Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Watson's sprained LCL - What does it mean?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

New Story: Watson's sprained LCL - What does it mean?

Nov 20, 2014, 9:17 AM

Watson's sprained LCL - What does it mean?

The news was announced late Sunday that quarterback Deshaun Watson had a sprained LCL.....what is a sprained LCL? What causes the injury? How much of a recovery time is needed? TigerNet talks to one of the area's top orthopedists to get some of the answers. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He just needs to treat it with some TLC***

Nov 20, 2014, 9:20 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Therapy and a knee brace and he's good to go anytime.

Nov 20, 2014, 9:26 AM

The lcl benefits the most from a knee brace out of any other ligament and we know its a grade 1. I truly believe had we been playing USuCk this week you would still see him out there with a brace. Thankfully it was something very treatable and not some injury like his finger where its surgery then an unknown wait.

and a couple shots of go go juice***

Nov 20, 2014, 11:12 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He just needs to treat it with some TLC***

Nov 20, 2014, 9:43 AM [ in reply to He just needs to treat it with some TLC*** ]

Otherwise we will be SOL against USuCk and OBS in DV.

Re: He just needs to treat it with some TLC***

Nov 20, 2014, 11:40 AM [ in reply to He just needs to treat it with some TLC*** ]

How is listening to "Waterfalls" going to help his knee?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Watson's sprained LCL - What does it mean?

Nov 20, 2014, 9:24 AM

So if he plays he is going to have on a pair of gloves and a knee brace? now that's gonna be a sight, go tigers!

Nov 20, 2014, 9:47 AM

I think his hand will be completely healed, probably no gloves.

Nov 20, 2014, 9:24 AM

Wow....excellent info

Nov 20, 2014, 9:29 AM

Yes. That's the best analysis I've seen yet without fully knowing the specifics of the injury. Based on Dabo saying he's day to day it makes sense that it's a grade 1 injury. With the medical and rehab support available he should be back as fast as humanly possible. Whether that is for SCAR or not we shall see....

Nov 20, 2014, 11:32 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Watson's sprained LCL - What does it mean? ]

Excellent info? The good doc offered nothing the average Joe couldn't google. Like the Dr said he would need to see the MRI.

So you're saying there's a chance....***

Nov 20, 2014, 9:25 AM

Nov 20, 2014, 9:29 AM

Well we are educated on what happened but don't know how long. this is like knowing how a fusion reactor would work but not knowing how long until we have one. I guess we play the waiting game. Although Dabo said "day to day" so maybe that means he has a grade 1 sprain and can return "healthy" to the South Carolina game.

Sounds like to me....

Nov 20, 2014, 9:31 AM

He dodged a huge bullet that would have been a career changer. I want to beat the chickens more than
anybody I know, but I want him healthy next year even more. Lets don't rush him. Let's be mature fans, and look at the big picture, not a small window. The big picture is to have him for at least two more years healthy, stronger and bigger. with a top five recruiting class coming in and they young talent we have, 2016 we could be a playoff year for us! Patience grasshoppers.

Re: Sounds like to me....

Nov 20, 2014, 9:39 AM

Tman84.
Is that you Todd Ellis?

Re: Sounds like to me....

Nov 20, 2014, 12:32 PM [ in reply to Sounds like to me.... ]

It's really simple! Watson the pocket passer instead of Watson the running back! Why not take a page from Spurrier & flip the gameplan 180 degrees?! With our lack of physicality in the run game, we need something a little different. Anything to end this nightmare streak against USuCk!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So what your saying is....

Nov 20, 2014, 9:42 AM

We still have a chance

Well, guess if "Dabo isn't lying", that confirms Stage 1

Nov 20, 2014, 9:45 AM

is what Watson likely has.

"So if it's Grade 1, it is going to be day-to-day. You aren't going to know until you get him out there running and get him on a bike. You want to see that he can do the simple things and do them well, without complaining about any pain or any issues. Some facilities will have anti-gravity treadmills or underwater treadmills to help with this process. "

All of those are the things we have heard on him so far:
1) He's day-to-day
2) He's been seen jogging and running
3) He's not complaining of pain so far
4) He's been doing the underwater treadmill

If the doctor is associating all of that with a Grade 1, then that's seeming to match Watson's condition.

Grade 1 is day-to-day, Grade 3 is surgery

Nov 20, 2014, 9:46 AM

what about Grade 2? A week? A Month?

Re: Grade 1 is day-to-day, Grade 3 is surgery

Nov 20, 2014, 9:51 AM

Grade 2 is 4-6 weeks...non surgery. He wouldn't make it to the SCar game (unless with a brace and very limited)..more than likely good for bowl.

That's what I was getting at

Nov 20, 2014, 9:56 AM

So we're looking at probably Grade 1, worst-case Grade 2. If it was Grade 3 he would've had surgery by now I assume.

Re: That's what I was getting at

Nov 20, 2014, 9:58 AM

Yep. I'd say that seems to be the case. Grade 1 seems the most likely pairing that info up to what information has come out about his rehab and condition, and what people have seen of him since this last weekend.

Nov 20, 2014, 9:51 AM

Saw him today and yesterday. He parks in the same lot as I do behind the brooks center. I'm not sure how painful the sprain is but he does not limp one bit. Walking as if nothing is wrong. But maybe with this type of injury you wouldn't normally limp, IDK. Just my observation.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it's more of a lateral movement thing

Nov 20, 2014, 9:57 AM

but no limp at all is still probably a good thing

He didn't limp off the field.

Nov 20, 2014, 10:00 AM

He didn't grimace until they told him he had a ligament problem while he was on the stretcher on the sideline.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 20, 2014, 10:00 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Watson's sprained LCL - What does it mean? ]

I've had the injury before at the grade 1 level and the pain itself really does go away rather quickly, within a week it felt like it was completely healed. The only effect will be how stretched the ligament is by next Saturday, but the brace would secure that. Its just easier for the knee to pop again once its stretched out, but as far as pain and moving around on the field goes....I doubt he has any issues doing that next Saturday. It will all be on making sure his knee is supported properly to make sure it doesn't happen while cutting or planting in the game.

Nov 20, 2014, 11:42 AM

This is my biggest worry. Also having knee problems it is the stretching that can cause longer term problems. I am of the opinion if you truly wish to compete at the higest level even a player with a grade 2 strain should have surgery. Playing with a stretched ligament does not normally get worse but it puts you in a position to have instability at any moment.

null

A brace can make up for that instability though***

Nov 20, 2014, 2:37 PM

but also transfers that stress to his ankle.***

Nov 21, 2014, 11:53 AM

Are they releasing, or has anyone even asked

Nov 20, 2014, 10:01 AM

What grade injury this is? I think a lot of people would like to know that. Unless they are playing some gamesmanship to keep the cluckers from knowing, I am not sure why that has not been released.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So where's our underwater treadmill?***

Nov 20, 2014, 10:01 AM

Seriously, Florida had one for Percy Harvin***

Nov 20, 2014, 10:05 AM

Re: So where's our underwater treadmill?***

Nov 20, 2014, 10:08 AM [ in reply to So where's our underwater treadmill?*** ]

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/clem/sports/m-basebl/auto_pdf/06mg-097-112.pdf

Page 2 is a pic of it...Jervey Athletic Center.

Sweet, put Watson on it***

Nov 20, 2014, 10:18 AM

Re: Sweet, put Watson on it***

Nov 20, 2014, 10:21 AM

He's been on it, according to Dabo's last interview posted yesterday.

http://www.tigernet.com/story/football/Swinney-Florida-rumors-I-love-Clemson-I-love-job-13274

"Deshaun Watson update

Watson is doing all of the underwater treadmill stuff from a running standpoint and he's doing some rehab stuff out here. Most of his running right now is on the treadmill. We're trying not to put a ton of stress on him right now. “

:)

Awesome

Nov 20, 2014, 10:43 AM

Underwater treadmill = championships

Re: Awesome

Nov 20, 2014, 11:44 AM

The Westzone actually has a much nicer one or possibly two I can't remember. I am willing to bet it is nicer than most orthopedic facilities in the area.

null

Re: Sweet, put Watson on it***

Nov 20, 2014, 2:56 PM [ in reply to Sweet, put Watson on it*** ]

Actually we have a football only in the training room in the west endzone, right behind the hot tub and beside the cold tub.

Re: So where's our underwater treadmill?***

Nov 20, 2014, 3:47 PM [ in reply to So where's our underwater treadmill?*** ]

Its under the water;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 20, 2014, 10:07 AM

david, I thought you and dabo were real tight. you could not ask who the actual doctor that was treating Watson? maybe he could give some more accurate answers about the injury and time frame. but I guess that might infringe on dabo and his slow release press conferences to keep everyone on anticipation alert. it will be interesting to see how much coachspeak plays into this and if they announced now that Watson would not be able to play, would that affect attendance. just makes one wonder.

HIPAA doesn't allow a doctor to discuss his patients

Nov 20, 2014, 10:19 AM

without the consent of the patient.

Re: HIPAA doesn't allow a doctor to discuss his patients

Nov 20, 2014, 10:46 AM

but dabo can?

Nov 20, 2014, 10:52 AM

what i heard him say is if the doctor says he can play he will play. now that is riveting medical info

Nov 20, 2014, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Re: HIPAA doesn't allow a doctor to discuss his patients ]

Dabo probably has permission to know pertinent medical info about all of his players. He probably has to get permission from Watson if he wants to release info to the press.

I can't think of any instance of an athlete refusing to have his injury information made public, but legally speaking, they can do so.

Nov 20, 2014, 10:48 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Watson's sprained LCL - What does it mean? ]

what really makes you wonder is how coots are allowed to run wild on this site, right leadcoot

LCL- What does it mean? Likely Clemson Loss if out for SCar***

Nov 20, 2014, 10:45 AM

Two points, people...

Nov 20, 2014, 10:51 AM

1. Coach speak is not a medical prognosis. Yes, he said the words "day-to-day", but that doesn't mean that it's absolutely Grade 1 because the Coach said something that matched up with what the Doctor said. The Doctor literally means that the sprain at Grade 1 is slight enough to the point where you may not feel pain tomorrow. The Coach probably means that the staff is taking it day-by-day to analyze and check things out going forward.

2. Grades aren't rankings. When you're ranked 1 or 2, you're either 1 or 2. When you have a sprain, it could be somewhere in-between 1 and 2. There is variation within the grades of sprains. You can have a slight 2 or one that is as bad as it gets without requiring surgery.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Third point

Nov 20, 2014, 10:56 AM

"and what the true injury is."

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Third point

Nov 20, 2014, 12:37 PM

again Cocklover, keep dreaming. it's a grade 1 maybe a little less than grade 2. I brace theses guys every day. dw straps on a brace and plays. game....set....match

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Re: Two points, people...

Nov 20, 2014, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Two points, people... ]

yeah, but then add in the other things that have been seen/said...

1) He's been seen jogging out of water
2) He's on the water treadmill
3) He had no limp walking off the field and to the locker room...several confirming on campus seeing him walking, again no limp.
4) Been seen non-braced (typically, you'd be in a hinged brace on a normal basis with a level 2 or 3 sprain)

All other signs included with what you said point to level 1 being the most likely.

The doctor said for a grade 1 he could do some anti-

Nov 20, 2014, 5:48 PM [ in reply to Two points, people... ]

gravity running or biking, like the underwater running Dabo said he has been doing yesterday. So obviously its a grade 1 or Dabo wouldn't have him doing the things he is doing. Dabo said yesterday that he actually practice a bit that day. So I don't understand why people want to try and fight things or contradict what has been said but it is plain as day that it is a low grade sprain or Dabo wouldn't have his prize QB doing the things he has been doing the past few days...

Dec 1, 2014, 9:55 PM

Has anybody thought about this child's career, this could be the end for his football career like RG3. Has anybody thought about one more hit for this kid could be "DEADLY" for Watson!!!!!!! Does anyone CARE!!!! What the F---- is wrong with Debo, is money so important for Clemson? Like Steve Spur said, "He would have never played one of his best players in a game with a torn ACL!!! This makes me MAD AS HELL!!! What does Watson Family have to say about this??? THIS COULD NOT BE MY D---- CHILD!!! HELL NO!!!! THIS IS MURDER FOR THIS KID'S FOOTBALL CAREEER!!!!!

Wow, you're an idiot.***

Dec 1, 2014, 9:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

I'm a bit hungry..

Dec 1, 2014, 9:58 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Watson's sprained LCL - What does it mean? ]

wanna bring me a sammich?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic