn out. It's not like they will have to worry about what the offense will look like all summer before they get a preview. If they had to wait for months some of them would be more easily influenced to start looking for a new school.

I'm sure we'll do fine. I think Scott was our man anyway.

Re: New Story: Hood: Offensive coaching changes happened at the right time for the Tigers

Dec 3, 2014, 8:21 AM

+1

This is playing out swell. In regards to timing.

Only a month for commits to hold on, instead of like 6 months

im still reeling from the shock of

Dec 3, 2014, 8:31 AM

The idea of Elliot & Scott as co-coordinators. The same head scratching when Dabo was named head coach. When Chad Morris was hired as o/c. WHO?! WHY?! Both turned out great! Just praying this does! One needs to be designated play caller out of the gate! Or, they will have a hard time agreeing! I think it was a great time for Morris to leave as well. His play calling had gotten predictable & the absence of halftime adjustments were enraging! No question Morris is great, but it seemed hubris had set in. I wish him success as long as he isn't playing us!! I really hope this doesn't make Watson follow him!! He could very easily go with Morris without penalty! The unknown, and what id's are scary as hell! But, aren't they always?! Good luck to all who got promoted! I'm pulling for you all to succeed!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: im still reeling from the shock of

Dec 3, 2014, 8:49 AM

Did you really say, "I just hope Watson doesn't follow him"????...Leave Clemson??? To SMU? That has to be one of the most idiotic things I've ever read on Tigernet, with the exception Of about everything posted by "AllTimeClemson"!!!! That is such a stupid thing to say on so many different levels that I can't type it all out without getting thumb cramps! You should obviously study up a little on college football 101 before posting on this blog!

Every coot's dream is for Watson to follow Morris to SMU.

Dec 3, 2014, 9:28 AM

Only a coot could come up with that sentence.

Re: im still reeling from the shock of

Dec 3, 2014, 9:37 AM [ in reply to im still reeling from the shock of ]

Watson to SMU...you must be kidding. Maybe Morris takes Stoudt and gives him a job so he can protect him from the mean, cruel world that rewards you on performance. Wouldn't want Cole's feelings to be hurt.

Why do you...oh I don't know

Dec 3, 2014, 10:17 AM [ in reply to im still reeling from the shock of ]

Wait until they actually call a game to judge

Very well done!

Dec 3, 2014, 8:37 AM

Points well made. I agree. BV will be leaving soon, as well, but both he and CM have us in great shape to meet the future. Of course, I hope BV stays a long time, but I know he has dreams, too. I wish them both the best. They have left good marks at Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2014, 8:40 AM

I said the same ting yesterday to a couple of friends at lunch. We will be fine! Go Tigers.

Smells like another Billy Napier hire to me.

Dec 3, 2014, 8:49 AM

You're just putting a couple of guys that may or may not be ready for this in a position that you have to fire them one day.

Didn't Dabo learn this lesson once? Hire a coordinator. Let's not waste this incredible talent at QB on nepotism.

Re: Smells like another Billy Napier hire to me.

Dec 3, 2014, 8:55 AM

Climb on the roof,,,jump,jump.....lol. Look around my man...who should we hire?? Mike Bobo at Ga.. .? Who? The great coordinators are made, not moving from one team to another...Lane Kiffin?. A failed head coach, Brady Hoke is looking for work. Answers to my questions are not easy, four years ago Chad Morris was a nobody...

Chad Morris wasn't a nobody on the coaching scene.

Dec 3, 2014, 9:14 AM

Just because you haven't heard of him and can't think of anyone else to hire doesn't mean they aren't out there.

You answered your own question really. What did the big boys do? They went out and hired Lane Kiffin as their OC. He's a failed HC. You think Brady Hoke isn't going to land on his feet as a pretty dang good DC?

Ok, so Dabo has $1.3M to work with.

Dabo knows Mike Norvell. Think he'd be any good?

The Spatival dude at TAMU coached Johnny Football, Geno Smith, and Brandon Weeden. Think he might be able to do something with Deshaun?

Who knows if the next HC in Gainesville keeps Kurt Roper? You think Muschamp is would be a terrible DC because he's a failed HC?

You've got $1.3M, who's to say Frost from Oregon doesn't want to come to a place where the rest of the country actually hears about him?

Littrell? I think that's the guy at UNC's name. He's been all over. There's a bunch of guys.

This is a no effort hire. Dabo is very loyal, and I love that about him, but when it get to the point of nepotism, that's a bad thing.

And just to add to that...

Dec 3, 2014, 9:17 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if Dabo agrees with me, and is just putting Tony and Jeff Scott in there for recruiting purposes until he finds the guy.

Re: And just to add to that...

Dec 3, 2014, 11:49 AM

> I wouldn't be surprised if Dabo agrees with me, and
> is just putting Tony and Jeff Scott in there for
> recruiting purposes until he finds the guy.

DonnerJD, you have got to quit drinking that stuff because it is making you delusional!! Nothing personal, fella, but you are way out there on this one!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You obviously haven't been paying attention the last 4 years

Dec 3, 2014, 12:54 PM [ in reply to And just to add to that... ]

Dabo has had this plan in place for 4 years. What makes you think OC's at other big schools are going to up and leave to become OC here?

Where did Venables come from again?

Dec 3, 2014, 4:05 PM

POINT

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

5 years in the system and 4 WRs starting in the NFL...

Dec 3, 2014, 9:20 AM [ in reply to Chad Morris wasn't a nobody on the coaching scene. ]

That's not "nepotism". Get a fracking clue.

The poster has Dabo figured out. He is just playing a joke

Dec 3, 2014, 11:10 AM

with the appointees. They aren't really hired, just killing time until he can find the right one. Really?

Re: Chad Morris wasn't a nobody on the coaching scene.

Dec 3, 2014, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Chad Morris wasn't a nobody on the coaching scene. ]

While I do think it's a bad thing also.(nepotism)' I also know signing day is Closing in fast. Kids are easily swung by smart recruiters and changing now would create problems I'm afraid. We have a top ten class coming in and can't you see Saben or Malzone saying, yeah, Chad Morris is gone, back to three yards and a cloud of dust.....
Think about that...

Nepotism? Care to tell us about this?***

Dec 3, 2014, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Chad Morris wasn't a nobody on the coaching scene. ]

I know. Big words make him feel smart even when used

Dec 3, 2014, 12:22 PM

incorrectly.

Re: Chad Morris wasn't a nobody on the coaching scene.

Dec 3, 2014, 11:47 AM [ in reply to Chad Morris wasn't a nobody on the coaching scene. ]

> Just because you haven't heard of him and can't think
> of anyone else to hire doesn't mean they aren't out
> there.
>
> You answered your own question really. What did the
> big boys do? They went out and hired Lane Kiffin as
> their OC. He's a failed HC. You think Brady Hoke
> isn't going to land on his feet as a pretty dang good
> DC?
>
> Ok, so Dabo has $1.3M to work with.
>
> Dabo knows Mike Norvell. Think he'd be any good?
>
> The Spatival dude at TAMU coached Johnny Football,
> Geno Smith, and Brandon Weeden. Think he might be
> able to do something with Deshaun?
>
> Who knows if the next HC in Gainesville keeps Kurt
> Roper? You think Muschamp is would be a terrible DC
> because he's a failed HC?
>
> You've got $1.3M, who's to say Frost from Oregon
> doesn't want to come to a place where the rest of the
> country actually hears about him?
>
> Littrell? I think that's the guy at UNC's name.
> He's been all over. There's a bunch of guys.
>
> This is a no effort hire. Dabo is very loyal, and I
> love that about him, but when it get to the point of
> nepotism, that's a bad thing.

DonnerJD, tell all of us the "facts" that you have that indicates that Dabo has been sitting on his patooty the whole time he has been a HC and not been planning for the departure of Chad Morris!! Tell all of us the "facts" that you have that Dabo did not evaluate, interview, or consider other prospects for the OC job!!! Dabo is a leader and one thing that all good leaders do all the time is evaluate, interview, and plan for potential personnel changes on their respective staffs. An interview does not always happen formally in one sitting but is a continuing process everyday. You are always planning and preparing for the next change in your staff, PERIOD!!! As to Lane Kiffin and his prowess as an OC, he is not a "Clemson type" of person and I am very thankful for that. Evaluate his coaching trail!!! Tell me where he has truly succeeded except in promoting his own overblown ego. As I have said in other threads on this issue, take a look at Jeff Scott's and Tony Elliott's bios as football coaches and I think you will see nothing but success at every opportunity they have ever had. Both are winners and they will be winners for the Tigers!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2014, 9:23 AM [ in reply to Smells like another Billy Napier hire to me. ]

I am thinking that a nobody wide receivers coach has done pretty dang well as the HC of the team these last 6 years.

Don't ever forget programs rise and fall with leadership.

Thank God You aren't our coach!!!!

Dec 3, 2014, 9:46 AM

MIGHT JUST BE YOUR UPPER LIP

So, if one OC promoted from within doesn't work, it's a

Dec 3, 2014, 9:31 AM [ in reply to Smells like another Billy Napier hire to me. ]

bad idea to hire from within ever again? Napier was a young position coach with no experience as a coordinator, and he didn't pan out (at that time); therefore Jeff Scott, who is a young position coach who has no coordinator experience probably won't pan out? That makes no sense - it doesn't follow. Inexperienced coordinators who are hired from within are often very successful, while experienced coordinators often fail. This is about Jeff Scott and what he is capable of at this point in time, and how well he fits at Clemson considering what Dabo wants. Nobody on Tnet has a clue when it comes to making that kind of judgment.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Dabo did learn this lesson once. When he, a WR coach, was

Dec 3, 2014, 10:04 AM [ in reply to Smells like another Billy Napier hire to me. ]

promoted to HC.

We know how that turned out, just fine.

Dabo learned his lesson with Billy Napier. Billy Napier was NOT ready to be an OC. Scott and Elliot most certainly are ready. They have been learning from Morris for 4 years.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Napier spent 6 yrs learning to be an OC b4 Dabo promoted him

Dec 3, 2014, 6:45 PM

And during Dabo's first couple years of on-the-job-training, he lost many games to teams that had inferior talent, costing us a 2009 ACC title and leading us to the 6-7 debacle season (which was an epic coaching failure considering the NFL talent on the team and the weakness of the schedule).

Dec 3, 2014, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Smells like another Billy Napier hire to me. ]

> You're just putting a couple of guys that may or may
> not be ready for this in a position that you have to
> fire them one day.
>
> Didn't Dabo learn this lesson once? Hire a
> coordinator. Let's not waste this incredible talent
> at QB on nepotism.

Another opinion, no facts, just opinion. Do a little research on Jeff Scott's bio and what he has accomplished in a very short time as a football coach. Or you can forget that, and continue to just have opinions. Incredible!!

Yeah, that's kind of the point, right???

Dec 3, 2014, 3:32 PM

It's a message board.

Billy Napier really wasnt that bad

Dec 3, 2014, 11:42 AM [ in reply to Smells like another Billy Napier hire to me. ]

I went back and watched some of the 2009 Clemson vs Miami game and I actually liked some his play calling. He helped bring us to the ACCCG in 2009. I think why most think Billy Napier was so bad was because of how horrible our offense was in 2010. Kyle Parker was not the QB we saw before after the Auburn game. Also, other than a true freshman nuk Hopkins, we had zero talent at the WR position. Terrance Ashe, Xavier Dye and Marquan Jones were just not talented and I remember alot of drops during that season. I think Dabo knows what he's doing here. Lets trust him

Would Dabo himself be classified as "Billy Napier" hire

Dec 3, 2014, 11:50 AM [ in reply to Smells like another Billy Napier hire to me. ]

in your book?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

with watson we'll be fine

Dec 3, 2014, 8:58 AM

The offensive line well have new faces but we have superman at QB , if need be he can move around. .MH is a five star linemen ( which is given to guys that can help right away) as we''ve all seen by Watson , gullam and Scott sometimes they give some recruits 4 stars when it should have been 5. I think a lot of the offensive line recruits will be available to play. The Defense is losing a lot. But we have guys on the team to make sure the drop off is a step, not a cliff. We'll be fine next year. Maybe even better then most think.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson's offense should be back to its old ways?

Dec 3, 2014, 9:16 AM

Are you referring to the Morris era or pre-Morris era?

I personally think that Dabo made the absolute best choice

Dec 3, 2014, 9:17 AM

The reason i say that is because Jeff Scott & Tony Elliott have been right there the whole time with Chad Morris coaching, they have watched what he does & coached the boys for the plays that Morris calls. Its a perfect set up, nothing has to change with a new coordinator coming in putting a wrench in the already working system. As the old saying goes, if it aint broke, dont fix it. With these guys now running the show nothing has to change, they just grab the wheel & keep on keep'n on. I think that next season will just be a mirror image of this season with the play calling. These guys have experience, its not like Dabo just hired a couple kids out the astronomy department. Relax, we got this! Go Tigers! !!!!

Xactly... +1.***

Dec 3, 2014, 9:23 AM

The Key to Winning with any Coach

Dec 3, 2014, 9:21 AM

protect the ball regardless of scheme

Control the line of scrimmage

And Continue to Recruit great Athletes, and get ball to your playmakers.

Simple, but not easy. However we have the QB to make the run.

David, agree timing couldn't be better with DW at the Helm. His Confidence, ability, and Calm Demeanor
...all wrapped up in one package.

... and grit. Tough as nails.***

Dec 3, 2014, 9:24 AM

OT David, but I wonder what your take is on watson's knee surgery

Dec 3, 2014, 9:52 AM

they're taliking about waiting until after the bowl game. Does that make sense? Whatever bowl game we go to, it's not really going to matter much if we win or lose. Wouldn't it be wiser to go ahead and fix deshaun's knee now and give him more time to rehab it before next fall? We're gonna need this kid healthy for the next 2-3 years.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAT TAX NOW!

How long before Robert C&P's this as a TCI exclusive ?***

Dec 3, 2014, 10:13 AM

Dec 3, 2014, 10:38 AM

As usual, great article David. I agree that the change happened at the right time. Jeff Scott and Tony Elliott are a great choice by Dabo. Both are past Tiger players and have been under Chad guidance for four years. I think they will do fine as Co-Coordinators. The other plus is, they are still here to continue recruiting top notch talent for the long run. Everyone needs to stop scratching their heads and the few need to stop with the nepotism crap. Dabo put them as Co-Co-Coordinators for a reason. Why bring in some one from the outside and have to start over on offense with a different scheme? Plus, you would stand a real good chance of losing a lot of top notch recruits that have already commited. Chill out and watch what happens. Could see big things happen in the future. GO TIGERS !!!

Dec 3, 2014, 12:33 PM

You know I like it when a columninst puts in to words what your thoughts are about a situation. David Hood hit it right on the nail.

For all intensive purposes, Chad Morris was good as gone when he first got here. The man was a successful coach and coordinator before Clemson. He always talked about talent in Texas in his interviews. When asked about ever leaving Clemson, he talked about the right situation coming along. A school in the state he loves that is in the dumps where the only direction they can move in is up and forward fits that mantra. He gets to hire assistance to coordinate and he gets to recruit his talent in his state. That doesn't mean he won't venture into other states but he will probably build from mostly Dallas-Fort Worth area. There is a lot of talent there.

The timing couldn't have been better. We get to hit the refresh button with a load of talented players and a coaching staff that knows what to do with it. While they are two offensive coordinators, I still believe their will be one calling plays on Saturday and they may rotate throughout the game. I see it as one on the sideline and one in the booth. Can't miss with a firm communication.

Dec 3, 2014, 12:58 PM

Did Dabo type this article?

Dec 3, 2014, 2:36 PM

I am not sure, but I think someone other than Chad was calling plays for the spring game(s). Who was doing that?

Dec 3, 2014, 3:23 PM

I...wouldn't know.

Staff stability if SCelliOTT experiment fails like Napier?

Dec 3, 2014, 5:30 PM

What evidence is there that Scott & Elliot would have left if not promoted to co-OC?

Because Dabo took a terribly unnecessary risk in promoting Napier, Clemson suffered during the Napier-OC-years, and ever since because Napier was our best recruiter. (He's still a position coach but now he's recruiting against us.) Now if the SCelliOTT experiment fails, the team will suffer for 1-2 years and Dabo will likely have to fire our best TWO recruiters.

If they succeed, he's giving the youngsters early stepping stones to leave Clemson for bigger jobs.

It's not clear how this provides more stability than hiring a great, seasoned OC.

Re: Staff stability if SCelliOTT experiment fails like Napier?

Dec 3, 2014, 5:57 PM

He wouldn't fire them. it is a conflict of interest, but i think he keeps them around succeed or fail

Morris taught us all we need to know for 1.3 . Heck , i think i could've called plays better than THE CHAD

Didn't demote Napier. Can't demote SCelliOTT. Succeed or bye***

Dec 3, 2014, 6:34 PM

Re: Staff stability if SCelliOTT experiment fails like Napier?

Dec 3, 2014, 5:57 PM [ in reply to Staff stability if SCelliOTT experiment fails like Napier? ]

He wouldn't fire them. it is a conflict of interest, but i think he keeps them around succeed or fail

Morris taught us all we need to know for 1.3 . Heck , i think i could've called plays better than THE CHAD

Replies: 71
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic