Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Venables says Jackets are biggest challenge "and it's not even close"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

New Story: Venables says Jackets are biggest challenge "and it's not even close"

Nov 11, 2014, 3:48 PM

Venables says Jackets are biggest challenge "and it's not even close"

Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables told the media Tuesday that Georgia Tech's option offense presents the biggest challenge his defense has faced to date...and it's not even close. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Venables says Jackets are biggest challenge "and it's not even close"

Nov 11, 2014, 3:49 PM

Not knocking coach V, but I have a serious question. If the triple option is so dang wonderful, why did everyone quit running it 20 years ago? Why is GT the only power 5 conference team to run it? If it were so dang great, programs would be using it.

I think that is exactly the reason it is effective

Nov 11, 2014, 4:05 PM

The fact that GT is the only team that runs this type of offense is what makes it so tough to defend. The reason teams can be effective against the spread/read option is that they see it much more frequently in today's game. 20 years ago, everyone ran the option so the defenses got used to seeing it and became experts at what cues to look for and what reads to make. Now the only teams that see it are the ones that play GT, and even those only see it once a year at the most.

Re: I think that is exactly the reason it is effective

Nov 11, 2014, 7:35 PM

If that be the case, we should book flunkies from 1AA that run the triple option instead of the ones we now play. We might get used to it.

It takes years to recruit the team to run this offense...

Nov 11, 2014, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Venables says Jackets are biggest challenge "and it's not even close" ]

you commit to it and there is no turning back without a few more years of "rebuilding". The offense puts your QB at risk on more than half of the plays, meaning you have to have depth in that position. All the while, other teams are getting the NFL destined linemen (the will be labeled inexperienced at pass blocking) and the better WR's (who don't want to block and catch the occasional pass).

didn't Johnson have the most success...

Nov 11, 2014, 4:07 PM

with Chan Gailey's players?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hasn't beat a ranked team since they all graduated***

Nov 11, 2014, 5:13 PM

Re: didn't Johnson have the most success...

Nov 11, 2014, 7:36 PM [ in reply to didn't Johnson have the most success... ]

Yep.

Study UGA tapes. Their 6 and 1 against Johnson***

Nov 11, 2014, 4:28 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Venables says Jackets are biggest challenge "and it's not even close" ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Study UGA tapes. Their 6 and 1 against Johnson***

Nov 11, 2014, 4:36 PM

Agree. Georgia knows something on how to beat them, even in their stadium. Also, Duke and North Carolina beat them this year so they know how to do it too. Get them into having to play catch up and then you've got them by the throat.

UNC just scored every time they touched the ball

Nov 11, 2014, 5:14 PM

If we do that, we're going to win.

Re: UNC just scored every time they touched the ball

Nov 11, 2014, 9:54 PM

> If we do that, we're going to win.

I imagine if you guys score on every possession you will have a pretty decent chance at winning.

2009 ACCCG

Nov 11, 2014, 10:57 PM

We scored on darn near every possession and lost that game. Of course, Tech scored on darn near every possession, too!!!!

2009 defense couldn't stop a nose bleed***

Nov 12, 2014, 1:24 PM

Re: New Story: Venables says Jackets are biggest challenge "and it's not even close"

Nov 11, 2014, 6:50 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Venables says Jackets are biggest challenge "and it's not even close" ]

The key to stopping any offense is simple - control the line of scrimmage. Get penetration from the tackles and play with discipline at the edge positions. The reason clemson has had trouble stopping the option is that they don't play with discipline. The ends fly upfield and the linebackers always try to make the big hit. If clemson stays disciplined they will win easily. They are athletically and should contrrol the inside run with the tackles. I'd look for Anthony and steward to have huge games. If they don't then the tigers will struggle

Knock the QB to the ground...

Nov 11, 2014, 4:10 PM

every freaking play...if he is carrying out a fake...knock him to the ground.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Knock the QB to the ground...

Nov 11, 2014, 4:16 PM

Amen! The number one key to stopping this offense is making sure you knock the QB in the mouth EVERY SINGLE PLAY. Knock him on his #&$!!!!!!!! We've done that against them the last couple years, and I totally expect the same Saturday.

If you watch any GT football, the QB never stays up after he

Nov 11, 2014, 6:54 PM

pitches. He just falls to the ground.

Joshua Nesbitt best QB Johnson has had at Tech.***

Nov 11, 2014, 4:27 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, bad memories of that dude "falling forward"

Nov 11, 2014, 4:43 PM

for 5 yard gains, over and over.

Venables says Jackets are biggest challenge "and it's not even close"

Nov 11, 2014, 4:37 PM

Nobody likes to watch that crap game after game, week after week. So boring...but it is successful because it is hard to prepare for. I agree that we need to knock the QB on his a_ _ every play to wear him out. Get him fatigued and wait for bad decisions, bad pitches, etc. We are the kind of team that can outlast the other guys in the 4th Qtr, but I don't want to wait that long. I was at the game last year in DV and we got them down and on the ropes early--let's give 'em another dose, open up a large can of Whoopa_ _ on them again!

Nov 11, 2014, 4:44 PM

YIKES!!! Doesn't sound encouraging at all. Do you think this typical coach speak or is he being completely honest? If so, it could be a loooong Saturday.

Isn't taking out the RB's the best way to stop the option?

Nov 11, 2014, 4:47 PM

on every play (and QB)?

Maybe they should watch UGA film.

Setting the edge is key

Nov 11, 2014, 6:07 PM

Take away the pitch man and force everything inside. Also, getting them off schedule by winning 1st and 2nd down.

Good point. Didn't we eventually struggle with the edges

Nov 12, 2014, 12:46 AM

against UGA? I always blamed our lack of offense on that.

Re: Good point. Didn't we eventually struggle with the edges

Nov 12, 2014, 10:57 PM

we also didn't have Crawford for the UGA game, and he is by far our best DE to set the edge.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

basically, you want to take away the dive option first on

Nov 12, 2014, 9:24 AM [ in reply to Isn't taking out the RB's the best way to stop the option? ]

every play, unless obvious pass play.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: basically, you want to take away the dive option first on

Nov 12, 2014, 9:54 PM

This will be smash mouth football. Order the wings and get the suds!!

Venables is blowing smoke up our shorts.

Nov 11, 2014, 5:48 PM

He has PJ's number and the #2 defense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2014, 6:59 PM

Get in their backfield every play and disrupt their timing will shut the option down. Knock the QB on his but a few.times and he will get frustrated and start making mistakes. Duke and the rest of the teams that beat them showed how to do it. Watch the film. Tiger offense has got to step up and give DW time to throw. Running game is looking good.with Gallman waiting for the blocks to develop and he should have a great day.

Nov 11, 2014, 7:38 PM

If the jackets are truly our "biggest challenge" then we are in trouble considering we lost to two teams who were not "our biggest challenge."

They've yet to face a D like ours

Nov 11, 2014, 9:40 PM

Those dudes are in for a rude awakening. We've been playing man coverage all year. We'll do it to them too and let our LB's unleash hell on them.

Go Tigers.

Re: They've yet to face a D like ours

Nov 11, 2014, 10:11 PM

Grady Jarret is the key. Last year he and the rest of the line took away the dive. If they do that again this year, I like our chances. I think Anthony will eat their QB up all night. My concern is our POS offensive line.

This game scares the crap out of me every year.

Nov 12, 2014, 6:39 AM

Especially when we play in Atlanta. I hate Georgia Tech!

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic