Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: ESPN's Tom Luginbill and Danny Kanell weigh in on Deshaun Watson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 1

New Story: ESPN's Tom Luginbill and Danny Kanell weigh in on Deshaun Watson

Sep 25, 2014, 5:01 PM

ESPN's Tom Luginbill and Danny Kanell weigh in on Deshaun Watson

In an exclusive interview with TigerNet, ESPN college football analysts Tom Luginbill and Danny Kanell weigh in on freshman quarterback Deshaun Watson. What do they say about Watson? Are they surprised by his early success? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: ESPN's Tom Luginbill and Danny Kanell weigh in on Deshaun Watson

Sep 25, 2014, 5:24 PM

I say fire all coaches who only sprinkled a little on Deshaun at a time. That shows that they knew what they were doing getting him ready to be the future QB for Clemson for 4 years I hope. And no body wants to know or hear that our coaches know what they are doing, so they need firing. They know to much to fit in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2014, 5:30 PM

true. They had to be sure he was ready. Plus they had to let the older guys know they weren't gonna be pushed aside.(like a certain coach in middle of SC).
They have sent a good message to the older players as well asthose coming in -show me you can play and you will.
Wouldn't trade our coaches for anyone, and thank goodness we don't have Winston...

Sep 25, 2014, 7:45 PM

I guess we can spin it anyway we like, depending on your own personal point of view. Fact is, to me, we've lost two games that we could and probably should have won. Who's in charge, making the big bucks? There has to be accountability somewhere. We're told that DW wasn't "trusted" to handle the snap under the center. Whoa! He's been here since January. Went through Spring training, played in the Spring game, went through summer training---and he still can't take a snap under center?? If I'm a coach (read expert) making a Mil+ per year, I recognize this immediately and begin working on it in Spring practice. Have him taking minimum 50 snaps under center every day. During summer drills I tell him to work with our center and take a minimum of 100 snaps a day under center every day. I would have continued this emphasis into fall camp---relentlessly. With his talent and work ethic this would no longer have been a problem. This, at least to me, is a major failure in coaching. Explain this to me. Of course the message we being given was that Cole Stoudt had won the job, and was our best bet. Yeah, right. I have real concerns about our coaching staff, like them, but hope they can learn from catastrophic mistakes. Responses welcome.

Sep 25, 2014, 7:55 PM

Says the guy invading Tnet and never will coach a game in his life

Sep 25, 2014, 11:16 PM

I don't know, they will be needing another coot coach not long from now. And they may want to put another dog in to replace the one moving out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2014, 8:05 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: ESPN's Tom Luginbill and Danny Kanell weigh in on Deshaun Watson ]

Slumdog, it is very difficult to take snaps under center when your arm is in a sling. Watson was out with an injured shoulder for the spring game.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2014, 8:11 PM

Was he out for the summer training season or the fall camp? More excuses and BS.

Sep 26, 2014, 5:27 AM

Slumdog, do you have reading comprehension problems? Reread the post I made. He was out for the spring game. Not BS, just the truth. Now read some of the garbage you post!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo said Watson didn't need to be brought along slowly.

Sep 25, 2014, 6:37 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: ESPN's Tom Luginbill and Danny Kanell weigh in on Deshaun Watson ]

It was pretty obvious that Watson was better than Stoudt from game 1 but Dabo has a history of playing seniority/loyalty over talent. (E.g. Playing Ashe & Dye over Deandre Hopkins until it became so unbearable that it cost us a loss to Auburn. Then suddenly he started Hopkins.) I guess Watson suddenly became the best QB while sitting on the bench for the first 3 series against FSU which may have cost us an ACC title and playoff berth. Here's what the coaches said. (Emphasis added for highlight.)

"It’s not that he [Watson] needs to be brought along slowly. It’s that the guy in front of him is the starter and has earned it and he [Stoudt] played great." -Dabo
http://www.tigernet.com/story/football/Swinney-addresses-Priester-dismissal-fans-Deshaun-Watson-start-12998

"He [Stoudt] has done nothing to not be the starter." -Dabo
http://www.tigernet.com/story/football/Swinney-Stoudt-deserves-respect-quarterback-controversy-13009

"You’re talking about a guy, a young man that could have transferred, and because of his LOVE for this university and everything, he’s chosen to come back. And could have transferred, sitting behind Tajh Boyd, and now he’s waited his turn…. and has played well for two ball games. And that’s gotta continue."

Cole is our starter. I've said that. Coach has said that. Coach has made it really clear. And again, going back to Cole… A young man that backed up Tajh Boyd for 3 years. I mean, he could have transferred and be playing. He probably could have played 2 of the last 3 years… he could have been playing somewhere… sat out a year. But he chose to stay here for the LOVE of the university and for our program. And I think that says a lot about him." -Chad Morris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWdZJclcqro

Re: Dabo said Watson didn't need to be brought along slowly.

Sep 25, 2014, 7:58 PM

The fact is that Cole would have started at few if any Div-1 schools. Those previously quoted statements by the coaches just reinforces my opinion that have the "Clemson Disease" of playing loyalty over talent, or they don't have a clue as far as evaluating and developing talent goes. What BS. It's sickening. Where would Cole have transferred to, P.C.?

Sep 25, 2014, 8:14 PM

Slumdog, you start out your post by writing "The fact is" and then continue by saying it is your "opinion". So if you have facts, just give us the "facts" and knock off all the negative garbage.

Sep 25, 2014, 8:23 PM

Do you have the "facts?" No, just your opinion like, I stated the facts as I saw them. I think you are dead wrong, but respect your right to disagree with me as to your interpretation of the facts. One fact is that we lost to FSU, a game I think we should have won. Disagree as you will. I think it was coaching. I really don't care that you apparently disagree with me, but respect your right to do so.

Sep 26, 2014, 5:33 AM

Slumdog, it is fine to have an opinion on any subject and you will be judged by people based on your presentation and your interpretation of the truth. Check your Pulse Rating!!!

Lastly, I never said I had the "facts", I was commenting on your use of facts and opinion. Get a life, Slumdog, breath deeply!

Sep 25, 2014, 5:41 PM

Quite obvious listening to what the espn guys had to say, what the fans were saying, this kid is the real deal and should have been playing already, not just a sprinkle here and there.The team looks like a different team when he is under center running the show versus stoudt. He should have stayed in the entire second half against georgia after those first several 3 and outs stoudt produced which completely wore out the defense for the 4th quarter. Enough of the talk well cole is a senior and he sat for 3 years behind Boyd and he has earned his chance that we have heard the first few weeks from dabo and company. If you can't handle the job you can't handle it and it was obvious he could not handle it in the second half against the dogs. Hopefully they have realized the mistake that was made and Watson will be in there the rest of the year.

You obviously did not read the entire article.***

Sep 25, 2014, 6:09 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2014, 8:01 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: ESPN's Tom Luginbill and Danny Kanell weigh in on Deshaun Watson ]

Amen.

Sep 25, 2014, 8:19 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: ESPN's Tom Luginbill and Danny Kanell weigh in on Deshaun Watson ]

HTS1, Cole Stoudt doesn't play defense.

Why are we in shotgun with 1st and goal inside the 1?***

Sep 25, 2014, 6:54 PM

Re: Why are we in shotgun with 1st and goal inside the 1?***

Sep 25, 2014, 8:09 PM

Chad just can't explain that away. Put in two big backs,
Flemming and Choice, each on opposite sides of SW. Then their defense has to worry about both sides including the middle. Put our beasts like Crowder and one of the other 320 road graders on either side of the center. Then run the QB sneak. Touchdown. We had four #### downs! Touchdown. Just MHO.

Sep 25, 2014, 8:22 PM

Nothing humble about your opinions, slumdog!

Sep 25, 2014, 8:25 PM

Are you requiring that I be humble? To whom? You? You can give up on that.

Sep 26, 2014, 5:36 AM

slumdog, go back and read your post. You are the one that posted your "humble opinion", not me. You are so angry you can't even remember what you posted and that is said.

Sep 26, 2014, 2:20 PM

If we're going to be in the shotgun in that situation at least pass the ball, we've had 100% success passing at times like that.

Sep 25, 2014, 8:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Why are we in shotgun with 1st and goal inside the 1?*** ]

Leaving the commit about Morris out of the picture. I like your thinking with the short yardage plays. We have the brutes to make the 1 yard runs.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2014, 8:32 PM

Realism, I love it. Thank you.

Sep 25, 2014, 8:27 PM [ in reply to Why are we in shotgun with 1st and goal inside the 1?*** ]

Give it a freaking break. How many times do the coaches need to tell you why we are not under center!

Sep 25, 2014, 8:34 PM

I really haven't heard a coherent explanation Only excuses.

We should have scored

Sep 26, 2014, 1:55 PM [ in reply to Why are we in shotgun with 1st and goal inside the 1?*** ]

It would be difficult for most college teams to stop a good High School team from scoring with 1st and goal from the three inch line. SMH.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope Dabo has learned a lesson here

Sep 25, 2014, 7:33 PM

Let the best man play, regardless of time put in.

I am all for whoever is best.

Sorry if other guys could not eventually shine through.

Best is best for the team, accept it or move on

The program has envested just as much as the player, in waiting on a late bloomer.

Nobody is at fault for better serving the team.

This year is definitly not a Step Foward

Sep 25, 2014, 7:53 PM

Not many teams collapse like we did against GA and FSU
A series of botched plays. Worn out and upset D at GA.

Re: This year is definitly not a Step Foward

Sep 25, 2014, 7:57 PM

No scar still stuck in same ole rut, begging help from the refs and sympathy flags. Giving up 30+ per game getting embarrassed on sec network.

Re: This year is definitly not a Step Foward

Sep 25, 2014, 8:13 PM [ in reply to This year is definitly not a Step Foward ]

I agree.

Then you're agreeing with a chicken.....

Sep 25, 2014, 8:41 PM

Are you a chicken too!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2014, 7:46 PM

Good article David. ESPN analysis of DW was spot on. Tiger Nation is glad DW is here and great things will happen in the future with him at QB. GO TIGERS !!!

Sep 25, 2014, 8:14 PM

If he can overcome the coaching.

Sep 25, 2014, 8:19 PM

Glad to see slumdog is an expert. Coaches don't know anything even though they watch these guys every day. If Fleming was so good he would be in on every play.

Sep 25, 2014, 8:31 PM

First off, I've never described myself as an expert, although I'm a long-time student of the game. I am an ardent fan, and as such I will continue to express my opinions as I see fit. If this this bothers you then tough shi##, live with it.

Sep 25, 2014, 8:36 PM

Student of the game?
You stated that Watson played in the spring game. I bet most people on this board know that he did not. His arm was in a sling. Besides the article tells you Danny Kennell said he wished he could've seen him in the spring game.

And it is not a fact to say we should've won. Fact is we lost they won.

Sep 25, 2014, 8:38 PM

Sigh.

Sep 25, 2014, 8:43 PM

You're a slug

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 26, 2014, 4:36 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: ESPN's Tom Luginbill and Danny Kanell weigh in on Deshaun Watson ]

> First off, I've never described myself as an expert,
> although I'm a long-time student of the game. I am an
> ardent fan, and as such I will continue to express my
> opinions as I see fit. If this this bothers you then
> tough shi##, live with it.

1. You can't be a student of the game if you think it only takes one spring practice to get a spread QB who's never taken snaps adjusted to being under center. Go do your research on That topic. 2. You also can't be a fan if you didn't know that he didn't even play in the spring game. Unless of course you aren't really a tiger fan which would then explain a lot. 3. Coaching didn't leave those points on the field. Battle whiffed a block,that's 7 we left on the field. Stoudt missed a pass, another 7. Then, Lakip missed a FG,that's 3. We left 17 points on the field how in the heck is that coaching?!

Sep 25, 2014, 8:24 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: ESPN's Tom Luginbill and Danny Kanell weigh in on Deshaun Watson ]

Slumdog, is that post "fact" or your "opinion" again?

Sep 25, 2014, 8:37 PM

I give up. You guess. I owe you no explanation, although that may be hard for a you to accept, live with it.

Sep 25, 2014, 8:49 PM

slum = a$$
a$$ = a$$ hat
a$$ hat= a$$ hat clown
So therefore...
slumdog = a$$ hat clown dog

This needed to be said and pointed out.
And that is all I have to say about that. I will comment again next year.

Such A Punk

Sep 25, 2014, 9:04 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: ESPN's Tom Luginbill and Danny Kanell weigh in on Deshaun Watson ]

doesn't matter when dw started, you cocklovers are uptight cause you know you lose the next 3 to 4 yrs. Going to get your a$$ handed to you and there is nothing you can do. it's over - live with it

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Also like what Luginbill

Sep 25, 2014, 9:28 PM

said about DW being on an even keel. I know Morris has said he wished DW would show more emotion, but i think a more focused approach helps a quarterback more. At times I think Boyd's ups and downs hurt his performance. I hope DW doesn't change his demeanor for anyone.

Sep 25, 2014, 10:39 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: ESPN's Tom Luginbill and Danny Kanell weigh in on Deshaun Watson ]

Fortunately Watson got the offense out of the whole from his own ten yard line.

Had he not done that, Dabo would have put Stoudt back in. Dabo has ruined Morris.

Sep 26, 2014, 5:40 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: ESPN's Tom Luginbill and Danny Kanell weigh in on Deshaun Watson ]

You are correct, you don't owe me anything but I would think that a poster would have enough respect for others, and himself, that he would engage his brain before running off at the mouth like you do. Has there ever been a time or situation where the Tigers or coaching staff did anything right, in your "humble opinion"?

Sep 26, 2014, 12:02 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: ESPN's Tom Luginbill and Danny Kanell weigh in on Deshaun Watson ]

How much coaching have you done, slumdog? You seem to be the expert.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2014, 10:34 PM

Yes will have great coaches. Lets give ourselves a chance to win. Lets not be one dimensional on offense which will be study and very predictable by the old school, very experiences, long time coaches who loves to dissect each and every situation of the game. All ways studying, all ways thinking, all looking for opportunities, breakdowns, setups, and weakness to gain an advantage by any means possible. I hope we can use every resource and every strategy possible to give us the best chance to win or the best chance to gain an advantage throughout the game. No matter what we do, high risk or conservative, fast or slow, knowledgeable or strength, spread or jumbo package. We want avoid adversity, it going to happen at some point. But success is always sweeter when you work hard and paid a price for it. Lets keep fighting with all our pieces available(players and coaches alike) and find a way to win. Just like our defense. If we going to loose, lets going down knowing that we pulled out all the straws and leaving and knowing we left nothing on the table to regret. Fight with many, fight with plenty, let chip fall where they may. Crictism isn't going nowhere. no matter how good or how bad you are. Stay focus,keep fighting, and remember DON'T QUIT!

Message was edited by: oldschtiger70®

Sep 26, 2014, 3:52 AM

I think I like your sentiment, but your sentences just made my brain go plaid.

Replies: 51
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic