Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is it just me, or do we get into a situation every year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 697

Is it just me, or do we get into a situation every year

Oct 13, 2014, 10:42 PM

where, due to injuries, we are extremely thin on the O-Line? It seems that every year in recent memory, we have been unable to build any quality depth and are always an injury or two away from all-out disaster on the O-line. Is this really the case? Have we not recruited enough O-linemen, or have we missed on or failed to develop the recruits? Or, is this just the way it is for everybody and their O-Line?

Thoughts?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

We have had injuries and guys have not panned out.***

Oct 13, 2014, 10:45 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yup..Injuries

Oct 13, 2014, 10:53 PM

Starts back with JK Jay. That was a man child. He'd been the best lineman on the team as a true freshman. Then he hurt his back. Patrick DeStefano, wouldve been a quality lineman, then hurts his neck and his career is over. We also lost Gifford Timothy to injury. Losing Shaq Anthony is now a huge loss. he wanted more playing time, then he should have played better, worked harder, studied more. Simply he shouldve earned the start. We need someone to Emerge like in 2011 when the walk on TE became our best Olineman at tackle Philip something i believe. He too got hurt but he was an anchor.

Okay, so it's injuries. Year after year? Are we uniquley

Oct 13, 2014, 11:05 PM

cursed, or is it normal for teams to lose multiple O-linemen every year? If so, how do they manage it, or are they in the same perennial predicament as us?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

It's a combination of a couple things

Oct 13, 2014, 11:07 PM

Roster size reduction to 85 players. Nobody has the depth like we did in the 1980's where you could have a full three deep. If you look at almost every roster out there and compare the number of scholarship OL to ours we are in the same range as everybody else numbers wise. It's easy for people to say "We need to sign more linemen" but for whatever reason they can't explain where else on the team they want to be thin at to sign additional linemen.

What has hurt is the attrition of some of our better players. How much better and deeper would our OL be this year with Gifford Timothy and Patrick Destephano? With the timing of both career endings we were going to be hurting this year depth wise any way we could have went. At that point the only chance we had was if we could have found a quality JUCO, and the difficulties we have bringing in JUCOs has been discussed enough, not to mention that since many JUCOs sign midyear we were talking about a compressed timeframe.

We aren't the only ones. Look at

Oct 13, 2014, 11:14 PM

FSU for example. They were supposed to have an all world O line and that hasn't panned out. Neither has Bama's or scar. During the offseason all I heard was how good those lines would be. Yet, I haven't seen it.

IMO, it's all about execution, depth, and fluidity. The best lines are cohesive and have unity. This might hurt us this season but it gets better. Especially when you bring in a stellar group that can bind together or at the worst be of help to your depth chart. We often hear how your team is only as good as your second unit. I find this to be especially true in regards to o lines.

We have had injuries on defense too this year....

Oct 13, 2014, 11:20 PM

yet we have guys that step up and played good. Sorry, but we aren't thin on the oline. No college team is thin at a position. There are 85 scholarship players, and walk-ons. So there are around 100 players on each college team. So you can say thin on talent, but not thin on players.

If you have kept up with recruiting, we have recruited just as well at oline as we have at other positions.

The problem with the oline is the coaching. And who coaches the oline, Robbie Caldwell. A coach who is in his sixties that before coming to Clemson, never coached for a quality program. Watch how the oline plays. They basically shuffle their feet once and stand still. Happens on nearly every play. Footwork is key to playing any position good, and our olinemen have incredibly terrible footwork.

It's bizarre that every coach on this staff, other than Caldwell, gets criticized by posters on this site. When the only real issue we have is the oline play. And who coaches that position? Not Dabo, not Chad Morris, not Danny Pearman. It's Robbie Caldwell. We had a very experienced oline last year, and they played well below average. Time to make a change.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dude...

Oct 13, 2014, 11:44 PM

We have one guy listed as a starter, and a backup and three other line positions.

That is as thin as it gets.

Our O-line was a problem last year? The O-line that paved the way for McDowell to run for 1,000 yards? That O-line was a problem? Really? The O-line that was a part of the team that finished 9th in the country in scoring? Huh?

Get a grip. We've been extremely unfortunate as far as losing offensive linemen the past few years.

Great question, and some surprisingly intuitive feedback

Oct 13, 2014, 11:44 PM

for a Tnet thread all around.

I think a lot of what you were looking for is up above.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 697
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic