Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Morris talks shotgun snap, going under center and running the Wildcat
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 88
| visibility 1

New Story: Morris talks shotgun snap, going under center and running the Wildcat

Oct 13, 2014, 2:53 PM

Morris talks shotgun snap, going under center and running the Wildcat

Offensive coordinator Chad Morris faced questions Monday morning about Clemson's failures in short-yardage situations, and he said that while he doesn't plan on changing too much of how he operates his offense there are other options. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I lol'd***

Oct 13, 2014, 3:01 PM

We do what we do and are what we are and that's it.

Oct 13, 2014, 3:02 PM

TOUCHDOWN BOYS!

touchdown?! Oh, you mean getting stuffed for -4 yards

Oct 13, 2014, 4:35 PM

on second and goal from the 1yd line and NOT getting a TD.

Re: touchdown?! Oh, you mean getting stuffed for -4 yards

Oct 13, 2014, 4:41 PM

You got to understand the sarcasm better AllTime

It was the 1/2 yard line. Losing 4 yards is AWFUL!!!***

Oct 13, 2014, 11:12 PM [ in reply to touchdown?! Oh, you mean getting stuffed for -4 yards ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How did OL perform on that play - 3 DL in our backfield.***

Oct 13, 2014, 11:13 PM

We've got to get Chad hired away by some school . . .

Oct 13, 2014, 11:21 PM [ in reply to touchdown?! Oh, you mean getting stuffed for -4 yards ]

his stubbornness is absurd. He's insufferable. I'm sick of hearing that "we do what we do." That's right Chad, $hit is as $hit does.

Re: We've got to get Chad hired away by some school . . .

Oct 14, 2014, 12:51 PM

The past two weeks we did not hear complaining when we was scoring 40 points. Lets give our coaches credit plz>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Oct 14, 2014, 4:06 PM [ in reply to We've got to get Chad hired away by some school . . . ]

Did you score below 100 on your IQ test? Morris is the reason we have done so well the last few years. Great recruits and great assistants. Dabo would have been long gone without him. I mean fired!

Oct 14, 2014, 4:43 PM [ in reply to We've got to get Chad hired away by some school . . . ]

AND YOUR IDIOCY IS ABSURD.

Says a lot when that is considered a good game by O-Line...

Oct 13, 2014, 3:02 PM

Yes, build on the last drive because that is all you have, but I believe it was due more to L'Ville running out of gas than good play up front. L'Ville was still able to bow up and keep us out of the end zone. Are these kids so fragile mentally that the coaches feel they always have to focus on the positive. Light a fire under their rear ends instead. They're big boys.....I think??

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Says a lot when that is considered a good game by O-Line...

Oct 13, 2014, 3:05 PM

#### right!

We had five freaking O linemen playing pretty much the

Oct 13, 2014, 4:29 PM

entire game.

We had five freaking O linemen playing pretty much the

Oct 13, 2014, 4:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Says a lot when that is considered a good game by O-Line... ]

entire game.

Oct 13, 2014, 3:16 PM [ in reply to Says a lot when that is considered a good game by O-Line... ]

Yeah, you tell'em, Genius. Go cut your own switch, boy, and bring it to me so I can give you a good old South Carolina hiding...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All for one and one for all.

Oct 13, 2014, 3:39 PM [ in reply to Says a lot when that is considered a good game by O-Line... ]

He somehow sees a different reality. It's not going to change. He still Cole can run. I frankly dread the BC game.

Oct 13, 2014, 3:40 PM

Correction: He still thinks Cole can run.

If you paid your money, you could edit your stupid posts

Oct 13, 2014, 8:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Says a lot when that is considered a good game by O-Line... ]

nm

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And we were able to bow up and keep Lville out

Oct 13, 2014, 6:35 PM [ in reply to Says a lot when that is considered a good game by O-Line... ]

of the end zone at the end of the game. Good defenses do what good defenses do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: New Story: Morris talks shotgun snap, going under center and running the Wildcat

Oct 13, 2014, 3:12 PM

I'm sorry Chad, but when you literally only need ONE INCH you have to be under center. If it was Tajh or maybe Deshaun I wouldn't have such a big problem with taking the snap 6 yards deep. Cole doesn't have a chance, his feet are stuck in concrete. Just get under center and push forward. You'll pick it up 9 times out of ten.

Re: New Story: Morris talks shotgun snap, going under center and running the Wildcat

Oct 13, 2014, 8:20 PM

I would say more like 99 out of 100. That said, I am presuming the OL can decide they will get the danged 1 inch needed by knocking someone off the ball a little. Maybe that is a lofty expectation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2014, 3:12 PM

Been a huge Morris fan ever since he came here, but what I don't understand is why he refuses to tweak his offense based off of his players. Tajh was made for the 3rd and 1 QB power, but we don't have him anymore. Stoudt is 205 lbs soaking wet, yet we continue to run with him in short yardage instead of going under the center and giving Choice the ball. Have yet to see it work once this year...Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

Oct 13, 2014, 3:49 PM

How dare you question the Great Chad:) He didn't phototcopy those pages from Malzahn's playbook therefore he can't adjust. I sit in the stands and more and more I hear the fans talk about good play wrong personnel. It's kind of like me having Rory McIlroy's caddie telling me how to play Augusta and just hit a draw 310 over the bunkers, right strategy wrong golfer.

Re: Fleming

Oct 13, 2014, 3:57 PM

No, they don't trust him. Dabo has all but said that. First and foremost, when he was called on to play the first time at State, he wasn't ready. That's straight from Dabo. Then once he does get out there, he fumbles not once, but twice, against a AA team. Dabo has already covered this, he's too green, and not ready right now. That's not even mentioning him having already been in the doghouse before the season even started. We've got more capable backs. The backs aren't the issue. The issue is Chad's stubbornness. He absolutely refuses to adjust a philosophy that isn't working and isn't showing any signs of working.

But but but, Fleming...***

Oct 13, 2014, 4:16 PM

Oct 13, 2014, 5:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Fleming ]

You don't know what you are talking about! He has one fumble and no one trusts him! What about Davidson's fumble against FSU - nobody trusts him either. Put him in and see what he can do. At least give him a shot. It can't hurt.

Oct 13, 2014, 5:33 PM

at least use him as a lead blocker. Let Reader run the ball ahla the Fridge.

Oct 13, 2014, 6:58 PM

He came in against nc state to block and he false started on the goal line. Apparently he is not ready. I wish he would get it together because he is fun to watch.

Oct 13, 2014, 7:06 PM

Exactly Davidson had a fumble and cost us the biggest win since 81 natty. But he's still in. And none of the backs are jumping off the tv to catch anybodys eye. But i guess we wont see gallman anymore after the missed blitz pick up. BecauseI dont rremember him going back in afterwards

Not really, Cole added 30 pounds of weight in the offseason

Oct 13, 2014, 4:37 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Morris talks shotgun snap, going under center and running the Wildcat ]

he weighed in at 231 at the start of fall camp. Might be one of the reasons why he's slower now. Last two years he could actually run a little bit. Not this year.

Oct 13, 2014, 5:32 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Morris talks shotgun snap, going under center and running the Wildcat ]

actually Stout is up to almost 230, but he is still slow and played with a shoulder that would have kept most players out of the game. I just think on short yardage we should have a jumbo package. I have never seen Dabo so mad on the sidelines as when we didn't pick up 4th and an inch. If I was him there would be a one on one with Chad and I would do all the talking!

Compounding matters it the fact that Cole was/is HURT.

Oct 13, 2014, 8:24 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Morris talks shotgun snap, going under center and running the Wildcat ]

Why take a limited runner with a banged up shoulder, move him three yards back, and then tell him to go get the first down?

If you're determined to not get under center, how it is possible we didn't have some sort of direct snap to the RB in?

Or just run a counter or something and race to the corner

Oct 14, 2014, 7:32 PM

With our line and backs we're not going to blow anyone off the ball in short yardage. At least I haven't seen it yet.

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Oct 13, 2014, 3:21 PM

He realizes Boyd has graduated, right? If you think you have to go to a Wildcat formation and are considering that as a solution...wouldn't being under center and either sneaking or run a quick hitting running play be just as teachable? If you need 6 inches, snapping it five yards deep and asking our line to sustain the blocks or drive the opponents back for any length of time to allow Choice or whoever to get back to the line of scrimmage and advance seems to be asking a bit much...we've seen the proof..

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2014, 3:42 PM

You are right, but somehow it doesn't get through.

Oct 13, 2014, 3:47 PM

Well my ? is this if our O Line played so well then why did we only have a little over 200 yards of total offense? I have been a huge fan of Chad Morris but sometimes u got to call a spade a spade!

Oct 13, 2014, 8:28 PM

Ding, Ding, Ding!!! Therein lies the problem. It's not new. It's 20+ years old. Hopefully that gets fixed in a couple of years with these new studly OL recruits, but they won't just come in and start next year. Our issues today are not focusing on the OL sooner, and the OL coach may just be a part of the problem, too. Not sure about that, yet.

This does not sound good.***

Oct 13, 2014, 3:27 PM

Oct 13, 2014, 3:32 PM

Morris strikes me as one of those coaches whose gonna dig in and refuse to admit the obvious. Usually that means more of the same. I am one of the few who liked his 2nd half adjustments and o line schemes Saturday but I'm concerned about his stubborn demeanor.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

try this

Oct 13, 2014, 3:38 PM

..........................NEXT TIME .... have the QB under center, give the ball to Fleming and I will not say a word if it fails! I will not say I told you so after we score!! Throwing passes from the one foot line ain't smart. The field is EXTREMELY small!!!

Re: try this

Oct 13, 2014, 3:45 PM

Amen!! But, I bet you he won't do it. He must be allergic to big strong backs who
are fast.

Big, strong backs who fumble***

Oct 13, 2014, 4:19 PM

I'm starting to dislike Fleming, just from having to hear

Oct 13, 2014, 4:18 PM [ in reply to try this ]

you fools whine for him. It's like the media's obsession with Tim Tebow.

Re: I'm starting to dislike Fleming, just from having to hear

Oct 13, 2014, 5:35 PM

actually Fleming's fumble was a result of a great strip by a d-back. not like he just dropped the ball. Hope Chad doesn't think a white boy can't play running back....

Re: I'm starting to dislike Fleming, just from having to hear

Oct 13, 2014, 5:40 PM

You may have just hit the nail on the head my friend!

Oct 13, 2014, 4:24 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Morris talks shotgun snap, going under center and running the Wildcat ]

> Morris strikes me as one of those coaches whose gonna
> dig in and refuse to admit the obvious.

He refuses to admit to any kind of wrong from the coaching side. Look at all his past interviews over the past few years. Not once does he ever admit to being wrong much less the possibility of making a poor coaching decision. He always diverts to problems with the players. Always.

Put Kurt Fleming in the wildcat

Oct 13, 2014, 3:38 PM

When William Perry was at Clemson, I used to scream, give the ball to the Fridge. Never happened. Fridge goes to Chicago, and guess what. You know it. I don't want to hear Fleming fumbled against SC State. Was the first team O line in? How many Bull Dogs was he dragging downfield? He's on a scolly, Chad. Practice the butter fingers out of him. Kids a beast. The second coming of Larry Czonka.

Re: Put Kurt Fleming in the wildcat

Guess who Czonka played for in college? He was a super star and was recruited by coach Howard but .....

Oct 13, 2014, 3:47 PM [ in reply to Put Kurt Fleming in the wildcat ]

I've been screaming the very same thing. They'll waste Fleming on the
bench still under the delusion that Cole can run with the ball.

John Riggins reincarnated. Play him.***

Oct 13, 2014, 3:49 PM [ in reply to Put Kurt Fleming in the wildcat ]

Re: John Riggins reincarnated. Morris doesn't know Riggins

Oct 13, 2014, 4:05 PM

uggh

Oct 13, 2014, 7:04 PM [ in reply to Put Kurt Fleming in the wildcat ]

agreed

As for our last offensive drive,

Oct 13, 2014, 3:42 PM

I think it was a case of their defense was worn down more than ours. Both offenses should have been pretty rested. What with multiple 3 & outs on both sides and all. Just sayin.

And before anybody asks about Kurt Fleming.........

I asked Chad if Kurt was an option, and he said, 'No, not really.' I know they've tried him a few times, and there have been penalties and fumbles and I get the sense the coaches just don't trust him right now.

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And before anybody asks about Kurt Fleming.........

Oct 13, 2014, 3:48 PM

Fair enough. Tell Chad we don't trust his play calling at the goal line.

Oct 13, 2014, 4:43 PM

Amen!

Oct 13, 2014, 4:53 PM

Yea FLEMMING fumbled, yea he jumped offsides, but how bout cj?? He fumbled in fsu game, mw has drooped how many passes in UGA loss? look at hopper dropping td pass this week. I don't want to hear bs from people who have never played the game. He's (kf) young...... So is dw, Scott is young, gsllman and choice. I would put my house on it..... That kf is a better pass blocker than any back we've got! Hands down. It's poor decisions on Dabo and Morris. Morris is losing stock every day.

Oct 13, 2014, 7:14 PM

I agree. Lakip missed some field goals and still kicking, Williams and Charone have dropped passes and are playing, so I don't buy the whole "fumbling" argument. Fleming runs like a bull. Put some receivers gloves on him and let him plow some road.

Oct 13, 2014, 3:48 PM [ in reply to And before anybody asks about Kurt Fleming......... ]

wah!!!

Oct 13, 2014, 4:39 PM

I think they should give him a chance.

Oct 13, 2014, 3:51 PM [ in reply to And before anybody asks about Kurt Fleming......... ]

One fumble, one false start. I think Chad's brain has fumbled. They, in fact, have not really tried Fleming. Tell it like it is. Plenty of excuses, but not a single offensive TD.

They see him every day at practice

Oct 13, 2014, 4:20 PM

How about you?

Unless the coaches feels that Fleming has no desire to get

Oct 13, 2014, 9:09 PM

on the field, they should do their job and coach him up! Give him the reps he needs to learn to hold onto the ball in heavy traffic. I really believe this guy will get that inch, that yard, that touchdown! Coach him!

McDonalds is still open when Tigers practice.***

Oct 13, 2014, 9:20 PM [ in reply to They see him every day at practice ]

Furman Little Girl***

Oct 13, 2014, 5:03 PM [ in reply to Re: And before anybody asks about Kurt Fleming......... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Pretty tired of this arrogant pr*ck

Oct 13, 2014, 5:06 PM

"We do what we do"... And it's not successful. Our offense $ucks and he refuses to change.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2014, 4:07 PM [ in reply to And before anybody asks about Kurt Fleming......... ]

too late! someone has already talked about this guy. i'm pretty sure they have created their own board, blog, video blog, and bought his jersey. But let them keep being arm chair coaches it becomes quiet comical.

###!

Oct 13, 2014, 3:47 PM

So, after narrowly avoiding complete disaster on the goal line, Clemson takes over to snap the ball one last time and run out the clock. We line cole up directly under center and gain a yard. That same simple play would have won us the FSU game and put the Louisville game away early. Im glad Morris doesn't think it would have worked at any other point.

not really fair comparison, gaining a yd on the play after

Oct 14, 2014, 7:51 AM

Louisville just lost the game probably wasnt hard. You dont really think their defense was all in it to stop that play.

Re: not really fair comparison, gaining a yd on the play after

Oct 14, 2014, 2:55 PM

If they had stuffed it for a safety or fumble, etc, they still had a chance to win the ball game at that point. Why wouldn't they have been in it?

I get tired of the same "emperor has no clothes"

Oct 13, 2014, 3:52 PM

stuff, from the president down to highly paid executives and coaches. When everybody can see it but the "leader", who now feels he has to build hedges and blinds around himself to keep making himself looking good. What is it with this anyway?

Re: I get tired of the same "emperor has no clothes"

Oct 13, 2014, 3:58 PM

Use a 6th lineman (Crowder) lined up like a TE to the left. Put Choice or Foeming in the backfield. Setup McCollough offset in the backfield to the left. Hand the ball off the running back and have the LT, Crowder, and McCollough running in front of the RB. Easily we pick up at least 3-4 yards.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I get tired of the same "emperor has no clothes"

Oct 13, 2014, 4:03 PM

Then we could just as easily setup the same formation again with Scott or Hopper lineup up to the left as a WR. The running back flips the ball to Scott or Hopper for a reverse. The entire defense would be coming towards the running back as they sellout on the run. Our receiver (Scott, Hopper, or even Humphries) runs the other way. We can get short yardage, but lining up in shotgun the same ole way every time isn't working.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DOCS had to reach way UP in the WOMB to get Chad OUT

Oct 13, 2014, 3:56 PM

Doc said common on Chad on Inches to go. Why are you staying back a foot??? Makes no sense the Doc said. Chad said that is the same thing he did in his other life and he ain't changing for nobody!!

What I took from this interview.....

Oct 13, 2014, 3:59 PM

Schuessler has an explosive arm.

Boston College game; what to expect?

Oct 13, 2014, 4:12 PM

I guess it will be the Louisville game revisited?

Another DOG FIGHT?

Clemson-24
Boston College-20

Oct 13, 2014, 4:13 PM

Let's try giving it to Beasley! Wasn't he the running back in hs?

yeah Coach, why should you change something that's clearly

Oct 13, 2014, 4:26 PM

not working? It's not like we'll get that FSU game back if you change it now, and think of all the "told you sos" that you would have to hear when lining up under center and actually converting one of these CRUCIAL short yardage situations.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2014, 4:41 PM

I agree with Morris on one point: you really couldn't have asked for much more from the Oline. Everything else here just pisxes me off. Morris might be the worst situational playcaller in the country right now. Keep what works and throw away what doesn't. I know what doesn't work because I've watched it not work 4 times now. And he needs to stop falling back on pointless arguments. You don't have Tajh anymore, so that defense has absolutely zero bearing on your current situation. You don't get to clap yourself on the back forever because you figured something out last year. And the bullshxt about the other team failing to convert short-yardage under center? That comment doesn't even dignify a response.

Hey Chad....not sure any one cares what we did in the

Oct 13, 2014, 5:03 PM

past or how successful we were in short yardage with Tajh. Tajh is gone now....time for a new play. STOP shot gun at the goal line...

Oct 13, 2014, 5:06 PM

Am I the only one who thought we played at a very slow tempo, even after Cole took over? I thought we looked much better in the second half with a little more tempo. I also thought that Morris admitted to going to conservative against Georgia when we had bad field position, and every time since then when we have bad field position, he calls the ultra-conservative plays again.

I like our coaches. I think they are great at designing plays and motivating player, and attracting recruits. What Morris needs is a little more experience on what to call when your game plan isn't going as planned.

I admit that we are having successful seasons except for the GameClucks, but we have more talent on these teams than we have had in a very long time, and there is no excuse for not scoring an offensive touchdown Saturday.

And I am still mad about the fact the 1st down run to the goal line wasn't reviewed. The ball only has to touch the goal line, correct?

Oct 13, 2014, 5:30 PM

All the Biotchin and Moaning It reminded me of watching Danny Ford teams it was 2 great defenses controling the game. Think we won a bowl game once and only kicked 3 field goals. We won Shut-up
O-line played well if any of you knew what o-line play is you would under stand. Got also remember a couple of wide recievers dropped wide open passes. When It ain't hitten on all 8 cylinders be happy you get the top of the hill.

Bottom line is Morris & DaBO "Know" we have OL & RB issues &

Oct 13, 2014, 6:14 PM

need to help the situation with better alignments or plays or personnel at the right time. GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2014, 6:46 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Morris talks shotgun snap, going under center and running the Wildcat ]

You're right, we won. We won't win out with kind of play, and I am tired of losing to the chickens.

Am I biotchin and moaning? Maybe so, but I am not wanting to replace any of the coaches, I just would like to see improvements or changes when the problem is recognized.

I'm still All In. Love DW as the quarterback, but have faith in Cole with time, and don't think I could do a better job of coaching.

I guess my thoughts were triggered by the comment about Tempo, when in reality I thought we were running slower than normal. I thought maybe since UL was lining up in one scheme, then switching to confuse our Offense, increasing the tempo could have cured that. I guess looking back that must have been true, since we seemed faster in the second half at times, and had more success with it.

News flash- Tajh is not here anymore. That's all you need

Oct 13, 2014, 7:53 PM

to know. If he were, we'd be having a diff. discussion. You have to make decisions based on your personnel. Sometimes that means re-thinking a philosophy when you're personnel is different.

Hold up...wait a minute!!!

Oct 13, 2014, 10:59 PM

Before everyone gets overly excited about the Wildcat and it being the solution, some things need to be addressed:

1) The guy handling the ball will still be 4-5 yards back to go an inch to 2 yards.

2) The Wildcat is only threatening when there is a counter to it. If you put your fastest or biggest guy in the back field, you are still going 11 on 11 and more than likely, the defense will put 11 in the box to stop it.

3) The best way to play something similar is to have someone who is as much of a threat throwing as he is running.....

So for all this I see about Fleming and putting him back there in a Wildcat formation, we would be calling are "all and out surrender" before the ball is snapped. However if we go Choice at QB, Fleming at FB, Gallman at RB, and our three TEs in Seckinger, Leggett, and McCollough with our best 5 on O-Line, we have a diversity. No defense would figure out who to stop. Then it isn't a trick play, its a short yardage play.....

Thank makes sense. We need a wildcat in place for UsUc

Oct 13, 2014, 11:29 PM

if for no other reason than to strike fear in coots during that game and to remind them of Kentucky game. BUT we need to be successful at the wildcat.

Oct 14, 2014, 12:49 PM

I do feel we need a push to find the answer to the 4th and inches situation. I'm not a coach or never could have been a player ... but I feel this situation really needs to be worked on. I feel confident in our coaches to come of with a workable solution. I support our coaches and player. Go Tigers

Replies: 88
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic