Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Can Cole Stoudt win the starting job back? Morris says yes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 76
| visibility 1

New Story: Can Cole Stoudt win the starting job back? Morris says yes

Oct 15, 2014, 7:01 AM

Can Cole Stoudt win the starting job back? Morris says yes

Chad Morris wanted to make it clear early in his press conference this week that Cole Stoudt didn’t lose the job as Clemson’s starting quarterback: Deshaun Watson won it. He also says that if Stoudt plays well over the next month, he can earn that starting job back. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Can Cole Stoudt win the starting job back? Morris says yes

Oct 15, 2014, 7:45 AM

I hope we can score early and often this week. The right scheme and an OL that comes out ready to play and knock somebody off the ball would be nice to see this week. Get that done, and we will cruise.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2014, 9:50 PM

That would be nice, but it's not going to happen. I wonder about Chad. Is
he losing it? He can't see that our OL is lousy, that Cole can't run, and that
his offense sucks? And he still thinks that Cole is a top QB who can run. Is
he really a top OC?

Oct 17, 2014, 8:49 AM

Many questions. It does seem that something is seriously missing from this team, so far. I know that the loss of Sammy and Tahj were huge, but we need to move on and get this fixed with what we now have. We certainly seem to have lost the ability or desire to run at a very fast pace this year. That might help mitigate some of our deficiencies if we stepped it up a little.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

coach speak, of course he wouldn't say NO***

Oct 15, 2014, 7:53 AM

^^^ Ed Zachary ^^^

Oct 15, 2014, 9:48 AM

Watson will cruise back into the starting line-up as soon as he is healthy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: coach speak, of course he wouldn't say NO***

Oct 15, 2014, 12:57 PM [ in reply to coach speak, of course he wouldn't say NO*** ]

what did you expect him to say ;some people can ask the dumbest question

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2014, 9:58 PM

I expected him to give a realistic, semi-truthful answer, not defensive, preposterous
hogwash. Can he imagine that anyone believes that BS??

Oct 15, 2014, 1:06 PM [ in reply to coach speak, of course he wouldn't say NO*** ]

If Watson does not recover quickly enough, then Stoudt will win the starting job back.

Oct 16, 2014, 10:02 PM

"Win?" It's his by default. So now, he's a great QB? Chad is really disappointing.

Oct 15, 2014, 2:32 PM [ in reply to coach speak, of course he wouldn't say NO*** ]

Ahhhh you had my same thoughts. Did they really truly think that Chad was going to say no, no Cole has no chance of taking the starting job back. A no answer would have killed Cole's incentive for doing his best. If they were fishing for Chad to give them a stupid answer, they should have ask him again why we don't play under center in short yardage situations, again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only if he is competing with Schuessler***

Oct 15, 2014, 8:16 AM

null

Our OL knock someone off the ball?

Oct 15, 2014, 8:23 AM

When's the last time we've seen that consistently over an entire game, against the better competition?

As far as Stoudt goes, what he said about keeping the job is coachspeak at its finest. What else is he going to say?

yall leave cole alone

Oct 15, 2014, 8:30 AM

Of course he can win the starting job back. He knows he has a golden opportunity to prove himself. Will he do it? Probably not, but we need to get behind him while DW is recovering because hes all we have

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The last time was...BCS bowl win?

Oct 15, 2014, 9:30 AM [ in reply to Our OL knock someone off the ball? ]

..when we had a deeper and more cohesive OL? Is that the right answer?

Yeah, I think it's common knowledge we're still trying to find that this year.

Oct 15, 2014, 8:34 AM

All I know is the only thing that really matters the rest of the way is beating the Coots. Get DW ready for the beat down in Nov.

Oct 15, 2014, 2:50 PM

I honestly think we can beat the coots with Nick Schuessler as our starting QB. Their D isn't near what it was last year. And our D will be to much for them, and in Dylan Thompson's face all game!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm glad the coots aren't in my mind that bad. Might as

Oct 15, 2014, 11:20 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Can Cole Stoudt win the starting job back? Morris says yes ]

well call it a one game season each year. Forget any type of championship.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm glad the coots aren't in my mind that bad. Might as

Oct 16, 2014, 10:06 PM

He$$, I've done that already.

Oct 15, 2014, 8:38 AM

Funny MO and Dabo never came out and said DW could take the job from CS but it is okay to say CS could take the job from DW after he sacrificed his finger? DW is going to suffer some before his finger heals and now MO adds to his pain? HOW incensitive to say the least

Oct 15, 2014, 9:01 AM

He would have to play allot better but if he plays lights out and has the hot hand when DW heals it works be hard to pull him now I am talking 85 our better qbr, and averaging 30-45 pts a game with,3-450 yrds passing per game, would be hard to just pull him

Oct 16, 2014, 10:08 PM

We lose 2 more games.

Funnier how you lose to teams like UT and UK year in year

Oct 15, 2014, 12:00 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Can Cole Stoudt win the starting job back? Morris says yes ]

out. Has your head coach ever taken the blame for his asinine 4th down failures in both those losses?

Were you dropped on your head as a child? Obviously something went haywire upstairs somewhere along the line. ####.

Oct 15, 2014, 2:52 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Can Cole Stoudt win the starting job back? Morris says yes ]

Oh how cootish of you!!!

Oct 16, 2014, 10:07 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Can Cole Stoudt win the starting job back? Morris says yes ]

Cole will be crushed by BC.

If Cole Stoudt starts the USuC game

Oct 15, 2014, 8:42 AM

With a healthy Watson on the bench, and we lose, I will go ####### crazy!

The entire stadium will. But you don't have to worry about that

Oct 15, 2014, 9:12 AM

Cole stoudt can't play well enough to win it back. And even if he did deshaun would take it back. Of course the coaches are going to say that because we depend on cole to play good until the last 2-3 games. If anyone beat deshaun out that person should be sent straight to the nfl and banned from college football because he is too good and no one cole stop him

Remember Reggie Merriweather?

Oct 15, 2014, 9:50 AM [ in reply to If Cole Stoudt starts the USuC game ]

That was CRAZY!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Translation: Not sure if Watson will be 100% again in 2014***

Oct 15, 2014, 8:52 AM

If Will Proctor and Cullen Harper had a baby

Oct 15, 2014, 8:53 AM

that baby would be Cole Stoudt

I LOL'd***

Oct 15, 2014, 8:56 AM

Re: If Will Proctor and Cullen Harper had a baby

Oct 15, 2014, 9:13 AM [ in reply to If Will Proctor and Cullen Harper had a baby ]

Hahahahaha

Point ---- nice***

Oct 15, 2014, 9:36 AM [ in reply to If Will Proctor and Cullen Harper had a baby ]

Lmao!!!***

Oct 15, 2014, 11:58 AM [ in reply to If Will Proctor and Cullen Harper had a baby ]

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2014, 11:58 AM [ in reply to If Will Proctor and Cullen Harper had a baby ]

You are a booger eating moron !!!

Oct 15, 2014, 2:51 PM

The real issue is Kurt Fleming isn't playing

Will? Cullen?***

Oct 15, 2014, 7:10 PM [ in reply to Re: If Will Proctor and Cullen Harper had a baby ]

Oct 16, 2014, 10:12 PM [ in reply to Re: If Will Proctor and Cullen Harper had a baby ]

Wow, that's an intelligent observation. You obviously didn't go to Clemson.

If Watson comes back with no drop and CM starts Cole vs SC

Oct 15, 2014, 9:07 AM

My head will explode. Every year there is SOMETHING that happens when we play those chickens. That better not be it.

So basically the process starts all over

Oct 15, 2014, 9:12 AM

The same as in the beginning of the year. Coles the starter and Watson will have to come back and show why he took the job in the first place. My guess, cole starts GT and Watson comes in and does good but they say they are still testing his hand. Cole and Watson split most of the time against ga st. and we are all praying Watson is named starter against the coots.

Re: So basically the process starts all over

Oct 15, 2014, 9:28 AM

Do not like the sound of this

Oct 15, 2014, 10:17 AM

Me neither but the way Dabo and Chad have slow played personnel changes so far this season I would be surprised that when Watson is back healthy enough to play they just pull Cole and put DW back in without there being some type of transition period. Best case Watson gets to start GA ST but unless Watson see's PT in the Wake game, which seems unlikely, I don't think they will start him at GT, he'll play at GT especially if we get down, but he won't start. Just my opinion on the situation.

Oct 16, 2014, 10:18 PM [ in reply to Re: So basically the process starts all over ]

Like running for 1/2 yard at 4 yards back in the shotgun with a QB who can't run?

Oct 15, 2014, 9:24 AM

He just needs to play decent this week and not turn the ball over, Cuse and Wake we should be able to handle regardless. If Watson is ready to go against GT then it all depends on Cole's play this week. I wouldn't put to much stock in what he does against Cuse and Wake, even if he lit them up. Cole needs to manage the game and run the offense, he can make throws if given time....he just can't play scared like last week.

how about starter Stanford transfer David Olson

Oct 15, 2014, 9:28 AM

If S boys injured

Re: how about starter Stanford transfer David Olson

Oct 15, 2014, 9:31 AM

He has to sit out a year I'm pretty sure.

Oct 15, 2014, 9:41 AM

good lord olsen was not a starter at stanford. he hardly even played a down. and no, he doesnt have to sit out a year. geeeeeez.

Oct 15, 2014, 9:58 AM

lol this stiff

Oct 15, 2014, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Re: how about starter Stanford transfer David Olson ]

Correct on not having to set out. Pretty sure he graduated already, is furthering his education with one year of eligibility and is why he doesn't have to set out a year. That's the rule.

Oct 15, 2014, 12:40 PM [ in reply to Re: how about starter Stanford transfer David Olson ]

Lol hey we could always thr

Oct 15, 2014, 12:42 PM

Throw Vic Beasley back there. He was a scout team QB for us as a freshman. Lol these people on here are cracking me up! I kid about Beasley hope someone doesn't think I'm serious a run with it, but this is TNet so....

Oct 16, 2014, 10:24 PM [ in reply to Re: how about starter Stanford transfer David Olson ]

We are one hit away from being down to or 3rd string QB. If I'm not mistaken,
the QB from Stanford can play this year. May be wrong.

Oct 16, 2014, 10:26 PM

you are very wrong about a lot but olsen can indeed play. just what we need. a guy that has taken 3 snaps in his career.

Oct 16, 2014, 10:33 PM

Well, not give him a try? He certainly passes the eye test. We can't do
much worse at this point.

Oct 15, 2014, 9:33 AM

Tigertricks, will that be a padded or non padded room for you when U go crazy? Coaching Staff will probably test DW'so hand all the way to USC. Will be like the GA and FSU game, DW probably will not see back to back series to build any momentum. The main thing I'm worried about is this weekend. Will Dabo and Chad bring in Nick if Cole can't get it done? And with Nick taking all the 1st team snaps last week in practice, why was he not used in Louisville game to at least try to turn things around. Chad has said more times than most of us can count that "Nick is on scholarship for a.reason". It sure doesn't show anything but coach speak.

Oct 16, 2014, 10:31 PM

Who knows what Chad means? I thought Schleussler was part of the Kmdieche scam; along
with the RB (Gallman?) we took. So now, they are premier players? Give me a break.

Soon as I saw this- I knew the responses would be amusing

Oct 15, 2014, 9:40 AM

Guaranteed no to be disappointed.

Have you never heard "coach-speak" before?

Oct 15, 2014, 9:41 AM

Watson won the starting job and he is the starter when he heals. Of course Morris is going to say that Stoudt could win the job back. What motivation would Cole have if Morris says, "Nah, that ship has sailed. Watson is our starter and Cole is just keeping his seat warm til Watson gets back". Come on people, have some freaking common sense!

Re: Have you never heard "coach-speak" before?

Oct 15, 2014, 10:53 AM

unless Stoudt wakes up with Watsons arms and legs, I see Watson getting the start back as soon as he's healed. I support Cole, but Watson is a better QB hands down

Re: Have you never heard "coach-speak" before?

Oct 16, 2014, 10:35 PM [ in reply to Have you never heard "coach-speak" before? ]

He could at least been less dishonest.

If this were Space Jam he could steal DW's talent...

Oct 15, 2014, 11:54 AM

But since this is reality, there is no chance of him winning the starting job back. Way to pump up the old ego Coach Morris, I see you working.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What do you want him to say?

Oct 15, 2014, 1:04 PM

That he can't and kill all the confidence Cole might have left

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Re: What do you want him to say?

Oct 15, 2014, 1:32 PM

And the Cole bashing continues....it's never ending. For the love of God, we all KNOW DW is better in every way but coaches have to say motivational things that might not be completely truthful for the sake of the present and not in 4-5 weeks! I just know that no matter what Cole does this weekend and the next 3-4 weeks, he already knows his place and at that time and he'll move over for the sake of the team "because no one person is bigger than team"-Cole Stoudt.

Re: What do you want him to say?

Oct 16, 2014, 10:55 PM [ in reply to What do you want him to say? ]

Come on. Cole accepted a scholarship at a top 29 Div. 1 program. He had to be aware
that his status would be based on performance. If he can't accept that, he should
play at a lower-level program. I have my doubts as to whether or not he should even be on
scholarship at Clemson. That's just my opinion. These are athletes who have competed for
years. I don't believe that he can win for a us, but hope I'm totally wrong. I can't imagine that
any of these athletes are so "tender-hearted" that they can't accept the realities of big-time
college football.

1 Question...

Oct 15, 2014, 4:55 PM

where the HECK is David Olson!!
U going going tell me, he spent 4 yrs at Stanford and can't beat out #18, really???!!

Sad.

Re: 1 Question...

Oct 16, 2014, 2:27 AM

Well, he didn't beat out Kevin Hogan who is a decent quarterback but hasn't developed the way we would like out here. Folks seem to forget that Boyd barely beat out Stoudt for the starting job a few years ago and then Cole never got another real chance. Also there were a couple of games where the wheels came off of Boyd's game and Stoudt came in and got the offense moving again. He just needs plays that play to his strengths of quick reads and precision passing, and not trying to make him a Tajh Boyd clone.

Coach-speak is when coaches believe others are as dumb

Oct 15, 2014, 8:51 PM

as the least literate players and coaches. Then they have a license to motivate with the most absurdly ridiculous and repetitive comments. Well I'll be pulling for Cole to have a few games to the best of his ability, and praying Deshaun returns to health soon. Go Tigers!

Oct 15, 2014, 9:30 PM

Yes, we've been explosive against most teams in the last 3.5 yrs but not against SEC-like, physical D's.

Oct 15, 2014, 10:49 PM

It seems to me that Cole Stoudt has been hamstrung by the coaches as much as anything else. It seems as if they are expecting him to be a Tajh Boyd clone, rather than being best at what he does in that offense. When Stoudt has played well, his style is more reminiscent of Joe Montana than Colin Kaepernick, and yet they don't call plays that way. Why is it that Stoudt had great affinity for the tight ends all spring and yet there were no plays called in the Georgia or FSU game to give him
the quick outlet? In the second half of the Georgia game, the coaches tried to pound the run against 8 in the box. Why no slants over the middle? Stoudt's game is quick reads and precise passing, but they call it like he is either supposed to run like Boyd or throw the deep ball. Even on running, Boyd never really pitched on the option, preferring to slug it up inside. I would thing Stoudt would use the option more to force the first guy to pick a spot, but it has to be called.

When Stoudt stops trying to be a replacement Boyd and starts running the plays that suit his skills, the defense will get shredded. It's a shame they aren't calling the plays for him.

And while I'm on weird coaching, what the heck did C.J. Davidson do to tick off the coaches? Too many yards per carry? All the guy does is run fast and slip tackles.

Oct 15, 2014, 11:02 PM

As for the Louisville game, Watson's numbers looked pretty awful before the injury. The coaches needed to adjust to what the defense left open, and when they did that with Stoudt, the offense moved the ball.

Oct 16, 2014, 11:07 PM

No QB can play w/o an offensive line, which we don't have.

Oct 15, 2014, 11:15 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Can Cole Stoudt win the starting job back? Morris says yes ]

So what do we say when a different QB comes in and does most of his damage on drop back passing and in the pocket. Peyton Manning is the slowest QB in the league but is still masterful at moving in the pocket.

Oct 16, 2014, 12:15 AM

You know, they don't consider Andrew Luck a great runner, but he gets
a lot of yards on smart scrambling. The point is, you adjust the play
calls to maximize the talent you have.

Does anyone remember what

Oct 16, 2014, 9:49 AM

Coach Ford once said...

"You can take a lineman and make a QB outta him..."

Kweshon to y'uns: Which lineman do we use if DW, CS, NS, and DO are unavailable?????

Oct 16, 2014, 11:09 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Can Cole Stoudt win the starting job back? Morris says yes ]

Are you really comparing Cole Stoudt to Peyton Manning?? That is beyond desperation.

Oct 16, 2014, 11:05 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Can Cole Stoudt win the starting job back? Morris says yes ]

D.J.'s fumble cost us the FSU game. He$$, anyone fumbles. But this coaching staff???
Look at Kurt Fleming, maybe our best back. One fumble when we had the game far out of
reach, and he's sitting on the bench. Our coaching staff has become senile.

Oct 17, 2014, 12:36 AM

Lots of things cost us the Florida State game. If Amon was hitting field goals, we would have run out the clock and kicked one, but we had to score a TD on that drive. If Deshaun took the snap under center, we would have had a QB sneak into the the end zone. If the snap hadn't been high, we might have still punched it in. If the ref had given us the spot, it would have been a moot point. There were lots of things besides the one fumble. CJ goes fast, slips tackles and gets great yardage. Good receiver out of the backfield. How is it that he isn't getting 15 touches a game?

Replies: 76
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic