Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Venables, Clemson defense thriving in close games
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

New Story: Venables, Clemson defense thriving in close games

Oct 21, 2014, 5:01 PM

Venables, Clemson defense thriving in close games

Clemson’s football team has played two thrilling games over the last couple of weeks, relying on the defense for a last-minute stop on both occasions in order to seal the victory. And while many fans may have been close to a panic attack or heart failure, defensive coordinator Brent Venables was having fun. He also thinks that winning these close games will give his team an advantage down the stretch.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Venables, Clemson defense thriving in close games

Oct 21, 2014, 5:13 PM

It's a good thing to see, how many times during Tommy's day did our D give up that late TD. I can remember more than not.

Oct 21, 2014, 5:22 PM

Clemson is so lucky to have Coach Venables at the Defensive helm. He encourages hard work and cohesiveness from all his players and it has shined bright. The defense has improved every game and the numbers show it. Keep up the good work Coach and make the TIGER NATION PROUD !!!!!

Most fans are always concerned when Chad is gonna leave

Oct 21, 2014, 5:50 PM

But we better be more concerned about Coach V leaving. We're fixing to start seeing him be mentioned for head coaching jobs after this season.

Re: Most fans are always concerned when Chad is gonna leave

Oct 21, 2014, 6:20 PM

From what I've heard he's waiting for Coach Snyder to retire from K-State, his alma mater, and that he's a shoe-in for that job, and likely the only job he'd leave at this point for - especially when he knows Snyder retiring could happen in the next 1-3yrs or so...so let's hope he takes a few more years to retire.

I may be in the minority but I don't see any of our coaches

Oct 22, 2014, 6:17 AM [ in reply to Most fans are always concerned when Chad is gonna leave ]

leaving anytime soon. They are building cohesiveness among themselves too and the "family" that they talk about is not just talk. I am thoroughly enjoying all that they are doing---coaches and players!

Don't forget in both cases poor D caused the situation.

Oct 21, 2014, 6:53 PM

While I'm glad they were able to keep both from scoring, it was the D's fault that it was that close.

You're kidding I'm assuming

Oct 21, 2014, 6:57 PM

Past three games our defense has held the opponent to something like 250 yards or less TOTAL YARDAGE.

We won, so I'm not sure why we are playing the blame game. But if anything needs to mentioned it is our red zone scoring on offense. The defense is the only reason we are staying in these games to have a chance at the end.

Did you miss the end of last two games?

Oct 21, 2014, 7:38 PM

Louisville - D gives up, what was it, an 80+ yard play down to the 8 because they were out of position. One busted play can mean the difference b/w a win and a loss. We're lucky the D was able to gut it out and keep them from scoring. Louisville had 1st and goal from the 8 yard line...should have scored!

BC - D gives up several big chunks on BC's last drive, I think one was for 32 yds, that allow BC a chance to win the game. Luckily the little short BC receiver dropped a pass that was right in his hands that should have been a TD on a wheel route. Again, the D guts it out to win.

Not saying they didn't play a he!! of a game but every game they have one or two series that just can't be explained. Should never have been in either situation and both times it was b/c of the D.

BV even said those couple of plays are the difference...

Oct 21, 2014, 7:40 PM

between being good and being great.

Re: Did you miss the end of last two games?

Oct 21, 2014, 8:22 PM [ in reply to Did you miss the end of last two games? ]

Sorry, but you are upset at the wrong thing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2014, 9:03 PM [ in reply to Did you miss the end of last two games? ]

> Louisville - D gives up, what was it, an 80+ yard
> play down to the 8 because they were out of position.
> One busted play can mean the difference b/w a win and
> a loss. We're lucky the D was able to gut it out and
> keep them from scoring. Louisville had 1st and goal
> from the 8 yard line...should have scored!
>
> BC - D gives up several big chunks on BC's last
> drive, I think one was for 32 yds, that allow BC a
> chance to win the game. Luckily the little short BC
> receiver dropped a pass that was right in his hands
> that should have been a TD on a wheel route. Again,
> the D guts it out to win.
>
> Not saying they didn't play a he!! of a game but
> every game they have one or two series that just
> can't be explained. Should never have been in either
> situation and both times it was b/c of the D.

UtilTiger, I am at a total loss at trying to understand your logic. I guess in your view the offense played an awesome game and bailed out our D in both games.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2014, 11:25 PM

What's so hard to understand about what he is saying? We could have lost to Louisville and BC, and giving up that bomb to FSU was a major reason we lost that game.

That bomb is not the major reason we lost the FSU game.

Oct 22, 2014, 4:10 PM

Shooting ourselves in the foot, several times, is the reason we lost that game. Not, that one play.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Re: Don't forget in both cases poor D caused the situation.

Oct 21, 2014, 7:38 PM [ in reply to Don't forget in both cases poor D caused the situation. ]

The D has stepped up and done their job when it counts. Leading the nation in TFL, that had to tell you something

Re: Don't forget in both cases poor D caused the situation.

Oct 21, 2014, 8:15 PM [ in reply to Don't forget in both cases poor D caused the situation. ]

Poor D? What? The defense has been playing lights out. Too much tailgating maybe....?

I think the two above have deeper issues than just too much

Oct 22, 2014, 6:21 AM

tailgating....

while we strive for perfection, it is very difficult to

Oct 22, 2014, 6:20 AM [ in reply to Don't forget in both cases poor D caused the situation. ]

accomplish but they responded in a very positive way. They are just making sure that we enjoy ourselves.

Oct 21, 2014, 7:43 PM

"And while many fans may have been close to a panic attack or heart failure, defensive coordinator Brent Venables was having fun."

The difference between confidence and Tigernet wussies. You know who you are. And you were out in force on game night the last 2 weeks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

lol me too! my wife said The Tigers are gonna give her a

Oct 22, 2014, 6:22 AM

heart attack and I told her I love these games.....when we win em. Keep up the great work D!

Oct 21, 2014, 8:31 PM

I'm thrilled to see D back in Clemson football but some of you share my concern too. Our D plays lights out for 98% of the game but seems to give up big plays late. Some will blame the O for that but in the FSU, UL and BC games we had the greater TOP in those 2nd halves. Can't blame it on being tired. Very thankful BC dropped some passes. Safety's got caught looking in window several times. We're not guarding the corners late either. UGA exploited that. I understand lotta youth out there and I'm tickled as punch with coach V......just saying.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2014, 9:09 PM

I recorded all the games so it appears I need to go back and view them again because I am not watching the same game some of you folks are watching.

# 2 pass defense in the Nation, Top 10 in total defense. What am I missing here?

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2014, 9:35 PM

I'm taking from what Utiltiger said is he blames the D for giving up the big chunks of yardage at the end of these last two games. Therefore it is their fault, no matter how well they played up to that point, that the Defense had to save the game for themselves. Which that is how the game is played I believe. But he left out that the offense didn't score at all in the Louisville game and the defense did so I'm not sure what else the defense could have done other than stop the opposing team from scoring more than us?
And yes the Defense does tend to give up those big plays but let's face it, Morris has made terrible play calls on the offensive side of the ball when we are in short yardage, ( less than an inch in some cases), which could have put the games away earlier so the defense would not have been battling to keep the opposition from scoring late. I really wish he could learn to adjust his play calling otherwise he is a good OC but his unchanging nature costs the team a lot.
SO the defense under Venables is doing a great job and they are the reason we are winning these last two games period.

I do see what they are saying but they just don't get it. It

Oct 22, 2014, 6:26 AM

is a very rare thing to play a perfect game and that's all it is, a couple of issues here and there but nothing for us to be concerned about. The coaches and players will continue to work and get better at those issues.

Re: I do see what they are saying but they just don't get it. It

Oct 22, 2014, 12:45 PM

The Offense are the ones who need to come back from vacation and get the job done. Cole's performance Sat was a step in the right direction for him.

D has played well but gave upig plays at end to FSU,

Oct 21, 2014, 11:12 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Venables, Clemson defense thriving in close games ]

L'ville, and BC. W/O those big errors we beat FSU, and no suspense in the other two.
Playing better but not complete game yet.

big***

Oct 21, 2014, 11:13 PM

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic