Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Venables says mistakes the difference between a good and a great performance
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

New Story: Venables says mistakes the difference between a good and a great performance

Oct 19, 2014, 9:01 AM

Venables says mistakes the difference between a good and a great performance

Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables liked what he saw out of his defense for much of Saturday's 17-13 win over Boston College, but he said enough mistakes were made to keep his group from getting overconfident. Photo by Mark L. Baer / USATODAY Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe one day we'll have a top flight O, dominant D and

Oct 19, 2014, 9:12 AM

outstanding special teams... in the same season

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe one day we'll have a top flight O, dominant D and

Oct 19, 2014, 9:39 AM

Exactly right! And I eagerly await for that day. I guess that's what keeps most of us coming back for more.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

maybe one day we'll have fans across the board....

Oct 19, 2014, 10:07 AM [ in reply to Maybe one day we'll have a top flight O, dominant D and ]

who understand and appreciate the detailed aspects of football concepts (X's and O's) combined with the difficulties of molding young men all in an intensely competitive and faux-amateur atmosphere,

who truly understand, empathize, and respect the personal commitment of the coaches and players (the vast majority of whom will NOT make a living in football), and who can therefore routinely show the appropriate level of humility for one simply sitting at home on a couch, and

who respond by uniformly putting their efforts into talking about how good our program is....all in the same year.

You know what: I'll bet you everything you've ever earned that Dabo & Co. succeeds before the fans do.

I get it... just be satisfied to win 10 a year and don't talk about

Oct 19, 2014, 10:29 AM

Anything of concern because it isn't the multi-million $ a year coach's fault, it is just bad luck. Funny how we always have such bad luck.

That said, I am proud of the program overall and have always been and still am a big Dabo advocate. He has been awesome for Clemson and deserves a ton of leeway in my opinion. He is doing it with class and ethics.

Sorry if I question the mighty Morris.

Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I get it... just be satisfied to win 10 a year and don't talk about

Oct 19, 2014, 1:06 PM

So wishing that we had a really good offense makes one a "bad" fan?? And, I guess Coach
Venables lamenting mistakes by the D makes him a bad coach. Let's just issue cheerleader
uniforms to everyone and censor all posts made on this board. That way we won't have to be
bothered by any realistic discussion of issues regarding the team.

All major programs have million dollar coaches. Stop acting

Oct 19, 2014, 8:51 PM [ in reply to I get it... just be satisfied to win 10 a year and don't talk about ]

Like the money even matters. Charlie Weiss duped Notre #### and Kansas out of millions. Just because you dump money on a coach doesn't mean you are entitled to win squat.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then those coaches not getting it done shouldn't expect

Oct 20, 2014, 2:10 AM

To be paid multi-millions of $ for very long.

that's right! we've got one on here that I will not name

Oct 20, 2014, 6:22 AM [ in reply to All major programs have million dollar coaches. Stop acting ]

that keeps complaining about our OC and always brings up how much he makes....seems a bit foolish to me too.

Don't argue with 2 coot fans. Their opinions matters ZERO.***

Oct 20, 2014, 11:14 AM [ in reply to All major programs have million dollar coaches. Stop acting ]

you know who's fans don't complain much?

Oct 19, 2014, 10:38 AM [ in reply to maybe one day we'll have fans across the board.... ]

You know who's fans don't complain about the coaches much? Georgia Tech! I am in the heart of Yellow Jacket territory and Jacket fans don't complain much about their coach. Well on the way to a 7-5 season and they'll be happy for it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

He'd probably be happy at 7-5, too.

Oct 19, 2014, 3:16 PM

People like this don't have standards, that would be a possible cause for failure and criticism.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

just because they're happy with 7-5 doesn't mean we are***

Oct 20, 2014, 6:23 AM

Tigercook doesn't know many Tech fans undoubtedly.

Oct 20, 2014, 11:19 AM [ in reply to He'd probably be happy at 7-5, too. ]

Tech fans I know are not happy, especially having to deal with the AJC and the dawgs fans bragging.

I'm with you, epifunny

Oct 19, 2014, 12:39 PM [ in reply to maybe one day we'll have fans across the board.... ]

Let's look at the best-case (and most likely) scenario for the rest of the season: 10-2 (with both losses to top 10 teams), beating USC, and a berth in the Orange Bowl. There are about 120 Division I teams that would trade places with Clemson in a heartbeat. Add to that the fact that we are playing at that level year-in and year-out, which means we're always in the mix for the elite level.

Let me ask this question to the complainers: Short of a national championship, what would constitute a "successful" year to you?

Love how sunshine pumpers insist that

Oct 19, 2014, 3:15 PM [ in reply to maybe one day we'll have fans across the board.... ]

being blindly optimistic is the only way to be a true fan.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

blindly optimistic?

Oct 19, 2014, 4:32 PM

I love how arse-holes who have been on TNET for awhile act like they own the rights to all that is expected of Clemson.

It's like your you think your TNET membership # multiplied by your # of TNET posts automatically bestows an equal amount of IQ points.

The OP gave his assessment, or his daily does of twisted negativity. Then I gave mine.

If he can demand perfection out of the program, then I don't know why I can't expect perfection out of all the hangers'-on and bandwagoneers who eagerly butcher the term "fan" at every opportunity.

It really is too bad that we can't have 2011's offense to go with this year's defense. What a team that would be. I think about it too; but unlike a fair number of arroganteers on here, I don't drift into the NeverLand where it is "expected" of the program or somehow set up as a benchmark for success of the program. Certainly, the stars aligning as such doesn't happen too often,

and the implied foolishness that the OP "knows" how to deliver more than Dabo & Co is just the OP's arrogance run amok.

It gets tiresome. Check the ego at the door; post something new; actually analyze something; heck, give us some real X's and O's for once. Something new; whatever.

Just don't show up at the door with a '64 Beetle that has one of those "do-it-yourself" hoods on it, and expect me to call your submission a Rolls-Royce. Your ego doesn't mean that much to me.

Re: blindly optimistic?

Oct 19, 2014, 5:53 PM

I wasn't logged in but after reading your post, I just had to so I could give you a thumbs up.
I am so sick of all the negative garbage and making out like those who are positive about the program are stupid. There is nothing wrong with being positive and all of the negative garbage does nothing to help anything. I would like to know how all of the negative comments and constant bitching and complaining helps Clemson in any way at all?!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: blindly optimistic?

Oct 20, 2014, 2:23 AM [ in reply to blindly optimistic? ]

I don't begrudge folks being optimistic or pessimistic actually. To me, both are legitimate. I prefer realism myself except when it comes to something that I think is a chronic problem.

And I rarely blame the players because the coaches are the ones recruiting them and putting the on the field and making all the $.

Bitching is therapy for some folks. I say live and let live.

Oh and I almost forgot...

Oct 20, 2014, 2:26 AM [ in reply to blindly optimistic? ]

Most folks on these boards cannot be as smart as you Epi, so stop expecting them to "national champion" caliber fans like yourself. Most are perennial 10-2 types at best. I'm more like an 8-4er myself. ??

Well, what have you done that the pumpers don't do

Oct 20, 2014, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Love how sunshine pumpers insist that ]

that is ensuring success? Would love to know.

The same wish for every fan and all teams

Oct 19, 2014, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Maybe one day we'll have a top flight O, dominant D and ]

This year even Bama and FSU fans feel the same way.

Our kick off return and coverage teams are sad ...

Oct 19, 2014, 12:19 PM [ in reply to Maybe one day we'll have a top flight O, dominant D and ]

We're better off taking a touch-back on kickoffs most of the time that trying for a return, and we've given up big returns several times this year that have contributed to unnecessarily close games and even a loss.

Venables would be a great head coach!

Oct 19, 2014, 10:39 AM

never pleased, always pushing for more and always accountable!

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

2 wide open dropped BC passes would've

Oct 19, 2014, 10:49 AM

Made a loss for us. Very close game.

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

We we're due to have a game like against BC

Oct 20, 2014, 2:28 AM

Kelly's drop still stings

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Re: We were due ... good pull!

Oct 20, 2014, 6:33 AM

I thought about that very play when the BC kid dropped the winning pass Saturday ... dropped passes happen and even the best defenses benefit from them.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YES it does. UGH

Oct 20, 2014, 11:39 AM [ in reply to We we're due to have a game like against BC ]

This game was a little payback, however that other game cost us a shot at the ACCCG. Not quite the same.

Part of football. Next observation?:***

Oct 20, 2014, 11:27 AM [ in reply to 2 wide open dropped BC passes would've ]

It's like our O Gave the BC O 10 Do Overs

Oct 19, 2014, 10:53 AM

I don't think it was right to criticize the defense considering that they played most of the game. When the offense goes three and out, we basically give their offense a do over with a 40 yard punt penalty. We are going to need better production on offense and Watson better be ready to start against GT. This game was painful to watch. Especially at the end. We should have been able to get a first down. Very pathetic IMO. The though of Stoudt sliding 5 yards short of a first down makes me furious that Watson stiff armed his way to a first down.

Re: It's like our O Gave the BC O 10 Do Overs

Oct 19, 2014, 10:57 AM

Watching Stoudt slide 5 yards short of a first down makes me furious that Watson stiff armed his way to a first down. Takes me back to Cullen Harper days.

Re: It's like our O Gave the BC O 10 Do Overs

Oct 19, 2014, 1:04 PM

The reigning Heisman trophy winner stuff armed someone in his game last night.

Stoudt didn't need to be stiff arming anyone, one more shot

Oct 19, 2014, 5:13 PM [ in reply to It's like our O Gave the BC O 10 Do Overs ]

on his shoulder and he's out too. If you don't like Stoidt, you'd really not be happy with our 3rd stringer.

Re: Stoudt didn't need to be stiff arming anyone, one more shot

Oct 20, 2014, 11:10 AM

don't you know the back-up qb is the best player on the team?? ;)

considering we won the TOP batte

Oct 20, 2014, 2:26 AM [ in reply to It's like our O Gave the BC O 10 Do Overs ]

I would say you don't know what you're talking about

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

defense played "most of the game" what are you talking

Oct 20, 2014, 11:40 AM [ in reply to It's like our O Gave the BC O 10 Do Overs ]

about? Clemson won the time of possession by OVER 10 MINUTES.

The O does not leave much room for any D mistakes

Oct 19, 2014, 10:59 AM

Our D has been the shining Stars of this season for sure

Marlborocountycapon = tigerfanjack

Oct 19, 2014, 12:48 PM

Re: New Story: Venables says mistakes the difference between a good and a great performance

Oct 19, 2014, 5:01 PM

I've been critical of Morris and remain optimistically skeptical. But I think he's done a remarkable job lately considering all the injuries, youth and position changes. I'm so proud of this team, coaches and players. That win against BC was remarkable on many levels and it's a shame some of you are so short sighted. Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Venables says mistakes the difference between a good and a great performance

Oct 19, 2014, 8:03 PM

Great Gobs of Goose Grease!! I can't believe the absolute knit picking! It's obvious DW is the best QB, but CS led us to victory. Every winning QB has near picks, bad passes and "what ifs". It's part of the game. Cole isn't the big play kinda guy but he's got talents, if properly utilized, we can win with. And he and Morris showed that Saturday. I read these posts Cuz I love to read what people are thinking. Even criticisms. Yes, criticisms! But I wish some of you would come off not sounding like some juvenile, 15 yr old. Do us all a favor and exercise some reasoning and leave your adolescent emotions off the board.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 20, 2014, 11:12 AM

besides it is 100% sure DW isn't gonna play for awhile....

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic